Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki ZZR600 Project (pic heavy)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 06 Jun 2014    Post subject: Kawasaki ZZR600 Project (pic heavy) Reply with quote

So i've been bike less for almost a year and have been itching to get another one. I saw a zzr600 for sale on ebay and bought it without having seen it. The seller described it as needing a full restoration. I had it delivered today and it seems to be in OK shape mechanically, but the cosmetics are horrible. I still need to get a battery to start, but i should have that Sunday.
It was used by the seller as a doner bike for his zzr. I think he only took the front fairing and reg/rec though.

The plan originally was to do a quick rebuild and use it for my test. Stupidly i didn't realize that it's not eligible for restriction under the new laws Mad the plan now is probably to restore it cheap as possible and sell it. Either that or restrict it to 25kw and hope nobody notices, but i don't really want to ride around on something i cant legally ride and it would mean doing my test with a school.

here are some pics.

https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_0002.jpg

The paint on the frame and the bodywork is pretty poorly done. Who ever painted the frame covered most of the wiring at the same time. It's also coming off in areas.
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_0005.jpg

https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_0006.jpg

The paint on the tank is pretty bad too. It must have been red at some point as i can see it underneath Rolling Eyes
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_0011.jpg

most of the fairings seem to be there. I need to get a new screen though and the piece of trim to join the fairings.
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_0019.jpg
Front fairing is pretty bad. At some point someone has done half a job of repairing it and given up. I think it's actually off another bike, but i cant remember what the seller said about it. If i was definitely keeping the bike i would replace it, but until i can decide I'll have a go at repairing it. Any suggestions on how to go about repairing it?
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_0020.jpg

Who ever painted this thing really didn't give a shit. It's coming off everywhere and covers some of the right side indicator.
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_0025.jpg

Wheels seem to have been painted more than once as well. At least the tires have decent tread.
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_0022.jpg

Not pictured is a scottoiler which was on the bike. It also has a custom numberplate which I'll sell if its worth anything.
I'm waiting until Sunday to get a battery so i can see if it runs, then i'l strip it down and start painting. It's worse than i expected, but i sort of expected that Laughing Apart from painting there doesnt seem to be anything else wrong with it.

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:56 - 06 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother restoring it mate, just sell it on for spares. It's a D model so only had a 3 year production run and will cost a fortune to sort out.

Just buy an E model ZZR and ride it without restriction, it's what I did Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't do anything with that. You'll never get your time and expense back. Sell it to someone who wants the basis for a rat bike.

What did it cost you?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
i wouldn't do anything with that. You'll never get your time and expense back. Sell it to someone who wants the basis for a rat bike.

What did it cost you?

£300, which is too much now i've seen it. Guess its taught me not to buy a bike without looking first Rolling Eyes
I have been thinking about selling it as it is and it's probably the better idea, i just doubt il make the money i paid for it back. My time is pretty worthless though, i have nothing else to do for the next 4 months Laughing

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

£300 is probably about what it's worth. Auction it with no reserve and you should get something like that back I'd expect.

No idea why anyone would 'restore' something so far gone when it's not worth much in standard condition anyway.

You're better off getting £1000-1500 together and using that to buy a tidy 10-15 year old bike that shouldn't cost you much and will hold it's value.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:44 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I wouldnt have minded spending a bit of money and time on it if i could actually use it once its done Laughing
Tomorrow il make a list of what needs to be done and whats missing. If its too much i'l put it up on ebay and see how much i get for it.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:27 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least the chain is in better condition than mine
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend a weekend breaking it down into its constituent parts and you'll triple your money selling the bits on eBay.

Does it have an mot? If it does, and you genuinely think the plate might have some value, get it put on retention now. You can't take a number plate off a vehicle without an mot so if it doesn't have one you're buggered there.

It's what I'd do.

Edit: in that pic it almost looks like the reg number starts with F1 then no other numbers, just three letters underneath. If it does it'll be worth over a grand, guaranteed. I can't quite make it out.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the reg is H6PMC. do you think it would be worth much? the bike doesn't have an mot, but i doubt if it would take much to get it to pass.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 07 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/free_valuation_1.htm Cool

I reckon that if you stuck it on ebay at £495 you'd prob get shot of it eventually...

Single Letter Single number and something that could conceivably be someones initials....

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 08 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/free_valuation_1.htm Cool

I reckon that if you stuck it on ebay at £495 you'd prob get shot of it eventually...

Single Letter Single number and something that could conceivably be someones initials....

Thanks, do you know how accurate the valuations on that website is? Its giving me a valuation of £1500, but that seems high to me. I have filled out other valuations on other websites, but most of them dont seem to be instant.

Also as an update to the project, i've decided to restore it as after looking at it properly today i dont think it will cost much more at all. At least then i can transfer the registration from the bike if its worth much and as long as there isnt any hidden problems it shouldnt cost much more and will sell for about what i've put into it.

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 08 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got loads of bits for this model ZZR if you want em cheap...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:25 - 08 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If OP decides to break the bike, or Mr Dunkable has a set, i could do with some cheap front brake pads for a 600D

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dunkable wrote:

Thanks, what parts do you have? I think all i need is the trim to go between the top and bottom fairings and a screen.

sgtcalel i'l let you know if i decide to break it.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Thanks, the reg is H6PMC. do you think it would be worth much? the bike doesn't have an mot, but i doubt if it would take much to get it to pass.

Unfortunately not. It probably has value to someone with the initials PMC, or the director of a company with those initials. I can't think of any in the UK though.

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 10 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Mr Dunkable wrote:

Thanks, what parts do you have? I think all i need is the trim to go between the top and bottom fairings and a screen.

sgtcalel i'l let you know if i decide to break it.

This bit?

https://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/duncdmc/10433548_10203074247330833_945777367_o_zps631d5dfb.jpg
https://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/duncdmc/10435344_10203074246010800_1459731035_o_zps87d0719b.jpg

I've got tonnes of bits and pieces. Swingarm, centre stand. did have a tank but it's rusted through now. 2 forks, coils, clocks... can't remember what else i have in the box. Couple of fairing infills there too (the bit the fusebox goes under) and a mudguard too if you need em. Should have a set of mirrors off it too... somewhere...

https://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/duncdmc/10457308_10203074254851021_886178106_o_zpsa90b56f0.jpg

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dunkable wrote:

This bit?

Thanks, thats it. Il send you a pm Thumbs Up

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update. I tried to start the bike today finally, but it doesnt start Crying or Very sad The starter motor spins so i'm not sure whats wrong. I'll try charging the battery again tomorrow to make sure that its got enough power for the ignition and then go from there.
Also does anyone know what these two wires by the battery are supposed to be connected too? I thought they went together but it started smoking when i tried Laughing I think one of the wires comes out from the starter relay.
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_00302.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 06:58 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put no work into it, you might scrape your money back. I'd stop here. "Turns over but doesn't fire" makes people like me want to place bids as it could be something simple and shows its not been run in its unknown state.

I'd just be looking for something as said above, £1000-1500 usable bike.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Bit of an update. I tried to start the bike today finally, but it doesnt start Crying or Very sad The starter motor spins so i'm not sure whats wrong. I'll try charging the battery again tomorrow to make sure that its got enough power for the ignition and then go from there.
Also does anyone know what these two wires by the battery are supposed to be connected too? I thought they went together but it started smoking when i tried Laughing I think one of the wires comes out from the starter relay.
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/IMG_00302.jpg

I think that black and yellow wire, circled to the left of the picture should be your earth, should be connected to the -ve terminal of the battery.

If you want an electronic copy of the Haynes manual, send me a PM of your email and I'll send you the link to my dropbox.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The workshop manual wiring diagram does show it going to the battery negative terminal.

All the best

Keith

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 20 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have a workshop manual pdf. The one wire definitely goes to the negative terminal.

If the bike costs any more money I'll just put it up for sale. To be honest i should have just sold it as soon as it arrived.

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 20 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, if the 2nd gear is good, i'd be keeping it as a hack. alright for the money. only reason i got rid of mine was because i blew up 2nd gear. spectacularly.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 25 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dunkable wrote:
To be honest, if the 2nd gear is good, i'd be keeping it as a hack. alright for the money. only reason i got rid of mine was because i blew up 2nd gear. spectacularly.

It would make the perfect hack bike. The more work i do on it the more i want to keep it.
Removed the starter yesterday and i'ts working fine from what i can tell so the problem is definetely something else. I'l try turning it over by hand tommorow and see what happens.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out there is no spark from the plugs. Should have checked there first really, but i didnt have a tool to remove them. There is a fuse in the box thats blown, but has wire wrapped around the pegs to bypass it so hopefully thats whats causing the problem.
Previous owner said there was something wrong with the starter, but after having that out i dont think there is anything wrong with it. Also turned the engine over by hand and it seems fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2