Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A small home build project?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:12 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: A small home build project? Reply with quote

New guy here, not sure how well these kind of projects go down. It has two wheels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkPkWWfgxVo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This definitely needs more info!

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite cool. Two discrete engines! The madness of it all! Do you start one then use it to bump the other one? Common kill switch for both too?

Tell us more about it?

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:23 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villiers Midget 2 stroke engines, 98cc, 1HP EACH!. 3-speed albion gearbox 1-N-2-3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:24 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project needs the most comprehensive writeup that the internet will have ever seen.

There is more win here than I can even express.

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:31 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="UnknownStuntman"]This is quite cool. Two discrete engines! The madness of it all! Do you start one then use it to bump the other one? Common kill switch for both too?

Tell us more about it?[/quote]

Villiers 98cc 2-stroke engines, 1-N-2-3 Albion gearbox. There is a large handle on the left side of the bike that is used to start both engines via the gearbox, you can however bump start the whole thing by pushing it along and releasing the clutch in second usually starts both up. Its easy to push because its small and lightweight.

Whats a kill switch? I have two fuel taps Smile

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:33 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nowhere.elysium"]This project needs the most comprehensive writeup that the internet will have ever seen.

There is more win here than I can even express.[/quote]

haha thanks, im not much of a talker, or typer i guess.

MattWadz
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:49 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is cool!
Pitbike x2, Mini Moto x4, China Quad, 02' Suzuki AP50 > 03' MBK Nitro > 86' Suzuki GP100 > 02' Yamaha Jog R > 57' Honda Lead 100 > 95' Piaggio ZIP Rst 50 > 51' Suzuki TS50x > 83' Honda CB125TDE Twin > 51' Yamaha Aerox > 98' Kawasaki KX60 > 89' Yamaha DT50MX > 80's Honda QR50 > 05' CG clone > 125cc China Pitbike > 91' Honda MTX125 RW-L > 09' Peugeot Speedfight 2 LC LR > Lucky MX 140cc > Apache Tomahawk 50 Quad (current = 2010 Yamaha WR125R

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it ride well? How do the engines keep in time properly?

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so cool! I think you have just won the internet. Thumbs Up

Also - is your dog deaf? Shocked

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnetrow wrote:
Villiers Midget 2 stroke engines, 98cc, 1HP EACH!. 3-speed albion gearbox 1-N-2-3.

I`m thinking that you wont be curling the tarmac on the drag strip then Smile .

It looks like a groovy project Thumbs Up

Moar please!

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of history about the engines can be found here ...it covers villiers motors in general.....but for those of you to young to remember ...

https://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0596.htm

woodyeee
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool as fcuk......would of been easier to have used one big engine though lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodyeee wrote:
Looks cool as fcuk......would of been easier to have used one big engine though lol.

And that would completely defeat the point and cool factor.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Villiers flywheels.

Get them polished up. Mirror finish on those is easy to do and looks great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodyeee wrote:

Err ? yer?
Maybe he should of used a 3 litre engine out of a car? Rolling Eyes

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:09 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="c_dug"]Does it ride well? How do the engines keep in time properly?[/quote]

We timed the engines to the same degree, however, between my measurements and the 1955 engines, they never seem to bang in sync. They don't pull each other though, so something must be right. The ride is actually quite comfortable. The springer front end and the sprung seat absorb the bumps well. The most difficult part is controlling everything with your hands. Right handed gear lever is a pain. A gear lever that comes up between your legs. But its all in good fun! Very Happy

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:11 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="shereen"]That is so cool! I think you have just won the internet. Thumbs Up

Also - is your dog deaf? Shocked[/quote]

Haha, the little fella is only 3, he's just used to it. He could easily run back to the house but chooses to stay with the guys. Very Happy

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:13 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pepperami"][quote="Vinnetrow"]Villiers Midget 2 stroke engines, 98cc, 1HP EACH!. 3-speed albion gearbox 1-N-2-3.[/quote]

I`m thinking that you wont be curling the tarmac on the drag strip then Smile .

It looks like a groovy project Thumbs Up

Moar please![/quote]

Haha not anytime soon. The two engines do have a surprising amount of torque, just no high revs. Throttle twists about 15 degrees.

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:16 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bladerunner"]A bit of history about the engines can be found here ...it covers villiers motors in general.....but for those of you to young to remember ...

https://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0596.htm[/quote]

I remember reading this trying to find info myself. As far as i know the engines are both 1955 Villiers Midget MKII 98CC 2-Stroke. Very Happy

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:17 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wafer_Thin_Ham"][quote="woodyeee"]Looks cool as fcuk......would of been easier to have used one big engine though lol.[/quote]

And that would completely defeat the point and cool factor.[/quote]

You sir. Know the score.

Vinnetrow
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Artist"]Love the Villiers flywheels.

Get them polished up. Mirror finish on those is easy to do and looks great.[/quote]

I dont have any real polishing tools. What is the best way to get a bit more shine out of them?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:22 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's what you do to a pair of poor unsuspecting ATCO mowers, I HATE to imagine what would happen if you chanced upon a couple of Allen Sythes Shocked
There used to be a couple rusting away in the barn on my Grandad's farm... Big solid steel wheels with '"Allen" cast in them, and Speedway bike tyres! Laughing
Oh no... I can hear the epicyclic sturmey grinding... I've just given you an idea for your next project, haven't I?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnetrow wrote:
The Artist wrote:
Love the Villiers flywheels.

Get them polished up. Mirror finish on those is easy to do and looks great.

I dont have any real polishing tools. What is the best way to get a bit more shine out of them?

When I did one a while ago, I just had the engine running and sandpapered the flywheel starting at 100 grit working my way up to 2000 then autosol right at the end and they were mirror finish perfect. Put a coat of lacquer on and that was it.

EDIT: Found a pic.

https://i.imgur.com/tfvDWD6.jpg

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 05 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice piece of work there!

You seem to have collected an inordinate number of electric motors and reduction gearboxes - what could you possibly need all those for?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2