Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

To track day or not

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Grimeric
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: To track day or not Reply with quote

Hi all.

I've only been riding on a full licence since early March this year but I am already thinking about track days.
I live about ten minutes from Cadwell so that would be my first track on a bike.
I would probably be looking to do one sometime this summer.
So do you guys think that it's too early in my riding career to even think about getting on the track or could it go a little way to add to my riding skills?
I know that they get bashed a lot but would my 97 b6 be acceptable at the track or would I likely get snubbed by track day pros who can afford a more expensive bike?

I've had a read of the FAQ and stickies but would appreciate any advice from you guys.

Cheers
Grim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:45 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be fine and so would the bike.

MattJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
You'd be fine and so would the bike.

+1

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine. Go in novice, and you'll not be the slowest. Track days are super friendly, and they'll be all sorts of machinery. Thumbs Up

Track day's aren't cliquey IME, and no one will be bothered what bike you're on at all.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't care about your bike, people will be pissed off if you throw the bike down every session though and waste people's track time.

Stay comfortable, and don't crash it, you'll get on fine.

Grimeric
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I will get one booked in this summer then. Do most of you prep your bikes like take off mirrors and tape things up etc or do you just arrive and ride?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:25 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimeric wrote:
Thanks for that. I will get one booked in this summer then. Do most of you prep your bikes like take off mirrors and tape things up etc or do you just arrive and ride?

Take the mirrors off or tape them up.
Tape up your headlight if it's glass (no need otherwise).
Pay attention to your tyre pressures (35psi hot is a general guide, fair bit lower than the road).

That's it really. Can all be done at the track if you're riding there, or done beforehand if you're putting the bike in a van.

Grimeric
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As easy as it sounds then. I will probably ride there as I'm not all that far from Cadwell. And and then hopefully ride home!!!

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:04 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used to take a spare brake and clutch lever (which you should have at home anyway) - never actually needed them for my bike but sold them to someone else plenty of times. Simple thing that can make getting home a lot easier if you do have a drop. And duct tape.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just throw a roll of gaffa tape, and use the rest of the space in my bag for food and drink (you'll need a lot of fluids especially). No over priced shitty flaky sausage roll for me!

Grimeric
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
I always used to take a spare brake and clutch lever (which you should have at home anyway)

I do. That's a good idea. I can imagine the duct tape coming in handy.

It's little tips like these that really help out newbies like myself.

MattJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 30 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a spare clutch and throttle cable too. At my first and only trackday at Donington last year my clutch cable snapped after 5 out of 7 sessions which was a bit shit as I missed out on 40 minutes of track time. It also meant I had to ride the 60 miles home without a clutch which wasn't bad but just a bit annoying as I had to come to a stop twice.

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 01 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ride to your abilities and build up your speed. I was slow on the first two sessions then on the third session I was passing people easily who had passed me in 1 & 2.

Sometimes you'll get the odd dickhead on an S1000RR or something shooting past you on the straight within less than a foot, but most of the time it's great.

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4

UK-Badger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:58 - 01 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my DAS in May and a track day at Cadwell in October - I loved every second of it.

Go in the novice group and do your own thing. You'll get a briefing before going on track and typically follow an organiser in the first few laps.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1