Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bob Price's TT crash. Mildly graphic.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bonneville63
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:42 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Bob Price's TT crash. Mildly graphic. Reply with quote

Doing what he loved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aQFUdONv0

edit:

Another angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94hJ3j9sqDI

Looks as though he wrongly approached the jump.

Last edited by Bonneville63 on 20:02 - 12 Jun 2014; edited 1 time in total

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sobering Sad

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's weird is that not only was he way out of shape coming out of the corner, he didn't seem to be reacting at all to what's happening. When he's in the air, granted there is very little time to react, but you'd have thought he'd release the throttle. When the bike lands, nose first, you'd have thought he'd be on the brakes, but looking at it, the bike shows no real signs of slowing (wasn't their a old video of an F1 racer in a lister storm or something, whilst flipping upside down through the air with the brake lights on). Given the total lack of any form of reaction, I'd wager he had a seizure or something.

Can't say I follow the road racing scene, so not really sure who he is, but sad to hear of anyone going. Looked pretty instant though, so not much pain.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be one of the Think! ads. Shocked

Bonneville63
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:09 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
What's weird is that not only was he way out of shape coming out of the corner, he didn't seem to be reacting at all to what's happening. When he's in the air, granted there is very little time to react, but you'd have thought he'd release the throttle. When the bike lands, nose first, you'd have thought he'd be on the brakes, but looking at it, the bike shows no real signs of slowing (wasn't their a old video of an F1 racer in a lister storm or something, whilst flipping upside down through the air with the brake lights on). Given the total lack of any form of reaction, I'd wager he had a seizure or something.

Can't say I follow the road racing scene, so not really sure who he is, but sad to hear of anyone going. Looked pretty instant though, so not much pain.

How can you tell? All it looks like to me is he's come over the hill too fast, got some air, slammed on the brakes and stoppied into the wall? There was absolutely nothing he could have done.

Boris the spider
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:42 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonneville63 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

How can you tell? All it looks like to me is he's come over the hill too fast, got some air, slammed on the brakes and stoppied into the wall? There was absolutely nothing he could have done.

What he said.

And. Holy Shit.... Shocked

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, estimates for how fast he was going when he impacted the wall. In MPH please, none of that continental muck.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say about 80.
He could have cooked the brakes or had a slapper on the way into that corner and gone into it with no brakes.

Bonneville63
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:00 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94hJ3j9sqDI

Looks like he took completely the wrong approach.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon he got the corners mixed up in his memory.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonneville63 wrote:

Looks like he came into it too quickly to turn sharply enough to be upright for the drop in the road. I wonder if he had just overtaken the guy who was following him, and had too much juice after making sure of the overtake. Or if he was pushing himself feeling the heat behind him.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what, one particular user on those videos going by the name of steve t needs to lose his right to anonymity online. He has made some pretty disgraceful comments on both videos, On top of that i also looked through his history and seen he is constantly at it.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he got the corner confused to me. Way too fast on the way in. Sad

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The run into Ballaugh Bridge would be a strange part of the course to forget for a seasoned TT racer. He'd made it through the fast right hander and onto the shortish straight before the bridge. Soon as you exit Alpine corner you're on the brakes.

Either a mechanical failure or possibly out braked himself, even an extra 20mph over that bridge no matter what angle you're pointing at would send you into a kerb/building.

RIP
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonneville63 wrote:

Sounds like the throttle was pinned even on landing and when the bike does land, it doesn't stoppie, it just keeps on going into the wall. I only freeze framed through it once, so could easily have got it wrong. Shame all the same though.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT wrote:
The run into Ballaugh Bridge would be a strange part of the course to forget for a seasoned TT racer. He'd made it through the fast right hander and onto the shortish straight before the bridge. Soon as you exit Alpine corner you're on the brakes.

Either a mechanical failure or possibly out braked himself, even an extra 20mph over that bridge no matter what angle you're pointing at would send you into a kerb/building.

RIP

I agreed the approach to Ballaugh is very distinctive, but he seemed to be carrying so much more speed than he would even if he had out braked himself. Of course we can't rule out a mechanical. The bike was banging off the limiter before it cut out.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

[conjecture]
It's not a mega hard braking zone and you would've already scrubbed off a little speed through Alpine corner which is a right bend. Run too hot into Alpine shouldn't put you onto the righthand side of the track, so that leaves the braking zone. Maybe a prior headshake knocked the pads back leaving him little time to brake and drop 4 or 5 gears from approx 140mph. Even hitting a false neutral would take precious milliseconds to compute, again all total conjecture but maybe led to target fixation.

The recent death in the NW200 is another accident I don't understand.

Road racing is a bittersweet sport like no other I know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT wrote:
[conjecture]
It's not a mega hard braking zone and you would've already scrubbed off a little speed through Alpine corner which is a right bend. Run too hot into Alpine shouldn't put you onto the righthand side of the track, so that leaves the braking zone. Maybe a prior headshake knocked the pads back leaving him little time to brake and drop 4 or 5 gears from approx 140mph. Even hitting a false neutral would take precious milliseconds to compute, again all total conjecture but maybe led to target fixation.

The recent death in the NW200 is another accident I don't understand.

Road racing is a bittersweet sport like no other I know.

Too many variables with road racing to come up with a logical explanation? Another freak accident that probably won't be repeated for years. Never heard of another bike impacting there in recent times.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still a possibility of mechanical failure to. Jammed throttle no brakes....

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
There's still a possibility of mechanical failure to. Jammed throttle no brakes....

Rolling stoppie indicates he still had brakes, but I agree regarding the throttle.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all happened so quickly. He had no chance of stopping, he was over the tank due to his braking. Made my eyes water watching that. Horrible.

That Steve guy on Youtube deserves to be unmasked. Lowest form of life.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Never heard of another bike impacting there in recent times.

Yet they put some kind of padding in the exact spot that he hits. That tells me it's a known danger area.

m3-paul
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:27 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the second vid of the first post you can hear the crowds reaction to the engine note just before the bike comes in to frame. Compared to the other bikes that had just come through it sounded so much faster.

Obviously a completely different wide line and there was no way out of it Crying or Very sad

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

RIP

Wasn't expecting it so soon into the first video, thought there'd be several seconds at least before.

In the second the marshall was out on track waving the yellow instantly, before he'd even hit the wall, must have known that he was gonna be crashing. Certainly the noise of the spectators indicated they knew something was amiss as he approached the bridge.

Without additional footage it'd be hard to make a reasonable assessment of what caused him to crash. The coroner will have to determine that, no doubt with more witness statements and possibly more footage than we've seen.

He was still revving the bike in the air though.

The following is speculation of a very high degree... and probably didn't happen.

An acute myocardial infarction (heart attack) can occur a fairly significant time before symptoms present.
Physical/emotional/mental stress causing raised heart rate and blood pressure (such as lining up waiting for the TT start) can cause cholesterol/arterial plaque/atheroma to break free from the arterial walls, and can block the arteries. Embolism (blockage) in the coronary artery prevents oxygenated blood getting to the cardiac muscle, and this is the heart attack. This could be shortly after the trigger, or it could be later, hours sometimes. Heart attacks don't happen instantly, they usually take some time to develop.
The pain and sudden onset can cause distraction and confusion of simple tasks. BEA Flight 538 (Staines air disaster) was caused by a pilot who suffered a heart attack during/very shortly after take-off, and as a result of the heart attack pulled the wrong lever and the plane stalled, and crashed.
Certainly if he did suffer a heart attack, that could cause him to get his line wrong, or mistake his location on the circuit. And continue to keep the throttle pinned in mid-air whilst pointing at a wall.

Like I say, it probably wasn't the case. Just a possibility I thought I'd propose. If it did occur, there would be signs during the autopsy.

Despite there being some padding on the wall, it didn't look at all like a significant amount. Hopefully they will identify that corner (and other similar ones, particularly where there is a high chance of being airborne just before, cos you can't change your line in mid-air) as "high consequence", not necessarily high risk for crashing, but high consequences of crashing, and increase the padding.
Maybe, just maybe, more padding could be the difference between life and death in a future crash.

Last edited by Llama-Farmer on 03:07 - 13 Jun 2014; edited 1 time in total

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:07 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also thought that perhaps they could identify helicopter landing areas and prep them. IE cutting the grass.

I know that 90% of the time its gonna be in farmers fields... but that one in the video didn't look to have useful crops in... could have mowed a section for the helo to touch down.
Serious risk of FOD ingestion when they're unable to prep the landing area, don't want the air ambulance to suffer engine failure and have to make a forced landing in that same field, unable to get out again.

Thought they did well to be on scene in less than 5 minutes of the accident.

I don't know how many air ambulances are available, or where they are located during the race, but I can't imagine it is easy covering the whole course. Also don't know the details of their "exclusivity" as far as the TT goes, because there is the whole island to cover as well for non-racing. Perhaps they have a couple on standby with one able to be called out for other calls. Would be interested if anyone knows the ops on that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2