GN 250 - Touring Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:04 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
For the last pic, use some imagination and pretend the line of the seat runs from the back over the trousers to make a more or less straight line. I think that it would already make the bike much less ghey and cooler looking already.

Definitely prefer the last pic. Dent the tank!

(carefully)

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be miles off on this, but wouldn't longer rear shocks help too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.p.phrealy wrote:
might be miles off on this, but wouldn't longer rear shocks help too?

Yeah the portuguese one has been jacked up with longer shock.

I don't mind buying new shocks, in fact they would probably be a good idea with a touring load etc, but I am a little apprehensive about ordering longer ones due to effect on steering geometry.

Anyone have any idea what is a sensible amount to raise the rear by? The portugese bike has been increased by 50mm I believe, which requires modding the brake torque arm and rear brake lever to get appropriate clearance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big were your bits of wood?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.p.phrealy wrote:
how big were your bits of wood?

Old bits of trellis about 16mm thick.

This looks a bit obsolete now though as I've been offered a CX500 tank, which has almost double the capacity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:28 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger set off on his world tour of Scotland in his bike in a box blog having just fitted his hop up ignition module; encountering erratic misfires; he was unsure whether it was good Scottish weather; the hop up ignition unit, or something completely unrelated. Seem to recall it turned out to be his arse... compressing ply wood seat when he bum shuffled into exactly the wrong spot to relieve cramps, tugging a wire loose through his ply DIY plywood based bobber seat.

Moral? Eliminate variables; don't create them!

I would stick to the stock tank.
I would leave the seat alone
I wouldn't bother repainting it.... as is looks tidy enough and it's not screaming out for the wrong kind of attention.

Next fable;
https://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/030_013_BlackDog/DAWG_03.jpg
That's my bike; when I bought it almost ten years ago, 'cheap'. I had to ride it back from London, a mere 90 miles, but I still managed to get tugged for a talk before I got out the city; and another two days later when I went over to busters to get some basic service spares in Cov, and yet another, when I went over to my uncle's in Stratford to reclaim a tool I needed to service it... think it was a plug spanner actually, but WTF.
Same story each time;
Me: "What seems to be the problem orificer?"
Orificer: "That THING got an MOT? Is it taxed?"
JUST 'cos of what it looked like.
Paint job lasted a week....
https://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/030_013_BlackDog/DAWG_15.jpg
and not been tugged since!
Bad enough dealing with unimaginative, uncomunicative, unco-operative UK cops who talk something like English... I would NOT like to hazard my chances with a Dago one with a GUN on his hip!

De-cruiserifying it? Drop the fork yokes 1" down the stanchions; now you got MX bars on there, ought to be plenty of room for them to protrude. Will quicken up the steering a bit too.

Back shocks? If you need to mod stuff to go up 2", don't. Remember, eliminate variables, dont create them.

If you don't want to risk investing in new, longer shocks; get spacer blocks. just lifts stock shock away from the swing arm.

New tyres & gaiters look good BTW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 30 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the zorst off. Sad

The whole thing is rotten to hell, pretty much the entire 2:1 bit has corroded off and needs a whole new sleeve welding in, let alone countless pits, pinholes and few massive corrosion holes around the headers.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Suzuki-GN250-GN-250-Exhaust-Complete-Silencer-Muffler/817202_767666664.html

The chineses do a full system for about 130 delivered. Might have to get on that, 2nd hand exhausts don't exist apparently.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is cool.

I saw a GN250 set up for touring, but he'd stuck great big ape hangers on it, he had a tent, big saddlebag, a great big top box. Looked quite good loaded up like that. I wanted to ask him about it, he was fetching supplies from Tescoes, before heading off into the sunset, or wherever he was going, but he didn't seem to want to talk about what it was like riding around with a fully loaded one. I'd imagine bouncy. The suspension looked like it was sitting quite low in its stroke.

My dad used to have an old red one too, when I was about 13, I used to think it was awesome, because it had more cc per cylinder than my dads GS850, not sure of the logic there, but I thought it meant it would be faster, and I could touch the floor! I wanted it for when I was older, but it got sold.

I think little bikes are quite good fun, so long as you avoid larger, faster roads. Wink
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

ShepShep
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:06 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What back tyre dim is that? Looks like a 16 rim?

smegballs wrote:
That's what I'm going for.

A portugese has done a rather nice job on his:

https://motrizadas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/project-gn-250-by-paulo-gomes.html

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1JxWJrkjHig/UznBgD9wExI/AAAAAAAAAlw/nnbxnksmqHE/s1600/IMG_1548.JPG

Remove all the cruiserness!! Cool

Stopping wise I've ordered a new 11mm master cylinder which should improve braking no end. I did the maths on the calipers, more to follow, and the stock 14mm master cylinder is massively oversized for this application.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3