Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Paid for this last night...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot wait for those KTM RC390s being available second hand. I suppose I'll have to wait a few more years.

Nothing wrong with 250-400cc bikes.. some are just better than the others Wink

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

BCF recently seems a bit to IL4 or nothing for my liking. I've had IL4's liked and enjoyed them too, but I'm all for something different.

It is just a common personal preference, speaking of performance/economy. Thumbs Up

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not my cup of tea but your clearly happy so..... enjoy it OP Thumbs Up , and enjoy some decent mpg's i imagine.

Also smile in the fact that people whom know nothing about bikes, will still recognise the iconic kwak green, and the word "ninja" and assume its as fast as a Zx10-R Wink . At least maybe until they hear it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonCommuter wrote:
Boxing wrote:
Which test you done? Your A license or A2? If A2 I don't see the problem...

A

Oh, I see why they're all saying it then.

Well, if you've just come from a 125CC and gotten a first upgrade. I'd say it's sensible especially if you aren't the most confident rider.

Although some may disagree, I think jumping on a litre bike with little experience is a death wish. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:08 - 18 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on, I just noticed the word "paid".. you PAID for that.

:trollface:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:08 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is curious how much bikes have 'advanced' in the last thirty off years, without actually making much 'progress'.
Not knocking the Ninja, makes a lot of sense as practical, sporty every day commuter to my mind; looked at a CBR250 for Snowie for similar reasons when she was looking at a different job a while back; but still. Harking back to the days when bikes were still most often a cheap way to work, more than a fashion statement; this would have been my idea of a 'sporting commuter'.
https://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/moto-morini-350-sport.jpg A Moto-Morini 3 1/2.
That one I think is a 1979 model, and I think 'retro'd'; have a feeling it ought to have left the factory with cast wheels and disc front brake, but still. Derigeur styling cue's of the era; knee grip tank, low bars and rear-sets. The air-cooled, push-rod V-Twin made about 35bhp, and it was a remarkeably spritely little bike. Recall one regularly beating a 350LC 'point to point' round the lanes of Warwickshire in my youth, despite considerable paper-power deficit, its owner grinning and raving about 'usable' power vs 'peaky' power, and 'Italian handling'. He was a bit of a nutter, though.

So modern Ninja? Similar capacity bike, to do similar job; thirty years on, and it has smart aerodynamic fairings, water cooling, overhead cams, multi-valves, fuel injection, and and ... err.... radial tyres! Suppose that last one is probably the biggest difference!

It's quite bizarre how since the 125 learner-laws, the 'commuter' has been compressed into the super-lightweight category, and 'encouraged' to leap straight to the big-league of big bore twins and multi's; the light middle-weight class, that used to be the main-stay of the every-day rider, becoming virtually extinct.

YET, when they do make a very sensible bike for the class... it tends to chuck out the sort of performance that was only just 'on the par' back when the class was alive... and take so much technology to achieve even that! What have 'emmission controls' brought us to Sad

ONLY to get slated for the thing being 'Boring', by folk who probably have even ridden a light-middleweight, of any sort, and who's opinion is based almost solely on expectation from preconceptions of paper-specs, and aspirations coloured by thinking that if it got two wheels, it's a toy, not transport.

We don't get this attitude in the car world! "OH! You bought a Fiat 500 Arbeth! - Why did you do that! What a 'joke' it has a spoiler and comes from Italy, but its not a Ferrari!" Nope. its not. Its a cheap way to work.

Congrats on your purchase LondonCommuter... and daring to be different, walking on the wild side of doing what YOU want, rather than what you are told to do! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:40 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Bike OP.
I almost went for the 300 version before I bought my ER6F.
I just wanted something with a little more puff as I will be
regularly riding two up and also my wife has a big bum so needs
a bigger seat.
Its brill when you get your first proper motorcycle however
big the engine or many cylinders it has.
It's all about getting out there on something, anything
with two wheels and an engine and enjoying yourself.
Congrats on the bike. Enjoy the lovely weather.

djrikki
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:45 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of fun on my 125 so you'll have loads too Thumbs Up

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all.. I do take on board opinions but it's important for me to apply common sense based on my situation. Hence this bike.

Anyway I intend to make the most of it for the rest of the summer.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonCommuter wrote:
Cheers all.. I do take on board opinions but it's important for me to apply common sense based on my situation. Hence this bike.

Anyway I intend to make the most of it for the rest of the summer.

Thumbs Up

Ah balls to the naysayers. Enjoy it. At least you can rev the nuts off without going too far over the limit. Wring it's neck and get the most out of it, gradually, then upgrade.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja 250 you say?

NO

This is a ninja 250!

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/199525_4491350711_6720_n.jpg

To be fair, those Ninja 250/300's aren't bad bikes. Just stick on some decent tyres on them and they'll be fine for London during the week, and scratching around the home counties during the weekend!

Enjoy the summer Thumbs Up

I just wish I had my old ZXR250C to hoon about with. 18,500 Rpm redline with the howl of an Inline 4! Barely 40bhp, but it was fun through the corners and was a PROPER sportsbike!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

It is just a common personal preference, speaking of performance/economy. Thumbs Up

But would you buy anything other than a 4stroke IL4 bike?

Maybe 15years into riding road bikes on and off, I've just got bored of the same typical choices and kinds of bike that appealed then don't really now.

I'm out of touch with modern bikes as well, and don't really get excited by them. example:

I'm not sure if I'd find a 2014 GSXR600 any better/faster/easier to ride or feel comfortable on than I would a 2000 SRAD600?

Not on the road anyway, and I probably don't go quick enough or have enough experience to say that one is a night and day better/much more able bike than the other?

I've got nothing against sportsbikes, or IL4's but I do find a generic 600cc or 1000cc hard to get excited over, anymore than a 10year old+ version?

I'm not ruling out another IL4 bike at all, but if I go for 4cylinders again, I want 300cc per pot I reckon for a character change from small buzzy stamp down through the gears and let it scream style bikes.

Hokum
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:36 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

It's quite bizarre how since the 125 learner-laws, the 'commuter' has been compressed into the super-lightweight category, and 'encouraged' to leap straight to the big-league of big bore twins and multi's; the light middle-weight class, that used to be the main-stay of the every-day rider, becoming virtually extinct.

Congrats on your purchase LondonCommuter... and daring to be different, walking on the wild side of doing what YOU want, rather than what you are told to do! Wink

I agree completely, I didn't want to pay through the nose for my A mod2 (took my mod one before the changes).

A1 should be changed to allow for light and commuter class bikes and encourage cheap, economical, low congestion transport.

They could make the A1 25hp, 250cc max rather than sending out new riders on the motorways on bikes incapable of making progress at motorway speeds. 250's are capable machines and many are very fuel efficient to boot. It would also feel like an upgrade over just having a cbt. My 2p

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

But would you buy anything other than a 4stroke IL4 bike?

Maybe 15years into riding road bikes on and off, I've just got bored of the same typical choices and kinds of bike that appealed then don't really now.

I'm out of touch with modern bikes as well, and don't really get excited by them. example:

I'm not sure if I'd find a 2014 GSXR600 any better/faster/easier to ride or feel comfortable on than I would a 2000 SRAD600?

Not on the road anyway, and I probably don't go quick enough or have enough experience to say that one is a night and day better/much more able bike than the other?

I've got nothing against sportsbikes, or IL4's but I do find a generic 600cc or 1000cc hard to get excited over, anymore than a 10year old+ version?

I'm not ruling out another IL4 bike at all, but if I go for 4cylinders again, I want 300cc per pot I reckon for a character change from small buzzy stamp down through the gears and let it scream style bikes.

I've owned 3 in-line fours so far and each bike was very different than the other. I would like to try 748 or any big single cylinder in a sports frame. Also, I'd like to try a three cylinder and Z1300 with IL6, and NS400R with V3 and so on. I just like extraordinary and rare things, I would never get something boring and common, as XJ600 or Bandit 600 for example. I do not need bike for commuting, I want a motorcycle for fun and those 3 bikes I've owned were fun. I also have a list of motorcycles I'd like to have and there is not a single boring bike. Smile

I would get something ordinary, but only as my second motorcycle. If I got the NS400R for example, I'd also get a used cheap cbr 125, just to have a second bike that'd reliable with reasonable mpg and spare parts prices. Thumbs Up

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used a freinds one for a while post test. 99% city riding. Really enjoyed it.

Wish there were more bikes in the UK to fill the gap from 125cc to 600cc.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 19 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sable wrote:

Wish there were more bikes in the UK to fill the gap from 125cc to 600cc.

400cc Thumbs Up

mart61
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:22 - 25 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks just fine to me. Enjoy!

Very Happy

Dark Angel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:40 - 30 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, You have a nice bike there, totally ignore the negative comments you will see how much fun you will be having when you ride it and you will love it.

I have one and I adore it, its a head turner for sure and plenty fast enough especially while your out there on it to gain experience, again like myself. Its not too much to handle and certainly no 125cc. "miles away from scooterish too".
I done my time on a 125cc during learning to ride to get me through my test and since having the ninja I've progressed loads... probably because I've had more fun and been given more freedom on it and more respect on the road.

No word of a lie but mine gets mistaken loads of times for being a 600. Even when I took it for mot in Feb the guy said I'd gave him the wrong mot cert, 'no' I said 'that's the one that was with it', pooing my pants wondered what was wrong, he said 'this is for a 250, the bike is a 600'. Wasn't until he took a proper look at the bike he was amazed.
I've only ever had positive comments about my ninja.

Honestly mate, get some miles done on your ninja and have fun. Its a great bike and your doing the right thing! Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:10 - 30 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Angel wrote:
No word of a lie but mine gets mistaken loads of times for being a 600.

Laughing So did my Varadero, means nothing, still an underpowered lump in a dress

Dark Angel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:29 - 30 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing So did my Varadero, means nothing, still an underpowered lump in a dress[/quote]

Not saying it makes it go faster lmao, but sure looks good & feels good. Certainly does the job and does it well.

Only those who have ridden one would know I guess!!

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:00 - 30 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be test riding one of new 300's when I do my DAS next year. I'm not one for hooning around anyway so as long as I can safely overtake on a NSL road I'm happy.

I mostly commute on my bike at the minute so mpg is important to me. I still love my 125 but small things like being stuck behind a lorry doing 55mph sucks balls as it doesn't have enough to get past it quickly...especially riding into the wind lol or going up any hill.

If a 300 can :

1. Get up a hill without dropping below 65mph

&

2. Have plenty to get past a vehicle doing 55-60mph on NSL roads

Then I'll get one I think.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:10 - 30 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangepeeleo wrote:
I mostly commute on my bike at the minute so mpg is important to me

Then don't get a bigger bike and don't go past 60? Surely that would be the biggest saving rather than buying another bike to "save money"

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:53 - 30 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to move up to a 250-500 for the reasons I gave, mpg is important but slightly behind being able to overtake and get myself up a hill Smile

Dark Angel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:07 - 30 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 250 more than handles what you want it for, its very nippy, had mine in triple figures a few times easily, one of those moments of blasting around nicely then look down not realizing what speed your doing. I don't do it too often as I'm not in it for that myself but its nice to know it does shift when you ask it to.
Up hills.. overtaking... no problems at all. I had same issues on the 125, cringe moments under my helmet. Not anymore.
As for mpg its great, not much different from the 125 really, prob around the 70mpg. Cheap to tax too I mite add.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:42 - 30 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triple figures on the 250 is proper hammering it, its likely to do just over a legitimate 100, maybe 110.

If you want fast, buy fast, if you want economical buy economical.

That said, if you really want eco and usable power, NC700 Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4