Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trackday with Aff + -Matt-

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:14 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Trackday with Aff + -Matt- Reply with quote

1st proper track day with an actual bike for all 3 of us really, my last track experience was in 2009 with a GS500 which lasted 1 session, taster one.

Pretty sure all of us were worried! Laughing However we had a pretty awesome day Thumbs Up Footage will be uploaded but a big thanks to G for loaning me his leathers which have returned unmarked and in 1 piece... that and his Daytona 675 Thumbs Up

Will update with photos/videos and the events that happened as soon as I can copy them over Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching with interest Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:03 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..

Sighting laps told me that my pressures were too low and I should definitely pump them up... forgetful me went out with 15psi in the front and maybe 18psi in the back. Whoops! Ended up getting both the SV and Daytona to 29/29 which was probably the most stable I have felt in a while once warm. Both bikes tyres were easily scrubbed in and started to show the lovely signs on being run nice and hard, so smile number 1 of the day Laughing

We had a total of 6 sessions, first 3 were 20 minutes, the last 3 were 15. I think the pace really picked up after lunch, 2 sessions on the SV to get to know the track, feel where I should brake comfortably and where I should aim to put the bike should I want to overtake. T remaining 4 on the Daytona which I'd never actually ridden, never ridden any 675 Laughing

In all honesty, the SV was more than enough to make novice litre bike riders an object in the mirror, some people were REALLY cautious whilst others were pretty nippy, so a mixed bag that got a little infuriating later on in the sessions.

The Daytona however was a completely different beast, feedback galore.

On the 2nd session on the SV I ended up with my knee on the floor at Clearways which was smile number 2, which gradually developed into overtaking a Daytona 675R with my knee on the floor and keeping a decent distance for the rest of the session so smile number 3.

Decided to give the Daytona a try, little cautious as its not mine and it was miles apart from the SV, I'd got comfy with that and was enjoying it and didn't want to ruin it by choosing a different bike and being crap, luckily it was the best choice I've made in a long time Thumbs Up

There will be videos etc but from what I thought, I was overtaking a few people and keeping a decent pace but looking back at the footage I pass 5 people going round Druids on the inside after out braking some people... Laughing so either I was being a complete bastard or I actually got a little better each session.

Looking at the videos, rough lap times on the SV for the first 2 sessions was 1:20, then the Daytona took this down somewhat to 1:10 Shocked Think the extra power assisted down the straights but can't really work out where it gets the extra speed, maybe someone else can check the footage. Also looks like I did some quicker laps so if you can be arsed to work it out do let me know Laughing

Either way, it was an awesome day, pics and videos to follow from the other 2 as well but here are my best photos from the day, rest are on Photobucket with link. Started off on the SV, so photos appear to be in reverse order but who cares! Thumbs Up

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/paddynewman/LHP_0899_1120_zps6cfdc407.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/paddynewman/LHP_1025_1120_zps00df4f1b.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/paddynewman/LHP_4498_1445_zps7478683f.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/paddynewman/LHP_4649_1445_zpsea0c595e.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/paddynewman/LHP_4765_1445_zps22a082ca.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/paddynewman/LHP_5932_1545_zpsf935f01d.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/paddynewman/LHP_6062_1545_zps4e1632e8.jpg

Rest here - https://s1291.photobucket.com/user/paddynewman/library/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great day Thumbs Up will get my pics and some videos up tomorrow hopefully. Exhausted now Laughing need to find a track nearer to home next time Razz

Dilyan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be so ashamed to take a VFR to this event. And my lights can't be switched off. I guess that can be sorted with a fuse removal though Smile

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i did was fold my mirrors in Razz plus you wont be that strange of a sight on the VFR, good mix of bikes there in the novice groups particularly - including one harley in the other group Thinking

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:56 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
All i did was fold my mirrors in Razz plus you wont be that strange of a sight on the VFR, good mix of bikes there in the novice groups particularly - including one harley in the other group Thinking

Need to see the external footage Iain was telling me about, needs upload init Thumbs Up

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was good fun watching Paddy trounce everyone in the Novice group on the 675 - a natural Thumbs Up

Shame about Aff's wing mirror breaking off though Thumbs Down

Always have a 'Plan B'

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Need to see the external footage Iain was telling me about, needs upload init Thumbs Up
I'll upload tomorrow or the day after Thumbs Up

Just had a quick flick through most of the videos, got some decent footage - good bit of you and aff alongside each other on the mini-straight Thumbs Up

Few sections are black/misted up due to the Drift being allergic to water Rolling Eyes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:11 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilyan wrote:
I'd be so ashamed to take a VFR to this event. And my lights can't be switched off. I guess that can be sorted with a fuse removal though Smile

Could be worse... you could take a SV650.

Oh, wait...

Wink

Always amusing to be keeping up or passing people on much more suited machinery.

J D
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:17 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to get myself back on track been too long. Really like brands.

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great day. When's the next one? Smile

Paddy u got more lean angles on the 675 for sure. How did u find it?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:43 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fowlersrs wrote:
Looks like a great day. When's the next one? Smile

Paddy u got more lean angles on the 675 for sure. How did u find it?

Didn't really get a decent amount of photos on the SV, think a commuter bike on the track gave the photographer AIDS so they quit early. But no, managed to fuck the tyres on the SV at the edges so assume I had a bit of lean on that too but nowhere near as fast round the corners or into them in fact.

The Daytona, well I want one now for track use. If a total noob can hop on it, lap the entire group ranging from Ninja 300s to Busas... then I'm sure its a very capable bike and as such I am likely to enjoy my new Street Triple Laughing Was nice hearing Fizzer say that he is surprised I haven't been moved up a group but as far as I knew, I was just a little bit quicker, perhaps a little more confident as I knew I wasn't riding home and if I binned it, I'd shrug it off and get on the other bike. Laughing

Building up gradually as I was told to was definitely the right way, ended up in the last 3 sessions keeping my knee on the floor all through Druids undertaking 5 people after braking really late and going in stupidly tight, in comparison to where the cones were placed for turn in and apex. Same with Clearways, that was the worst corner for any form of hold ups though, you had people kinda waddling side to side, someone mentioned 50 pence piece or something so likely just turn, sit up, turn, sit up etc but once you get round the left of them banked over in 3rd and crack it open you seem to get passed them Laughing

I did however have some fuck ups, I do tend to brake quite late coming up towards druids and found the front end to be set a little wrong for my weight, every time I braked you heard the front end squeak a little and it sort of hopped, happened a few times so I'd like to address that, the last session was better but I was carrying more speed round the corner rather than shaving it off, purely because last session = lap the guy on the GSXr in the "Dobby" jacket as many times as possible Laughing Personal challenges eh.

Cannot wait to do it again, gradually building up again as it seemed to work a treat, maybe after another novice session I'll move up a group but who knows, might have just been lucky that day!

Last edited by P. on 08:49 - 10 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think u can go wrong with a daytona for the track and a street for the road, I just needs me a street now.. Wicked engine isn't it

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:50 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fowlersrs wrote:
I don't think u can go wrong with a daytona for the track and a street for the road, I just needs me a street now.. Wicked engine isn't it

No idea, never ridden it!! Very Happy

However pics of tyres above after the first session on the Daytona, the front has weird wear which I can only attribute to the stupidly late braking making the front end hop.

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tyres was the daytona running, Metz m5 sportecs? Racetechs?

God knows with the front, I'm sure G will know, u must just be a riding god paddy and a late braker Wink

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:50 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fowlersrs wrote:
What tyres was the daytona running, Metz m5 sportecs? Racetechs?

God knows with the front, I'm sure G will know, u must just be a riding god paddy and a late braker Wink

At 1 minute 10 seconds, I am nowhere near fast Laughing Guy in the garage next to us was running 57/58 Shocked But he was using an S1000RR.

It has Racetec K1s on there, which were hot as hell and super sticky when we got back in, you could barely touch them Laughing
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a good day, absolutely knackered now though.

Some pics from my ceedee:

https://i.imgur.com/4MSmpdc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9WVMcv9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wZMwORn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/atI5XGZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jdHPwG9l.jpg

Unfortunately this means I'm going to have to buy a track bike and a van. Life is hard sometimes.

Last edited by Aff on 10:22 - 10 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a big thanks to Paddy for letting me crash at his. Top bloke. Thumbs Up

Oh and a thanks to Iain for introducing me to Black Salami.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:51 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an idea, I was reasonably happy with 53 second laps on a 67hp SV650 around there when I was on-form.
I think I was doing 56/57 with a 35hp SV650s the same weekend.

Pretty sure blue was a chunk faster than that on an SV.

Will be well off that pace now.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:09 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, that's still not an amazing pace - would be a good way back in MRO.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:15 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, this was on the GP circuit Thumbs Up

Shifty no.. really... honest. Laughing

But nah, I'm definitely nowhere near good enough for those times, I'd like to get better but I fear that may mean buying a Daytona and actually getting to more days, definitely going to book a chunk next year in the height of summer Thumbs Up Good day out.

2nd session, still wobbling - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXlodTEJ7R8

later sessions on Daytona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZn4nT3TB7o

Rear facing one where you can see overtakes etc quite well. ~9:30 is the best bit of riding I've ever done Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shFayNw_iw
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3