Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trackday with Aff + -Matt-

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very envious of you lot. I will definitely be booking one once my gay restriction is up Thumbs Up (preferably with some of you)

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my pics Smile Was a really great day. Will definately look at borrowing/buying a cheaper trackbike for the next one though as I felt I was holding back quite a bit during the day in fear of stacking the ZX Embarassed Still a brilliant day though, felt like we had ages on the track as well Thumbs Up

Some of the pics/footage from my drift that was mounted on paddys bike for a few sessions is a bit blurred and some is corrupted entirely - turns out Drifts aren't ''weatherproof'' when subjected to extremely severe rain that me and Aff hit on the M25 Rolling Eyes Thanks to Aff performing open heart surgery on it and me dabbing it with much paper towel we managed to get it working again in the end Laughing

Will upload the bits of footage from the camera that wasn't corrupted/black/misted up this evening hopefully Razz
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/1_zps783080b5.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/11_zpsaa0fd86b.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/12_zpseb278d79.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/13_zps66a42c52.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/14_zpsab9656d5.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/15_zps38763f00.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/16_zpsd14f8334.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/17_zpsf137257d.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/18_zps0616dd45.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/19_zps590cd5f1.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/110_zps1bc7bd7a.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/111_zps6d3ccf8a.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/112_zps9607b089.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/113_zps70979bcf.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/trackday%20brands%201/114_zpscf5f1799.jpg

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy, that one piece makes you look like a Gorilla on a 125.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Well..

Looking at the videos, rough lap times on the SV for the first 2 sessions was 1:20, then the Daytona took this down somewhat to 1:10 Shocked Think the extra power assisted down the straights but can't really work out where it gets the extra speed, maybe someone else can check the footage. Also looks like I did some quicker laps so if you can be arsed to work it out do let me know Laughing

Looks like you guys had a great day and thanks for the write-up, I enjoyed reading it! Thumbs Up

As for where the Daytona was faster, well a little bit everywhere will be the answer! I don't need to scrutinise the footage to establish that. A fraction here and there adds up over an entire lap.

One thing I did note watching the SV footage is that you don't change gear often, any reason?

Oh and looking at the Daytona footage, did you knew you used the rear brake? ... first time I saw footage of my feet I was shocked, I wasn't actually aware I even used it, let alone so extensively!

G wrote:
As an idea, I was reasonably happy with 53 second laps on a 67hp SV650 around there when I was on-form.
I think I was doing 56/57 with a 35hp SV650s the same weekend.

Pretty sure blue was a chunk faster than that on an SV.

Will be well off that pace now.

Dusting off my lap time notes, looks like 52.2 was my fastest recorded lap on an SV. But that was years ago, like you, no idea what my pace would be today. Confused

This whole thing has made me a little 'track-sick' actually! Shocked

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:05 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea; seeing that I happen to be conveniently close to Brands Hatch; as does, as it goes, both my track bike, leathers and van Smile, I should probably get out and have a play.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That vans got quite an interesting gearbox Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:29 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the van popped out of gear on the way to the MOT and wouldn't go back in (just as a really heavy shower started, in rush hour on a major single carriageway), it was actually a good thing as it turns out the likely culprit is the gear lever cable/grommits/etc, so should be a pretty easy fix when I have the time/money/van.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:08 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gear changes..

Well, I remember what gears I was in for each corner. Laughing Aimed to do the same each time round, the SV never really run out of puff so I'm likely going to give that another go round Brands soon.

SV was into 5th down the straight where as the Daytona could stay in 3rd, giving me a little more engine braking for paddock hill meaning I could just brake a little later and cut the slow ones up Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:12 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
I could just brake a little later and cut the slow ones up

This is imo a bit of a wang thing to do. It's what worries me most about going on track as an inexperienced rider. Ought to be moving up a group when you find that happening really!

Indeed, but if they want to go slow then move over a little Wink Rather than sit bang in the middle of the track eh!

Moving up a group would have been fun but I reckon I'd have felt encouraged to push a little further than I would be willing to, given the photo of the Daytona bent over made me poo my pants and thing really? I reckon I'd have come off Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:23 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Moving up a group would have been fun but I reckon I'd have felt encouraged to push a little further than I would be willing to....

Get a hair cut - you'll loose a stone and a half and drop about a second a lap Wink

Looks a fun day, well done gents Thumbs Up

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cutting people up into corners, move up a group.

The novice group is not for that. Seen many accidents on track from people doing that.

Mtfu and get in the fast group to progress properly.

APT Motorcycles

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Think I've got about 4 weeks till my next appointment where I find out if I'm allowed to go play motorbikes. Whats feelings on another one around then? This did look like epic fun. Mr. Green
I really shouldn't, but I really might Laughing

Depends a lot on the sidecars, if that goes ahead as expected I can't afford it, money or time wise - if it doesn't I may well be disappointed enough to ignore my instincts and risk the ZX again Whistle

Do think Paddy might be best in the next group up next time like you said though Wink gives him time to watch us and laugh while we wobble round with the noobs too.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Gear changes..

Well, I remember what gears I was in for each corner. Laughing Aimed to do the same each time round, the SV never really run out of puff so I'm likely going to give that another go round Brands soon.

Consistency is key, but I'd deffo experiment with using more gears ...

When is the next one? I wanna go! Cool

evoboy wrote:
.... move up a group.

... Mtfu and get in the fast group to progress properly.

Agree considering moving up to inters, but not fast (yet).

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:39 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall book an inters group next Thumbs Up

I do feel there should be a fast novice and slow novice however. The ones that are truly scared and the ones that were fairly well paced in novice, like Busa guy and RSV4 that were playing hard to get, 2 different "1st trackday but fast road rider" and "first trackday but sunday bimbler" groups.

I wasn't aiming for knee down, it was just lulzy going past people with a knee of the floor, especially since I'd never got my knee down before. Laughing Not desperate at all, just found it humorous that I hate right hand turns but right hand turns were easy on track.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I do feel there should be a fast novice and slow novice however. The ones that are truly scared and the ones that were fairly well paced in novice, like Busa guy and RSV4 that were playing hard to get, 2 different "1st trackday but fast road rider" and "first trackday but sunday bimbler" groups.

Some trackdays do run 4 groups, so you have an additional group between novice and inters, which I've seen work well. That said, I'd rather have more track time.

Open pitlane days are worth a look as well. Maximum track time, and they're usually not that much more. Only ever had them at Snetterton, where it's very easy to pass.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a fourth group at ours actually Paddy? Or was it two novices because so many had booked up. I remember a lot of the intermediates moved upto the top group too as that only had about five people in at the start of the day Laughing

Agree a split novices would of been good - I'd of said i was the upper end of the slower half of our group, i'd like to say because I was scared of crashing the ZX, but possibly just because I was crap in comparison Whistle.

As much as a few people were holding me up at times too, there was a definate lack of speed and confidence comparing myself to Paddy and a couple of the other faster ones in the group - having them blitz past constantly didn't really help the confidence of the slower lot I think Embarassed

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:05 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some places run novice specific days with three levels of 'novice'.

From the bits of the video I saw plenty of space was given, but only watched a few bits.

In a fast group I'd expect close passes going into corners etc - in a novice/intermediate I'd hope more space was given and closer ones are coming out of corners.

Expect a wide range of abilities in intermediates - from people that should be in the fast group but wouldn't stand out so go for inter-group hero status to those that wouldn't trouble most riders in a novice group, but have feel their 14 plate sports bike means they are obviously well-fast.

Just a note that 'racing lines' are often very different to 'qualifying lines' - the lines you take when you're either trying to stop someone overtake or are overtaking yourself can be quite different to those used when you've got clear space.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - seeking advice here. After telling myself this would be a one off taster to continue in the future, after one day i'm really considering a track bike. Likely will be stored at paddys for track days as and when I can make it and afford it.

I really don't want to risk the ZX again and want something I can push it a bit more on without worrying whether I can afford to crash - not that i'm aiming to crash it Rolling Eyes.

My initial thoughts have been CB500 or SV650 [which paddy seemed to get on with great] for cheap bike/parts/repairs. Presuming I don't suddenly turn into Rossi overnight and need something with top performance to keep up on the straights, would these be a good option to start off with on a budget.

Paddys also suggested an old CBR600 as another option

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:53 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would go for a 600 sports bike for trackdays.

If you progress a bit, you may well find you start to get held up by slower riders on faster bikes on bikes under 600.

You end up getting past them on the brakes/in the corners/on the power, then any bit of straight they're straight past you.
End up having to take compromised lines every corner to repeat the same thing.

While bigger bikes only get a noticeable advantage on decently long straights, so that happens a lot less - also, as there's more bikes of a similar power, you've got more people to 'play' with.

More capacity and it can lead to being a bit lazy - 100hp seems the sweetspot for trackdays for me as far as making use of the bike, but not getting frustrated with the pace.

I'd just keep an eye out for a 600 trackbike within budget - plenty of good deals on the ZX6s and if your budget can stretch to it, a B1H makes a very nice choice.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
So - seeking advice here. After telling myself this would be a one off taster to continue in the future, after one day i'm really considering a track bike. Likely will be stored at paddys for track days as and when I can make it and afford it.

This is exactly why I'm scared to do a track day Matt. I might like it, but the bank account won't! Laughing

Nice one fellas, excellent pics

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
...after one day i'm really considering a track bike. ...

What is your budget?

As G said, a 600 is the ideal track tool.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:41 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a watch on various videos, some inters are doing 1:03-1:08 on their bikes with no real hold ups, I'm gonna book an inters day, if I really am struggling assume they can drop me down if there is space?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3