Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting my 2 stroke fix - Yamaha RXS 100

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Show & Tell by G (10 Mar 2014 - 19:44)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Update!

MOT was booked this morning for 8:30. I got all my documents together, and took the RXS out on the road for pretty much the first time. Loaded up my bag with all the essential tools (just in case!!) and jumped on, stopping at the petrol station and cash machine on the way.

What a blast! It has a nice kick to the engine and certainly gets moving alright Laughing

I was a running a little early (in case of any issues on the way) so I stopped off at the nearby lake for a quick breath of air in the sunshine. Also got a few photos.. just had a quick play in Photoshop, off the iPhone 5.

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/Photo22-03-2014081454_zps81fcf26e.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/Photo22-03-2014080800_zps9d9e1848.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/Photo22-03-2014081422_zps8825695b.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/Photo22-03-2014080823_zps81e3f7fa.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/Photo22-03-2014081514_zps766691d6.jpg

And then the time came for MOT...! Shocked

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/Photo22-03-2014111534_zps239a29c7.jpg

Embarassed Oh Embarassed

(forgot to put the damn split pins back in!)

"But what's that you say, Mr MOT man? Some split pins you have there? And a pair of pliers? Oh... it's all fixed is it? and a free re-test on the spot for no extra cost? Why thank you Sir!!" Razz

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/Photo22-03-2014102007_zps26981889.jpg

Thumbs Up Mr. Green Thumbs Up

So that's it, I stopped off at the Post Office on the way back home, gave them the new owners slip (still not got the V5 through) and bought tax for a hefty £17 Laughing

And now it's all legal!!!!!!! Karma

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road legal RSX 100 = lots of two-smoke back road goodness Thumbs Up Thumbs Up = win!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSX v CB250RS Thinking Smile

BT45s on each to make it fair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT wrote:
RSX v CB250RS Thinking Smile

Damm! that`s a hard one , they are both great little bikes in their own right.
As much as I like the little RSX , it would have to be the CB250RS for me.
Now if there was a MZ Supa5 in the mix? , = two smoky goodness at a size that could actually pull me along Laughing .

Hats off to the OP for keeping another little two-stroke on the road Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Indeed. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT wrote:
Quote:
Indeed. Thumbs Up

Cheers guys! Thumbs Up

It was in too good a condition not to, and didn't need too much work! May even try the Central London commute on it this week Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you have the fuel tank off, I would carefully wire brush the underside and then slap on a nice thick coat of Hammerite if it were my bike.

Congrats on the MOT though, and I hope you have los of backroads 2stroke fun now! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have passed MOTs numerous times without split pins in the wheels - they are definitely not needed. Only the torque arm nut needs to be secured - and even this can do without a split pin if the bolt has no hole for one and a nyloc nut is used.

Have had various bikes that didn't have split pin holes in the spindles, such as the H100A.

Looks like a right nit picking bugger did this one. But great news it's now legal and ready roll Cool

All hail the power of the RXS Razz

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only part of the motorcycle MOT tester's handbook to mention split pins:

Check the rear brake torque arm is secure and that fasteners are secured by self-locking nuts or castellated nuts with split-pins or R-clips
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say the last thing you want is for it to fail on something stupid, we even bought some for it!!!

Cracking news though boy, lets get this rideout sorted.

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:43 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:

Check the rear brake torque arm is secure and that fasteners are secured by self-locking nuts or castellated nuts with split-pins or R-clips

But in the section on suspension there is this as a reason for rejection:-

a loose wheel spindle or securing nut(s) or locking device missing or insecure

All the best

Keith

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
27cows wrote:

But in the section on suspension there is this as a reason for rejection:-

a loose wheel spindle or securing nut(s) or locking device missing or insecure

All the best

Keith

I had a guy with 35 years of bike MOT experience tell me that split pins weren't required in the wheel spindles. That was good enough for me.

The reference to 'securing nut or locking device' is to cover bikes that don't use traditional spindles.

As I said, many spindles don't have a split pin hole. Reckon I must have had 50 or so MOTs pass through on assorted bikes over the years without a split pin/R-clip in one or both wheels. Never once had anyone mention it, far less fail for it.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:22 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:

The reference to 'securing nut or locking device' is to cover bikes that don't use traditional spindles.

As I said, many spindles don't have a split pin hole.

The split pin missing is a locking device that is missing. If there is no split pin hole then that is how it is designed and it isn't missing. Leaving one out is though.

All the best

Keith

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:13 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
27cows wrote:

As I said, many spindles don't have a split pin hole.

The split pin missing is a locking device that is missing. If there is no split pin hole then that is how it is designed and it isn't missing. Leaving one out is though.

All the best

Keith

There can't be many testers who would fail for that. And one explicitly said they weren't needed - so he was obviously using his own (sensible) interpretation. The place I currently have my bikes MOT'd has a pretty picky tester and he passed my old RXS through without a rear split pin (had forgotten to put one in after changing tyre).

A good tester would put pins in if he felt they were needed and just add 50p to the bill. This happened to me when I put a bike in recently which didn't have a rear reflector. Guy told it was missing and he'd put a little stick on one on the plate for me.

I like the old school guys.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good testers are a godsend. I took my Bandit in last week and it failed on front wheel bearings. I bought the bearings and swapped them right there in the MOT bay, with a couple of loaned tools Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he was being picky, but at the end of the day looking out for my safety - he sorted it all out for me within a few minutes at no extra cost and just created the fail sheet for record of the work done by them. The pass was also printed straight after the fail before he even did the work Laughing

He's the kind of guy who tries to help people out and not just a con-artist. Has helped me out with my Mini when it needed a new sill welded, let me come back for a free re-test when sorted, and 'created' an imaginary seat cover when my Hornet was missing passenger foot pegs.

So I'm very happy it's done. Will get it out for a bit today, give it a clean over at the same time I do my CBR as that's been gathering a bit of winter dirt as my regular ride!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:25 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:

There can't be many testers who would fail for that. And one explicitly said they weren't needed - so he was obviously using his own (sensible) interpretation.

Not sure ignoring what is specifically mentioned in the manual comes down to interpretation Laughing .

27cows wrote:
A good tester would put pins in if he felt they were needed and just add 50p to the bill.

Just like the MOT tester in question did (but without the 50p charge).

Few MOT testers would want to risk the penalties for the sake of a couple of pence of split pin when it could be checked round the corner by VOSA. And failing it with a quick fix shows a decent number of fails when the bureaucracy checks up.

All the best

Keith

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duvet wrote:
Perhaps he was being picky, but at the end of the day looking out for my safety - he sorted it all out for me within a few minutes at no extra cost and just created the fail sheet for record of the work done by them. The pass was also printed straight after the fail before he even did the work Laughing

He's the kind of guy who tries to help people out and not just a con-artist. Has helped me out with my Mini when it needed a new sill welded, let me come back for a free re-test when sorted, and 'created' an imaginary seat cover when my Hornet was missing passenger foot pegs.

So I'm very happy it's done. Will get it out for a bit today, give it a clean over at the same time I do my CBR as that's been gathering a bit of winter dirt as my regular ride!

Fair play to the guy then. The one and only time I've ever had a wheel nut come loose, it had an R-clip in place (the thread of the nut failed).

Something that I have had loosen a few times on various things is the swingarm spindle nut - and that isn't required to have a split pin or locking nut, yet it's potentially lethal when the handling suddenly goes to hell.

Guy who does my MOTs trusts my experience. He knows I wouldn't ride something unless it was safe. Properly tightened wheel nuts don't come undone of their own accord.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

All the best

Keith

This is right in my experience, if the bolt has the appropriate hole for a splitpin or clip, then it's to be present. If it has no hole there is no need to install one.

The matter could be compared to seat belts. I would quite happily drive in a car that was made before seat belts were implemented commonplace, but you wouldn't take the seatbelts out of your own car (not least because it's illegal), but it's an extra safety device that 'if installed as standard, or fitted later', must be utilised to the full.

Of course, you can always replace the spindle with one that does not have a hole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:

Fair play to the guy then. The one and only time I've ever had a wheel nut come loose, it had an R-clip in place (the thread of the nut failed).

Bit of a good idea to have that safety device in place then really isnt it?
Wink

A free re-test means you can have time to go sort out the failures yourself. Not everyone has the 'oh thanks, you fixed my bike and im happy to pay the charge'. It can be quite the opposite!

APT Motorcycles

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:25 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As an aside, at the Manchester bike show today there was a stand with some old stock exhausts on it. They had a Micron expansion chamber for an RXS100. Guy said he wanted about £50 for it. New but a few bits of rust on it.

All the best

Keith
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:37 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:

Cheap, £180 for a new one or around 100 quid whenever sold on ebay

I was umming and ahhing about buying it anyway to add to my spare parts pile for bikes I may buy in the future!

All the best

Keith

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:
27cows wrote:

Bit of a good idea to have that safety device in place then really isnt it?
Wink

A free re-test means you can have time to go sort out the failures yourself. Not everyone has the 'oh thanks, you fixed my bike and im happy to pay the charge'. It can be quite the opposite!

Not really. Back end wiggled madly and only the fact that I was doing under 30 stopped me from coming off. There was massive side to side wheel movement - with the R-clip still in place. Did absolutely nothing Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7