Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who you gonna call?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CieL
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:36 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Who you gonna call? Reply with quote

Hypothetical situation, you break down/crash in London and don't have breakdown cover, who you gonna call to take your bike home?

What about if you're in Cornwall or Norwich? Will AA, RAC save your ass if you're not registered with them?

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father, he will and has picked me up 100's of miles from home at 3am Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:44 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA will recover you, at an extortionate cost. They normally charge a full year's membership up front or something like that.

A mate of mimes scooter broke down and he called out the AA, they charged him about £180 to put his scooter in the back of the van and drive it 10 miles to his house!

CieL
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:44 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what if one day your daddy says "son, you're on your own", what then SQL, WHAT THEN?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain bike to lamp-post and start walking, many hours later when you have finally got home, start going through Yellow Pages/internet and find collection & delivery service, post them the keys, go find the money to pay them!

Or! you could just join a recovery company BEFORE you start going out on your bike. (it`s a lot cheaper)

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get pushing lol or try to fix at side of road
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

At about £80 for relay (which is what I would want) it's really a no brainer.

Or about £35 for auto aid but you have to have the cash.

CieL
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:01 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this scooter on the side of the road the other day and got me thinking.

Now Polarbear that sounds a bit better. I was starting to think that I needed to befriend a guy with a van, just in case... Rolling Eyes

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of bike transport companies in my phone.

I also carry my chain and lock with me everywhere so chain it to a lamp post. Get home, walk across the road and hire a tail lift van and go retrieve it.

Normally however I try preventative maintenance crashes not withstanding (though I rode my wrecked CBR home after a high speed crash) meaning I don't let the bike get to the stage where I think something will go wrong.

Y'know the preventative maintenance and pre-ride checks the bike manual instructs you to do (for cars as well) but lots of people ignore.

If it was a crash I was seriously injured in, the police will sort it out and gouge me appropriately.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate with a van. Or, in the case of my big one at Oulton, lift home then travel up the next day to sling it in the back of a horsebox, which was the only thing to hand.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (piece of shit) Daytona 675 broke down whilst in London. I was about 25 miles from home. Conveniently, I broke down right outside a pub so I sat in there, got them to charge up my phone whilst I had lunch + a few beers and then used their free wifi to find a breakdown company who would be available to take me home. Cost me about £90 in the end. Would struggle to buy a Triumph again because of it, which is a shame.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I crashed, it was on a trackday, so fixed it with the help of people in the garage then rode it home.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
My (piece of shit) Daytona 675 broke down whilst in London. I was about 25 miles from home. Conveniently, I broke down right outside a pub so I sat in there, got them to charge up my phone whilst I had lunch + a few beers and then used their free wifi to find a breakdown company who would be available to take me home. Cost me about £90 in the end. Would struggle to buy a Triumph again because of it, which is a shame.

How did it die? Reg/rec or stator failure?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:39 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Who you gonna call? Reply with quote

AA and RAC will do everything they can to avoid being helpful even if you DO have a policy with them in my experience.

Green flag or ADAC if ADAC still do it.

And, of course, I'd either arrange a friend with a van to come to me, or get to one of my vehicles that can take bikes.

If I didn't have any of that, first up I'd post on BCF.

Then I'd consider local 'man with van' types.

CieL
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:44 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn G, they don't call you "the voice of reason" for nothing. That's some good advice right there.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:54 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you're lucky, someone another biker might stop for you.
Less likely in London possibly. But then if you actually live in London, lock it up and return with tools maybe, as it's hard to get around.

Some years ago I had someone not only stop for me, but give me a lift back to his play in his car, get one of his friends to collect me and take me home.

I've repayed the favour a few times to random strangers.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with the post on here thing, when my bike got stuck on an icey dual carriage way in 2010 I posted here, although nobody could help collect it right away, a couple of people passed the area on a daily basis and kept an eye on it for me until the snow passed and I could pick it up.

There are lots of London based users (myself included) so I would imagine there would be some help available in the city if you asked nicely enough. The rest of the country, I suppose we have reasonable user coverage, but it's not something I'd want to rely on!

This year I opted for breakdown cover with my insurance, just to be safe Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of on topic, I have considered trying to make a user based breakdown type thread in the past.

The way I see it working is this:

To be able to rely on help you should offer help. You don't have to be a mechanical wizz to be helpful either. So anybody who is willing to offer help says so, and I add them to a list in the first post, they decide how far they'll go, and provide a rough area, so for instance there would be a list something like this:

c_dug - Hornchurch, Essex. 10 Mile radius.
Tom - Birmingham. 25 Mile radius.
Dick - Newquay. 7 Mile radius.
Harry - Windsor, 50 Mile radius.

Then, if you are on the list and you breakdown you can contact a user who might be able to help you, and if they can they will. It might be something as simple as a jerry can of fuel, or a hot drink while waiting for a recovery vehicle.

To be fair if people think it's a worthwhile idea I could set up the thread, just didn't think there would be much interest.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:11 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Sort of on topic, I have considered trying to make a user based breakdown type thread in the past.

To be able to rely on help you should offer help. You don't have to be a mechanical wizz to be helpful either. So anybody who is willing to offer help says so, and I add them to a list in the first post, they decide how far they'll go, and provide a rough area, so for instance there would be a list something like this:

Then, if you are on the list and you breakdown you can contact a user who might be able to help you, and if they can they will. It might be something as simple as a jerry can of fuel, or a hot drink while waiting for a recovery vehicle.

To be fair if people think it's a worthwhile idea I could set up the thread, just didn't think there would be much interest.

another forum im on, landyzone, has a section called Landyzone International Rescue that does exactly that, though tbh its usually people whove gone off road illegally got stuck and nobody else will touch them Very Happy it does work really well though.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
instigator wrote:

How did it die? Reg/rec or stator failure?

Reg/Rec. This was before Triumph recognised it was an issue. Mad I sold it quickly after because I couldn't trust the thing (it was my firs Triumph... and unfortunately,probably my last)

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

I think for something like this, you'd want an ease of use system. So something with a map, that each person could put a pin on, and maybe a radius of what they'd be willing to cover (conditionally of course) - which could then link to their username here.

Then should anyone break down, use this particular map to find those with the resources to help, and go from there.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh wrote:

Then should anyone break down, use this particular map to find those with the resources to help, and go from there.

We used to do this as part of BCF norf.

I brought a puncture repair kit to somebody and a cable repair kit to another.

SWB also had something similar. I covered Bodmin and Falmouth area. I ended up giving towing a couple of guys when their bikes died unexpectedly (bike to bike). SWB was a lot less formal though as it was well I have to commute from Falmouth to Plymouth anyway so if anybody is broken down on the way I may be able to help.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate with a van, pretty much every time.

I have a number of very reliable ones, including one who made the 100 mile round trip to the Ace at silly O'clock after a BCF ride gone wrong (which I imagine c_dug remembers...), and recently picked me and the bike up after writing off my 750.

I'd be more than up for the whole BCF emergency squad thing, except I don't think I'd be a great deal of use to anyone - no van, car hardly practical for carrying tools/people (350z) and next to no mechanical skill. I do make a cracking cup of tea though?
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you break down in Norwich just PM Me Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2