Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Written off GSXR --> Daytime Rider (£900 all in!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 01 Mar 2014    Post subject: Written off GSXR --> Daytime Rider (£900 all in!) Reply with quote

After my accident I thought that would be the end of riding. But I was wrong Very Happy . For the price I was able to retain it and for what I need to put into it for it to be a summer ride out and a possible track bike it was a no brainer....

The idea is to first getting it look like this, then maybe some paint or decals:

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/joshsilverman/ed4ef38589f75a81c414f45b05d775ee_zpse4d1d295.jpg

So my gsxr went from this

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/joshsilverman/17522b2f4285f456f02ec3fcf86479f8_zpsbbae207b.jpg

To this Crying or Very sad

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/joshsilverman/78474de2d5682933810d7b0127ba54cf_zps70dbfeff.jpg

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/joshsilverman/5b6791085bdfb6ed659f483d0dd86577_zps58c38111.jpg

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/joshsilverman/5fadb133d131e7806e326b8bb501383a_zps850880c5.jpg

Had some time today so took my first go at stripping a bike. Trying to retain all fixings and also parts that I can sell in future if I no longer need them:

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/joshsilverman/312c7a11ffa44427037e2af65234c68e_zps41d86219.jpg

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/joshsilverman/f676faa63961cff416d1fae2166932a3_zpsfdf8594b.jpg

Surprisingly it was pretty easy. No nuts or bolts were a massive struggle to get off. I noticed that I have a leak for the rad coolant and as it's had a bash there I may just get a new one anyway.

Was able to refit the akra and also remove the SET valve completely.

2 hours later and this is how I left it, notice the pile of plastics at the back which are toast:

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/joshsilverman/c88eff3788d0719850fb24c23d8b66fa_zps32f60a1c.jpg

So the next stage is to take off the rad, replace the crash bung, test brakes, test suspension and various safety bits, get some track fairings and other bits.

May be a week or two before the next update but will need this done by spring!!! Mr. Green

Last edited by j.silvs on 20:18 - 10 Apr 2014; edited 2 times in total

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 02 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look pretty good naked Very Happy

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 02 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that but not so sure about the street fighter look. However this gets me thinking...

https://www.bugbro.com/06StreetFighters-H-CBR954RR/honda_cbr_929_streetfighter_181.jpg

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 02 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks nice not to overkill

fozzym
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:21 - 02 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may already now this and have done it but worth mentioning. Undo all nuts and bolts to release and pressure which is sure to have been caused by the crash.

Most important being all the front end ie: all the yoke bolts, top yoke bolt and the bearing nuts, clipons.
Swingarm mount, wheel spindles, shock mounts, engine mounts, subframe ect ect etc.

Basically if it can be undone, undo it.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 02 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it could be a nice little project really!

I would strongly advise stripping the whole bike down, and rebuilding it. For the same reasons as said above and you may find things that need replacing or tlc that you weren't aware of. Better safe than sorry. Can be done in a day so not much reason not too

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I wont be able to do a re-build as I don't really have the knowledge for it unfortunately.

I was going to get someone down to have a good look over the bike but will cost me some time in labour.

Will defo look at relieving pressure etc.

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 10 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

little update. The following has now been ordered and will be fitted within the next couple of weeks:

New crash bobbins
new pazzo levers
full race fairings
bar end weights
indictor blank plates and led strip for brake

Pics to follow on the install

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 10 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff. Glad you're still a biker! (Once a biker and all that). Look forward to those pics.

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
Cool stuff. Glad you're still a biker! (Once a biker and all that). Look forward to those pics.

Cheers mate.

Will defo be updating once the pics come through.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:38 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.silvs wrote:
led strip for brake

Is this going to be track only or are you going to tape that up on the road?

I wouldn't bother with any light if you want to sail through an MOT. Taping it up will pass an MOT mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:03 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offroad use and single seater/unable to carry passengers due to lack of pegs etc.

You will need to tape it up for the MOT.

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few things:

Its daytime use only

I have to have a brake light for daytime use

I am not worried about MOT and failing

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
You can only get away with running no indicators if the bike has a valid exemption and is registered as such, but as far as I'm aware it has to be registered as an enduro bike or a trials bike for that to apply.

I know this doesn't apply to this particular bike, however for anyone who doesn't know, you do not need indicators on a bike manufactured/registered before 1986, whether or not it is an Enduro or Trials bike!

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To qualify for a daytime MOT your bike must “have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked.” This applies to headlamps, position lamps and indicators. The situation with stop lamps is significantly more complicated. Machines do not need to have a stop lamp fitted if they cannot exceed 25mph, were first used before 1st January 1936 or were first used before 1st April 1986 and do not exceed 50cc. Those first used before 1st April 1986 must have a stop lamp that operates from at least one brake control and those used on or after that date must have a stop lamp operated from both brakes. There is an added if not widespread complication for bikes first used from 1st April 1986 which were approved with a stop lamp activated by one control. There were very few of these and test inspectors are instructed to fail a bike only if they are certain the stop lamp was designed to be operated by both brake controls and isn’t.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:20 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.silvs wrote:
Just a few things:

Its daytime use only

I have to have a brake light for daytime use

I am not worried about MOT and failing

NO YOU DO NOT. Laughing

NO LIGHTS. END OF.

If you have a brake light, you WILL fail.

I have zero lights on my daytime bikes and pass, I have a brake light, it fails.

That text you have just details what does not require a stop lamp. You have taken it the wrong way Thumbs Up
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:56 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't "require" E marks, but I'm sure some 5-0 would get picky if they were really really trying to do you for it.

Note my "Iron Cross" rear light wasn't marked, nor is the KTM Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:07 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to have a brake light but there's nothing that says you'd fail for having one.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:10 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You don't have to have a brake light but there's nothing that says you'd fail for having one.

You have all or nothing. I've done far to many with such a flexible tester I think I'd know by now Laughing

Tape and an LED strip is what I'd have if I could be bothered. But I can't as I'd rather have no lights.

I CBA with arguing, but you must have zero lights.

You need...

Sspeedo, it does not have to work.
Horn, it needs to work.
Full size number plate, it does not need a reflector.

That is the bare minimum for an MOT.

If you decide to fit a brake light or indicators, remove them for the MOT.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:17 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytime MOT's vary a lot between testers. There's nothing which says having a brake light means you'd fail the MOT.

I've had two daytime only MOT's which were from different MOT places and both bikes had brake lights. Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:18 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I CBA with arguing, but you must have zero lights.

You need...

We know what's needed but there's nothing that says having a brake light is a MOT failure.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:29 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a light is fitted, all lights must be fitted.

It is a stop light, therefore a light.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:49 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m1s01000301.htm

Which part of the MOT test manual says anything about having a stop light being a reason for failing the MOT?

"If a stop lamp is fitted, it must meet the requirements of this inspection"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2