BCF: Bike Chat Forums

250 Wet Dream

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: 250 Wet Dream Reply with quote

This came up 0.5 mile from where I work. It'd been into the local rip off garage, charged 12 hours (reduced to 5), to tell him new CDI. Bought brand new CDI and brand new coil, but it didn't run. Listed as such on the ad, spent about £600 and gave up. I went over with a spare battery, and it fired up almost first go. Lumpy, as the carbs were gummed up. But it ran. Picked it up in a 4x4 and brought it home. £200 lighter. Still taxed until the end of the month, MOT expired. Needs a new rear tyre (cracked) and some bulbs for MOT. Everything else is tip-top, apart from some surface rust on the mudguard and rotten under the seat (the seat itself, not frame) it's near perfect. 7,900 miles on the clock and the condition suggests it's genuine. These are a love/hate bike, but a classic in this condition ('82 vintage) and at this price, awesome. Plan is, clean it up and get it running right. Then use it.
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CB250N/10447530_10152476876576944_276492949820028866_n_zps50787cb8.jpg~original
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CB250N/LiftHome_zpsd64bdc39.jpg~original

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m in the luv `em camp Thumbs Up

Mine
https://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/pepperami_photos/IMG_1685_zps9f9a26db.jpg

I`v got a newish? set of forks, wheels, yokes, handlebars ready to go on mine all with new seals & bearings.
I need a little bit of work done on the engine (rebore and pistons &rings) but I`ve run out of money at the moment.

Hoping to have it all sorted before the end of the summer.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the bikes but hate the "mag" wheels, would have been much nicer if they had kept with the spokes, but it was the 80s after all Very Happy

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had the power to find such bargain bikes. I can't remember if you've said before but where was this advertised?

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

monteme0 wrote:
I wish I had the power to find such bargain bikes. I can't remember if you've said before but where was this advertised?
eBay, in actual fact it popped up on my 'daily' home screen of things you may be interested in.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
So many bikes Laughing
Marm has my NTV, picked that up last night, so the number is the same.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a bit too! It's a bit of 80's Honda mini Eurostyle lets pretend CB900F, which IMO is a good dream to have! Smile

Oh and who on here found that nice old CB1100F in an old lady's shed type situation, and what became of it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 quid ?..........jammy bugger !.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I like it a bit too! It's a bit of 80's Honda mini Eurostyle lets pretend CB900F, which IMO is a good dream to have! Smile

Oh and who on here found that nice old CB1100F in an old lady's shed type situation, and what became of it?

I remember that, wasn't he given it in return for gardening/clearing a barn and planned to restore it, despite having almost no mechanical knowledge?

That looks in exceptional nick for the money OP (colour doesn't look standard though) I would be tempted to get an MOT and flip it immediately, should turn a tidy profit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
That looks in exceptional nick for the money OP (colour doesn't look standard though) I would be tempted to get an MOT and flip it immediately, should turn a tidy profit.
As usual, bang on. Did a check, and only flag was has had a colour change. No idea what it was though.

Quite like it though. I can use it for a while and when fed up, just sell on easily.

djrikki
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:26 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that!

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, Marmalade was over last night so we inspected the carbs. Nice colour.
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CB250N/AB5FECA8-366C-4F05-9156-F4C2C1CAC83A_zpsbun1duhl.jpg~original
Cleaned them up, some of the jet screws look as though they'd been mullered a bit. Cleaned it all out and it runs beautifully, but it's bogging after 4K, when hammering down through the gears after building speed it will actually use the upper end of the rev range. Taking the carbs to bits fully and ultrasonic clean them. See if that helps. Brakes work, well as good as I imagine them too. Just need to find a rear tyre, then into MOT.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice price, and always kinda liked their looks. But I think your plan falls apart where you say "then use it" Laughing IMO of course Wink

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nice price, and always kinda liked their looks. But I think it falls apart when you use it. Laughing IMO of course Wink
FTFY

We'll see what happens.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

wotsthestory wrote:
As usual, bang on. Did a check, and only flag was has had a colour change. No idea what it was though.

There should be a VIN plate somewhere on the frame (can I see it just below the reflector on the downtube?) with a paint code on it, which would be easy enough to translate, I've a got list of paint codes somewhere.

The popular colour for a repaint was Candy Bourgogne Red, which faded like mad and didn't like petrol, they tended to go silver on the top of the tank, where the petrol vapour took the pigment out of the lacquer and revealed the base coat underneath (Tanzanite Blue did that as well).

Pay careful attention to those carbs, I think I had mine apart and ultrasonic cleaned two or three times, before I got it running right and not puking fuel out of the overflows.

I particularly advise paying a little bit more and using genuine rebuild kits, not pattern stuff, which isn't much cheaper and uses wildly inferior materials, especially the float bowl seals.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I particularly advise paying a little bit more and using genuine rebuild kits, not pattern stuff, which isn't much cheaper and uses wildly inferior materials, especially the float bowl seals.
Any links to this sort of stuff? I don't want to pay a lot, but I don't want to buy stuff twice. It was really cheap and I'm not wanting to spend too much on it. Also, when I took the top off the carbs, the spring for the needle plunger felt really weak.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lot are the usual go to for Honda spares

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

When I took mine apart, it was obvious they had never been touched and I could've reused the original seals, but decided to go for some cheap rebuild kits instead; when I had to take them to bits again a couple of days later, the new seals were so swollen, they were almost unusable.

I don't remember the springs being especially strong on mine, but I don't think it's a part that's known for wearing out.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:12 - 14 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more interested in jets. I can't seem to find somewhere (in the UK) that just sells jets.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 14 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it in for MOT, which it failed, but I knew it would. BUT it failed on the two things I had predicted, rear tyre cracked and side lights fail. Which it turns out looks like the ignition switch as they work in the 'park' position but not when ignition on. Ignition doesn't always cut the engine when turned off (though ignition goes off), so I'll whip it out and try and clean it, replacement is about £15. As soon as tyre is here it'll be back to have that done and a test pass! Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:25 - 14 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

wotsthestory wrote:
I was more interested in jets. I can't seem to find somewhere (in the UK) that just sells jets.

David silvers do. You need to either order them by part number or phone up and ask.

Wemoto also do main jets seperately.

Make sure the air filter is in good nick and that the aibox is properly attached without leaks. They run like a bag of shite if not. Those oddball CV carbs are very sensitive to pressure drops across the carb.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 14 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Thumbs Up

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 14 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air filter was incorrectly fitted (from what I can tell), it tucks all the way in allowing the intake to go down at the back of the air box. This wasn't happening. I've now changed this. I can get to rev past 4K when you've got it to about 7K, you can ride along almost up to the redline. Slipping the clutch in out to maintain the revs Laughing

I'll have another look tomorrow, it is progressively running better, however getting stuck in the middle of a carnival on the way back was fun. Police everywhere and I'm on a bike with no MOT and I had an Advisory marked as Dangerous on the fail sheet because of the cracked tyre. You've gotta laugh.

EDIT: Did a mileage check against old MOT's, appears genuine, it has had a couple of lay ups. Also, for about the last 4 years there has been an advisory for the rear tyre! It's totally knackered now though.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 17 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a spare set of carbs off eBay, they've arrived. I was planning on making the best from both. But think I'll use the new ones as they are?
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CB250N/D5942227-9AD2-4A6E-AFD5-B907FA2B585D_zpsbxjgkcwo.jpg~original

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:13 - 17 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my toilet... what on earth Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2