Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Guide to buying a secondhand bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:54 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Guide to buying a secondhand bike Reply with quote

After writing the guide on buying the bike, and the stuff which was bought to my attention by the problems I'm having after selling my bike, I thought it would be useful to give a guide to stuff to do/ not do when buying a bike secondhand.

When you go and look at the bike
So after spending time searching through adverts for a new bike, you've found one you like the idea of and have arranged to go and view it. It is a good plan generally to see the bike at the owners house, which should be the same as the address the bike is registered to. If they want to meet you somewhere (either before going to their house, or to view/ sell the bike) make sure it's somewhere public and where he wouldn't be able to do something without being noticed by others. When you first get there and meet the seller and see the bike, no matter how much you like it and want to buy it, don't be enthusiastic about it too much as it will let the buyer know you really want it and will give him an advantage if you try and haggle over the price.

Checking over the paperwork
Have a look through the paperwork they have for the bike, and check any details like frame number on the bike just to be sure it's okay. Have a look through old MOT's to see that the milage is a general increase, and to see that it all makes sense and fits with what you know about it's history. Have a look over any invoices for any work done, and if in any doubt about it give the shop a ring to ask them about it. It is a good idea really to do an HPI check on the bike ( www.HPIcheck.com ) before you travel to view the bike. HPI checks tell you if the vehicle has been reported stolen, if it has been written off, and if it has any outstanding finance on it. Don't just take the owners word for it, as if they're lying and the bike does have outstanding finance the bike can be taken away by the company who are owed finance. Better safe than sorry.

Test riding the bike
It is worth test riding the bike be it costing £100, or costing £10,000. It's worth doing so you can be sure that it is running as is being sold as, and that it performances the way you want it to. Don't just take the sellers word that it is running fine, check to be sure.
The seller is very likely (and fairly daft if they don't!) to ask to see a proof of ID (like a driving license or a passport) so that they are sure you are who you say you are, and to ask to take a deposit for the bike whilst they are test riding it. The keys to the car or bike you travelled there with are fine (as long as it is an appropriate value vehicle!) or just the value of the bike in cash. This is so there is an incentive for you to come back and not to just steal it. Remember that it is your responsibility to be insured when test riding a bike. Many policies will cover you TPO on other bikes as long as you have the owners permission, but it is your responsibility to make sure you are insured.

Trying to work out a deal
So you've decided you want to buy it, and you just need to work out a price now. Buyers generally will ask about 10% more than they want to get for it to allow for people haggling, but this is not always the case, and if they say they're not open to offers then fair enough. Cash works well as it's money in their hands right then as opposed to the time taken for cheques and bankers drafts. Don't be waving it around too much, just say that you are looking to buy with cash. If you are wanting to pay by cheque or any other method really, expect the seller to not be willing to give you the bike until the money has cleared into their account. This again is where cash is good as it means it's all dealt with then.

After working out a price
You've managed to agree a price and are now about to leave with your new bike. Ask for a receipt, you should have a copy for yourself and a copy for the seller. These should both be identical and both signed by yourself and the seller. You should be given part of the V5 it is only a small slip and the rest of it is posted off to the DVLA by the seller. Make sure you are given any stuff that was advertised or said as being included in the deal. Once you have got the keys and the V5 slip, and you have handed the money over thats the point where you have very little come back so make sure anything which you wanted to ask or inspect has been done before this point! Once you have the bike and are on your way home enjoy your new bike and get rid of any copies of BikeTrader you have around your home as you'll just see something else and think that you like the bike you've just seen more than the one you've just bought. Laughing

If something goes wrong
So the new bike you've bought now has problems. If you've bought privately you only have come back to the extent if the seller was lying in the advert and has been untruthful about the bike they sold you. You do not have any type of warranty or guarantee when buying privately it is just a case of buyer beware and sold as seen. Stuff does go wrong with bikes from time to time, and it is just as likely to happen shortly after you bought it as it is to happen at any other time so bear this in mind. Try and speak to the seller, they might well know what the problem is, or how to fix it, or be willing to help you (either by giving you details of people who can fix it, or by actually helping you do the repair) but be reasonable. If you turn around to them with unreasonable demands then they will just turn around and say no, and there is nothing you can do.

The receipt is your lifeline if you get informed that the bike is stolen, a write off or had finance owing on it, and if this happens the best people to speak to are Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor who deals with this type of stuff. Or post up in general chat and people will give their advice on what to do.

Most bike sales are problem free, but there are ones which have problems and buying secondhand vehicles privately is not risk free. There are people who will be trying to rip you off, but the vast majority are honest sellers. You can't generally tell the difference, but just be aware that there are possible risks.

Edit: Have a read of this thread for details of what to check over when buying a bike.

Last edited by Ste on 19:08 - 12 Jan 2005; edited 2 times in total

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 04:14 - 16 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up bingo

/me prints out and puts next to credit card in wallet Razz
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Liono
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:55 - 29 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ste, I'm looking around to buy my first bike so will find the information really useful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GreyHam
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dilemma - when you buy the bike your not insured right? so can you ride it home without insurance or would you have to buy it and collect later?

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 01:04 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not insured you can't ride the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

haGGard
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:09 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

But no one will notice Shifty

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:11 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Some policies cover you to ride bikes you do not own. I have heard that some also cover you to ride bikes home that you have just bought, but not seen such a clause in any policy I have had.

All the best

Keith
Sissy This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:38 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreyHam wrote:
dilemma - when you buy the bike your not insured right? so can you ride it home without insurance or would you have to buy it and collect later?

You could use your breakdown cover to get home. Razz

Last edited by Ste on 18:49 - 09 Aug 2005; edited 1 time in total

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it silly that you can not test ride the bike if you are not insured. i read that in biketrader but then thought that i won't be able to have a test ride when buying as i dont have insurance. insurance is expensive for me as i live in a 'f' area and i dont really wanna pay for it until i actually find a bike. dilemma? yes.

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:04 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link I used before. It is great, has photos etc on what to look at for.

https://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike-content.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 10:08 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Och Ste, you're just too helpful mate!!! Wink Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tintin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:22 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other suggestions:

When you first ring up just say "I'm ringing about the bike", if they say "which one" then you know they are a dealer.

Try and take a mate with you. This can stop you getting carried away and buying a heap of junk, a second opinion is always helpful, they can also back you up if it needs things like new tyres or a chain - which helps with the haggling. And it's someone to give you a lift if you buy the bike and ride it away.

Try and see the bike in daylight, I know it's difficult at this time of year but it will help you see faults better.

After you have looked at it say you have got to go and view anoother bike in the area, or say you have just seen another one before you arrived. Then say you need to have a think about which bike you want and go and have a coffee for 30 mins, this puts you in a much better position to haggle.

You can always walk away if it's not right - there is always another one out there.

Having said all this I once met a bloke from Nottingham at a Motorway services halfway between us, left my girlfriend as a deposit while I had a test ride and paid cash for a bike which blew up 3 months later, so what do I know...

kasandrich
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:37 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreyHam wrote:

Yes even f your insurance covers you to ride other bikes, once you've bought it, you ae not covered.

So you have two choices, come back to collect after arranging insurance, or most modern brokers will give you cover there and then on the phone, whether it is new cover or an ammendment to a new bike. Thumbs Up

CBR1000FM

RiderOfTheSto...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. Wouldn’t it be useful to have a ‘Guides’ forum because posts like this will move off the page and become hard to find. Maybe if someone writes a good guide they can post it in here first and if a number of people like it the mods can move it to the guides forum? Just a suggestion.

whymore?
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:51 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't Bike Trader say that you risk 6 points on your license and on the vendor's licence if you're caught test riding without insurance? sounds like good enough reason for the vendor to refuse outright to let you test ride it without seeing your insurance document.
I bought a moped for #350 once. I phoned up the shop & got the reg no, insured it & test rode it, bought it. I had to buy something to keep my employer happy and it lasted almost as long as my job did (only 3 years) so I was happy

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 19:03 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds obvious, but make sure the speedo is in MPH.

I managed to buy an XJ, 3 of us looked at it, all bikers, none of us noticed until it was tucked up in my garage.

Check wheel bearings while you're there, make sure there's no play in either wheel and/or head bearings.

That makes an excellent haggling point, but may also not want you to ride home...

Gaz

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:06 - 12 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone gets stopped on your bike and they don't have insurance they you get done by the police as well as the owner of the vehicle you're meant to check that someone has insurance before giving them the keys.

Lots of shops have their own insurance to let you test ride rather than saying you've got to get an insurance policy before letting you test ride to make people more interested in the bike.

It's a calculated risk letting someone test ride your bike. Confused

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:00 - 13 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad is insured on any other bike as long as he has the owner's permission, since I bought the bike, technically I was the owner and he had my permission, so in my case I guess it was all legal.

But insurance is always going to be a problem when riding a bike home.

Gaz

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:08 - 13 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most policies like that also say that the bike has to be insured by someone else, otherwise everyone would buy and insure C90's and ride litre bikes which they've put in someone elses name.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 128 days between these two posts...

iiRZAii
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:23 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Some policies cover you to ride bikes you do not own. I have heard that some also cover you to ride bikes home that you have just bought, but not seen such a clause in any policy I have had.

All the best

Keith

you can also phone up insurance and get free cover for that day
just like some people do when they learning on ther mums car.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 7 years, 223 days between these two posts...

Jamopy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:36 - 28 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiRZAii wrote:
Kickstart wrote:
Hi

All the best

Keith

So you just phone up an insurance company, tell them you're test riding a bike and then driving it home later, and they give you free insurance? Sounds unlikely, insurance companies don't normally do things out of the goodness of their own heart.

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 28 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamopy wrote:
iiRZAii wrote:

So you just phone up an insurance company, tell them you're test riding a bike and then driving it home later, and they give you free insurance? Sounds unlikely, insurance companies don't normally do things out of the goodness of their own heart.

That was 7 years ago...

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 28 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow at nearly 8 years since the last post it's possibly the best thread bump ever.

Laughing

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 28 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow in 2005 my English was even worse than it is now....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1