Fettling a Kawasaki KMX 200

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:25 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Personally, if the filter is catching it I would just run it like that, and keep an eye on the filter. Change it when it starts to fill with rubbish.

All the best

Keith

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:31 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi
Personally, if the filter is catching it I would just run it like that, and keep an eye on the filter. Change it when it starts to fill with rubbish.

I see what you're saying, but it filled a quarter of the filter in 5 minutes just pootling around in first. I'd have to be changing the filter every 20 minutes or even less when travelling at speed with a decent flow of petrol through the filter!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:33 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The grit still seems to be mixed up, not settled. Is that the fuel level in the filter, or a separation? Could be water from the tank, with the grit sitting in that at the bottom and fuel floating on top.

All the best

Keith

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:52 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
The grit still seems to be mixed up, not settled. Is that the fuel level in the filter, or a separation? Could be water from the tank, with the grit sitting in that at the bottom and fuel floating on top.

Hard to say. The filter is full of fuel - I watched it fill up when I opened the tap - and the brown stuff is the sediment. It started out like a white powder but turned progressively brown.

Incidentally when I stripped down the fuel tap and replaced the rubber elements they were coated with a powdery white sediment also. A brown sediment I would interpret as rust, and there may be some of that as well which would explain the change in colour, but no idea what the original white stuff was.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:16 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

White powder is odd (assuming it is not powered by fuel from Licence to Kill), but milky kind of liquid could be a water / fuel emulsion.

All the best

Keith

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:43 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
White powder is odd (assuming it is not powered by fuel from Licence to Kill), but milky kind of liquid could be a water / fuel emulsion.

Maybe a milky water/fuel emulsion that evaporated leaving behind the sediment....? (Clutching at straws I know.)

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:47 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The white in the emulsion wouldn't be from sediment, just tiny drops of water in the fuel (or the other way round).

All the best

Keith

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:54 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swilled my tank out with rust remover, and although inside the tank turned back to nice shiney metal, I nowhave a lot of white powder / scale inside it, Ive flushed the worst out with petrol, will have to clean properly after painting it....

Maybe someones done something similar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:56 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavcarter wrote:
I swilled my tank out with rust remover, and although inside the tank turned back to nice shiney metal, I nowhave a lot of white powder / scale inside it

Aha. Yes, I think the previous owner did do that...

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:00 - 21 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a walk down to your local fishing tackle, outdoor sports type place and get either a tub of lead shot, or metal BB's, slosh them round with a bit of petrol, should knock the worst off....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:32 - 25 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavcarter wrote:
I would have a walk down to your local fishing tackle, outdoor sports type place and get either a tub of lead shot, or metal BB's, slosh them round with a bit of petrol, should knock the worst off....

Have bitten the bullet and bought a secondhand tank. Looks to be in great shape, shame about different tank graphics! Hope to fit it this weekend or early next week.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:17 - 26 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures now uploaded. Annoyingly there's something rattling around inside, sounds metallic. I can't see it; maybe I can get it out with a magnet.

Looks very clean on this side...

https://i.imgur.com/vqYi7jC.jpg

...and on this side too.

https://i.imgur.com/SulVdD6.jpg

Bottom of the tank has surface rust.

https://i.imgur.com/5doyFwQ.jpg?1

Doesn't look like a problem.

https://i.imgur.com/DATQPvH.jpg

The bit round the lip of the filler is solid - current tank has flakey paint there.

https://i.imgur.com/gMMZkZ6.jpg?1

Inside looks good, as far as I can see.

https://i.imgur.com/EPzUUv6.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/oOtnhsz.jpg?1

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:03 - 27 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank looks about as clean as they come, used.

Rattling is probably a bolt, possibly when previous owner removed the tank cap. Better out than in.

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 27 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo that, it's a very good clean tank indeed!

I would wire brush and de-rust the underside of the tank, and paint it with brush on Hammerite etc, and then rub on a thick layer of wax polish and leave it on, before you fit the tank, to protect the underside for ages!

How are you finding the braking now with the 2pot caliper? Any noticeable improvement?

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:02 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
Tank looks about as clean as they come, used.
Rattling is probably a bolt, possibly when previous owner removed the tank cap. Better out than in.

I have had a look with a small LED torch and it's not a bolt. It looks like one of the plastic pipes has come out of the fuel tap. I tried to get it out with a piece of blu-tack squashed on to the end of a chopstick.

The perhaps predictable result is that the piece of tubing is still in the tank, but has been joined by a large piece of blu-tack... Rolling Eyes

New caliper seems better than old, but will have to test it properly on the road once I fit the new tank.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
I have had a look with a small LED torch and it's not a bolt. It looks like one of the plastic pipes has come out of the fuel tap. I tried to get it out with a piece of blu-tack squashed on to the end of a chopstick.

The perhaps predictable result is that the piece of tubing is still in the tank, but has been joined by a large piece of blu-tack... Rolling Eyes

I knew you were going to put that, lol.

Top Tip: If you keep trying various methods of removal you'll soon drop enough crap in there that nothing will be able to rattle.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:00 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Tank fixed but now stutters at higher throttle openings Reply with quote

More glorious weather in West Wales. I cruised over to the workshop and did some work on the KMX. The new tank is on and seems to work fine. The graphics clearly don't match the bike, but it'll do for now.

https://i.imgur.com/H0YWi5L.jpg

The blu-tack has been removed and the rattly thing, which turned out to be one of the inlet pipes for the fuel tap, was hooked out with some welding wire. I took the bike for a spin and found that the engine no longer has the problem of racing at higher revs, which has been a concern. As per the pictures above, there seemed to be a white paste (perhaps from the treatment that was given to the previous tank?) contaminating the carbs and that at least seems to have stopped. It no longer smokes like it used to and it starts easily. So far so good.

On the other hand, when I wind open the throttle from mid-range on - about 5,000rpm, but varies - the bike stutters and won't rev to the top of the range. The actual rpm at which this happens depends on the gear, so sometimes it happens at around 4k and sometimes at 6k. I'm thinking that although I have a new(ish) tank and fresh petrol, the sludgy petrol from the previous tank may have contaminated the carb and be causing a sticky main jet. I have already stripped the carb twice, but that was before I realised that the residue from the old tank was the problem.

Continuing (but different) fuelling problems aside, it was a good day. I rode the bike for a few miles along country roads and it felt pretty good to be cruising around in such great weather. Bike is well balanced and easy to ride, though I'm having a few problems getting used to the lack of engine braking. I think the clutch could do with some adjustment as it feels to me as if you have to pull it back a long way to change gear, but that's something for the future.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:26 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuttery running does sound like muck in the carb.
Be interesting to know if it responds the same immediately after the carb had been cleaned and the jets blown out with compressed air.

If performance is the same after this, same stuttery running then check your jetting. Somebody may have altered the jetting from the original spec when the Big One exhaust was fitted. Look at the needle clip position, believe it should be on #2 for standard setup. Then check the main jet size, this should be #112.5.

Check the air filter is clean and lightly oiled also. The spark plug may need a clean/replacement, they are cheap anyway.

Hope that solves it.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:22 - 16 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
Stuttery running does sound like muck in the carb.
Be interesting to know if it responds the same immediately after the carb had been cleaned and the jets blown out with compressed air.

It was. Stripped, blasted and cleaned again on Saturday but the stutter was still there. Circlip is on second position, jet is 112.5.
Quote:
Check the air filter is clean and lightly oiled also.

Did not think of this! Will check filter and change spark plug. Have got new HT coil to try as well.

Thanks for suggestions and apologies for delay in responding - didn't see post.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 05:27 - 17 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two-strokes can be a little finicky, unless the set-up is perfect, they won't run right. Its good you now know the jetting is correct, for the standard set up.

Good shout on the coil, didn't think of that myself.

Old filters can cause rough running if they are limiting air flow. Spark plugs can cause problems as well if the gap isn't right or if there is a carbon build up. I clean the plug regularly.

Any air leaks between the carb and the air box will throw the jetting out. Be worth checking if anything obvious, tears in the rubber, cracks, or fastenings which aren't tight or no longer sealing.

Any leaks around the near side KIPS resonator cover? The threads can go causing a proper seal on the cylinder to be impossible. If this is leaking it may have trouble below 6,000, as it will loose compression.

Finally, any leaks on the exhaust?

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 03:35 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: HT coil conundrum - any advice? Reply with quote

Now I have a problem with the HT coil I bought to see if it would cure the stuttering issue at higher revs. Partly my fault: I should have looked at the existing part and taken a photo before ordering the new part. Basically, the existing HT coil was fixed to the bike with a bolt that passed at 90 degrees to the frame rail through a lug. The new HT coil has a hole that runs parallel or in line with the frame rail.

There's no way it will fit, though I could bodge it by securing it with a cable tie. Would that work or does the coil need to be earthed on the frame? The old coil has no metal in the mounting hole, so I guess it can't be earthing.

And why the hell would the mounting holes be different? A search on Ebay for "KMX HT coil" bring up both types. Why would that be? Something as basic as a frame lug surely wouldn't change over time would it?

https://i.imgur.com/IhiSTuw.jpg

We also seem to have inadvertently destroyed the spark plug cap when we pulled out the HT coil cable, which was secured to the plug cap with a screw and two washers (see below). The plug cap seemed to contain a resistive element of some kind, which is the red part in the picture. Is that normal?

https://i.imgur.com/Vq4WGWR.jpg

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:53 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a suppressor to stop TV interference? I wish they had those on Chinese peds...

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:40 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

the resistor in the cap can also stop damage to your electric system. Running an un-resisted cap when it is designed to be resisted can blow expensive black boxes if your unlucky.

As for the coil, I would just use a large jubilee clip round the frame and over the coil.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:24 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Re: HT coil conundrum - any advice? Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:

And why the hell would the mounting holes be different? A search on Ebay for "KMX HT coil" bring up both types. Why would that be? Something as basic as a frame lug surely wouldn't change over time would it?

Sorry, defo the wrong part there.

This is the one you want.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-KMX-200-COIL-/171342369880?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item27e4cd1458

Used the same part across all years as far as I know.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the spark plug is resistored (which most are now) you can discard the resistor in the cap. You only need 5k ohms to adhere to law etc, 10k ohms is just reducing your spark unnecessarily.

It is thought as good practice now, to integrate the resistence into the spark plug therefore changing both at the same time, and less issues with degredation, contact clenliness and availability of resistors in the caps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5