Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stuck between 2 bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheColourPink
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:15 - 11 Aug 2014    Post subject: Stuck between 2 bikes Reply with quote

Hey guys im doing my CBT within the next couple of weeks and i cant decide between buying a Yamaha YBR125 Custom or a Honda CBF125. im a complete newbie at bikes so your guys opinions of which you think is better would be really great Smile.

Thanks.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 11 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a Recent CBF, don't bother, you have a considerable chance it will rust to shit in no time flat, worth the gamble?
Just search "CBF rust" on here.

I've been looking at an upgrade to my CG, and best option seems to be the YBR (to suit my needs and within my budget at least)

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 11 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not rust, it's just flux!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the YBR. Having owned a CBF, I think they are now going down the lines of Chinese bikes i.e. you need to keep them dry, and impeccably maintained to stand a good chance of them lasting. Having said that, I had no trouble with my 09 model, but lots of people weren't so lucky especially with the 2010 onwards models.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:36 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny choice between a YBR Custom or a CBF. Why not a standard YBR? More of them around.

Baffler186 wrote:
Having owned a CBF, I think they are now going down the lines of Chinese bikes

Ironic, the YBR being Chinese and all. Wink

Baffler186 wrote:
Having said that, I had no trouble with my 09 model, but lots of people weren't so lucky especially with the 2010 onwards models.

There's a 2009 and a 2012 that park up near me. The 2009 is in noticeably better condition.

Are you planning on buying new or used?

If new, the YBR out of those two.

If used, any 4 stroke Japanese branded UK market bike based on condition.

TheColourPink
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:44 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Funny choice between a YBR Custom or a CBF. Why not a standard YBR? More of them around.

Baffler186 wrote:
Having owned a CBF, I think they are now going down the lines of Chinese bikes

Ironic, the YBR being Chinese and all. Wink

Baffler186 wrote:
Having said that, I had no trouble with my 09 model, but lots of people weren't so lucky especially with the 2010 onwards models.

There's a 2009 and a 2012 that park up near me. The 2009 is in noticeably better condition.

Are you planning on buying new or used?

If new, the YBR out of those two.

If used, any 4 stroke Japanese branded UK market bike based on condition.

I just prefer how the YBR custom looks compared to the normal YBR Razz

and i plan on buying new Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR custom, it has a kickstart.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:04 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?

If 17 and you're planning to keep it for 2 years, fair enough. ACF-50 all over out of the showroom.

If you're 19+ don't waste your time on a tiddler. A2 or A license, try some bigger bikes, step back down to a 125 later if you want something for fun.

TheColourPink
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:08 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
How old are you?

If 17 and you're planning to keep it for 2 years, fair enough. ACF-50 all over out of the showroom.

If you're 19+ don't waste your time on a tiddler. A2 or A license, try some bigger bikes, step back down to a 125 later if you want something for fun.

Im 21, im a noob when it comes to bikes so im not really sure how the license goes, all i know is you need a cbt first not sure what comes next

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:24 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'd strongly discourage you from buying any new bike as you'll get mashed by the depreciation on it.

At 21, the usual route (now) is:

CBT
[OPTIONALLY] Buy a cheap hack of a 125 and tool around for a bit
Motorcycle theory
Training on an "A2" test bike (395cc+, 25-35kW) via a training school
A2 module 1 test
A2 module 2 test
Buy yourself an appropriate A2 bike and wheelie off into the horizon.

It used to make more sense to buy a 125 because you could get a full license (eventually) by passing the tests on it yourself. That option no longer exists, so a 125 now makes sense only for:

Cheap commuting (often on eternal L plates).
Self-training while doing taught training on a bigger bike.
Riding the best bike you can have until you hit 19.
The lulz.

Anyway, see how you enjoy the CBT and take it from there.

TheColourPink
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:27 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Then I'd strongly discourage you from buying any new bike as you'll get mashed by the depreciation on it.

CBT
Motorcycle theory
A2 module 1 test
A2 module 2 test

It used to make more sense to buy a 125 because you could get a full license (eventually) by passing the tests on it yourself. That option no longer exists, so a 125 now makes sense only for:

The lulz.

Ok, i want a full license anyway so i dont think ill waste money on a 125 now Razz maybe ill just buy a cheap 2nd hand one. thank you for being helpful Smile.

i have 1 more nooby question though if you dont mind, do i have to provide the 395cc+ bike myself or does the training school have one? and does the training take as long as my car license did?

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheColourPink wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

CBT
Motorcycle theory
A2 module 1 test
A2 module 2 test

The lulz.

Ok, i want a full license anyway so i dont think ill waste money on a 125 now Razz maybe ill just buy a cheap 2nd hand one. thank you for being helpful Smile.

i have 1 more nooby question though if you dont mind, do i have to provide the 395cc+ bike myself or does the training school have one? and does the training take as long as my car license did?

The school has one. Do your CBT with a school that also does DAS and they'll explain it all to you.

Ignore anything Mike says about his tiddler. It's a total waste of time.

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:57 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a DAS course for your A2 licence and go out and buy an A2 compatible bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:33 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheColourPink wrote:
does the training take as long as my car license did?

I dunno, how long did your car license take? Wink

Some people pass their tests with as little as two days of training. Others take a lot longer. It entirely depends how well you take to it, and whether you want to do an intensive course or spread it out over several weeks (or longer).

You'll need to arrange that with your chosen training school. Do take the opportunity to actually talk to the instructors, as you don't want to end up with Shouty McRant - there are sadly a few of them around.

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:46 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't ridden the CBF but I can say my bought new YBR 2013 model has been a solid little workhorse for nearly six months now, it's got 7,500 on the clock and replacements to date are new tyres, new front brake pads and misc parts changed at intervals (spark plug, oil obviously, few other cheap bits) and apart from the chain/sprocket wearing out and needing a change soon as it's super high mileage and I rag it for my commute it's been great for learning on.

I will say the fucking gearbox is annoying though, has a habit of going into neutral when you don't want and not going in when you do, or worse requiring a couple of hard stomps to come out of neutral when trying to pull away at the lights. As I understand it this is a problem more common to 125s in general, however it might also be Yamaha who seem to have a reputation for notchy gearboxes.

Given the events over again, I wouldn't buy new and I wouldn't have wasted time on a 125. However, I needed something straight away and had almost zero money to buy a used bike outright, zero money for DAS so I was stuck. For anyone 25 and over, get on a big bike straight away before they make it even more of a ballache than it already is. Four tests when new drivers have two and waiting until 25 for bigger bikes? Way to penalise a minority...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheColourPink
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:32 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
TheColourPink wrote:
does the training take as long as my car license did?

I dunno, how long did your car license take? Wink

Some people pass their tests with as little as two days of training. Others take a lot longer. It entirely depends how well you take to it, and whether you want to do an intensive course or spread it out over several weeks (or longer).

You'll need to arrange that with your chosen training school. Do take the opportunity to actually talk to the instructors, as you don't want to end up with Shouty McRant - there are sadly a few of them around.

I started lessons in April and passed in September Smile.

Thank you for the info it's been very useful and you've saved me from wasting money on a 125 Smile

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:22 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Also, once your pass your A2 test and two years have elapsed you can do your A license (unrestricted), probably at minimal cost as well because there isn't a world of difference between a A2 bike and an A test bike = minimal training, provided you haven't picked up any bad habits.

Not as big a benefit to you over somebody who is 19, but at least you can get a full license a year earlier than if you never did your A2 (24)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1