Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pitbike Supermoto - Round 1/2 race report - UPDATE

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Pitbike Supermoto - Round 1/2 race report - UPDATE Reply with quote

So further to this thread: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=275500

Yesterday was the first round of the 2014 championship. It's a little different this year as the format has changed slightly. There's two 15 minute practice sessions, followed by four races. The first three races are mixed grid starts, the idea being you start one from near the front, one from the middle and one from the back. Your points from those races are then totalled up for your grid placement for the final race. I think the last race is worth more points or something.

My best lap time last year was a 42.9.

I'm bike number 11 (it's the easiest number available to make out of tape) - Here's the starting grids for the first three races:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/998934_10151934827126441_152241734_n.jpg

Race 1: Started eighth, got a good launch off the line and was running third behind my brother, managed to put a good few laps together and overtook him for second with two laps to go, then I slowed down a bit too much, made a mistake on the last corner and he beat me to the line by about half a wheel. Gutted! Still, got a third place.

Race 2: Started 11th, bit of a crap start and got caught up behind another rider, took a tight line into a corner on the second lap and lost the rear on the throttle. Didn't hurt, got back on, made a couple of places up and finished fifth.

Race 3: Started on pole instead of second. Got undertaken going into the first corner but went round the outside and was still leading, went through the next few bends and looked behind me and nobody was there! Carried on and got passed soon enough by Jim and Darryl (they're stupid fast, ex BSB or something) and got another third place. Thumbs Up

Race 4 (Final): My points scored meant I was starting from second place on the grid. I got an 'ok' start and slotted into third place which I had a bloody hard time defending from Dean, who if I'm honest is quicker than me, I just used dirty tactics, elbows and things. He got past me with two laps to go then ran wide and highsided, I just missed him and crossed the line in 3rd, bloody knackered but I got a trophy...!

Best lap time was a 41.8, just over a second quicker than last year. Thumbs Up

https://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y459/nark_square/9B6FD5E7-45BB-4611-92F0-43664C36FC0F-15437-000012E0C95FD279_zpsb4a8cc7e.jpg?t=1395045506

Which leaves the standings after round 1 (of 9) like this:

https://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y459/nark_square/1D6CC6E8-1793-4599-B60F-1858EDFF49E2-15437-000012E0D0B0903B_zpsa6759564.jpg?t=1395045506

P2!!

I'm also in the novice and fat bastard (Class B) categories so I think I'm leading them, but probably not for much longer. Laughing

The rules this year state you're allowed a Z40 cam, which I haven't got fitted, so I will try and sort that out before next race so I don't lose on the straights as much. Also my brakes, err, don't - So I'll be buying a twin pot caliper instead of my single pot POS.

Other mods to come include a 1/4 turn throttle and I'm going to go for 12" wheels instead of 10", as the rules allow it this year and I struggle for ground clearance.

Time to spend some more money....!

Last edited by garth on 14:20 - 16 Apr 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:47 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

O dear.

Sick parents I tell you. Sick.

I'll likely put some moolah away and try this next year. I'll try and dig details from other thread but hopefully I'll make this a regular thing. Need something fun to kickstart the biking fun really.

More photos?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I'll likely put some moolah away and try this next year. I'll try and dig details from other thread but hopefully I'll make this a regular thing. Need something fun to kickstart the biking fun really.

More photos?

It's the best thing I've ever done bike-wise.

Race ready bike = £500ish, transponder is £100ish, leathers etc needed. Entry is £40 for race day of whole days practice, £25 for half days practice.

Just bought my 12" wheels. Cool

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transponder, can you buy your own one, specific type or something?

Sounds like a laugh to be honest, set engine sizes and that?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Transponder, can you buy your own one, specific type or something?

Sounds like a laugh to be honest, set engine sizes and that?

AMB ones. Yellow one is fine like they use on karts. Can hire £10 a day.

YX140 engines, Z40 cam is allowed. Standard other than that.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The money I was going to use to do this this year ended up getting spent. Sad

Will hopefully be more organized next year and be in it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:06 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
Will hopefully be more organized next year and be in it.

Lol, bunch of BCF wankers flying round at high speed (lol) on little chinese wheelie wagons. This will end well.

garth, you say standard, does that relate to swing arm, exhaust, air filter and shit?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's le regs:

Matchams Pit Bike Series wrote:
CLASS REGULATIONS
Frame – Any Chinese frame, not including aluminium frames.
Engine – YX 140 with standard ancillaries. No performance parts or internal tuning permitted.
Cam – Z-Cam is permitted
Carb - 26mm round slide only
Wheels – 10” + 12" wheels. Spoked Only.
Tyres Dry – SAVA MC18 or MC31 (if using 12" MC31 100/90-12 front and rear)
Tyres Wet – SAVA MC18 or MC31 (if using 12" MC31 100/90-12 front and rear)
Tyre Warmers - Not permitted
Rear Shock – Must not exceed £150rrp
Forks – Any Chinese forks. Replacement oil and washers are permitted.
Brake – Chinese Manufactured Brakes only
Brake Pads – Open
Exhausts – C90 ONLY
Bars – Open, bar ends must be fitted.
Sump Plug - Must be lock wired
Crash Bobbins - Must be fitted to front and rear axles, and foot pegs
Catch Tanks - Must be fitted on all overflows
Hand Guards - Must be fitted

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:41 - 17 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Here's le regs:

Matchams Pit Bike Series wrote:
CLASS REGULATIONS
Frame – Any Chinese frame, not including aluminium frames.
Engine – YX 140 with standard ancillaries. No performance parts or internal tuning permitted.
Cam – Z-Cam is permitted
Carb - 26mm round slide only
Wheels – 10” + 12" wheels. Spoked Only.
Tyres Dry – SAVA MC18 or MC31 (if using 12" MC31 100/90-12 front and rear)
Tyres Wet – SAVA MC18 or MC31 (if using 12" MC31 100/90-12 front and rear)
Tyre Warmers - Not permitted
Rear Shock – Must not exceed £150rrp
Forks – Any Chinese forks. Replacement oil and washers are permitted.
Brake – Chinese Manufactured Brakes only
Brake Pads – Open
Exhausts – C90 ONLY
Bars – Open, bar ends must be fitted.
Sump Plug - Must be lock wired
Crash Bobbins - Must be fitted to front and rear axles, and foot pegs
Catch Tanks - Must be fitted on all overflows
Hand Guards - Must be fitted

Wow...

Well, thats scary. Chinese brakes, C90 exhaust on a minimum 30mm bore engine, chinese forks.

Game on.

Gonna grab some LuckyMX thing I reckon, sure thats within the regs, cram a 140 in there and beef the fucker up with proper chow mein suspension.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy, this looks to be a good rolling chassis:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Stomp-Pitbike-Rolling-Chassis-Super-Moto-Klx-/261423226546?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3cde09deb2

I've got my 12" wheels (2.15" F 2.50" R), tubes, rim tapes and QA throttle through. Just waiting on my tyres, head gasket and brake caliper.

https://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y459/nark_square/9F45985D-AC64-4976-A755-C3C3B257EEA7-713-0000013E0FBE7E4F_zpse54b98e2.jpg?t=1395224685

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:29 - 19 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts are they held mate, are they all over? Got any decent run down of locale so I know what I'm in for?

The vet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:51 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garth good luck with your season , have you any plans on doing any NMRRC rounds?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vet wrote:
Hi Garth good luck with your season , have you any plans on doing any NMRRC rounds?

Thanks mate

I'm too far down south to warrant doing any I think. Plus I'd get dicked Laughing

Tyres turned up today and they're wrong, so they're going back. Kinda ruins what I had planned this weekend but I'll get the right ones next time Mad

The vet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:07 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I run around at the back but it's so much fun I don't care

Last round is at lydd that's got to be tempting

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you know if able to race or enter with a monkey?

I can see one of 2 issues with the NMRCC regs that a monkey may not be able to fulfil but interested to know if doable?

The vet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:03 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Would you know if able to race or enter with a monkey?

I can see one of 2 issues with the NMRCC regs that a monkey may not be able to fulfil but interested to know if doable?

I don't see a monkey bike being a problem
If your seriously considering this ,then PM me your issues & ill find you some answers Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 21 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rule monkeys don't run spoked wheels, they cost the earth and most are 2 part of CNC ones. Could of course mod swing arm to run pit bike wheels but then might as well run a pit bike?

Pretty much tick all boxes with just a few questions regarding what's opened tyres? I presume they mean no slicks?

Quite fancy the idea of building up a bike from scratch as opposed to tinkering with the road going monkey.

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this mate...posted in your old thread. Well up for this when I get a bike sorted Very Happy

Would this be a decent bike if I can knock the price down slightly? Would rather get one with suspension and everything sorted instead of buying it as I hit the limits of the stock stuff. Would this be able to race with the club that you do?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400681836480
Thundersport Pre-National Sport 600 2014 #92
EMRA Roadstock 600 2013 - 3rd
www.facebook.com/MattJohnstonRacing

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:39 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Devil wrote:
Just seen this mate...posted in your old thread. Well up for this when I get a bike sorted Very Happy

Would this be a decent bike if I can knock the price down slightly? Would rather get one with suspension and everything sorted instead of buying it as I hit the limits of the stock stuff. Would this be able to race with the club that you do?

That's a good spec bike but you can't run mag wheels in matchams series. I'm also not sure on the forks, mine are standard with thick oil and though ultimately crude they don't hold you back.

Also need c90 exhaust and the rear tyre's too wide.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:43 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
As a rule monkeys don't run spoked wheels, they cost the earth and most are 2 part of CNC ones. Could of course mod swing arm to run pit bike wheels but then might as well run a pit bike?

Pretty much tick all boxes with just a few questions regarding what's opened tyres? I presume they mean no slicks?

Quite fancy the idea of building up a bike from scratch as opposed to tinkering with the road going monkey.

I can give you measurements for SDG wheel specs if needed.

Open tyres - in NMMRCCRCCCMRRRCCNN or whatever Laughing you can run whatever you like - PMT are well regarded. Ive only used Sava's.

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Red Devil wrote:

That's a good spec bike but you can't run mag wheels in matchams series. I'm also not sure on the forks, mine are standard with thick oil and though ultimately crude they don't hold you back.

Also need c90 exhaust and the rear tyre's too wide.

Do they not run an open class I could run in? If not I might just pop along for a test day for a laugh and have a blast with you.

Suspension is one of the key things in going fast mate so I bet you will start getting held back by yours soon.

I live in Newbury so only an hour or so up the road, if you did fancy doing an NMRRC round then you could drive up to mine and we can stick both of them in the back of my van to save fuel monies. Thumbs Up

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh a sleepover! Lol. Could be up for that.

Yep it's on my 'to do' list. I've got a decent shock at least.

No open class and not allowed on circuit without c90 pipe.

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gheyyy. Can you link me up for the exhaust I would need? Is it literally a standard C90 zaust?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mate just standard one welded at the header.

You've got me looking at forks now.

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:

You've got me looking at forks now.

One of the first thing I was taught when I started racing was spend your money on your tyres and suspension. Guess your standard ones aren't adjustable?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5