Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fettling a Kawasaki KMX 200

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Fettling a Kawasaki KMX 200 Reply with quote

This isn't going to be a massively impressive rebuild thread like some of the projects in this part of the forum, so I'll keep it simple.

I have a 1989 Kawasaki KMX200 that seems to run fine but needs some work to get it through the MOT. Ultimately I don't plan to ride much offroad, but there are lots of farm tracks round here plus the bulk of my riding will be on tight, winding, bumpy and often potholed back roads, hence a trailie as opposed to a Fireblade. (Oh, yeah, and there's the small issue of budget.) I'm just going to document a bit of the work here, which is being done with the aid of a vastly more competent friend of mine. Apologies in advance for the crap camera of my cellphone. Needs must when the devil drives and all that. This is what the bike looks like now, sitting in said friend's workshop.

https://i.imgur.com/OaTPVG3.jpg

First problem, the pinhole in the petrol tank. Overall the tank seems in good condition, with no obvious patches of heavy rust or significant dents, but the pinhole is real and was weeping petrol onto the expansion chamber. Perhaps a tad hazardous and certainly unlikely to get past the MOT person.

https://i.imgur.com/j2NoQt5.jpg

To this hole I applied some Granville Petro Petro Putty. When you open the package and cut off a piece as instructed it looks pleasingly similar to a monochromatic swiss roll, grey on the outside with a white fluffy centre. I had already wiped and dried the pinhole, but a little bit of petrol was still seeping out, maybe due to capillary action? I kneaded the piece of putty until the colours blended then did my best to get it on the hole, not without difficulty as the putty was quite sticky and I struggled to control the amount I put on the tank, ending up with a big blob. Then I applied pressure for about a minute. It seemed to adhere easily and after an hour was hard and apparently well stuck. At some point I will try sanding it down. The medium-term aim is to seal the hole more permanently and my friend - who, yes, is keenly aware of the danger - thinks it can be welded. Let's see how the putty holds.

https://i.imgur.com/jHex059.jpg

Next up was the front brake caliper, which was sticking. It's a simple one-pot design. I got the caliper off without problems, then found that the caliper holder was seized on the caliper holder shafts, making it impossible to take out the brake pads, at least by hand.

https://i.imgur.com/0xiqymN.jpg

At this point my friend appeared and spoke persuasively on the need for a vice. Applying gentle but steady pressure on both sides alternately got the holder moving and the pads came out. We disassembled the rest and I cleaned it as best I could with brake parts cleaner and a toothbrush. The chrome of the piston had some damage, but some way down the body of the piston, so we thought it was still useable. The rubber boots and the seals also seemed okay. Here's a picture of it after cleaning, looking a bit better but not pristine.

https://i.imgur.com/FtfNzbB.jpg

We reassembled it, reattached the caliper to the bike and tried to bleed the system. After 15 minutes of messing around we gave up as we weren't getting any firmness from the front lever. The master cylinder seals and piston looked a bit suspect. It wasn't clear where the problem lay but I decided on a "nuke the entire site from orbit" approach: kits for both caliper and master cylinder with a HEL braided item to replace the existing hose. Those are now ordered.

After that we reattached the petrol tank and tried starting it. After a few kicks it turned over then roared to life. Thumbs Up The exhaust is loud and doesn't sound too pleasant (for lack of a better word). It seems to be an aftermarket expansion chamber with perhaps an original exhaust? As you can see from the above photo there is a DEP aftermarket exhaust in the bin of parts I got with the bike but the previous owner advised me that it doesn't sound "as good". Shocked Maybe we'll try the DEP at a later date.

https://i.imgur.com/4FCFG1d.jpg

Next I checked the electrics, which look chaotic (see above) but seem to work alright. Headlight comes on, both full and dip, and so do the idiot lights on the dash, in comfortingly old-fashioned primary colours. I did notice a problem with the indicators. The left-hand side indicators work fine, but the right hand-side indicators went on and stayed on, without flashing. From what I understood of this useful thread, the relay is probably okay because it controls both left and right and the left side is fine. The next step was to check bulbs and wiring. I took the rear indicators home with me and whipped off the lenses only to find this on the righthand side:

https://i.imgur.com/I59XAp3.jpg

Basically the bulb (the rating of which I haven't checked) was popped in a holder of indeterminate origin, and one wire has been cable-tied to it. Let it be noticed that whoever did it looped the cable tie around twice - clearly he was a perfectionist. I don't know whether this is what is causing the indicators to not flash on the righthand side but it may be contributing.

At this point I decided that the indicator is grotty enough and a new one cheap enough that I should just replace it. I don't want to overspend on the bike, given that it's just a fun hobby for me, but I don't want to spend too many hours trying to fix things either. My time has a value and I have competing demands on that time - family, work and friends. This particular item is something I'll pay for in cash rather than paying for in hours in the workshop. While fettling the bike is educational for a mechanical noob like me and satisfying to boot, the end goal is to get riding again.

More next week, hopefully. Comments and advice always welcome.

Last edited by slowlydoesit on 18:40 - 27 Apr 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That frame looks surprisingly clean for a 1989 bike. I assume a previous owner has stripped the bike and had it sprayed/powder coated?

I do like older trailies. Maybe one day I'll get that Honda XR650R I always wanted as a teenager!

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:59 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
That frame looks surprisingly clean for a 1989 bike. I assume a previous owner has stripped the bike and had it sprayed/powder coated?

You assume correctly, sprayed we think, not coated. Whoever rebuilt it did a lot of work. Many of the bolts and screws have been replaced with stainless steel items with allen key heads, though others are untouched. Seems to have been done on a "perceived need" basis.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of person replaces all of the corroded fasteners yet makes an electrical contact with a cable tie?

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:52 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
What sort of person replaces all of the corroded fasteners yet makes an electrical contact with a cable tie?

Creatively OCD? Wink

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:07 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various KMX 200 parts have arrived.
HEL braided hose on the left, with new banjo bolts and washers.
Master cylinder rebuild kit in the middle.
Front caliper replacement piston and seals on the right.
Indicator chilling out behind. Kyoto brake pads lurking out of shot.
Also have a new kickstart as the old one is a bit wobbly.

Now it's just a matter of fitting them correctly. Praying

https://i.imgur.com/12Mxonq.jpg

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that running on comma mineral oil?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:15 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQL wrote:
Is that running on comma mineral oil?

It's not running on anything just yet! Strictly speaking, there is oil in it but I don't know what it is. I have bought some fancy modern Castrol 2-stroke for when we get to that stage, may drain what's in there and refill with the Castrol.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:32 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
Now it's just a matter of fitting them correctly. Praying

AAAAAND they don't fit! Embarassed

Strictly speaking, the piston and seals don't fit. The KMX 200 front caliper piston refurb kit I bought is listed as having a 34mm diameter piston. I never thought to check the existing piston, which has a diameter of 30mm. (Lesson learned: measure everything.) And yet the piston is in a caliper that is undeniably bolted onto the front forks of a KMX 200! Confused

https://i.imgur.com/xWXLmKw.jpg

Now I'm not sure what to do. After shooting an email inquiry off to the supplier I sat down and had a google about. It looks like it could be a caliper from a later KMX 125 if this set of parts is anything to go by. If that's the case I'm prepared to go ahead and order but I don't want to order another kit that doesn't fit.

So, how can I identify the caliper I have? (Also the master cylinder etc.) Do these parts have component numbers stamped or engraved on them somewhere?

At least the new indicator has fixed the problem of one side not blinking properly. Baby steps.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comma mineral oil is green and shit was gonna suggest changing it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:02 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supplier on holiday... No chance of getting anything done over weekend...

https://i.imgur.com/F2QcvJM.jpg

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:58 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
AAAAAND they don't fit! Embarassed
Strictly speaking, the piston and seals don't fit. The KMX 200 front caliper piston refurb kit I bought is listed as having a 34mm diameter piston. I never thought to check the existing piston, which has a diameter of 30mm. (Lesson learned: measure everything.) And yet the piston is in a caliper that is undeniably bolted onto the front forks of a KMX 200! Confused

Prompt email response from seller this morning, followed by some rapid negotiation. They pointed out that their supplier says this is a standard KMX200 front caliper piston, but as I'm in a hurry they kindly agreed to send me out a new kit containing a piston with the same dimensions as the original piston in my caliper, at no charge to myself. They said they'd trust me to send the other one back. I duly did that late morning.

Let's see if the replacement piston fits. I still don't know what caliper I've got bolted to the front of the KMX200. Thinking it may be a KMX125 rear caliper? I wish there was some resource that actually gave dimensions for parts like this. As it is, it seems that all you can do is measure the physical object itself.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200's have a 10mm bigger front disc at 240mm than the 125's. I did always think the Caliper was the same though, and it's just spaced out further by the 38mm forks. Maybe the Caliper has a bigger piston though?

I've never bothered to strip and compare my 125 and 200cc caliper's before, but I could do tonight as both are off the bikes currently.

You are correct that the late 2000> KMX125's used a different front caliper and a different pad, as well as changing from organic to sintered compound pads too. I assume it was to improve the front brake performance and not because the Old style caliper was discontinued, but who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:33 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I've never bothered to strip and compare my 125 and 200cc caliper's before, but I could do tonight as both are off the bikes currently.

That would be cool, but how can you be sure that you have original calipers on both machines? Wink
Maybe the 200 has a 125 caliper and the 125 a 200 caliper... Razz

Seriously, the problem with these machines is that so little is original these days. All kinds of stuff has been done to them.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:33 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good - the replacement and the old piston seem identical. Hard to tell with the photo underexposed like this but they are very close indeed. Will fit it and see tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/3YkdYEo.jpg

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:47 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, reminds me I need to get hold of a new piston for my bike.

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:48 - 26 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
Looking good - the replacement and the old piston seem identical. Hard to tell with the photo underexposed like this but they are very close indeed. Will fit it and see tomorrow.

The good news is that the piston, seal and boot seem to fit. The boot (dust seal) was an arse to fit over the piston and I managed to tear it slightly while forcing it into the recess around the top of the cylinder in which the brake piston sits. There must be a knack to getting these things in place. It'll do for now. Here's the cleaned caliper with the new piston back on the bike.

https://i.imgur.com/OMuysjX.jpg

When we reassembled the caliper and tried to bleed the system we found the lever still wouldn't pump anything. In fact, when we removed the top end of the brake hose from the master cylinder banjo bolt the brake hose wasn't wet. Clearly the brake fluid wasn't even exiting the master cylinder. We replaced the master cylinder seals last week, but we decided to take the master cylinder apart for another check.

The master cylinder has two holes and the smaller of the two (the return hole) seemed to be blocked. That's the one on the left below.

https://i.imgur.com/G22hdEX.jpg

Blasts of air from the compressor don't shift it but eventually my mate succeeds in clearing it using a bristle from a wire brush. Back to the bike and reassemble. Aha! Now we're getting somewhere. We can pump brake fluid through the system and out of the bleed nipple. However, there's still no pressure on the front lever. We theorise that perhaps air is trapped in the hose, which rises from the master cylinder banjo bolt then swoops down the front fork.

Hmm. Now what? Maybe a vacuum brake bleeding kit would help us get the air out of the system?

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 26 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed the mc first by cracking the banjo bolt Untill you get the air out from that point of the system....if that's not working then unholy the mc so the brake line is straight and you can purge the airlock...then start on the caliper .how much was the piston and seal as I've got a kdx200 SR which has a rusty blob where a brake piston should be!

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 26 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed the mc first by cracking the banjo bolt Untill you get the air out from that point of the system....if that's not working then unholy the mc so the brake line is straight and you can purge the airlock...then start on the caliper .how much was the piston and seal as I've got a kdx200 SR which has a rusty blob where a brake piston should be!

steady eddie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 26 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much brake fluid have you poured in? Sometimes it can take a 500ml bottle before you start getting any lever if you've had it apart.

You sure ya bleeding it right ? Wink
https://www.dirt-bike-secrets.com/motorcycle-brakes.html

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:38 - 26 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find works really well when bleeding brakes is to attach a plastic tube/ fuel line to the bleed nipple, and put the other end into a container part filled with out. The tube/ fuel line needs to be transparent, so the air bubbles can be seen.

Then the brake lever can be pumped, while simultaneously opening up then closing the brake nipple, allowing the fluid to flow through into the container, taking any air bubbles with it

There will be plenty of air bubbles at first on a rebuilt system
As the fluid is pumped through, the bubbles should get smaller/ less frequent. If this is not the case then suspect an air leak on the system.

Once the fluid is coming through clear of any bubbles, the tighten the brake bleed nipple and remove the pipe. The brake lever should now be firm, and should stop before it reaches the bar. If this is not the case then repeat until the fluid is clear of air bubbles.

If the fluid will not clear of air bubbles, then suspect an air leak. Check all bolts. If all tight then air is entering either through the master cylinder (rebuild kit £20, strip and reassemble) or something is amiss with the piston seals (unlikely as just rebuilt)

Hope this helps?

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:25 - 27 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
helpful stuff

dangerousdave wrote:
more helpful stuff

Thanks for this guys. I have read through them, ticking it off in my mind and it pretty much fits with what we did.
  • The master cylinder seals, piston, spring etc were replaced last week and I don't think we damaged them in the process.
  • Banjo bolts were done up by feel by my mechanically minded friend so I didn't check the torque. Bolts, hose and washers are all new from HEL.
  • We bled with a bit of transparent hose on the nipple leading into a jug of old brake fluid, with a dead earwig* in it for luck.
  • During our first pass we had no luck at all, neither fluid nor air bubbles.
  • After we got the tiny return hole in the MC unblocked, we got back to pumping the lever, got air bubbles as you'd expect, then brake fluid out of the nipple.
  • Eventually we filled the entire output hose with brake fluid. So the fluid is definitely travelling through the system. We added more new fluid at intervals to the MC.
  • There's no more air coming out that we can see in the hose.
  • And yet the lever comes back to the handlebar and the caliper isn't moving.

So I'm thinking that maybe there is air caught in the braided hose as it curves up and away from the MC. As bladerunner says (I think he says) maybe we can get that out by holding the braided hose straight or above the MC and getting rid of the airlock.

Or, by using a vacuum, quickly and easily pull a ton of fluid through the system and the airlock out with it.

EDIT Kawasaki NOS piston, seal and boot £40 (!). A pattern part is about half that, but I had problems getting the right size and bits.

*an earwig is traditional, but a small moth or beetle may be substituted if earwigs are not available

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:53 - 27 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:

[*] And yet the lever comes back to the handlebar and the caliper isn't moving.

If you are getting no movement from the calliper pistons at all, something is definitely amiss.

1. So, starting from the top. The Master Cylinder
Are you getting good pressure from the master cylinder?

Test this by removing the braided hose, and put your finger over the hole. Remove the master cylinder filler top so you can see the one-way seal.

When pumping the lever, then pressure should quickly build and push your finger away. Fluid should pass your finger regardless of how hard you hold it. These kick out some pressure, if you are not feeling that, there is a problem with the master-cylinder. Air bubbling back though the one-way valve is an indication it is pulling in air.

If this is the case then likely culprit are those seals in the master cylinder. They are easily damaged when installing. Also, easy to get them the wrong way around :o (we've all done it)

2. The hose
If pressure is strong from the master cylinder then put the hose back onto the master cylinder, and detach it from the brake calliper.

Hold the hose with your finders on both sides of the open end. You need to bleed the hose manually now as it has been off the bike and will be full of air.

Have your mate slowly pull the lever in. Let the air escape from around your fingers. As he slowly lets the lever go, hold the cable end hard to prevent any air being pulled in. Repeat this, until it builds up enough pressure so it forces air past your fingers no matter how hard you hold it. It may take a few minutes of this to successfully push all the air out.

This should be a no-brainer, the hose is new, if the master cylinder is good, the hose will quickly push out all air using this method.

You should have great pressure at the end of the hose. If not, repeat this section 2 until you have.

3. The calliper.
At this point you should have a strong pressure from the end of the brake hose.

Install the brake hose onto the calliper. Go back to the clear hose from the brake nipple, into a pot of fluid routine. Open the nipple, slowly pull in the lever, close the nipple, slowly let the lever return. Again, repeat this until you have no bubbles coming through the clear hose. At this stage, with the nipple closed, you should feel pressure at the lever, it should not pull back to the bar. It should stop dead half way through the stroke, as it pushes the pistons onto the disk.

And it's done*

*Hopefully.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:04 - 27 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:

[*] And yet the lever comes back to the handlebar and the caliper isn't moving.

If you are getting no movement from the calliper pistons at all, something is definitely amiss.

1. So, starting from the top. The Master Cylinder
Are you getting good pressure from the master cylinder?

Test this by removing the braided hose, and put your finger over the hole. Remove the master cylinder filler top so you can see the one-way seal.

When pumping the lever, then pressure should quickly build and push your finger away. Fluid should pass your finger regardless of how hard you hold it. These kick out some pressure, if you are not feeling that, there is a problem with the master-cylinder. Air bubbling back though the one-way valve is an indication it is pulling in air.

If this is the case then likely culprit are those seals in the master cylinder. They are easily damaged when installing. Also, easy to get them the wrong way around :o (we've all done it)

2. The hose
If pressure is strong from the master cylinder then put the hose back onto the master cylinder, and detach it from the brake calliper.

Hold the hose with your finders on both sides of the open end. You need to bleed the hose manually now as it has been off the bike and will be full of air.

Have your mate slowly pull the lever in. Let the air escape from around your fingers. As he slowly lets the lever go, hold the cable end hard to prevent any air being pulled in. Repeat this, until it builds up enough pressure so it forces air past your fingers no matter how hard you hold it. It may take a few minutes of this to successfully push all the air out.

This should be a no-brainer, the hose is new, if the master cylinder is good, the hose will quickly push out all air using this method.

You should have great pressure at the end of the hose. If not, repeat this section 2 until you have.

3. The calliper.
At this point you should have a strong pressure from the end of the brake hose.

Install the brake hose onto the calliper. Go back to the clear hose from the brake nipple, into a pot of fluid routine. Open the nipple, slowly pull in the lever, close the nipple, slowly let the lever return. Again, repeat this until you have no bubbles coming through the clear hose. At this stage, with the nipple closed, you should feel pressure at the lever, it should not pull back to the bar. It should stop dead half way through the stroke, as it pushes the pistons onto the disk.

And it's done*

*Hopefully.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:25 - 27 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
And it's done*

*Hopefully.

Thanks Dave will go through this when I next get to the bike. You think you've done something properly but it's easy to miss things.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5