Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

motorcycle road accidents on your street?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 16 Jul 2014    Post subject: motorcycle road accidents on your street? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I was thinking my town is pretty safe and sleepy place apparently that is not the case, you can check your place or your favorite route accidents hot spots here:

https://road-collisions.dft.gov.uk/accident-map/bracknell-forest?Year=All&AccidentSeverity=Fatal,Serious&AgeBand=&VehicleType=Motorcycle%20-%20unknown%20cc,Motorcycle%20125cc%20and%20under,Motorcycle%2050cc%20and%20under,Motorcycle%20over%20125cc%20and%20up%20to%20500cc,Motorcycle%20over%20500cc#map-view

cheers
Val
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
gsxfdumb This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 20 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's on there, was pretty minor. It's quite misleading seeing a big number of accidents at a roundabout only to zoom in and find they're actually spread out across the map

kernow24
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:25 - 20 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

was hoping to see mine.... but the years only go up to 2012.

and there's also been a couple of fatals around here over the lass couple of years.

Pretty surprising that there's been about 400 serious or fatal accidents, and 1100 slight accidents in Cornwall since 2005, the majority of those in the 30 or so miles that I usually rode around Shocked

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 21 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxfdumb wrote:
not really accurate, ive had one slight accident and its not recorded on there. police + ambulance in attendance and taken to hospital.

That's not a slight accident... Officially you were KSI'd (killed or seriously injured).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 21 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
gsxfdumb wrote:
not really accurate, ive had one slight accident and its not recorded on there. police + ambulance in attendance and taken to hospital.

That's not a slight accident... Officially you were KSI'd (killed or seriously injured).

Really, I thought KSI had to be pretty severe injuries not just a trip to hospital in an ambulance.

For aviation, what constitutes a serious injury, and therefore is an aviation "accident" is:

. wrote:
Serious Injury
Injuries that result in one or more of the following conditions:

- Requires hospitalization for more than 48 hours, commencing within seven days from the date the injury was received,
- Results in a fracture of any bone (except simple fractures of fingers, toes, or nose),
- Involves lacerations that cause severe hemorrhages, nerve, muscle, or tendon damage.
- Involves injury to any internal organ, or
- Involves second or third degree burns, or any burns affecting more than five percent of the body surface.

Now whilst I don't know the injuries gsxfdumb sustained, and in a motorcycle crash broken bones is very likely, not every motorcycle accident resulting in an ambulance and hospital would fall under "serious injury" according to the above definition.

Police KSI definition may be different.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia wrote:

United Kingdom definitions
Killed: The usual international definition, as adopted by the Vienna Convention in 1968 is 'A human casualty who dies within 30 days after the collision due to injuries received in the crash'.[1]

Serious injury: The definition is less clear-cut a may vary more over time and in different places. The UK definition covers injury resulting in a person being detained in hospital as an in-patient, in addition all injuries causing: fractures, concussion, internal injuries, crushings, burns (excluding friction burns), severe cuts, severe general shock which require medical treatment even if this does not result in a stay in hospital as an in-patient.[2]

Slight injury: Sprain (including neck whiplash injury), bruising or cuts which are not judged to be severe. Also slight shock requiring roadside assistance.[3]

Though I'm sure I've heard before of more minor injuries counting towards KSI figures.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:20 - 21 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting zooming in on North Yorkshire and the number of accidents on the B1222 and around Squires Cafe Bar.

Not unexpected given it's a motorcycle hotspot but still IMO stupidly high given it's a motorcycle hotspot.

Wondering if other motorcycle meeting places suffer the same?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hokum
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:10 - 21 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm cars much worse than bikes...

Cars
https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/cars.jpg

Bikes
https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/bikes_121.jpg

Oddly most of the bike accidents seem to be on corners... maybe people just going too fast? Surely not.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 21 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes add up to maybe 5% the quantity of cars even in a high bike volume area such as London. Fairly sure the usual figure thrown about is 1% for the UK.

Pretty sure that makes the bikes far far worse Laughing

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 21 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokum wrote:
Oddly most of the bike accidents seem to be on corners... maybe people just going too fast? Surely not.

Bikes or cars overcooking the corner and running into the oncoming traffic?

I noticed a lot were at junctions, most likely a combination of SMIDSY (or rather SMIDL) or not properly anticipating speed

nelmo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:25 - 22 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

Wondering if other motorcycle meeting places suffer the same?

3 accidents near Box Hill, 2 of them involved just 2 bikes

Fascinating link valko - thanks for posting Thumbs Up

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 22 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hastings seems to have a few compared to the surrounding area Whistle Whistle
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

krarkol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 22 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there was a fatal literally 100 metres from my house in 2009.

I can see the spot it apparently happened (125 vs taxi) and I don't recall ever seeing anything like that Confused

I must have been out...

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the area in the map above yesterday Smile. Most common incident types are right of way violations followed by the accidents involving rural corners mentioned above which are predominately single vehicle.

This report is a little long and a little old but I suspect it is still releveant https://speedcamerareport.co.uk/dft_motorcycle_accidents.pdf

I suspect most of the cornering fails are due to failure to anticipate that most corners on British roads have easement curves that give misleading signals as to the radius.

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single one I've checked in my area has involved a motorcycle. Strange.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

krarkol wrote:
Apparently there was a fatal literally 100 metres from my house in 2009.

I can see the spot it apparently happened (125 vs taxi) and I don't recall ever seeing anything like that Confused

I must have been out...

The one near me was 'Motorcycle over 500cc' Vs 'Goods 7.5 tonnes mgw and over'.. no prizes for guessing who won that one.

Doesn't surprise me though, artic drivers seem to just think fuck it, I'm bigger and don't actually care what happens to anyone else.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1