Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Back to the 80s, Honda VT500E

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Back to the 80s, Honda VT500E Reply with quote

First show and tell so go easy on me!

Passed my Mod 2 last week and can now ride any size of bike so started looking on ebay and gumtree for a bigger bike.

found this:

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1241_zpsdec7768b.jpg

Honda VT500E from the Mid 80s! still running, still with a few months MOT too.

got air in the tyres and insurance and bimbled back on it, taking it easy as the front brake appeared not to work...

what the hell is this contraption on the front wheel?

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1242_zps519b20b8.jpg

so looked at the brake reservoir and noticed it was empty. filled it
and spilt a bit:
https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1236_zpsd28484c1.jpg

and bled it and it now works, but I'll give it a better once over later in the year.

it was overheating so I drained the coolant, and there wasn't much in it, refilled it and then noticed there was an expansion tank under the seat! that'd be why it was overheating then!

Why do all these old bikes have damaged panels?

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1250_zpsb57f7fe1.jpg

superglued it back on. it didn't work Sad

The bike was also stuttering at about 65, felt like the fuel was running out, so checked the fuel filter... yuck!
it was at that point I decided to drain the tank and try and clean it a bit, so 2 jars of vinegar and a lot of shaking later this came out of the tank:

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1255_zps7bc06da7.jpg

off out in a bit to get some more petrol and then off to put some miles on it!

the Motad exhaust and it being a v twin makes it sounds lovely Wub
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:59 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like. But then I like older bikes.
If that's all you needed to do to improve then it's in good nick.

Shame with the cock-up of brake fluid over the tank.

On the front brake it looks like a cover that were popular for Honda to fit in that era. Not sure if there's a replacement (modern) conversion.

BTW panels on old bikes get broken because I've found old plastic becomes more brittle/less flexible. So taking on and off panels is likely to break/snap something.

Could do with a respray/rematch of the panel colours.

Enjoy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

the VT500C (shadow) has a standard looking disc brake, so I may see if I can swap them.
a repaint will be done at some point, but I like the slight scabbyness! Laughing

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inboard discs, Honda had a thing for them for a bit during the 80's (a friends VF 400 had them) prone to overheating and brake fade under heavy use, if your swapping out it looks like the VT 500 Ascot had a standard external brake disc Thumbs Up

Dad had the VT 250, it was a nice little machine but started kicking out blue smoke after a while I recall, don't know if the 500's suffer similar (think it was the rings but then it was half the CC and highish revving).

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your plans? Give it the once over and get it ready for the road ASAP, or get it restored/upgraded?

Also, given the apparent lack of fluid, did you check the engine oil before you rode it?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:07 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Back to the 80s, Honda VT500E Reply with quote

i.p.phrealy wrote:
superglued it back on. it didn't work Sad

Just re-read post.
You need epoxy as the minimum. Plus patience, allow 24 hours at least to set.

Possibly some plastic welding, fix into position and then add more plastic the strengthen/secure from another source.

HTH Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:13 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Back to the 80s, Honda VT500E Reply with quote

i.p.phrealy wrote:

Remember, disc brakes on bikes were a novelty in the 70's.
European bikes like Guzzi's and BMW's used cast iron discs like cars. They were powerful and predictable, and resistant to fade, but they looked horrible and rusted before your eyes.
Japs used stanles discs, cos they looked nicer; but they weren't as grippy, so initial take up on the brake meant they felt wooden, then they bit, provided they weren;t wet, then they got hot and faded out. They weren't nice.
A lot of folk still reckoned that drums were in many ways 'better' than discs, and in some ways they were right. Drums, have a self servo effect, a very progressive take up, and can be huge with enormouse friction area, and with finning on the outside of the drum, even more heat-sink and cooling area. They could also be lighter. Alloy slippers for the shoes, alloy drum with thin iron liner, and all the stresses contained within the hub, no need for heavy caliper or discs as well as hub and wheel spokes; in fact, bigger the drum, less spokes you needed.
Now... heady days of the technology race, the Japs pushing innovation to market as rapidly as possible; AP-Lockheed; just down the road from us in Leamington, were playing with a few then 'new' technologies. First of which was 'non metalic' braking materials; carbon fibre discs, ceramic pads and the like.
Other was the 'rim disc'
Made a re-appearance fifteen years later on the Beull:
https://www.diseno-art.com/images/buell_brakes.jpg
Basically, bigger the rotor, the more braking torque you get for caliper pressure, so you can make everything lighter, and dont need to have such a strong wheel hub and spokes to take brake torque from rim of disc to hub and back out to rim of wheel again. So win-win. But you have to mount the caliper inside the disc rather than outside to get greatest effect.
Anyway, Honda NR500, was a rolling test bed for Hondas advanced materials technology... you want the 'real' Silver-Dream-Racer (now we ARE talking 80's!), probably the closest thing. Rather concervative aproach to using the stuff, where Heron / Gallini & Armstrong were using F1 car construction techniques to make monochoc chassis, around honey-comb section; Honda were experimenting with wound filiment, self supporting tube, to mimic conventional steel tube frames; BUT they also experimented with C/F and ceramic brakes, and principle of the rim-disc.
And the Inboard-Disc was the road-going spin-off.

Its a a tiny cast iron 'inside out' rim disc, pretending to be a Drum. On the CBX550, the discs were even compound radially vented, two thin disc castings with radially finned heatsink between the two friction faces, which was advanced even for cars at the time. Dont know whats in the drum on other models... I'm still suffering PTSD flash-backs from the one on the CBX!

Anyway; principle was, that the cast disc had the progressive take up and power of cast iron discs, with the look of a traditional drum, and without the questionable wet weather performance of a stainless disc, and some weight saving.

Paving the way for the turn around they did over the entire V-Four hype a couple of years later.... insisting that V4 was the only way to make a water-cooled four compact enough to fit into a motorcycle without compromising ground clerance and handling.... The inboard disc was quietly dropped from later new models!

I believe it was first launched on the CBX550 of 1981; a veritable shmorgas board of Honda's technological wonders of the era, including self adjusting, self destructing cam-chain tensioner; cast alloy mono-shock rear suspension; and TRAC anti-dive forks.

Lack of linkages on your bike or big embossed TRAC acronym cast into the fork leg suggests you have been saved that little nightmare.

Now, when the VT was nearly new, there was a common conventional disc conversion, I THINK using the front wheel and fork legs from an XBR500.... same third gen Com-star wheel

However; its an authentic 'feature' on yours, personally I would keep it, it IS a novelty and a talking point, and a bit of motorcycling history..

They were maligned, BUT, poor maintenence and neglect was probably as much to blame as poor design 'principle'.

Out-of-sight out of mind; they often didn't get any attension until folk heard backing plates rubbing on disc; by which point floating caliper would probably be well gummed up with pad dust, sticking pistons, float pins and all that malarkee... all BLUDY hard to get at.

But, if cleaned out regularly, so that air could get through that cooling scoop; and the venting in the disc; they WERE remarkeably quite good, at least in my experience on the 550, which did have two of them up front. May be a tad more marginal on your bike, that looks like it probably only has a single disc in that drum. But, properly serviced.... ought to be more than adequete and better than many brakes of the era.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:32 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Back to the 80s, Honda VT500E Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
i.p.phrealy wrote:
<stuff>

tl;dr version...
Give them a clean and service and give them a regular clean so air can pass through and they should be fine. They're a feature of the bike and motorcycling history.

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh wrote:
What are your plans? Give it the once over and get it ready for the road ASAP, or get it restored/upgraded?

Also, given the apparent lack of fluid, did you check the engine oil before you rode it?

been riding it today so once over it was!
and yes I did check the oil, had a fair bit in, but a change is on the cards. it'll get a full service when I flog the 125 and will probably end up a rolling restoration.

as far as the panels go I know an old warhammer modelling tip, so a hole and metal pin will go in.

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha ha, welcome to the joys of VT500 ownership. I refuse to play with my front brake, I let my mechanic suffer the onset of tourettes Very Happy

But, I love mine, it's small & nimble enough around town, but still has enough grunt to eat up a few miles

https://www.dogfriendlysuffolk.com/pics1/Honda_New1.jpg

BravoCharlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know if it's normal of a 21 year old, but i'm loving all these older bikes getting posted lately. sucks about the fluid spillage, but i like that bike! Thumbs Up

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 wrote:
ha ha ha, welcome to the joys of VT500 ownership. I refuse to play with my front brake, I let my mechanic suffer the onset of tourettes Very Happy

But, I love mine, it's small & nimble enough around town, but still has enough grunt to eat up a few miles

jesus that's tidy compared to mine! Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 01 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 6 month old one to courier and it was OK in town, but it didn't really like speed; it would hit 70 easily enough, but show it a hill and a headwind and it was struggling, which also showed up a weakness in the clutch.

I didn't think the inboard disc was any better or worse than anything else, performance wise, but getting the front wheel in and out was like somethng from the Krypton Factor (old skool reference for you there Thumbs Up ) but I would keep it, you don't have to do that job very often.

I got mine up to about 30K, then sold it to the courier firm I worked for; a fortnight later, an oil seal shat itself at full noise on a motorway, dumped the entire oil contents on the road and lunched the engine, so watch out for that hidden pleasure Wink

I remember it as a kind of lighter, smoother, better handling, but pointlessly more complicated Super Dream.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:29 - 01 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up one of these for scrap a couple of years back, was sat in a garden with plants growing round it and had 130,000 on the clock.

Put fuel in it and it ran (badly) sold to a mate for £50 who fixed it for nothing and rode it to the south of France.

It liked a drink, not fuel it barely used any of that, it just used up its oil and water every 500 miles or so as well as all the air in the tyres!

Still managed to survive another 10,000 odd miles of abuse including ham fisted wheelies and 2 heat seizures.

All in all an awesome bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 01 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only real problem I had on mine was overheating. Tracked it down to a failed water pump. Managed to buy a 2nd engine on fleabay for £100, so got loads of spare parts.

There does seem to be a general design flaw on the starter motor where the blocks (don't know the proper term) get out of alignment and it sticks sometimes.

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 01 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been out on it today for a bimble, I think some of the crap from the tank has got in the carbs as it feels like it's running out of petrol at about 55.
Mind you I can't see the vacuum pipe from the petcock to the engine block being held on with cable ties helping much!

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So had another look at things today, trying to work out why it won't run smooth at 50.
thought this was a bit odd:

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1264_zps48a9fa7f.jpg

this vacuum pipe runs to the back of the petcock, and I can't see cable ties being tight enough to get a working vacuum.

so two hose clips later:

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1265_zpsee14c158.jpg

started spraying carb cleaner down the air inlet as a "For Now" until I get enough time to get the carb off and clean it, but hopefully it should help a bit.

also started looking at the body work, noticed there was a bolt missing from the front faring, so decided to have a look to see what size bolt was in the other side.

Dafuq?

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1267_zpsde359379.jpg

so, out came the M6 bolts and penny washers!

going to take it out for a bimble in the morning as i'm having my tea now!

Glad i'm at Mrs.Phrealy(pending)'s house at the moment as there are NSL roads within 250 yards. Very Happy

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun bike to tinker around with. Very similar engine to my Bros 400 by the looks of things. I hope it was cheap though. Laughing

As far as the inboard disc brake goes, I would stick with it if it works. As I'm forever having to rebuild brake calipers that have seized up with UK road salt. In theory your bike shouldn't suffer from that.

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 07 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnspeedySam wrote:

As far as the inboard disc brake goes, I would stick with it if it works. As I'm forever having to rebuild brake calipers that have seized up with UK road salt. In theory your bike shouldn't suffer from that.

yeah, decided I quite like the fact it's a bit quirky.

bit of an update, I flogged this today:

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1249_zpsc092d983.jpg

Bye bye to my Chinese 125 Sad , got me into biking, got me doing rides for various BCF Bike Picture Challenges and it also made me want to go for better, also means I have some funds for stuff like food, petrol and any bits I may need. Very Happy Thumbs Up

did a bit of panel repair.

superglued the broken peg on with poundlandtm superglue as it doesn't really stick anyway, and drilled a hole through the panel. then I sank a small machine screw into the hole:

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1275_zpsf87b83e5.jpg

so it was like this:

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1272_zps59ad9704.jpg

used a bit of bodyfiller and I screwed the broken bit of peg back on:

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/i_p_phrealy/DSC_1273_zpsa9e1e296.jpg

filled the other side, but I'll smooth it down before I give it a going over with paint, guitarist of my band is getting his compressor back so he's said we can give it a respray properly.
Couldn't do much else today as it was a bit wet, however Mrs Phrealy (pending) bought toffee and pecan muffins! Thumbs Up

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:27 - 07 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 wrote:

That looks superb to my eyes.

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 08 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.p.phrealy wrote:
Mrs Phrealy (pending) bought toffee and pecan muffins! Thumbs Up

Great idea, going to steal that Thumbs Up And is she available for outside catering Laughing

slowlydoesit wrote:
That looks superb to my eyes.

Cheers, I do like her, although she's very dirty at the moment. Might treat her to a wash this weekend if I'm not too busy on the wing Very Happy

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 08 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 wrote:
ha ha ha, welcome to the joys of VT500 ownership.....

Is it weird that I find this ugly yet awesome! (No Offence) Thumbs Up Karma

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 08 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether ugly and/or awesome it's in great nick. I bet you could get them to sound pretty sweet as well, with the right can and a bafflectomy.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 09 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 the muffins were from Greggs. Very Happy

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 10 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knacker wrote:
Is it weird that I find this ugly yet awesome! (No Offence) Thumbs Up Karma

No offence taken Wink I find most modern bikes boring. I can appreciates, and sometimes drool, over the engineering. But the looks often leave me cold. Maybe I'm just getting to be my dad, but they all look the same to me Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3