Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old Guzzi's Dont Die! / Strada Salvation,now with Video

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:20 - 17 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics now developed

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10603661_837321199626132_4155676016250465825_n.jpg

Trying to get it off the side stand

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10302115_837321399626112_4324522420662280388_n.jpg
Neat feet

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10540361_837321336292785_9050081830086917419_n.jpg?oh=8ed919e91cd619d7cc82163aff02f855&oe=5462E78C

And away
TheSmiler: binning it is better than going around a roundabout the wrong way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 18 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time travel to the 80's to take pics???

I want to know how!

Nice bike!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:02 - 18 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQL wrote:
Time travel to the 80's to take pics???
I want to know how!

No travel needed... some say I never left that decade
Quote:
It was her week-end off, and a nice sunny Sunday afternoon; so time to take her for a test ride, at Co-Op Car park... She forbid me to take a camera... but I'm a man... we NEVER listen... yeah... took the digi-compact out of my pocket when we got there to grab some video of her first ride.... puzzling... it says "Insert SD Card"... I opened the flap... and looked in... it was empty... I looked up... there's SnowTigeress, smiling sweetly! .... so I took the FILM camera out of my other pocket! (He He!) So these were taken on out-of-date Kodak Gold 100, with my old favourite clam-shell Olympus AX2 super-compact. Crops from full frame were made optically.

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/XX-Forum%20Posts/dsc_1310_zpsfa485763.jpg
Without the flash, one of these is barely any bigger than a pack of fags; but full of full-frame loveliness, if rather chitty print film! (though scanning leaves something to be desired & there's about 10xzoom in the grainy crops)
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10543642_837321302959455_3111390119155278314_n.jpg?oh=ed93fa1696ca7348d2936de88512780c&oe=54662F29
That's the full-frame photo this crop was taken from
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10540361_837321336292785_9050081830086917419_n.jpg?oh=8ed919e91cd619d7cc82163aff02f855&oe=5462E78C
I do not own a camera-phone, and old film cameras have big advantage that you don't have to worry about flat batteries... well, too much...

I tend to keep a couple of film cameras loaded and to hand, 'just in case'. Favourite is an old 1970's fully clockwork Sigma M42 screw mount SLR with a big bag of primes.. Wonderful not having to worry that I only have two Lith battery packs, and can easily dead one in a couple of hours, leaving me effectively camera-less... but it's just a BIT on the heavy side and rather bulky to stick in a pocket! But full-frame quality and a fresh sensor every frame. The XA compact was applauded in its day for SLR rivalling results; and being one of the smallest full-frame 35mm cameras ever made, so 'pocketable' and easy to use; and they still are. Cheap too. Few want film cameras any more, and thems that do are spoiled for choice, with with high-end pro-grade SLR film cameras often commanding less than £100.. no-one really looks twice at range-finders or compacts... so they can be great value, and no great loss if one falls out your pocket when you're on a motorbike Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 18 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

I tend to keep a couple of film cameras loaded and to hand, 'just in case'

This guy Laughing Razz Thumbs Up Karma

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 18 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Lovely to see it mobile again. Watch that side-stand Smile

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 19 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

I tend to keep a couple of film cameras loaded and to hand, 'just in case'

This guy Laughing Razz Thumbs Up Karma

i keep spare batteries chargesd and and half a dozen SD cards in the bag with the camera, then half dozen more on my desk, pretty sure there are some more kicking around somewhere, not sure where though

oh and snowie does kinda remind me of jimmy carr when he did the TG star in resonably priced car with her lid on

Triumph1300
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the road now Snowie?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnowTigeress wrote:
Wooohooooooooo I love it.......Got Tef to take the guzzi and i followed on my 125 to the nearest car park for my first ride on the Strada It was great once i got it off the side stand its a little on the tall side,I was a bit tense though but god it pulled my arms out after the Pup

Roll on September Rolling Eyes

Careful, someone on here got caught by the old bill and a fairly severe punishment IIRC for riding illegally in a car park.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:22 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
SnowTigeress wrote:
Wooohooooooooo I love it.......Got Tef to take the guzzi and i followed on my 125 to the nearest car park for my first ride on the Strada It was great once i got it off the side stand its a little on the tall side,I was a bit tense though but god it pulled my arms out after the Pup

Roll on September Rolling Eyes
Careful, someone on here got caught by the old bill and a fairly severe punishment IIRC for riding illegally in a car park.

IIRC in a car giving a lesson and done for no insurance, or letting someone drive with no insurance, or something along those lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:28 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

map wrote:
IIRC in a car giving a lesson and done for no insurance, or letting someone drive with no insurance, or something along those lines.

The Guzzi was T and T and I was insured to ride it,But I did not want to take it straight on the road,as I was still restricted........But not as of today I've done my 2 years........ I can now ride on the road and not have to worry about being pulled

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Guzzi only makes about 40HP

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:

An Earth shattering 48 Thumbs Up

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:15 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
noobRider wrote:

In fairness that'd be 48 Italian horse power. Stallion power don't you know Wink

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:26 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:

It dont matter now my 2 years is up,I can ride any bike Very Happy

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:30 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS on the camera front,

The 5D mk2 I borrow from the my uncle will get over 1300 shots to a charge (thats using L glass with USM and IS on)

The Eos 3 I have claims 50 rolls on a charge, so realistically not that much different, the Eos C2-R5 batteries aren't rechargeable either. OK the NI-CD battery pack I have is is and will shoot for longer by this is much bigger and heavier.

I love film (I have a ~£200 plustek film scanner and my own dark room) but digital is much better £ for £ is especially when you thrown in film and developing costs. Even the cheapest film - processed negative I've found is £1.99 for 24 colour frames.

Digital crop

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1070039_10151722843148476_1107595891_n.jpg?oh=347b16db68a1debee4bd6f08fca58828&oe=548A6091&__gda__=1419434318_a8d92437a6f982be188537a7a6125d03

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/969525_10151722843088476_1018260004_n.jpg?oh=91e18c4888d1a3cff437f476f505d1b9&oe=548726D0

I believe I shot this with my 20d which can be had for as little as £44.50 delivered on ebay

That wouldn't even get you a semi decent neg scanner...

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:28 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I love film (I have a ~£200 plustek film scanner and my own dark room) but digital is much better £ for £ is especially when you thrown in film and developing costs. Even the cheapest film - processed negative I've found is £1.99 for 24 colour frames.

Cost-Per frame, digital will always win, 'cos after you have the hardware, its essentially cost-less. Yeah, you can get a 2nd hand DSLR & lense for about £100... but then you cant give some old 35mm SLR's away..... and either way, they don't fit in your pocket.
Which is the beauty of old higher end 35mm compacts. They often have much better optics than entry level digital, plus full-frame resolution, yet, as the little XA2 I use, as pocketable as a pack of fags. ASDA process only for £2 a film round here, so yeah, if you expect to machine-gun off a few thousand frames in an afternoon, you could end up spending a lot, but? Film for £1, Developed for £2... it's pocket-money photography, without any major upfront investment.
Matt B wrote:
noobRider wrote:

You are both correct, but Noob does have the inside line... 48bhp 'quoted' in maker's specs; but when Noob had the bike he had it dyno-tuned to set the carbs up, and it showed a nice healthy 40 at the back wheel.
map wrote:
In fairness that'd be 48 Italian horse power. Stallion power don't you know Wink
I would be inclined to agree; I reckon that there are probably at least 1.5 Japanese Horses, per italian one Wink
map wrote:

I may be putting my man-parts in jeopardy saying this.... but in the list of worries, taking her down that car-park, I was more worried about getting a parking ticket, than her licence entitlement being challenged!

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/7JXAqdrl.jpg
Red: before re-jetting
Blue: after re-jetting
Nice butterfly Chris Smile

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:09 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Which is the beauty of old higher end 35mm compacts. They often have much better optics than entry level digital, plus full-frame resolution

Totally pointless when you use pound shop film, supermarket processing and a cheapo negative scanner and what resolution is your negative scanner?

The photo you posted is obviously taken in a fairly bright area,

Here is a random photo taken on my mobile phone, in a fairly dark theatre.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/DCC7653D-7353-4771-8954-13F0B95C663B_zps0viudinw.jpg

I think it's fairly clear what looks better image quality wise.

I wish I had some shots from my little Canon to hand it is a little point and shoot that I got for the princely sum of £35 from Canon's outlet shop on eBay.

Don't get me wrong, I love film. I like taking my poundshop film out and having a play, in the last 2 years I've owned 6 different film cameras! It certainly has it's place in the hobbiest area or for pros who use expensive film and process in themselves whether it be Medium format or 35mm.

However for snaps a modern sub £50 Point and shoot is better in everyway.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
However for snaps a modern sub £50 Point and shoot is better in everyway.
There's pro's & cons either which way, Chris.

Some of the latest Camera-Phones are pretty impressive; my daughter has taken some stunning shots for her GCSE photography on hers; But personally I don't own one... I cant get on with them; particularly the latest touch-scree things! Bane of banana fingers! Yeah, you can get little stylus thing's I know.... But big faff I find, even to just FIND the bludy camera setting, let alone take a picture.

Digi-Compacts? I gave them ten years. WYSIWYG composition screen, they had a lot of what a SLR offered, without the cost or bulk. When last one died though.... did have a good hard think about it. Five Digi-Compacts in ten years... they aren't quite as err... 'robust' as my old 35mm compacts. The more battered XA2 in prev post, was bought in 1980; It's went pretty much every where with me for nie on 20 years, and I estimate around half of my halide negs came out of that camera; probably something in the order of five, six hundred films, 20,000 frames; and in its life, got a new pair of button cells, probably four or five times.

My first Digi-Pact in 2002, took 4xAAA batteries, and proved not to run on Ni-Cads. I persevered with it, until I realised it was costing me more in batteries, than my film cameras did in film! So I bought one that took AA's. It lacked an optical view-finder, that the first one had, that had allowed me to turn the view-screen 'off' to preserve battery life a bit. BUT it DID at run on Ni-Cad's... Briefly. It's 'convenience' was rather damped, by having to fill its camera pouch with spares.. and having to swap them almost every time I turned the damn thing 'on'. Wasn't SO bad when I invested in some 2400mAh NiHm or whatever they are... BUT... still less than ideal; and tiny compositin screen, that was useless in bright sunlight meant I was often shooting blind.

So, in 2007, I was convinced by my father, suffering server 'none so righteous as the converted' syndrome to have a 'Zoom' compact. "It does EVERYTHING an SLR does, in your pocket" He S-a-i-d... and he bought us all Kodak thingies for Christmas..... I'll admit that they were reasonably useful, and was for six years my front line camera... though only because we had more than one.... I think that the screen broke on the first one, then the pop out lens on another, then the focus went completely screwie on the last... and I sort of extended usefulness making franken-camera out of the bits from each! And having the batteries from the broken ones as 'spares'. But, little niggles like shutter lag, and glared out view-screen, lack of ISO range, and manual compensation, all remained. They did NOT do everything an SLR did.

Somewhere there is a Cannon 'powershot'(?) knocking about that 'Grandad' bought my daughter, to replace the Kodak when it broke, which was what I had slipped in my pocket to video Snowie's first ride, only to find she or my daughter had removed the SD-Card... And it's a very useful little camera, and for 99% of picture taking, probably as much as most people ever need out of a camera, if they are oblivious to or able to work around, and when I finally gave up on the Franken-Kodak, it was very very hard to justify buying a DSLR over one, but I did, eventually.

Middle of the bell-curve, yup; more likely to get a more acceptable image from a more modern digital compact, more easily, more reliably. BUT, tending to the limits, sort-comings of any camera become apparent, and I've had successes with film where have had failures wth digi and vica versa.

Meanwhile... 35mm? Its pocket-money fun-photography.

I was given the Sigma in a loft clearance, think some-time around 1991. Had a rather nice Ziess-Jena 50 on the front, and when 'rummaging' in camera shops, I popped in 'just' for a roll of film, started putting together a 'period' M42 screw-prime kit around it, buying old 60's & 70's accessories, like an early 'electronic' flash, or a ball-head tripod, and adding lenses for a couple of quid a go.

It's a 'different' sort of picture making 'Slow-Photo', especially if I'm using the un-metered Zenith body and Leningrad hand-held meter; the whole process slowed down, demanding you take time to choose your lens length, measure your light levels, set the shutter and aperture, use the focus scale to work out DoF, and the compose your shot. Makes it all a lot more 'considered'. Or introduces some serendipity, shooting from the hip, relying on film latitude and guess-work rather than the meter.

Was at Bassets this week, with the Zenith and 12mm 'no-focus' Fish-Eye... TTL metering is a waste of time with a ' fish, for the most part anyway; How much are Fish-Eye lenses for DSLR? Think I broke the budget to pay a whole tenner for that one back around 1996! It's the sort of thing you can play with as pocket-money photography in film, that you would have to be very keen and invest a lot of money to try in digital, and where being so 'specialist' or of such limited novelty value, number of 'keepers' you'd likely get, could seriously turn the tables on the idea 'Digital is Cheap cos you don't have to buy film' suggestion.

The 35mm compacts? Again, almost give-away cheap. For a dabble in film? Common entry into film these days is an old 35mm SLR, some-one pulls out of an attic or off the top of a wardrobe. New user then starts out with a single, usually prime 50mm lens, and pointing it at scenery or architecture... the looking for a wider lens for it.

Fixed 35/35 compact? Already has that wider lens, and without pentaprism i the way, often a true-focal length one, and frequently a pretty fast one too. That XA has an equated lens, and its fastest apature is I think, f3.5, and is slightly constrained only having the ASA selector to effect manual compensation with. Still pretty versatile though. My Konika, has a true-focal length, f2.8 on it, and aperture priority metering.

Only down side is you cant change the lens.. but f you probably wont anyway? Eve cheaper than a film SLR for pocket-money fun photo.

And they are unobtrusive. The Olympus XA's were a favourite of the candid photographer in their day. Small, pocketable, fit the palm of your hand; one hand operation, 'open-click'wind' you could take a snap before any-one even realised you had a camera in your hand! And you still can. No 'faff' finding tiny button to turn the thing on, or waiting for it to boot up and wirring as the lens pops out, or alerting every-one to its presence lighting up like black-pool and bleeping to tell you it expects you to do something with it!

So, they are still useful, still good fun and that's why I took them snaps with that camera.

chris-red wrote:
and what resolution is your negative scanner?
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10543642_837321302959455_3111390119155278314_n.jpg?oh=ed93fa1696ca7348d2936de88512780c&oe=54662F29
'Original' image on my hard-drive is 6016x4000, 24Mpix.
It was 'digitised' using a 35mm duplicator lens on the Nikon to photograph the original negative, but due to crop factor, I cat dupe a full 35m frame 1:1 so done in eight sections, stitched in PS, to something in the order of 100Mpix, inverted, colour corrected, then down sized.

In 2000, I bought an Acer 2700 dedicated film scanner, for some stupid price, I think close on £400, after long deliberation on 'going digital' that quality vs cost of then current DSLR's, I was better off, shooting slide and scanning. Good scanner..... but on a Pentium II with 256Mb of ram? even though I paid the premium for the SCSI version, GOD was it SLOW! Seriously; boot up the PC, load up the software, slap a strip in the trap, leave the thing to scan, it would do maybe a frame an hour, IF the damn thing didn't crash!

It's still probably a pretty good scanner; but updating hardware, I struggled to get drivers to run it under later operating systems; so I picked up a cheap web-cam-scanner in Maplins a few years ago, which is frankly no great shakes, BUT? Fine for the odd bit of film-fun, and gets the old negs out into the day-light, and looked at again. Chucks out 5184x3360, or 17Mp, which I guess is with a far bit of interpolation. But reasonably quick and convenient, & delivers better scans tha ASDA, so good enough most of the time.

I use the dupe lens, if I have anything 'tricky' to do, that needs recovery work to make it viewable, or if want a better resolution crop.

I actually bought the dupe lens new back in 1992, to copy a huge box of slides found in my Gran's attic to print-film, cos half the family had never seen them, as Grandad had always made excuses about getting the projector out! Universal T2 barrel with OM mount, I Remounted to Nikon to fit the DSLR for a fiver or something.... 'Pocket-Money-Photo-Fun'.

Film stock for Guzzi-Pics (& most recent film-photo's) BTW, is out-of-date Kodak 100 CP, 20 rolls for a tenner! Seems to be a bit on the mute side and a tad green; ran an out-of-date Boots 200 through the Konika week or so back, and it was quite a lot more vibrant!

BUT

We're missing the point here.... as of midnight tonight, SNOWIE has an UNRESTRICTED licence AND a fully working, fully legal SEVEN FIFTY to ride on it!

Watch out World!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:
40 hp

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Watch out World!

Shocked

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:41 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
noobRider wrote:
40 hp
Teflon-Mike wrote:
Watch out World!
Shocked

You haven't seen her on the 13bhp Super-Dream, have you Matt?

She wrought near HAVOC on the Stratford-Upon-Avon rush hour... while 'work' have changed her hours, I'm sure to strategically avoid putting her on the public road around school-out time! Laughing

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:20 - 16 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
She wrought near HAVOC on the Stratford-Upon-Avon rush hour

Just after school mums have got back home

I had my first ride on him on the road....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10703814_853964247961827_8086974513615392782_n.jpg?oh=023da3bbc45ae537e6092f73a1b9c982&oe=54985FB5&__gda__=1422733316_11b04b47b3a9455e5dff1ef283a5d2d9

I ended up at Bassetts Pole Bike Night

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10390017_853964454628473_5675860737508709642_n.jpg?oh=a51eefefcbfef4e02743006a48e29c27&oe=54CF05C5

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10653773_853964481295137_1660383974490363866_n.jpg?oh=e3625048c2a71577b52723a3d66efd6b&oe=54C5B4F4

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10685715_853964491295136_3191973923578381589_n.jpg?oh=5f9d472801e6a1347cad2ecc9b23bb32&oe=54CC79A6

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:22 - 16 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No side panel.

VERY DANGEROUSE!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job!
Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6