Yamaha MT-07

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:32 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Yamaha MT-07 Reply with quote

https://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/DeejayP999/MT07Web2.jpg

Picked this up 2 weeks ago and figured I'd jot down a few thoughts in case anyone's interested (probably not!).

I'd got fed up with the unreliability of my 1250 Bandit and decided to have a re-appraisal of my biking needs. Commuting is my main use these days, fun's still on the agenda but I don't need mega power ā€“ especially when it comes wrapped in a bike that's more complex than needs be. In any case, I've always had a minimalist streak when it comes to motorcycles and I was drawn to the back to basics aspects of the MT07 - no ABS, no fly by wire, electronic power settings or any of that stuff.

First impressions are of a light and compact bike but still with sufficient room for taller riders (I'm 6'1" with a 33" inside leg and found it fine). I actually found it more spacious than the apparently larger MT09, which seemed to tuck my legs further back.

Build quality is good and cost cutting is only really evident in the digital instruments, which are clearly cheaper than traditional clocks, and an abundance of self-colour black plastic in place of painted items - good sensible measures which in no way detract from the overall appearance.

Nice touches abound: From the minimalist frame, using the engine as a stressed member, to the elegant rear shock arrangement hinging off the back of the engine. Everything has been designed for weight saving and simplicity. Even the pillion footrests are a minimalist work of art. 179Kg wet. That's light.

I test rode the MT-07 back-to-back with the Honda NC750X and the difference is night and day. Both bikes have a similar engine architecture, both are designed with an eye to economy and both pull strongly from low revs. But the Yamaha is far smoother and 50% more powerful than the Honda.

The engine is willing and very smooth for a twin, giving off a muted, but purposeful, burble. I imagine that it would sound very good, in a traditional way, with a more open pipe. Never mind all the talk of 270 degree crankshafts and V-Twin feel, it reminds me more than anything (in a good way) of a well sorted 1960s Brit bike.

The first 5 gear ratios are fairly close with the sixth following the current fashion of being a definite overdrive. I'm gratified to find that over the first tank of fuel the bike appears to have managed 62 mpg. I fully expect this to increase with normal use ā€“ at the moment, Iā€™m still in the break-in period and varying the revs, speeding up and slowing down, far more than I normally would.

The handling is fantastic on a smooth road although the firm suspension can be a little jiggly on the rougher, post winter, British roads. The overriding impression is of a very light bike which changes direction instantly. Coupled to the flexible engine, this makes for a pretty decent back roads weapon.

Typical of unfaired bikes, ultimate speed is limited more by rider comfort than engine output: 80 mph is comfortable. 100 mph isn't. Although, of course, the bike is capable of more than that. Suits me: The modern UK is festooned with speed cameras and I'm fast coming to the conclusion that bikes that make speeding easy are just asking for trouble.

What more can I say? It's no sports bike: It delivers fun at legal speeds, rewards it with decent economy and looks good doing it. Oh yeah, it's cheap too. What's not to like?[img][/img]

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike that!

Didn't fancy the MT09 then?

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:31 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

0l0dom0l0 wrote:
...Didn't fancy the MT09 then?

Nope, completely different proposition.

Didn't need the power and didn't like the riding position, complexity or price.

Overall, it was too similar to bikes I've owned before.

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome, bet it's a bitch to clean though with all those nooks and crannies.

Enjoy Thumbs Up

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:59 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the article of this bike in MCN and wanted it instantly Wub

Love the light weight and raw simplicity, like those very visible welds on the exhaust pipes.

I'd probably be begging for a little screen though, so long as it doesn't spoil the looks!

Enjoy it!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up, and would be interesting to hear more once it's run in and you've had a better chance to assess it. I think this is going to be a big seller as long as nothing untoward comes to light.

The only thing I don't like about it is the low-slung headlamp, but if the bike's otherwise a good un, I'd be prepared to forgive that. I'm having to adjust to the new styling trends anyway, as there are definitely bikes out there now that intrigue me, and this is one of them.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:55 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test rode the MT09 a couple weeks ago. Great bikes, light, nicely styled and had an Akra on it too. Felt very much like a KTM 690 I owned a few years back but smoother and twitchy on the throttle.

Not for me, still like sports bikes but a great bike. The MT07 looks great as well though.

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defo like it....

The pipes, engine casing and even front fender make it look raw!!

Like the seat too Thumbs Up

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defo like it....

The pipes, engine casing and even front fender make it look raw!!

Like the seat too Thumbs Up

moppy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing is growing on me. Might have to go ride one.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 01 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MT07 is really growing on me, so surprised with the wet weight Shocked
Only thing deterring me is the lack of a fairing.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:51 - 01 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigga wrote:
...bet it's a bitch to clean though with all those nooks and crannies....

Thinking What is this clean that you speak of? Please explain Very Happy

On topic, I concur with the above comments. Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andymach23
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 08 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with OP.

I test rode the MT-07 and loved it. Handled like a dream and although fast, seemed very manageable.

I also rode a low miles NC700S after the MT and this was decent enough, but the MT seemed in a different league.

Seriously thinking about just sodding it and getting one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1