Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2013 Triumph Speed Triple

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple Reply with quote

Triumph's Speed Triple has been knocking around in one form or another for nearly 20 years now. It's certainly had it's fair share of re-vamps, but for this review we're concentrating on the 2013 version.

The Speed Triple isn't a bad looking thing. I'm not sure about the new headlights it was given in it's most recent refresh, but everything is is very well judged (the bug eye version to me is better looking). I wouldn't call it pretty. More a handsome, tough kind of look. The quality of the bits you touch seems good (crap Matalan style switch gear aside) and the seat is comfy for all day use. For my frame the bars seem weird. They cock your elbows out into the breeze. Some like this as is "puts them in charge of the bike" but for me is just feels unnatural. I'm sure you'd be able to change that for some nice Renthals, however should you have to? It's priced keenly now, at just under £10k for the base model. That's a £2k saving over the Aprilia Tuono, and £4k underneath the KTM 1290 Superbike. Both of those bikes are more sporting, but the £10k of the Speed Trip is on par with the Yamaha FZ1.

The motor is a peach in this bike. Good torque, good economy, but it's true ace card is the way it sounds. The Speed Trip probably could release an album, especially with the optional Arrow Titanium half system. Sounds glorious at full throttle, then when closed it dumps wads of unburnt fuel into the pipes leading to lots of popping and banging on the overrun. The 1050 motor isn't really fussed which gear you're in, and it'll still pull manfully when you twist the loud handle.

In terms of handling, this for me is what left me a little cold and disappointed. The Speed Triple is no featherweight, and especially at low speed you can really feel this. It is a heavy bike. Once you get moving and combined with the wide bars it isn't too bad. The suspension does a great job of controlling the vast bulk of the engine and chassis. You'd probably need a winch to pick it bad up if it fell off of the side stand. The pegs deck out quiet early, but it does feel nice and stable at lean. There's also less of the typical naked bike front end vagueness. Whether this is down to posh suspension, or just more weight on the front end I'm sure not, but it is a welcome feeling.

It looks to be well finished, although there have been a few complaints of dodgy electrics, the mechanical components at least are of high quality. No maladies really affect the 1050 triple engine as it's been in production for years now.

In summary, it's not a bad bike, but it's not one that I would fall in love with. The bars and the weight are both things I cannot ignore, even with that engine and sound combo, I wouldn't buy one. Many have and are happy, so grab a test ride and see what you think!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5525/9617705060_88fcde10dc.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1