Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TfL's Motorcycle Action Plan

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: TfL's Motorcycle Action Plan Reply with quote

Motorcycle Action Plan.

In summary, stay out of SE London, be middle-aged and wear your kit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:21 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lot who are putting up cameras to fine bikers who cross advanced stop lines for safety reasons? Thinking

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graph is interesting though

60-64 year old motorcyclists are involved in less accidents than 60-64 year old cyclists Thinking

Same with over 65 pensioners, seem to be in more accidents than a few of the biker and cyclist age groups.

Maybe they should ban 65 and over from being allowed in the City?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:28 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking
TfL wrote:
In 2012...37 per cent of KSIs were pedestrians, 22 per cent were cyclists and 21 per cent were motorcyclists...

Is there a pedestrian safety action plan and a cyclist safety action plan also? I ask as those two appear more dangerous than riding a motorcycle in London.

Thinking now if only we had a national motorcycle interest group to argue for/against these plans in the motorcyclist interest. Perhaps with an motorcycle riding ex-MP as it's communications person. Nah!, will never happen Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish they'd stop with the KSI stat! Of course motorcyclists are gonna be a huge share of KSIs when a KSI can be a grazed knee!

Serious injury implies a long recovery time or permanent damage. A broken finger or even arm should not be classed as a serious injury unless there are other complications.

I suggest a new injury class of YBR (You'll Be 'Rite). Anyone who walks out of hospital with everything still attached within 48hrs should be considered YBR'd

Like most motorcyclists I don't care about a quick trip to hospital, but I do care if the only way I leave is inside other people after donating...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what the hell do they call that scale in fig 1 !?!

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:01 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
And what the hell do they call that scale in fig 1 !?!

logarithmic!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
logarithmic!

Ok, fair point. It doesn't really assist in the presentation of data though does it...

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:15 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
slowlydoesit wrote:
logarithmic!

Ok, fair point. It doesn't really assist in the presentation of data though does it...

Difficult to fit it all on one chart otherwise but visually hard to interpret in my experience. I would have tried something different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
It doesn't really assist in the presentation of data though does it...

It assists perfectly.

It suits the presentation of the data in a method they want.

Changing of scale is a simple, effective and common way of misrepresenting data.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you ever get the feeling you derailed a thread with a throw away rhetorical comment?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:20 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
Do you ever get the feeling you derailed a thread with a throw away rhetorical comment?

Fire bad, tree pretty.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:35 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
daemonoid wrote:
Fire bad, tree pretty.

...and that neatly sums up the Scottish Referendum Debate.
Sorry, what was the thread topic?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:19 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are using logarithmic scale for the miles, they should really do it for the number of injuries as well.

LessIsMore
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:31 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Is there a pedestrian safety action plan and a cyclist safety action plan also? I ask as those two appear more dangerous than riding a motorcycle in London.

Of course!

cycling (PDF)
pedestrian (PDF)

However, those groups are less likely than motorcyclists to have caused their own accident, and are even more vulnerable to cars.

daemonoid wrote:
I just wish they'd stop with the KSI stat! Of course motorcyclists are gonna be a huge share of KSIs when a KSI can be a grazed knee!

Friction burns are specifically excluded in the definition.

daemonoid wrote:
Serious injury implies a long recovery time or permanent damage. A broken finger or even arm should not be classed as a serious injury unless there are other complications.

Debatable, semantic anyway, and pretty irrelevant since who cares what they’re called – the people suffer injuries they’d rather not suffer as a result of an accident.

Although this document is generally well-written and interesting, I had to laugh at the pound cost placed on human pain and grief on page 6.

Other titbits for anyone interested but too lazy to read:

• the number of registered motorcycles in London has gone up for a decade, while new motorcycle sales have dropped. Means average bike age is getting older (page 6). (Anyone know why?)
• scooter share has dropped from 59 % to 47 % from 2000 to 2010. Bikes getting bigger (page 7)
• especially high volume of motorcycle traffic from south and west into centre (page 7)
• 61 % of motorcycle journeys are commuting to work (page 7)
• young motorcyclists are much more likely than older ones to be killed or seriously injured. 15–19 year olds are 10 × more likely to be KSI than 40–44 year olds. Steady decline from 20 to 39 (pages 8–9)
• 10 × more male than female riders KSI, mostly because much more male bikers but also because men more likely to be KSI per km travelled. Blacks and Asians have 4 × greater risk (!) for reasons not given (page 10)
• black spots include Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham, Greenwich, Bexley. For some reason, places like Barking & Dagenham, Newham, Havering have a much lower risk (e.g. one-quarter the risk of those black spots!) (page 11)
• although other vehicles turning into path of biker caused most accidents, fully 40 % of fatalities happened because biker lost control of own bike with no other vehicle involved. In half of those, biker had excessive speed (page 12)
• where other vehicles turn into path, motorcycle was sometimes going too fast, sometimes overtaking another vehicle, and often filtering (i.e. hard to spot). Also, because bikes are narrow, cagers are tricked by perspective into thinking they’re farther away than they really are (page 13). Lights and high-vis clothing (retch) help
• you’ll never believe this, but speeding kills (pages 13–14)
• eyeballing a bunch of figures, protective gear prevents a given injury in very roughly 20 % of accidents – if worn. Presumably it also reduces the severity of injuries suffered (pages 14–15)
• lots of bikers, about a third, admit to speeding. Significant minority habitually speed (page 16).

There you go.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The figure that I'm taking away from this is that only 19% of motorcyclists are at fault.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LessIsMore wrote:
Debatable, semantic anyway, and pretty irrelevant since who cares what they’re called – the people suffer injuries they’d rather not suffer as a result of an accident.

Everything is semantics, but there's a big difference between a broken arm which will heal in 3-6weeks and losing a limb or dying. That is why KSI sucks as a measure... Killed or serious injury invokes ideas of death or life threatening / long term injury. Lumping much more minor injuries in with it skews the stats to the point they're meaningless.

I was KSI'd just the other day... KSI'd in the foot and yet I went skiing the next day.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
The figure that I'm taking away from this is that only 19% of motorcyclists are at fault.

When they collide with cars... They're at fault the 40% of the time that they crash all by themselves.

LessIsMore
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:29 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
They're at fault the 40% of the time that they crash all by themselves.

Who’s at fault the other 60 % of the time?

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, will somebody please nuke all the quangos, the action groups, the lobbyists, the deceitest hidden agenda fuck you in the ass without lube assholes who slither and slide their way up into positions of influence over everybody else who are not even aware of their existence and influence until it is too late.

Disclaimer: Might not strictly be related solely to the topic at hand Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:36 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LessIsMore wrote:
daemonoid wrote:

Brussels. Folded arms

LessIsMore
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:53 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LessIsMore wrote:
daemonoid wrote:

I thought this was funny, but it turns out I misread what you said (thought you’d said they were at fault 40 % of the time they crashed by themselves). Sorry about that.

Question for someone who knows the law (I don’t): who’s at fault if a motorcyclist is cruising through a 30 MPH zone at 50 MPH, and someone turns right in front of the bike, SMIDSY-style? Because if the motorcyclist shares the fault in that case (as opposed to merely committing a separate offence of speeding), then London motorcyclists are at least partly to blame for their KSI accidents much more often than the 19 % of the time dydey90 talks about.

Anyway, the incredibly different KSI statistics for different groups of motorcylists shows you can do a lot to prevent yourself being slaughtered on the road, regardless of who’s at fault. That’s encouraging.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 03 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

And the fact that on table 1 which lists the five most common 'conflict types', three show cages to be at fault whereas only one is blaming the biker.
The other one is just vague.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LessIsMore wrote:
I thought this was funny, but it turns out I misread what you said (thought you’d said they were at fault 40 % of the time they crashed by themselves). Sorry about that.

Question for someone who knows the law (I don’t): who’s at fault if a motorcyclist is cruising through a 30 MPH zone at 50 MPH, and someone turns right in front of the bike, SMIDSY-style? Because if the motorcyclist shares the fault in that case (as opposed to merely committing a separate offence of speeding), then London motorcyclists are at least partly to blame for their KSI accidents much more often than the 19 % of the time dydey90 talks about.

Anyway, the incredibly different KSI statistics for different groups of motorcylists shows you can do a lot to prevent yourself being slaughtered on the road, regardless of who’s at fault. That’s encouraging.

Hah, no problem it took me 3 goes to try to get it clear and succinct. Need to work on the clear.

Not a lawyer, but... fault is determined on a case by case basis. This means that in some cases I've read about motorcyclists have been held partially to blame for filtering accidents due to excess speed. I've not seen 50:50, but they have taken some responsibility. Clearly, if you were travelling at a speed where a reasonable driver could not've seen you and they pull out then you're at fault.

That Lamborghini crash in the news is a great example - the (audi?) pulled out on them, but there is a lot of discussion about excess speed. If the Lambo driver does get pinned at excess speed (the video makes it difficult to estimate) then you can expect him to take a portion of the blame.

TaeKwon125
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:13 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

From figure 1 you can work out how many miles you need to do before you'll likely be killed or seriously injured.

Turns out for my age and being a motorcyclist I have to do 333,333 miles. I'll just do 333,332 then. That's how statistics work right?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2