Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Project: 1993 Honda CB400 Project Big-1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Show & Tell by Kickstart (27 Apr 2014 - 21:04)
View previous topic : View next topic  

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 07 May 2014    Post subject: ** UPDATE ** Reply with quote

Hi,

Some update pics; done some painting of the clock mount bracket, rear clock surround and the headlight mounting brackets. Also started polishing the fork leg lowers - you can see the one I've start and the other untouched one.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7429/14129126165_a6c217c909_z.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7446/13942486470_56b241f383_z.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7442/14129123945_c0878bf6d8_z.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2899/13942454119_af30c8cd6d_z.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7445/13942491610_f16bd1f6d7_z.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5034/13942457057_c349f53f3d_z.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2939/14125803061_832b13179a_z.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:14 - 07 May 2014    Post subject: Re: ** UPDATE ** Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
Some update pics; done some painting of the clock mount bracket, rear clock surround and the headlight mounting brackets.

Impressive. Can you give us some detail on how you painted them? Rattle can or something more sophisticated? EDIT can see rattle cans lying around, finish looks pretty good considering?

Last edited by slowlydoesit on 20:11 - 07 May 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:57 - 07 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Thumbs Up

Every time I've seen Superfours about they were being used as cheap hacks, nice to see one getting some love for a change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Richy CB1000
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:18 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else people do, turn the front mudguard around, stubby's the front over the tyre and the longer part now pointing down at the back gives a bit more protection to the engine etc...

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 09 May 2014    Post subject: Re: ** UPDATE ** Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
Can you give us some detail on how you painted them? Rattle can or something more sophisticated? EDIT can see rattle cans lying around, finish looks pretty good considering?

Sure. I used Scotchbrite pads on all the parts to flatten the original finish (took a lot of effort on the chrome clock surround).

Once ready to paint, I use a pre-paint wipe (sold in packs of 5 from Halfords) to wipe the surface clean of any dust and other contaminants.

I used grey surface primer on the metal parts, and a plastic primer on the clock surrounds. The matt black paint is just from B&Q. I used to use Rust-OLeum paints but B&Q no longer appear to stock the brand, so I just used another brand of matt black they had.

I've done a fair bit of spray painting using cans in the past on cars (mainly painting wheels) so I am able to get a good finish from a rattle can.

Best tips I can give for painting is to spend more time on the prep than the paint; it's all about getting the surface ready for paint. Then, the first coat should just be a dusting - you should still clearly see the primer. Next coats should still be light. I used 5 coats on all these parts. The final coat is the heaviest - the key is knowing when too much paint it too much before it runs.

Hope this helps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:16 - 10 May 2014    Post subject: Re: ** UPDATE ** Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
Best tips I can give for painting is to spend more time on the prep than the paint; it's all about getting the surface ready for paint. Then, the first coat should just be a dusting - you should still clearly see the primer. Next coats should still be light. I used 5 coats on all these parts. The final coat is the heaviest - the key is knowing when too much paint it too much before it runs.
Hope this helps!

It does, thanks. I notice that Amazon do some Rustoleum surface primer which I suppose would do the trick? I already got a can of Simoniz black satin in a rattle can. And I guess the tack rags/wipes aren't difficult to find either. Now all I need is a bit of skill and care...

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 11 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

Yeah that's the same primer I normally use, it's good stuff and the nozzles don't clog up easy.

The pre-paint wipes I use are Halfords own brand and you'll get them in the spray paint/body repaid aisle - about £2.50 for a pack of 5.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 13 May 2014    Post subject: ** UPDATE ** Reply with quote

Hi,

Quick update - I've treated all rust spots on the frame and painted with smooth Hammerite; looks pretty good and you need to be up really close to tell which bits have been re-painted.

Really happy that I was able to start putting some bits back on the bike last night - got the rear under tray back on after cleaning it up with Autoglym Bumper Gel (amazing stuff - the plastic looks brand new!).

Also fitted the new rear indicators. They are not LED, just iridium lenses (I know they are a bit Marmite but I like the look!).

I then started polishing the foot peg hangers - not finished yet but you can see the difference in the photo. I'm not going for a mirror finish but just want them to look clean and a bit of a shine.

If you're still following this thread, I hope you are enjoying watching the progress, and thanks for reading!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7347/14172195591_09dd42d5d8_z.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7426/14195619593_2b74455074_z.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2911/14195620213_29129927c8_z.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/14175509675_517861a7e4_z.jpg

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 19 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've stripped, serviced, cleaned and rebuilt the CB 400 Project Big-1 (pics to follow).

Problem is the exhaust is blowing a wee bit inside the collector (4-1 system) so I think it would fail an MOT. It's a full stainless steel system, and the rest of it is sound, but it doesn't look like it would be an easy place to weld. Confused

I'd happily replaced with a new full system, but can't find one anywhere for this bike Sad

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Richy CB1000
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:31 - 19 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there was a four into 1 "bypass" the collector box part, I'll have to start digging for that info it's a common mod on the 1000 for those wishing for a custom exhaust system. Re jet etc... possibly required though.

Are you sure the collector box can't be patched then paint protected? That's possibly the cheapest option.

reddeviljp
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:46 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely job on that mate. Puts by SF to shame. I haven't got the will to dress it up.Sorry. Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2