Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Huambo81a
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:20 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Huambo81a wrote:
I test rode one a few years ago, and they are fantastic fun.

They rev to about 10 or something, but you need to be changing at about 6k, as these bikes are all about torque, and it trails off around there.

Handling is as you would expect, a bit spongy but very involving. They are a heavy bike so you need to muscle it about.

They sound awesome. Even sitting at the traffic lights, there is a smoooooth bassy rumble under your pants.

I have always wanted one but they hold their value well, and I just can't afford one!

Still 3k for an 01-02

Tldr. Awesome. Buy.

So to summarise, they have cheap suspension, overweight, and slow. However they sound good and make your pants rumble (I think you can get tablets for that?).

https://expatlog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tense-dragons-den-o.gif

I'm out.

For me it's important that a motorbike makes me feel good.

There isn't a specific set of rules that manufacturers can follow to inject 'feel good' into a machine. It just happens.

Overweight?
Compared to what? An S1000rr? . . . .well . . .yes. It has more metal on it.

Cheap suspension?
Your right, it's probably 9 seconds slower around Silverstone than an S1000rr. But its good enough.

Sound good? Yes, sound is part of the experience for me, or would you like an electric motorbike?

Try one. Things are often more than the sum of their parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:54 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikesaa309 wrote:
speaking of radiator guards, maybe a noob question (well no maybe about it) but does it effect the function of the radiator?

Looking at it, it reduces a fair bit of the exposed area of the radiator surly resulting in less air hitting the radiator?

Air hitting the rad doesn't cool the engine... air going THROUGH the rad cools the engine.

It does that by getting hot. Hot air expands. Means more air (by volume) comes out the back of the radiator than goes in the front, make sense?

OK... now put a radiator, full, square in the air-flow... lets say it's 100cm2 in area, and you shove it along at 30mph, aprox 12m/s. Means you have about 120L of air hitting the rad per second.

At 80 Deg C, About the temp a rad thermostat is set to stabilise block temp at; air has increased in volume by about 20% over what it was at 20 Degree room temp.

So if all the air hitting the rad; 120L gets warmed 60 deg as it passes through... you will get about 140L of air out.... BUT, the space behind the rad is still only 100cm2 and the bikes still only going 12m/s, so space for that air is still only 120L of space for it to live in.

What happens when you try and cram 140L of something into a space of 120L?

Pressure goes up.

And you get a pressure 'stand off', of hot air behind and in the rad, resisting fresh cold air being pushed through the front; so not all the air that hits the rad, will go through it anyway.

Principle of the Nacar duct; Ducting the rad, presenting a smaller area of duct opening to the air-flow, than you have radiator area; as little as 1/3 the rad area; you can actually increase the radiators cooling efficiency.

First of all; directing less air at the rad, you reduce the 'dam' effect and the amount of air standing in-front of the rad, not going through it, so more is actually likely to flow through. More; traveling more slowly; spends more time in the rad, in contact with finning, able to absorb heat it can carry away.

So 'choking' the flow or air to the rad a little, wont necesserily reduce the cooling efficiency, and can, actually aid it, and upright rad, un-ducted, stuck on thr front of the frame isn't terribly efficient to begin with.

Though, on GSX1400, it is an oil cooler, rather that water-rad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huambo81a wrote:

Overweight?
Compared to what? An S1000rr? . . . .well . . .yes. It has more metal on it.

No, compared to other bikes in it's class. It is heavier than the XJR 1300 and ZRX1200 by a bit, and a lot heavier than the Bandit 1200. All 3 of these bikes put out a similar amount of horsepower as the 1400 stock, apart from the Z1200, that is from the factory at least, considerably more powerful.

Unless you know what you are doing the GSX1400 is limited in first and second gear as well, to contain the mighty 100 horsepowahs! Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2