Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Info on Brands indy...?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:53 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Info on Brands indy...? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tips, do's and dont's on brands? I rode it AGES ago in 2009 and have forgotten pretty much everything they told me there.

Aiming to head there in a month so getting bikes sorted beforehand but would like any decent info on it by people that have ridden it Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1.

Going to be my first trackday - any tips to avoid leaving a potato would be great Thumbs Up and more importantly, to avoid leaving with a smashed bike Shifty

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't crash.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:07 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaFarmer wrote:
Don't crash.

Kinda goes without saying Laughing

Erm, I have a backup if I do demolish my bike but would rather not aha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:33 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear an adult diaper? I've been round there in a car, would imagine paddock hill bend (1st corner) would make you take a bite out of your seat on a bike.

Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:37 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start slow and steadily get faster, don't try and smash the lap record from the off.

If you get to a corner and think "Oh dear, I'm going a tad fast, help!" just look through the corner and go for it, you'll get round. Otherwise you'll find yourself off the track where you're more likely to bin it.

Lower your tyre pressures.

Have fun.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually at the start of the day they'll send people round behind an instructor at a relatively slow pace, to get some sighting laps in to learn the corners and braking points.

If you pay particular attention during these laps, when you don't have to worry about other bikes and how fast you're going, then you can pick up on all the info such as camber, braking point markers etc.

Try and catch an instructor to follow you for a few laps and give you tips on where you can improve or reinforce what you're doing right.

Have fun, got some friends who've done Brands in cars and said is one of the best tracks they've been on

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm most worried about other bikes to be honest rather than crashing myself Laughing lack of mirrors, or at least lack of them being any use and people darting either side of me is going to be a bit un-nerving at first I expect Shocked

Hopefully won't get too many kamikaze's out there Neutral

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few of us going on July 23 if anyone fancies.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
I'm most worried about other bikes to be honest rather than crashing myself Laughing lack of mirrors, or at least lack of them being any use and people darting either side of me is going to be a bit un-nerving at first I expect Shocked

Hopefully won't get too many kamikaze's out there Neutral

In the briefings they state that overtaking slower people is fine, but responsibility is 100% on the one behind... usually they'll say no overtaking up the inside of someone once they have started to turn into a corner, or once you're in the braking zone.

Anyone overtaking should be giving you plenty of space, and likewise you should leave plenty of space when you overtake.

You may have people overtaking round the outside, but most people tend not to... because if the bike on the inside tucks the front wheel and lowsides, could take them out too.

A trackday is not a race, there are no points for being quick or overtaking, so people aren't gonna hustle others, and if they do, the marshals will be on them so quickly.

I've been to track days before (not on track, but watching, or helping out with someone who is on track) and have seen people black flagged for bad driving/riding. Usually one warning to tell them what they're doing wrong, and if they don't fix it then they're out and not coming back.

I wouldn't worry.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:13 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiming for the 9th July as its my only valid day off work and works with my birthday/holiday period etc Thumbs Up

Probably going to try the Daytona once I've done a session or 2 on the SV, purely to shake it down properly and make sure everything is a-ok.

Does anyone know if you can run 2 bikes so long as they are sound checked?

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Aiming for the 9th July as its my only valid day off work and works with my birthday/holiday period etc Thumbs Up

Probably going to try the Daytona once I've done a session or 2 on the SV, purely to shake it down properly and make sure everything is a-ok.

Does anyone know if you can run 2 bikes so long as they are sound checked?

Depends on who's running the track day, but I don't see why not. You may have to pay extra, but that's usually if you want multiple riders on the same bike rather than multiple bikes for the same rider.

Call up and find out.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:36 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drop MSV a call on Tuesday, only reason I want two is I have 2 to hand and 1 is far better than the other but if I have another... I won't be such a pussy on one Laughing

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'll drop MSV a call on Tuesday, only reason I want two is I have 2 to hand and 1 is far better than the other but if I have another... I won't be such a pussy on one Laughing

I can't see it being an issue, but then I don't make the rules. Sure they'll confirm for sure. But I know you get professional riders and teams sometimes doing ACU timing days with more than one machine.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:49 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run (those) two bikes at MSV circuits in the past (y) and others fine - as you mention, get the both noise tested. Forget what I did with the session sticker - maybe stuck it onto a clear sheet and stuck that onto the bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:12 - 25 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta for that Thumbs Up Servicing time just after I get back from Download then gonna have to double check everything. Fairing is now solid rather than Mr wobble wobble Laughing

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 25 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning to do my oil this week pre-euro. Do you reckon i'd be alright to leave it for brands [will of only done 1k miles or so] or get some totally new stuff in there just before still?

Precious pennies Shocked

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:40 - 25 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too fussed on such fresh oil. You probably do 100 miles, if that on track.. likely less I'd assume. Only doing mine often because one isn't mine and one is on the road, both actually need to be working before and after the track day Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:44 - 25 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trackday riding is fairly harsh on the bike, but for your first time, likely not THAT harsh - I definitely wouldn't worry about 1000 mile old oil.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:50 - 25 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Trackday riding is fairly harsh on the bike, but for your first time, likely not THAT harsh - I definitely wouldn't worry about 1000 mile old oil.

By harsh, what do you mean exactly? Just the 20 mins of smashing through the box, on and off the throttle then stopping for an hour?

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 25 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Info on Brands indy...? Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Does anyone have any tips, do's and dont's on brands?

You can probably take Paddock Hill much faster than you think, you can brake into Druids much later than you think (it is uphill) ... pick breaking markers and use them.

Clearways is just horrible - no heroics here!

Enjoy!

https://britishgt.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/brands-hatch.gif

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 26 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a circuit that is easy to lose the front on, Paddock hill, Druids, Graham Hill, into Clearways because you always seem to be on the brakes when you are turning in.
2 things I would say would be don't go banging into Paddock Hill with everything dragging on the track because when it drops away you will lose it. Watch Graham Hill for the first 2 or 3 laps if you don't have tyre warmers, only left hander and your tyres only see it once every minute.

OGR

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 29 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

'ave it! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCUpH-ht0_Y

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:14 - 29 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea harsh as in you're maybe on full throttle for 50% of the time you're riding (depending on the track, bike and rider, of course) - a slow rider on a litre bike less riding a twisty track less so - fast rider on a 125cc on a tack with long straights and sharp corners, much more so.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:23 - 29 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booking tomorrow morning, expect carnage.

edit - booked Mr. Green

Expect...

https://cdn.gifbay.com/2012/12/motorcycle_race_fail-19334.gif
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3