Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

info wanted

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
 Topic moved: from Bikes & Accessories to General Bike Chat by G (26 Jul 2014 - 17:19)
View previous topic : View next topic  

nsr Bassett
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: info wanted Reply with quote

Hello guys n girls

I'm new to BCf so be easy on me Smile

I have recently got a nsr125r jc20 , full print outs for 28Bhp , any way I'm in need of a new top end (barrel , piston , rings )and so on ..

Iv looked on David silvers page he want over £300 for topend :'(

Any ideas where I can get 2nd hand one or newish one cheap Smile

Regards dave

nsr Bassett
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:01 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: info wanted HONDA NSR 125 JC20 Reply with quote

nsr Bassett wrote:
Hello guys n girls

I have recently got a nsr125r jc20 , full print outs for 28Bhp , any way I'm in need of a new top end (barrel , piston , rings )and so on ..

Regards dave
[/img]

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:03 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2 stroke. The barrel, piston and rings are wear items. New is the way to go.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a two stroke. If you want it to keep running properly then spending money on rebuilds is part of the parcel. However, buying an OEM part is unnecessary, you should be able to pick up a piston and barrel from for a fraction of the price by buying elsewhere.

nsr Bassett
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:28 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv tried every where only way to go is honda parts or Molossi 190 kit but ideally want to keep it orginal

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.athenaparts.com/eng/kits/view/432/cylinder-kit-with-head-125-cc

Not showing stock, but worth calling them.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: info wanted Reply with quote

nsr Bassett wrote:
Hello guys n girls

Regards dave

cheap and usable isnt going to happen.
also if you put a standard barrel and piston in it you wont be getting 28 bhp any more.
also at that kind of power you are going to be replacing them a lot.
are you on L plates?
if you are then the bigger cc is the way to go,if youre already breaking the law you might as well get an r1

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:41 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What is wrong with the current barrel?

A replate is about £100 or so, with gaskets and pistons on top of that.

A barrel and piston from David Silver is £155. Rings another ~£32.

All the best

Keith

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one for the 'you bought the wrong bike if you want it on the cheap' club Laughing

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
am i missing something here but wasnt a full power NSR advertised/listed at 28bhp anyway?
so a nice shiney new cylinder kit from david silvers will help him regain his 28bhp, no?
all for around 200 quid.
very cheap in comparison to its competitors ie aprilia rs125 : over 400 quid just for oem cylinder, cagiva mito :same, if you can find a decent one etc

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:43 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Depends if you believe the original manufacturers claims for power, which would probably be a crank figure anyway.

All the best

Keith

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i get what your saying Keith, but surely a new cylinder,piston, gaskets etc. oem which from david silvers would be around 200 quid & would be the way to go.
200 quid is imho, a very good price (compared to its competitors anyway) + once the parts are replaced/fitted, bike would have a nice new top end, so therefore op could LEGITIMATELY claim the bike as having 28bhp, seeing as thats what the manufacturers stats are.
imho, dyno prints are what you want them to, seeing as the machines have will have been set at whatever " % out" the fitter feels is ok.

saying that i'd rather have a dynoprint than nothing, purely for being able to back up bragging rights,lol

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:00 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think the point possibly aluded to earlier was that if the particular bike were 28hp before then it wasn't standard (ie, probably played with barrel), so a new standard barrel would be down on that.

The price David Silver charges for the new stock barrel is a good price. I presume that bought up a large stock of them from Honda when they stopped making the bikes (just for amusement I looked up the price on CMSNL - 340 Euro Laughing ). At the price they are asking it would be my choice as well.

All the best

Keith

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get a brand new cylinder at that price! It's a steal IMO!
A KMX 125 cylinder is around £310+ VAT which is still a good price, when you think about having an old damaged cylinder welded, re-plated etc, and always better in theory than having a cylinder bored out and a steel liner dropped in. Though I reckon a lot of it is down to how well a liner is fitted and port matched.

A full new top end, re-assembled carefully and run in properly using good fully synth 2T oil, should give an NSR125 15-20000miles of thrash happy reliable performance, provided it's maintained well, and warmed up carefully etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1