Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The first time on a supermoto...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: The first time on a supermoto... Reply with quote

Do you feel like your in-line four cylinder superbike got boring after years of riding it? Well, go and have a ride on a supermoto. Try going fast as you'd go on your superbike, try some off-road riding, try going through the town, and so on. After that, sit back on your superbike and I guarantee you're gonna find extra power, extra smoothens of the engine, extra feel of safety sitting low, close to the tar, and the bike will feel like the best thing in the world. When I got back on my ZXR, it felt like the moment I rode it for the very first time. So much power, so fast, so powerful brakes and loads of stability while grinning like an idiot overtaking everyone and everything with no effort. Razz

I wanted a KLR, modified to supermoto. Now, I'm only glad I had a ride on the FMX first. I shall never buy anything that stupid and dangerous. I still can not believe how much money people spend on those things, that are slow, dangerous and tiring.

Thoughts:
Well, it is better than walking, I guess. It's not suitable for the tar, it's quite challenging to go slow without hard plucking. The 5 speed gearbox was made to piss me off. When you think you're going fast enough and shift up, the engine starts to do unpleasant stuff so you shift down again, because it feels like the crank's gonna fly through the engine. Vibes are unbearable and everywhere, going slow or fast, does not matter. Down shifting, well that's one odd and scary thing to do at any speed, the engine is too slow to blip the throttle and every down shift kicks you like a horse, I can't imagine going on it in rain.

Speaking of single cylinder motorcycles, I find the MZ 150 better. Confused Laughing

Just to see, how tall it is. You're sitting like a king in the castle on it, trying to hold the bars so the wind won't blow you off when at ''speed'' on the tar.
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/FMX%20650/DSC07971_zps172b4531.jpg

I'm 6'3
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/FMX%20650/DSC07997_zps31e0030c.jpg

AND, my the very first off road experience, scary stuff on those ''slick'' tyres. Neutral When I hit grass and downshifted, the rear wheel locked right away, which was a bit fun. The odd thing is, you can't even blip the throttle to prevent that from happening.

https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/FMX%20650/DSC07998_zps8673a561.jpg

https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/FMX%20650/DSC08002_zps5881b1d1.jpg

https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/FMX%20650/DSC08004_zps4c4e2ca5.jpg

https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/FMX%20650/DSC08005_zpsb8d0f370.jpg

Hats off to all of you, that can ride those things in any conditions fast with confidence. Smile

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair you picked a poor bike to get a feel for supermoto's on, and converting a KLR to SM is an even worse idea Laughing The FMX is heavy and slow can't blame you for not having fun.

SM's in general are quite focused, you need the right roads for them or you'll be bored. Plus they are crap off road, there's no grip what do you expect?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:01 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That definitely isn't super. However people still go for them, heavy and underpowered, much like my old TTR.

I've ridden only a few, but the 1 to stick in my head was the YZ450F... That thing was a beast Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:14 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved my KTM 690 SM to bits and still miss it, used it all year round in all weather commuting 35 miles to work which most was motorways. Yes it lacked high speed and protection but around town it was light and fun plus it looked cool Cool

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back tyre looks a little flat in that second picture, unless it's just the angle, probably didn't help the handling or grip issues if it was flat though.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice description. riding my brothers DL650 is like that, thought it gives a huge amount of confidence tipping in, feels fast, but is slow. Any acceleration extends the forks about a mile, so it feels like going backwards. Getting back on the CBR6 is like fucking a midget Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Back tyre looks a little flat in that second picture, unless it's just the angle, probably didn't help the handling or grip issues if it was flat though.

It was a bit low, but even after I got the right pressure, it was still quite the same. Thumbs Down

I put there 2.0f/2.2r bar, was not sure how much pressure could the tubes handle.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
To be fair you picked a poor bike to get a feel for supermoto's on, and converting a KLR to SM is an even worse idea Laughing The FMX is heavy and slow can't blame you for not having fun.

SM's in general are quite focused, you need the right roads for them or you'll be bored. Plus they are crap off road, there's no grip what do you expect?

Well, it's not like I'm gonna buy a SM or have a ride on any other any soon. I only had a go on the FMX, because my mate bought it. I'm sure I'd never buy one. I kind of expected the bike to be more like those SM's on youtube. Embarassed

I mean, it has got a huge cylinder with a huge piston, what's there not to like? Well, now I know what. They say one shall never meet his heroes, I guess this was the case.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, when you get back on the road bike it feels like it has almost no suspension, and every imperfection in the road jars your spine and rattles your teeth. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding a Honda FMX650 "Funmoto" and berating supermotos is like riding a fully faired Suzuki Bandit 600 and saying sportsbikes are rubbish. The FMX is a supermoto shaped commuter bike but is far removed from what people are describing when they talk about a proper supermoto.

Try dropping 50kg and adding 30bhp to the FMX as well as having decent suspension, massive brakes and proper grippy tyres and you're getting close. I always wanted a supermoto despite never riding one and then I let me friend talk me into having a go on his Husaberg FS650C supermoto. I've been begging him to sell it to me since as it was properly insane. I've ridden quite a few bikes from commuters, trailies, sportsbikes, muscle bikes, cruisers, MX bikes and even (shamefully) scooters. But that ride on the Husaberg I rode was one of the most memorable I've had in terms of being impressed by a bike. I'd have one in a second and I'm actually quite sure that my next bike will be a supermoto (unless it's an MX bike in which case a supermoto will follow shortly after Laughing).

If you get the chance to ride a decent supermoto then try it again, I'd be surprised if you felt the same way afterwards.

Just a note on taking them off road and converting a KLR to SM trim - You wouldn't take your sportsbike off road with slick tyres and expect good grip would you? The dirt/jumps parts in supermoto tracks tend to be very well groomed and the corners are generally bermed (banked) as well as being a minority part of the track. Controlling the odd drift to a good supermoto rider isn't really a problem so the slicks are fine if you know what you're doing! I used to have a KLR600 and it was rather slow and heavy for a trailie - it would be on par or worse than the FMX, don't do it!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
On the other hand, when you get back on the road bike it feels like it has almost no suspension, and every imperfection in the road jars your spine and rattles your teeth. Laughing

The ZXR has very good suspension system, it's very responsive and confident even on bad tarmac, gives me a lot of feedback and makes me feel safe at way higher pace. The FMX was like riding a kayak on a wild river. Laughing

KLR600 wrote:
Riding a Honda FMX650 "Funmoto" and berating supermotos is like riding a fully faired Suzuki Bandit 600 and saying sportsbikes are rubbish. The FMX is a supermoto shaped commuter bike but is far removed from what people are describing when they talk about a proper supermoto.

Try dropping 50kg and adding 30bhp to the FMX as well as having decent suspension, massive brakes and proper grippy tyres and you're getting close. I always wanted a supermoto despite never riding one and then I let me friend talk me into having a go on his Husaberg FS650C supermoto. I've been begging him to sell it to me since as it was properly insane. I've ridden quite a few bikes from commuters, trailies, sportsbikes, muscle bikes, cruisers, MX bikes and even (shamefully) scooters. But that ride on the Husaberg I rode was one of the most memorable I've had in terms of being impressed by a bike. I'd have one in a second and I'm actually quite sure that my next bike will be a supermoto (unless it's an MX bike in which case a supermoto will follow shortly after Laughing).

If you get the chance to ride a decent supermoto then try it again, I'd be surprised if you felt the same way afterwards.

Just a note on taking them off road and converting a KLR to SM trim - You wouldn't take your sportsbike off road with slick tyres and expect good grip would you? The dirt/jumps parts in supermoto tracks tend to be very well groomed and the corners are generally bermed (banked) as well as being a minority part of the track. Controlling the odd drift to a good supermoto rider isn't really a problem so the slicks are fine if you know what you're doing! I used to have a KLR600 and it was rather slow and heavy for a trailie - it would be on par or worse than the FMX, don't do it!

Well, you are right, I'd never take my superbike offroad since the oil pan is way too close to the ground. As I've said, I expected a bit more from that huge single cylinder engine and I'm only glad I got disappointed on someone else's bike before I wasted any money. The FMX is the first motorcycle I had a ride on that I haven't liked. I was once offered the Husaberg FS650C in exchange for my CB-1 back in the day, but I never liked the idea of having something that needs rebuild every couple of months. I could easily buy a two stroke and have even more reliable bike than the Husaberg.

I want to try XBR500, SR500 and SRX600, maybe BSA500 if lucky, but I guess it'd be the same story, as the FMX now. Confused
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air cooled single cylinders are always underpowered, that is the first give away. Just shy of 40bhp from 650cc? Confused KTM manage 65 on the 690 SMC (654cc), that is more of a bike that would make you go home and list yours straight on ebay.

I'm sure my DRZ would run circles around the FMX. 23kg lighter, 5bhp more, sticky tyres and loud exhaust all you need Very Happy

Last edited by Irn-Bru on 11:27 - 08 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything comes down to the individual taste of its owner, rider.

I'm not saying the Triumph is a bad motorcycle because the Bandit I was on, was, well better than walking. But it is possible that when/if I'm gonna have a go on the Triumph, I won't like it. I don't even like the CBR919RR which used to be the benchmark for every sport bike once. I know it's far superior to my ZXR, but I still find the ZXR better motorcycle, I mean as the whole package. Thumbs Up

EDIT: My mate is after a Street triple, so I might gonna have a opinion on this motorcycle, soon. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:32 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My triple is like a faster revvy supermoto. It wheelies like mad and goes like stink.

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:59 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This little sweetie is getting road registered over the winter when I've done a few bits to get it right. May or may not SuMo but it'll be a laugh either way Smile

https://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv258/L339EFX/IMG_20140121_121634.jpg

Circa 59hp, 400cc 2 Stroke Rotax... nom nom nom.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it Drooling

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a V twin in supermotard is much better all round..
but I`m biased Wink

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:40 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
I think a V twin in supermotard is much better all round..
but I`m biased Wink

Really disliked the bulky handling of the 796, its heavier and far less "throw about like an arse" than most sumos Neutral

A shade over 170kg dry
80hp

Sad

or...

https://www.ams4ktm.co.uk/images/thumbs/0191832.jpg

140kg dry
66hp

Mr. Green

and better still...

https://databikes.com/imgs/a/c/t/c/g/maico__500_2011_1_lgw.jpg

101kg dry
82hp

Shocked

I know which one would be more fun... and its not the overpriced Italian style machine.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet you at hartside one day and swap bikes if you want, I think the 40kg weight difference will be massively noticeable on the pass Smile

The newer 690's are 70bhp I think and do 80mpg somehow.

The bad lad sm for me and one I nearly bought is the SXV 550 Drooling
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There can be only one!"

https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/bennyboy73/SXV_450_550.jpg

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve had a number of singles a DR600 & DRZ 400 bein some of them,
never noticed the weight of the 796 but its quicker ( overtakin on a straight road 60- 90 ) and smoother the vibration of singles used to cause vision blur when pushed hard...
also I suspect my usage and therefore requirements are different to yours...

Last edited by Copycat73 on 14:17 - 09 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:15 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
I`ve had a number of singles a DR600 & DRZ 400 bein some of them,
never noticed the weight of the 796 but its quicker and smoother the vibration of singles used to cause vision blur when pushed hard...
also my usage and requirements are different to yours...

My usage is commuting, fun and touring.

I've used a TTR600 for all.
I've used an R1 for all.

A bike is transport, it does everything a car would. So if your needs is "ornamental piece" then yeah, it differs Wink

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ornament ... don`t think so !!!
every bike I`ve got gets used ... but no one bike ticks all the boxes that's why I keep 3....
and I am not givin up me 4 wheel transport either.. I`ve done the weekly shoppin thing on a bike .. never again..

Last edited by Copycat73 on 14:23 - 09 Aug 2014; edited 2 times in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2