Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Communicating on a bike!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Communicating on a bike! Reply with quote

What do people use to chat to each other on rides/tours? Bluetooth kits, walkie talkies etc?
I don't want to spend mega money, just a good effective method.

4 way would be nice! Am I right in thinking you can link as many walkie talkies as you like aslong as they're on the same channel?

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check here for the win.

https://www.cardosystems.com/

Sabs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:46 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty pricey, I think I'd rather pull over for a chat. Are the other options on the market as costly?

Could you not pair two phones with a hands free kit thing somehow?

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:55 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get cheaps kits but you get what you pay for, the cheapy one are really not very good

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:04 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! deleted post!

Last edited by Teflon-Mike on 23:34 - 24 Mar 2014; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a used set off eBay. As said you get what you pay for, another group I ride with use these for bike to bike comms, range is more like 400m I'm told.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Motorcycle-Helmet-Bluetooth-BT-Headset-Intercom-Interphone-500M-Free-S-H-/250948060519?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwakerz wrote:
Get a used set off eBay. As said you get what you pay for, another group I ride with use these for bike to bike comms, range is more like 400m I'm told.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Motorcycle-Helmet-Bluetooth-BT-Headset-Intercom-Interphone-500M-Free-S-H-/250948060519?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Looking for a set of 2 for when SWMBO gets riding and didn't fancy paying 200+ for a set - are these any good? Will be linked to a phone for music/Google Maps/calls, that's it, nothing else, barring each other.

We'll be on separate bikes as well, she won't go pillion Laughing

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390349431302

can somebody tell me why these wouldn't work? I'm not really interested in top end stuff as I wouldn't use it enough or get the benefit from it. Just a basic communication between 4 people.

As far as I can see (the link I put up) I can;
connect multiple sets
get good distance, would never need more than 1mile
voice activated.

Maybe an upgrade in headset would help but I can see what's wrong with these?

I'm not knowledgeable on the subject at all though so advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Jay89 on 22:59 - 24 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay89 wrote:
https://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390349431302

can somebody tell me why these wouldn't work? I'm not really interested in top end stuff as I wouldn't use it enough or get the benefit from it. Just a basic communication between 4 people.

As far as I can see (the link I put up) I can;
connect multiple sets
get good distance, would never need more than 1mile
voice activated.

Maybe an upgrade in headset would help but I can see what's wrong with these?

I'm not knowledgeable on the subject at all though so advice is appreciated.

You couldn't listen to music through them, for one. Nor link it to a sat nav (if that's your thing).

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:57 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my brother used a fairly cheap set up for a few days in Wales, it seemed to work fine for us.

We used two Cobra PMR radios, with some purpose made helmet push to talk headsets. The hardest bit was finding somewhere to mount the button on the bars.
The sound quality was good up to around 50mph so pretty useful for bimbling around the countryside. If I was doing something longer or with a large group I would spend more.

You can probably find a decent second hand set, use it, then sell for what you paid.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system is a bit old.

https://www.thereformedbroker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/tin-can-string1.jpg

works great though. You can make the string as long as you wish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabian92 wrote:
Kwakerz wrote:

Looking for a set of 2 for when SWMBO gets riding and didn't fancy paying 200+ for a set - are these any good? Will be linked to a phone for music/Google Maps/calls, that's it, nothing else, barring each other.

We'll be on separate bikes as well, she won't go pillion Laughing

Well that's a pair so that's good, you will need to check that your phone sends verbal satnav directions via bluetooth in google maps. If not just get tomtom or co pilot for your phone and jobs a good un.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:36 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay89 wrote:
can somebody tell me why these wouldn't work? appreciated.

Read link that was in last post. Arrow Bike 2 Bike Communication.... where to start

They are Binatone; Brand name with rep for making the cheapest of the cheap. what cost has been put into them has been put into making them look like grown up higher end radios, not perform like them.

VOX operation is likely almost useless, with poor sensitivity and abismal lag.

'Hand-Free' headset, is cheap mobile phone job. Button in-ear-piece; and hardly a slim-line one, that will be pressed into your lug-hole in a decent fitting helmet and at best be a tad uncomfortable is not plain painful.

In-line mic on the wire, probably not going to end up anywhere useful, and likely to be outside helmet. even if you taped it to chin piece, likely be pretty bludy dire and distortion, without adding wind blowing over it.

And range? 1 mile? You might get it. But it ent a lot. And it will be when you need range, like when lead bike has gone through traffic lights and you are cought three cars back on red, you need it, but it wont be there.

At best they are likely to be 'adequete' to give your kids on a camp-site when they go off to play; or if you are marshalling a school sportsday or village fate or something.

For bike use? I wouldn't risk wasting my money. REALLY.

If you want radios, and you want them to stand a chance of doing the job, that money will just about get you propper helmet dedicated headsets.

As first post, thats the critical bit to making bike to bike radio work, and THAT ALONE is likely to set you back £20+ a helmet.

After that; how 'well' radio may work, will be down to how good a radio is, and if you read FAQ post linked; explains that PMR446 is pushing 'licence exempt' radio to the limits to get reasonable voice transmission from regulations framed around short range garage door openers and the like, or length of a football field, radio controlled toys.

Sub £50 a handset PMR then, is usually not going to have the high grade electronics to work well or reliably at anything over radio controlled toy ranges, and working up into the mid-range price bracket, many just add sales features, like crappy vox, or programmeable call tones etc for the extra money, not better electronics on the transmit and recieve circuits.

So you dont tend to get PMR radio's that are even 'barely useful', until you are in the £30-40 per handset price range, to which you have to add, £20-£30 for headset for motorcycle use, to even be in with a chance they are going to do the job.

Start with the headsets; that's the critical bit; and after spending £20 on the front line, do you really want to short change yourself, putting them through cheapo radio that cost less than the micropnone?

Paris2 wrote:
Me and my brother used a fairly cheap set up for a few days in Wales, it seemed to work fine for us.

We used two Cobra PMR radios,

Cobra used to have a pretty good reputation, and thier high end radios were well regarded and competitively priced; but have a feeling that a few years ago, they started supplying argos and Maplins, and cashing in on the name a bit, with a range of 'high street' radios in the sub £30 price range, made in volume, in china, that were really rather mediocre.

But, dedicated motorcycle headsets and PTT would have helped eek out whatever radios had to offer, and certainly made them more useful.

Last edited by Teflon-Mike on 23:42 - 24 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:41 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a combination of thumbs-up, extended middle finger and the wanker sign is usually sufficient to cover all my motorcycling communication needs.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride up beside them, visor up, shout really loudly and make hand gestures to help get the message across as quick as possible.

e.g. "I NEED FUEL!" and then I would point at my fuel tank.

This method has always been a successful form of communication when riding with friends.
Speedfreak13 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:35 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand signals are good... : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgXLBuAj90E
FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell.
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jonathan A
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:50 - 25 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ride with friends. Problem solved Wink

mic
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:19 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
oops! deleted post!

shortest Tef post ever?!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:42 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mic wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
oops! deleted post!

shortest Tef post ever?!

No

mic
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 04:03 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

No

Laughing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
explains that PMR446 is pushing 'licence exempt' radio to the limits to get reasonable voice transmission from regulations framed around short range garage door openers and the like, or length of a football field, radio controlled toys.

Are you absolutely sure this is correct? I mean really really sure and that there are no possible mistakes in the above statement?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:35 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
explains that PMR446 is pushing 'licence exempt' radio to the limits to get reasonable voice transmission from regulations framed around short range garage door openers and the like, or length of a football field, radio controlled toys.

Are you absolutely sure this is correct? I mean really really sure and that there are no possible mistakes in the above statement?

Pass the popcorn

https://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120622224030/thefanfictionwikiofgtfandphazon/images/8/85/Dis_gonna_b_gud.gif
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:53 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Pass the popcorn

The clue is in the acronym, PMR.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2