Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

98 Db trackday with aftermarket cans?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: 98 Db trackday with aftermarket cans? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm considering attempting my first trackday later this month, however I've recently had to change to a set of aftermarket exhausts (as the Y-piece cracked). I've kept the baffles in, but i'm worried it won't past the noise test... so i have a couple of questions:

a) what happens if you fail a noise test, do you get the money refunded?
b) the pipes are meant to be road legal and comply with all the EU directives, what's the reckoning they'll pass a 98Db limit?
c) has anyone tested their own bike and if so how have you tested it (my phone tops out at 84Db)

Thanks for your help.

(FYI the bike is a KTM 950SM with Leo Vince carbon exhausts)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:25 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: 98 Db trackday with aftermarket cans? Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
b) the pipes are meant to be road legal and comply with all the EU directives, what's the reckoning they'll pass a 98Db limit?
c) has anyone tested their own bike and if so how have you tested it (my phone tops out at 84Db)

Thanks for your help.

You won't get your money back.

Don't need to be road legal as its not a road, but some race cans are far too loud.

I'm on track Wednesday with 2 bikes, both will get checked but our limit is like 102 and both are baffled, I'd be wary of a 950 twin with after market cans, it is likely to exceed such a low limit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: 98 Db trackday with aftermarket cans? Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Dr. DaveJPS wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Don't need to be road legal as its not a road, but some race cans are far too loud.

I'm on track Wednesday with 2 bikes, both will get checked but our limit is like 102 and both are baffled, I'd be wary of a 950 twin with after market cans, it is likely to exceed such a low limit.

What exhaust setup is on the daytona bud? I've got standard setup on mine ATM but the headers have been decatted and had the exup removed, even this I'm concerned won't meet a 102 limit!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:25 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion can, unsure if its a full system but definitely can, which is loud but will pass a piece of piss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: 98 Db trackday with aftermarket cans? Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Cheers Paddy, that's what I suspected.... I'm going to borrow a sound tester from work and see what I get!

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get money back, you'll just get told sorry.

Not only do you have to do stationary ACU noise limit, but they have trackside ride-by limits and if you're too loud on those they'll pull you back in too.

Usually you can buy additional baffles/packing on the day to try quiet it down. Warm engine/exhaust can sometimes make it a bit quieter too.

Mine when cold at 5000 rpm reads 97db on my phone, but don't know how accurate that is. And as an IL4 it gets tested at 7000 I think anyway. Should be under the 102dB of most days I plan on doing.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:

Mine when cold at 5000 rpm reads 97db on my phone, but don't know how accurate that is. And as an IL4 it gets tested at 7000 I think anyway. Should be under the 102dB of most days I plan on doing.

Testing revs depends on cc and number of cylinders. My 954 gets tested at 5k for instance, whereas my R6 was tested higher than that.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the baffle out and lock wiring steel wool to it takes a few dbs off, from experience.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Ben-B wrote:

Testing revs depends on cc and number of cylinders. My 954 gets tested at 5k for instance, whereas my R6 was tested higher than that.

Should have clarified by saying IL4 600.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: 98 Db trackday with aftermarket cans? Reply with quote

Fowlersrs wrote:

What exhaust setup is on the daytona bud? I've got standard setup on mine ATM but the headers have been decatted and had the exup removed, even this I'm concerned won't meet a 102 limit!

If it's a 13> with the short exhaust, Castle Coombe advise on their website that it may not pass as stock.

If it's an 06-12 I use my standard can on trackdays and it's never even been tested with FE, Phil Bevan or No Limits.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:31 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Brands now. The daytona was 101, the sv was 98db?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:09 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you want to test it yourself remember that there are a couple of different 'scales' for decibels. Make sure you get a noise test meter that uses the appropriate one (ie, dba or dbc). The difference is (I think, hopefully someone can give more details) how they bias the levels of different frequencies.

All the best

Keith

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:19 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a few iPhone/Android apps that show/measure noise decibel scale?
Would that be good enough ballpark to relieve any worries (or confirm them)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

"Decibel" on the iOS app store is pretty good.

I meant to test the reading on my friends SV650 race bike when he was getting it officially noise tested, and compare readings from my phone with the reading from the calibrated meter, but by the time I got my phone out he was already done Laughing

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

The issue is most of them run through the phone microphone which is normally geared to clip out at 80db.

In the long run I decided against the track day, mainly as I don't have a tacho (950 sm's were never fitted with them)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:38 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
In the long run I decided against the track day, mainly as I don't have a tacho (950 sm's were never fitted with them)

Such fanny Mr. Green

Just rev it a little, say no rev counter, can't be that loud etc etc.

You'll be gravy, come to Brands Wink

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:50 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
The daytona was 101

The last time I had that bike tested it was 103 one day and 105 the next. Consecutive days at Cadwell with the same testing gear and the same tester. So the noise test seems to involve sticking you finger in the air and guessing.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:22 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
The daytona was 101

The last time I had that bike tested it was 103 one day and 105 the next. Consecutive days at Cadwell with the same testing gear and the same tester. So the noise test seems to involve sticking you finger in the air and guessing.

Laughing I'm assuming it is just a wild stab at it most days.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:49 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can also vary dramatically when someone near by decides to rev their bike when yours is being tested.

All the best

Keith

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the ACU have a preferred method of noise testing but found this instead which I thought was useful when comparing different bikes

https://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike-testing-noise-limits

Always have a 'Plan B'

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 17 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience here is that scrutineers apply a bit of leeway depending on the bike and punter. I turned up to a Cadwell trackday 3 years ago with a Gixxer 750 that produced 108db. The limit was 105db, but they let me through because it was an old bike (1991) and I am an old giffer (45 at he time). The rationale was that a coffin-dodger on a bike that really should be in a museum wouldn't rev high enough on the track to exceed the db limit...

NooBish-AbbZ
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 24 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at a website last night and Croft Circuit which isn't too far from me has a noise restriction of 88Db!?!? My music is louder than that when I'm sat in my room. Disclaimer - Even when it's not particularly loud

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:58 - 19 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

just pop to your local track when there's something on and they'll happily check for you aslong as iit's not a driveby only circuit like Donnington. my 916 did 104db at cadwell with 50mm open cans and link pipe

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 03 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big pot engines (singles and twins) are always going to struggle on a noise test!

Remember db is on a logarithmic scale, so 99db isn't just 10% louder than 90db!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1