Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

250cc more realistic choice for a no talant newbie?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 06 Jun 2014    Post subject: 250cc more realistic choice for a no talant newbie? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of saving for a sportsbike. I was thinking of 600 to 750cc machine. I'm having ssecond thoughts though as I'm basicaly late to the game being 46 and only riding for a couple of years. My thinking is I'm never going to push even a 600 to the limit so how about a sub 33bhp 250cc bike. Would that actually be a better choice on track and road and be more rewarding for someone of my experience?

m3-paul
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion you don't have to push a bike to the limit to enjoy it. I enjoy both my tzr250 and fireblade when I am pooling along or giving them hell.

Just pick a bike you like and try it. I do think that you will find the engine limits of a 250 four stroke quite quickly, a 600 obviously less quickly, than in itself for me would make the bigger bike more rewarding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 06 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

m3-paul wrote:
In my opinion you don't have to push a bike to the limit to enjoy it.

Yes you do, that's the point. Razz

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 06 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon pushing a 600+ bike to the limit on a track would be much more of a giggle than a 250.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 06 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I reckon pushing a 600+ bike to the limit on a track would be much more of a giggle than a 250.

The point being though is I'm not likely to be able to push a 600 to that limit.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not?
I think you'd be surprised what you can do if you went on one or two track days and were shown what to do and how to do it.
I also think its all about riding with people who are more experienced than yourself.
I've been out with people way better than me which is a big factor in my progression.
The confidence and experience I've gained in the last couple of years has been an eye opener for me even though I'm probably way off what the bike can do.
I don't believe age is a factor because we both entered this game at about the same time in our lives but if downsizing is something you feel you have to do to get what you want out of biking, I'm not going to suggest you don't do it.
I think you'd miss the power though, I know I would.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:25 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Re: 250cc more realistic choice for a no talant newbie? Reply with quote

On trackdays for me I find the sweet spot to be around 100hp for fun - I improved more when racing a lower powered bike, but there I had a whole track full of the same model bike with similar (mostly more, until the end of the season) power.

On the road I like 30-80hp or so for fun.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:50 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sub 33 bhp road bike on a track day with a low confidence rider would be dangerous to you and others in my opinion. If you feel the need to get one for the road for the fun factor then do it but I think you will find its limited capabilities very quickly.
Get a 600, get used to it on the road a bit, maybe some training, then go on a track day and again get instruction. You'll be surprised at what you can do.

OGR

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:35 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Re: 250cc more realistic choice for a no talant newbie? Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
I'm thinking of saving for a sportsbike. I was thinking of 600 to 750cc machine.

If age is in your mind, don't forget comfort. Perhaps you saw a recent MCN where the bloke with the long-term Yamaha MT-07 had a go on his dad's VFR750 and found it very uncomfortable after the upright riding position of the MT. He looks to be a similar age to yourself. So maybe a little MT-07, which you could tweak and upgrade a little over time? Cheap, 70-plus bhp, will probably have great aftermarket parts support in due time as a consequence of strong sales.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:09 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

It's about going fast rather than actually being fast.
I don't care what bike I'm on, unless I can push it to the limit. Revs sky high, shifting gears like crazy up and down, braking hard and so on.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:22 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I don't care what bike I'm on, unless I can push it to the limit. Revs sky high, shifting gears like crazy up and down, braking hard and so on.

One of the problems with smaller bikes on bigger tracks is you're sitting with wide open thottle a lot of the time - entirely missing out braking and getting back on the power for more corners.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, some interesting thoughts. I think I will have to go to a track and do a days training and see how it feels.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practically none of the riders on this forum will be able to extract all of the potential of even a 600 on the road; only a few more will be able to on track. Get a softer, friendlier 600 like a CBR and you'll be fine, ideal learning tool.

Besides, you've got nothing to worry about:

46=Rossi's number
You are 46
Therefore you are Rossi.

You'll be fine.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I'm Scott Reading, for a few months anyway.

clancy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want a 600/750 for track use, but as far as road riding goes my 400 was waaaaay more fun than my 600 is. Purely because you can push it to the limits and not lose your liscence too easily

My rvf handled amazingly and 70 bhp odd is plenty for most roads

I'd imagine a 250 could be irritating on the track

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 08 Jun 2014    Post subject: Re: 250cc more realistic choice for a no talant newbie? Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
..... So maybe a little MT-07, which you could tweak and upgrade a little over time? Cheap, 70-plus bhp, will probably have great aftermarket parts support in due time as a consequence of strong sales.

The new MT's are interesting but I'm not looking to buy something new. I also think Yamaha are probably going to do more with the engines for the MT-07 and MT-09, maybe some sportsbikes.

One of the reasons a smaller capacity bike interested me was that over the last few months on my WR 125 I really enjoyed ragging it and getting the best out of the meagre power.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 08 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

One of the problems with smaller bikes on bigger tracks is you're sitting with wide open thottle a lot of the time - entirely missing out braking and getting back on the power for more corners.

I was talking about public roads, but I get what you say. There's only one major negativity about bigger bikes though. It can go from boring to scary quite fast which could be dangerous.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 08 Jun 2014    Post subject: Re: 250cc more realistic choice for a no talant newbie? Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:

One of the reasons a smaller capacity bike interested me was that over the last few months on my WR 125 I really enjoyed ragging it and getting the best out of the meagre power.

And that's why we ride, at least why I do it. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1