Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KMX 125 supermoto wannabe!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 26 May 2014    Post subject: KMX 125 supermoto wannabe! Reply with quote

https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/DSCF0749_zps95ef5915.jpg
https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/DSCF0735_zps2a01689e.jpg
https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/DSCF0733_zpsd5c517cf.jpg
https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/DSCF0737_zpsd776555b.jpg

powder coated kickstart lever.
https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/DSCF0742_zpsb7c343b7.jpg

Just want to change the tyres now, run it in for a few more miles and see if it can spin up a dyno? I think it's too rich at the moment and it's got a 2-3k rpm flatspot, but ripping off the airbox lid might sort that?

Havn't sorted the oil tank mod yet, I need a small in line fuel tap or similar for a 6mm hose.

Last edited by stevo as b4 on 01:25 - 28 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:33 - 26 May 2014    Post subject: Re: KMX 125 now with blue seat. Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Havn't sorted the oil tank mod yet, I need a small in line fuel tap or similar for a 6mm hose.

Looks amazing, would have thought it had just been wheeled out of the showroom.

What's the oil tank mod about?

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 26 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice. Cool

Personally, I'd run it premix. I've ran all of my 2 strokes premix. Including my DTR. Just a nail varnish bottle, empty and mark up 125ML.
Once one bike blows up due to auto lube, you'll never use it again. Laughing Mine killed my bottom and topend though... Mad Rolling Eyes

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 26 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoying rusty expansion chamber lets it down now big time!Thumbs Down

I want to use the oil tank just to hold a litre of 2smoke oil, and fit a tap to the line that would go to the pump, so that I can measure out 125ml of oil into a dosing bottle for simpler fill ups. I just havn't found a tap yet. Ideally I could do with one that has a mounting bracket to bolt it to the frame somewhere.

I'd put a pump back on it, but don't fancy using a secondhand one and don't want to know the price of a new one! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:48 - 27 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Annoying rusty expansion chamber lets it down now big time!Thumbs Down

Mate, you need my glasses. That looks IMMACULATE. Very very nice job Thumbs Up

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:33 - 27 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bike is the very definition of tidy Thumbs Up

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 28 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not brand new? Shocked

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 28 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its new right??

If not where is the Project thread?? Demand many pages and pikchuz!!!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 28 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for massive disappoint and reduction of man points, but It's really a 1986 D-plate bike, and I can't have a project thread, as a bloke who know's his shit built and restored it for a small fortune.

I brought it all shiny and put on a new seat and a couple of stickers, so massive fail for me, but the previous owner should be very chuffed with what they achieved IMO!

I often wonder is it as good a bike as say a new WR125R or Reiju Marathon Pro etc? I think despite clean 4stroke engines with a touch less zap, the suspension componenty and ergonomics has improved a lot with modern trailie 125's!

I was about 8 when my KMX was built, which I find amusing but to an 8year old in the 80's it would have probably been pretty cool I reckon! Laughing

effit
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:52 - 28 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit to you Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 28 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want your bike. It looks great! Thumbs Up

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 28 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have that over any Brand new 125 on the market today!!

Looks awesome Thumbs Up

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:14 - 30 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank is work of art. I never associate those colours with Kawasaki but it works well. Is the 125 tank the same size and shape as the 200?

whitmorereans
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:22 - 30 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally trailes are my least favourite style of bike but this is amazing.
Such a beautiful bike deserves to be kept in a climate controlled chamber away from the elements.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 31 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the White colour scheme was just from 86-87, and then they offered green, Red, and Blue versions for the A/B2-4 models. I remember a lad used to ride past me and my mate on a White one like mine back in 1990-91 when we were walking to school, so they're a bit of extra nostalgia in white for me.

Yes some folk really don't like trail bikes, especially if they have only ever ridden them on the road, as they are almost as compromised as a raked out custom chopper in some ways.

I'd like to take out a new Yamaha WR125 or a trick Rieju Pro 125 trail bike just to see what they are like TBH.

I think however the only new 125 that I'd swap the KMX for would be one of these very trick Fantic 125's Smile
https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/Fantic_zpsd36b2d9e.jpg

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:39 - 31 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I think however the only new 125 that I'd swap the KMX for would be one of these very trick Fantic 125's Smile

Certainly trick, but the KMX looks as good. Ish.
Not considered supermotoing the KMX125? Or are you going to sell it to fund the 200?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 31 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the KMX looks better with std wheel sizes TBH.

But a KMX special with different/longer front forks maybe, would then make a decent enough street supermoto, especially as a 200cc, as it would be able to make use of the extra grip and braking a bit more.

Been through the whole re-build/restore/modify the 200, a million times in my head over the years, but in truth I could never get it to have a good a level of finish and paintwork as this 125 no matter what I did or spent, and I doubt I have the skills to make it look as smart as the 125.

I also wouldn't get much for the 125, a 2year old WR125R would fetch/cost more to buy. The only idea that appeals with the 200 now is to strip and clean it all, replace the worn mechanicals and throw it back together with the scuffed plastics etc, to make a road legal green laner/for getting dirty and muddy.

It'd be a nice contrast to how I have to treat this one, and should cost £££'s not ££££'s that a special, supermoto, or full restoration would.

The other factor is that I'm starting to save up again for my next big road bike and in 2years time I'd like to have a nice Yamaha VMX1200 ready for proper longer distance road trips/touring etc.

martyn107
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:59 - 31 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stripped and resprayed my kmx200, I could only wish it looked anywhere near as good as that though!

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its been derestricted....modern 4T 125's dont just lack a bit of zap...they lack any zap at all! at least the KMX makes a good short haul commuter and weekend off road toy with the ability to hold its own on road! AS for the oil tank mod with a 6mm tube..good luck with that....you'll be waiting 5 mins to drain 125ml of oil. better to convert the tool holder or find a bottle that fits it I'd say

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a point, but i was thinking that with a breather pipe in the tank, the flow rate would be about the same at holding a washing up liquid bottle up side down with the top cut off?

I could always modify the bottom of the tank to take a fitting for a bigger hose, either 8mm or 10mm, so that i can use common push fit connectors/tap etc?

IMO it seems silly for me to retain the tank, and not use it to store oil, and being a 1.2litre tank, it would last many fill ups.

The price for a new oil pump is over £130 and I'd need new cables, injector pipe work, and the 2-1junction box, and id lose the nice light throttle action, so pre-mix is here to stay i think!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 24 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a second hand KMX back in the day, and it had been tinkered with, and was surprisingly quick.

until I deaded the engine after a crash, and someone put another one in, and it was a bit tame after that

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/DSCF0764_zps9ba768cb.jpg

https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/DSCF0765_zpsa4ef1366.jpg

https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/DSCF0767_zpsbc911bdf.jpg

https://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u482/stevo1994/DSCF0768_zps7c78d2a7.jpg

First spin with the road tyres on today. Yes I know they look crap compared to knobblies on a trailie.

But it's smoother, quieter, and rides much better too! The rear tyre is a bit taller in profile than the old one, so it raises the gearing a fraction which won't be a problem soon! Wink

I remember G saying that decent road tyres were enough for knee downs on a DR600 and that it handled well, and these things seem nice and grippy, so no need for a full on supermoto conversion IMO, and the stock brakes are more than ok now with sintered HH pads.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:32 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endearingly skinny front tyre! Glad to hear it's working, as that's what I plan to do with mine. Contis I think?

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 31 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgeous bike, makes me miss mine, though it wasn't anywhere near that good Laughing

shame about the shite brakes though Sad

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 07:32 - 01 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice enough, do they run the sportman class for Supermoto in the UK? I heard that's what the Yanks call supermotos with front tyres bigger than rear ones Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2