Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thought I'd Introduce Myself

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tomoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:21 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Thought I'd Introduce Myself Reply with quote

Well after hiring a van yesterday and traipsing round Northants and Herts looking at lots of tatty bikes, today I have purchased a lovely old Triumph. Smile

Its a 1998 Triumph Sprint Executive, complete with factory fit colour matched hard luggage. Its clearly been cherished, and after quite a bit of thought much more suitable for me than the likes of a Fazer, Bandit, SV650 etc (as becomes clear in the last photo Wink )

I have my MOD1 test tomorrow, and MOD2 booked for 6th August. Its going to be a long 10 days before I'm allowed to ride it!

I've locked it up in a friends garage to remove any temptation to ride it, but a quick test ride had me grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Any tips with these? The back tyre is a bit square and I'll do a service and chain and sprocket for piece of mind, but overall its in really good condition indeed and seems to have been cherished.

Here she is.

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Triumph/Day%20of%20Purchase/IMG_4304.png

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Triumph/Day%20of%20Purchase/IMG_4301.png

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Triumph/Day%20of%20Purchase/IMG_4302.png

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Triumph/Day%20of%20Purchase/IMG_4308.png

And without the luggage with me looking a bit, well, silly... I've lost quite a bit of weight, but still a long way to go Wink

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Triumph/Day%20of%20Purchase/IMG_4313.jpg

Any advice and tips etc appreciated. Smile

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, and welcome to the forum Smile .

The only tip I would mention is to not thrash it straight off the bat - not because you just past your test or anything like that but the bike may have a defect you're unaware of. I bought a ZZR600 a few years ago, looked immaculate and the previous owner was a sound chap. Little did he know himself, the rear sprocket carrier bearing was on its last legs.

10 miles into my journey home after buying it, it shat itself and locked up the rear wheel at 70mph. Brown pants moment, but I managed to stay on it. After that, any bike I bought I took it easy for the first 50 or so miles. Laughing .

Best of luck with the test! Thumbs Up .
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tomoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:24 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, I shall certainly be taking it steady for a bit.

I'm going to go over the bike top to bottom and do a mega service, so anything it needs it will get Smile

MOD1 passed today, just 1 minor for only hitting 49kmph on the swerve, I can live with that.

MOD2 next Weds, wish me luck!

BravoCharlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome buddy!

Nice bike, and congrats on MOD1! Good luck with MOD2!

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:17 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate. Welcome. Obliterate your reg number from your pic or some twat might steal your bike identity, fill up, do a runner & you'll have twenty policemen in your kitchen.

Tomoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunny Lingus wrote:
Hi mate. Welcome. Obliterate your reg number from your pic or some twat might steal your bike identity, fill up, do a runner & you'll have twenty policemen in your kitchen.

And to be doubly safe make sure you cover your plate when parked up, and particularly when riding on roads like motorways... Wink

I'll take a chance Wink

BravoCharlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mock, but it does happen!

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bike. I'm certainly enjoying my Sprint. Mine needed the head bearings replacing shortly after I bought it. GL next week.

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:42 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Thought I'd Introduce Myself Reply with quote

Tomoose wrote:

Any advice and tips etc appreciated. Smile

Bunny Lingus wrote:

Tomoose wrote:
And to be doubly safe make sure you cover your plate when parked up, and particularly when riding on roads like motorways... Wink

I'll take a chance Wink

I was pissing on the desert sands
When the desert whispered to me
It said, "Isn't this a shame?
Things will never be the same".

Tomoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:53 - 29 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm looking for the joke with a microscope...

Sorry my previous reply came across as abrupt, it was entirely tongue-in-cheek! Its sound advice and I simply can't be arsed to change the photos, but will do in the future! Cool

Its a bloody good job the bike is locked away in a friends garage as the temptation to ride it is strong... Twisted Evil

Cheers,
Tom.

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:02 - 29 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomoose wrote:
Now I'm looking for the joke with a microscope...

No worries fella Thumbs Up you passed the only test that matters with flying colours, therefore you can do no wrong ever & don't worry about being abrupt with me. I've been abrupted by just about everything that walks & crawls on here & everywhere else Laughing You'll get used to it
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1