Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fettling a Kawasaki KMX 200

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:40 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Re: HT coil conundrum - any advice? Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
This is the one you want.

Looks that way doesn't it, but this is used. There don't seem to be any new parts of this configuration?

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:59 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you'd find a new one now. Not a Genuine Kawasaki part anyway.

In the past I've used secondhand HT coils on my Thunderace, wouldn't hesitate to do so again. They are still going after 30,000 miles.

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:30 - 11 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about these:
https://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=310734617595

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:44 - 11 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:

That's what I bought the first time. Very Happy

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:38 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
dangerousdave wrote:

That's what I bought the first time. Very Happy

Nightmare.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:03 - 09 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, today I went and did some work on the KMX200 with the help of my long-suffering friend. To recap, the bike idles fine and runs well at small to medium throttle openings, but stutters and misses above around 6,000 rpm or at wide throttle openings.

We had agreed to whip the head off and that's what we did, probably took us 30 minutes, including rooting about for a container for the coolant and trying to find the right size spanners and sockets. Then we took out the KIPS valves.

https://i.imgur.com/JwHHOVJ.jpg

Now I'm left with a conundrum. As far as we can see, the KIPS valves were inserted properly and if you move the rod that is supposed to rotate the valves, the valves open and close. However, the cutouts in the valves seem the same, whereas the valves shown in the official Kawasaki service manual and the Haynes book have different shapes. Here's what the manual shows:

https://i.imgur.com/FmmArWK.jpg

Notice how the cutout is straight across in the valve on the left and diagonal across the valve on the right. And here's a random image plucked from elsewhere on the web - again, different cutouts:

https://i.imgur.com/KjFN2fo.jpg

Oddly, although my valves have the same cutout shape, they seem to come from different stock. Note that end of one of them is blunt and closed whereas the other has a bevel with a hole punched in the end. Also, look at the shape of the teeth of the cog - clearly different. So it looks as if they were made by different suppliers.

https://i.imgur.com/EJlQ3HB.jpg

What do I have here? A mismatched set of powervalves? But if you look at the site BDK Engineering, which makes and sells two-stroke parts, their valve kit looks like this - just like mine and both with the same shape cutout. Curiouser and curiouser.

https://i.imgur.com/2I9h8iJ.jpg

What's going on? Shocked

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:08 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:

The BDK valves are an exact match of the Kawasaki KMX 200 Kips valves.

Your valves have the correct cutouts. However, if you look at your valves, they seem to be missing the piece of steel at the bottom which helps them locate in the cylinder? Or is it just the photo?

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:19 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
The BDK valves are an exact match of the Kawasaki KMX 200 Kips valves. Your valves have the correct cutouts. However, if you look at your valves, they seem to be missing the piece of steel at the bottom which helps them locate in the cylinder? Or is it just the photo?

Thanks for the suggestion. No, my valves do seem to be missing a bit on each, but there is a hole or indentation at the bottom of each valve. Perhaps I left a bit in the head? Will have a look next time.

So why does the manual show different cutouts - is this a difference between the KMX125 and the KMX200? If so, then it does appear as if the valves are the right kind of valves. Which would be annoying, because it may mean I haven't found the problem after all.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the early alloy valves were handed, and the LHS and RHS were different shapes. I remember when I bought a new OEM Kawasaki valve to replace the snapped one in my first KMX200, that the new valve was a different shape to the old one. I queried this, but it was the updated part no.

So basically new valves will not be handed like the old ones were, and looking at your valves they appear to be the original Alloy versions, hence why they seem to have suffered with the lower part of the spindle snapping off after a partial seizure. My LHS valve broke in the same way, but it was the upper part of the spindle that broke off, just below the gear.

Either way you really need a new set of valves or a good second hand pair.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:33 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
hence why they seem to have suffered with the lower part of the spindle snapping off after a partial seizure. My LHS valve broke in the same way, but it was the upper part of the spindle that broke off, just below the gear.

Aha, the light dawns...! Belatedly. Time to talk to BDK then I suppose.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not always easy to get the broken bits left in the cylinder barrel out in situ. They normally are stuck in place with oily gunk, and if you can't pull them out with needle nose pliers etc, you might have to take the barrel off. If the top guide bushes aren't worn then re-use them, but it's recommended you replace the O rings, and use a high temp grease on the rack and pinion gears.

I'm not sure about the BDK valves, but on the Kawasaki OEM ones, there are two dots that line up with grooves on the operating rack to time the valves up. It is physically possible to fit them backwards and then they don't work too well.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:43 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
It is physically possible to fit them backwards and then they don't work too well.

I bet they don't...
Maybe something like this would do the job?

EDIT In this case the spindles are broken but the valves do seem to be rotating because the gears are responding to the action of the rod. Could they perhaps be slipping due to the lack of an anchor at the bottom end, thus causing the kind of stuttering that I have been seeing?

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:50 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:

So why does the manual show different cutouts - is this a difference between the KMX125 and the KMX200?

KMX125 valves are very different to the 200 valves.

The 125 valves are much smaller in comparison, and the cutouts are different.

And, as Steve said, to add to the confusion, there are two types of valve for the KMX 200.

1. Early type, made of alloy, different profile.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kawasaki-kmx200-kmx-200-kips-governor-valve-kit-rod-guide-power-valve-exhaust-/121480339078?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&clk_rvr_id=728556009733&hash=item1c48cade86&nma=true&si=uwOUy5Y5cedM5EtL8f2zCN1LJrg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

2. Later type, 1989 on i think, made of steel, both sides very similar profiles. Profile can be seen on the BDK valves.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-KMX200-KIPS-VALVE-KITS-NEW-STEEL-REPLACEMENT-ITEMS-WITH-BUSH-AND-SEAL-/381048664437?

Both types of valves will work fine, but the early ones were more prone to snapping due to being made of the weaker metal.

Your valves are of the later type. How the bottom has snapped off like that is really odd. Maybe somebody tried to modify them?

Is the remaining part stuck in the cylinder ? Or is it missing?

I don't suppose they would work too well like that, as I imagine they will tilt and possibly jam in position without being stabilised by the part on the bottom. I doubt they would be able to operate smoothly, although this would be easy to test with the valves in situ.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
To recap, the bike idles fine and runs well at small to medium throttle openings, but stutters and misses above around 6,000 rpm or at wide throttle openings.

Have you checked the spark plug colour ? Although you are running what seems to be the correct size main jet, and clip position, I can't help thinking the fuel mixture could be off.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:18 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Plug is fine Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
slowlydoesit wrote:
To recap, the bike idles fine and runs well at small to medium throttle openings, but stutters and misses above around 6,000 rpm or at wide throttle openings.

Have you checked the spark plug colour ? Although you are running what seems to be the correct size main jet, and clip position, I can't help thinking the fuel mixture could be off.

Sorry for silence, been having a busy year. Well, I bought the BDK kit and replaced the power valves, which has helped at the high end, it will rev freely now, but it still stutters under load at around 4-5,000.

We thought that the symptoms could be interpreted as a problem when the bike is coming off the pilot and on to the main jet (not for the first time). So we stripped the carb for the fourth time last weekend and it looks fine. Measured everything again, checked needle and pilot, all look OK. Most of the parts are new.

No obvious problems in the various ducts. Coil has been replaced. Plug is new and looks perfect.

I haven't tested compression - worth a go?
And perhaps the CDI?

All very frustrating. The bike runs fine, until 4,000 rpm.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:25 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Re: Plug is fine Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:

I haven't tested compression - worth a go?
And perhaps the CDI?

All very frustrating. The bike runs fine, until 4,000 rpm.

Depends how bad the stuttering is. Remember it is a stroker so not the smoothest when out of the powerband.

You mentioned it stutters under load. Is this momentary, for example when throttle whacked wide open, or is it a permanent feature around 4,000rpm?

If you were to ride up a hill in a high gear, throttle wide open, around 4,000rpm range, would it continuously stutter. Or would it briefly stutter then clean up?

Stuttering can be an indication of running too rich. I had this at around 5,000rpm when I was using a main jet which was too large. It was very noticeable when the engine had not fully warmed up, less so when up to temp. The main jet is not just responsible for top-end behavior, it also overlaps other circuits in the carb, enriching them also. Worth checking the plug colour after a run at 4.000rpm. You are looking for a creamy coffee brown colour on the electrode. If it is not this colour, then your jetting is incorrect.

You have had fhe cylinder off for the KIPS replacement, so unless there was blow by, scoring to the piston or bore, I can't see an issue really. If you have access to a compression checker, then worth doing just to eliminate that completely. Minimum psi is 108 on these, mine had dropped to 110. At this stage the piston in my bike was worn, and the piston slap could be easily heard in a nasty rattle.

Good luck and us know how you get on?

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:04 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Re: Plug is fine Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:

You mentioned it stutters under load. Is this momentary, for example when throttle whacked wide open, or is it a permanent feature around 4,000rpm?

It appears to be permanent around that level. We haven't really tried going far on the roads but previously after giving it a ride and returning to the workshop, which is on top of a hill, it stuttered all the way back up. I had to stay at low revs.

With regard to your comments about the main jet, I'm now wondering if it might be something as simple as this - a missing washer?! I should have noticed not having a washer in there, but I did replace the main jet, so maybe I missed putting it back in? That would be... embarrassing...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5