Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My Sensible Commuter.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: My Sensible Commuter. Reply with quote

Well with a new job starting on Monday, I've been on the look out for a new bike to cover the commute. I've been bikeless for the last few months as I haven't really needed one, but with a 65mile a day commute, with a lot of town riding, it seemed a good idea to save some time and money each day. So I started this thread, where I got a lot of good advice on sensible bike choices:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=286312

With all of that in mind I set about trying to source a decent 500 twin. I spotted a very nice example at the local dealer, with every extra I would need and at a fairly reasonable price. Thread here:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=286312

I test rode it, and thought I'd be ecstatic to just be back on two wheels. However, I was completely underwhelmed. It was boring, slow, sounded dull, and I didn't like the ride a single bit.

Soooo, I upped my budget and widened my search to include those bikes that were a little more exciting (read IL4 engine). I was specifically looking for a ZZR, Thundercat or similar. But then I found this bike. It was local, a good price, and in great condition.

I changed the exhaust from the micron carbon can that came on there due to it being on it's last legs. See this thread:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=287055

I've since put a Fuel can on there, and it's nice and loud. I'll also be attaching a top box and sorting out some extra security. So here it is, my sensible commuter bike Whistle

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7398/13427215024_24a12ceef0_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2901/13426900335_83141f5272_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3710/13426987273_5983a80c0c_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3688/13427266234_4077762ac5_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3741/13426997253_aa06447e67_b.jpg

I always liked the front end of these, but it does look a bit guppy front on.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5317/13426851915_d1b7d67991_b.jpg

The new Fuel exhaust. For anyone interested this is the Oval Mini. It's loud, well made, and looks good.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7218/13427183114_3920e56373_b.jpg

This is the Datatool immobiliser, which although useful, can get a bit annoying every time!

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:39 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Cool

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much better choice.

If that immobiliser is wired the same as my old Fazers, it doesn't actually stop you bump starting the bike. It just stops the clocks / starter button and lights working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
A much better choice.

If that immobiliser is wired the same as my old Fazers, it doesn't actually stop you bump starting the bike. It just stops the clocks / starter button and lights working.

Agreed.

The immobiliser doesn't stop the lights or electrics, but doesn't allow the electric start. I'm sure it can still be bumped though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's such a shame to have to put a top box on it - that's a very pretty bike. Still, needs must I suppose. I really ought to stop being such a soppy twat about mine and do likewise, what with all the distance rides and kinds of destinations I visit. All so bloody expensive these days though Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It's such a shame to have to put a top box on it - that's a very pretty bike. Still, needs must I suppose. I really ought to stop being such a soppy twat about mine and do likewise, what with all the distance rides and kinds of destinations I visit. All so bloody expensive these days though Sad

It is a sensible commuter bike...what are you on about. Laughing

How many miles does your bike have on it? It looks immaculate! Mine has passed 34k now and had a minor off last summer. So it's a little tatty. Could get some new fairings but they'll only end up getting tatty again.

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnspeedySam wrote:

It is a sensible commuter bike...what are you on about. Laughing

Yea! It's in the title Laughing

UnspeedySam wrote:

How many miles does your bike have on it? It looks immaculate! Mine has passed 34k now and had a minor off last summer. So it's a little tatty. Could get some new fairings but they'll only end up getting tatty again.

This one has 28K I think. The old owner babied it a little I think. My old one had 45K on it when it was sold, and it was still looking good.

The top box will be attached to a spare pillion seat anyway. So it'll keep the bike compact and make it easy to remove for the sunday rides Cool

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bike. Thumbs Up

A mate of mine has just ordered a new Fuel can for his GSXF, its got to look and probably sound better than the stock battleship cannon can he has on now. Rolling Eyes

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: My Sensible Commuter. Reply with quote

_Troy_ wrote:

I've since put a Fuel can on there

I read this and was thinking 'Christ, how many miles is his commute!' Then looked at the photos Laughing

Nice looking bike Thumbs Up

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

A mate of mine has just ordered a new Fuel can for his GSXF, its got to look and probably sound better than the stock battleship cannon can he has on now. Rolling Eyes

They do sound good, and their customer service was pretty excellent too. Any ideas which size he went for?

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: My Sensible Commuter. Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
_Troy_ wrote:

I've since put a Fuel can on there

I read this and was thinking 'Christ, how many miles is his commute!' Then looked at the photos Laughing

Nice looking bike Thumbs Up

Haha. Cheers.

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:27 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought 3 of these lol, good bikes be gentle with the gearbox, keep chain adjusted well and if your going to try some wheelies have consideration for the box again.

we have about 6 g and j model engines all with knackered boxes at a mates breakers yard, they seem to be the bike weak spot.

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks lovely op, enjoy it Thumbs Up

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
Just bought 3 of these lol, good bikes be gentle with the gearbox, keep chain adjusted well and if your going to try some wheelies have consideration for the box again.

we have about 6 g and j model engines all with knackered boxes at a mates breakers yard, they seem to be the bike weak spot.

I've not heard this before. This is my second, previous being a G model. I'm not planning on doing wheelies, and it's genuinely going to be used to commute, so it'll be a relaxed life for the gearbox.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Troy_ wrote:
recman wrote:

They do sound good, and their customer service was pretty excellent too. Any ideas which size he went for?

He went for the mini iirc, which size is yours?

Bit disappointed they don't seem to make cans for mine, would be nice to have a cheaper alternative.

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the Oval Mini. I couldn't decide between the Mini or the Midi, but went for the Mini because I wanted a little more noise. With the baffle in it's quite sedate and sounds smooth. With it out it is obnoxious lulz Laughing

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat ain't no commuter, that's lovely that. Always liked that shape 6/9R especially in a colour other than green.

Also I have a mini Fuel end can on my Cbr600 and it sounds the tits.

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:

I did 50k miles on mine and use to rag it to death for the last 20k after it was written off. The gearbox was perfect and better than alot of modern bikes.

Never heard of a gearbox failing on one before!

Very nice example. Exactly the same as my old one. Brilliant bikes.

APT Motorcycles

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:
Dat ain't no commuter

It is, honest! Shhh!

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:52 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh lol perhaps he's got all the dodgy boxes in his yard! mileage is inconsistent ranging from 7,000-60,000 but all have gearbox issues.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 28 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks the nuts. Very tidy.

I wish I could take photo's like that too, I know complete fuck all but would love to start somewhere Laughing

Also, is that a camera I see on your lid? Secret vlogger? Wink

Well in Thumbs Up

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 28 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
That looks the nuts. Very tidy.

I wish I could take photo's like that too, I know complete fuck all but would love to start somewhere Laughing

Also, is that a camera I see on your lid? Secret vlogger? Wink

Well in Thumbs Up

It is a GoPro on my helmet, well spotted. Not a vlogger though, more just for potential crashes and interesting stuff.

The photos are by no means great, and I will be taking some better ones soon. For reference though, they were taken with my D700 and 70-200mm lens, which together are worth a lot more than the bloody bike! Brick Wall

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:01 - 29 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good bikes. Probably my favourite one I've had thinking back!

Be careful when you do oil changes though. They are known not to regain pressure and this fucks the bearings requiring a strip and rebuild or a new engine (speaking from experience). There's a gallery hole on one side of the casings you can fill from too so use it!

geordiecbrblo...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:36 - 29 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
Be careful when you do oil changes though. They are known not to regain pressure and this fucks the bearings requiring a strip and rebuild or a new engine (speaking from experience). There's a gallery hole on one side of the casings you can fill from too so use it!

+ 1 I've experienced this too, here's a few links on burping your baby to avoid future problems ! Mr. Green

https://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-faqs/41248-burping-your-baby-after-oil-change.html

https://www.bandofriders.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69035

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/mechanical-technical/37294-clacking-after-oil-change.html

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 29 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I've never heard of this problem. It sounds like it's fairly obvious when it does happen as the engine becomes extremely noisy and the big red oil light comes on. I've done a few changes and never had it happen to me though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2