Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rieju RS1 Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:27 - 05 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update on the build..

I fitted the yokes with all new headstock bearings but something I'd overlooked was the top nut! I'd forgotten what state it was in until I took it out of the bag of bits

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0693_zpsdfd6e0ea.jpg

Couldn't go back on like that and I hadn't bought a new one so set to it with some sanding and polishing and although it's far from perfect, it's good enough to go back on

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0694_zps74296c0a.jpg

The engine is back in with new sprocket fitted.

Headlight bracket is on, I had to do quite a bit of work to it. It had been badly bent, snapped at the front and corroded like the rest of the frame but the worst bit was the area where it bolted to the frame. That was where the 'welding' had previously been done that had melted the wiring loom and ignition barrel - I've seen some bad welding in my time but this was a serious mess! Had to fibreglass over that entire area to make smooth, it's obviously not how they are originally but I couldn't think of any other way of dealing with all the pigeon shit everywhere and that area is visible even when the bike is fully built so needed to do something with it. Anyway I had a weld done where it was snapped, straightened the whole thing up then once everything was rubbed down I gave it a few coats of hammerite and it came it okay really.

Also got the bars and switchgear on, new grips and new ignition barrel so this is how the build is looking as of today.

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0698_zpsf7e27a30.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0700_zps7a144cb9.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0701_zps95ceb0b4.jpg

Also got the forks painted and clear coated today so they can go on this weekend.

Primed
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0696_zps9c7cd13c.jpg

Painted
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0697_zpse7df7645.jpg

Jobs for this weekend will be to get the rear shock painted and the headlight repaired (badly scuffed) and whatever else I can find time for.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 05 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The finish on all the sprayed stuff is stunning, amazing job so far Thumbs Up

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:32 - 05 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
The finish on all the sprayed stuff is stunning, amazing job so far Thumbs Up

Thanks mate!

Things do seem to be going fairly smoothly at the moment and I'm pretty happy with progress. Only real uncertainty / concern at the moment is where I'm going to spray the fairing and tank. Too big an area to be spraying in the garden really, if nothing else am pretty sure I'll upset some neighbours with that much 2k floating around! Confused

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 06 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that if you sell this on when it's done, it will be some 16yr olds wet dream fantasy for months I reckon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 06 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, good to see a few small bikes getting decent treatment recently Thumbs Up

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 06 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this Thumbs Up

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:57 - 06 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
All I can say is that if you sell this on when it's done, it will be some 16yr olds wet dream fantasy for months I reckon!

Partly my thinking actually Wink

I'm probably going to run it until I sell my car as part of the reason for getting on with this project now is to cut my fuel costs. I run an L200 pickup and it doesn't like to go past fuel stations so this will be my runner for any trips where I don't need to drag a couple of tonnes of metal with me.
Once the car is sold I'll treat myself to a big bike (probably not a project), sell the Rieju to a 16 year old and get another small bike project, either another 50 or a 125. Small bikes are dead easy to work on and equally easy to sell on Thumbs Up

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:14 - 06 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just_James wrote:

Things do seem to be going fairly smoothly at the moment

.... well what a stupid thing to say!

Bit of deja vu of last weekend today.... pissing it down so won't be getting much done today.... but wait..... a parcel arrives..... things are looking up!

It's a long awaited order...

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0702_zpsf3e57953.jpg

New pegs, new left and right mirrors, new discs front and rear, new rear lens and factory decal kit! Very Happy Happy days!

.... but wait.... that front disc looks big... it is and it's the wrong one! Sad

Lets check out the shiny new decal kit then.... oh.... there are a few decals missing and the one for the headlight surround is creased Crying or Very sad

An email has been sent but not sure how they will deal with this. I've had to wait a while for this lot as the front disc had to be ordered from the factory and the decal kit is new old stock and are obviously like rocking horse shit.

Not happy! Going to abandon the bike for today and go and do some grouting for my Mum - that'll cheer me up Neutral

paddlesat16
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:27 - 07 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little project, excellent work. Very Happy

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:44 - 07 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pal Very Happy

So today I'm in a slightly better mood, the sun is shining and I don't have a blazing hangover like yesterday so I'm forgetting about the cock up with the decals etc for now and getting a bit more done on the bike.

I want to tackle the headlight which has been badly scuffed and worn from rubbing on the fairing due to bent and broken headlight bracket.

The pictures don't really show it but it's not just surface scratching and has actually worn an indent into the plastic.

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4759_zps9bb47d1a.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4760_zps5a013abd.jpg

I need to get the plastic down level and smooth again so start by hitting it with some 240s grit

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4762_zpsa9a520ba.jpg

I then wet flat it with some 600s

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4763_zps17f21c09.jpg

Then wet flat it with 2000s

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4764_zps4b85cd1d.jpg

I then fit back on the bike so I can machine polish it with some G3 and then some G6

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4765_zps1ce02447.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4766_zps7ee833b0.jpg

Another job down! Happy days Very Happy

Also set to getting the rear shock painted today but my trusty gold aerosol ran out so will get that finished another day.

I fitted the forks, gave the rad and hoses a thorough flushing through (they needed it!!) and refitted then also fitted the air box and oil tank so it's starting to slowly resemble a bike again

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4771_zps3d9dcfee.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4773_zpsb0f7487b.jpg

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 07 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As them Northern folk say Thass a proper job That

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 07 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning, absolutely stunning!

Just goes to show what some elbow grease and determination will do. I think you should go for black with the wheels as the black/gold theme prevents much else matching with it. What colour were you going to do the fairings in?

Seriously man, you have worked magic on a proper dog of a bike.

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:49 - 07 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Stunning, absolutely stunning!

Just goes to show what some elbow grease and determination will do. I think you should go for black with the wheels as the black/gold theme prevents much else matching with it. What colour were you going to do the fairings in?

Seriously man, you have worked magic on a proper dog of a bike.

Thanks mate Cool

It certainly was a dog to start with but that's what makes a fun project, also...... a dog is much easier to improve upon Wink Laughing

I know what you're saying about the gold and black but bear in mind you're only really looking at the skeleton of it and there won't necessarily be that much gold showing and only the main part of the black frame will be visible once the fairing is back on. It is only really the forks and yokes that have gone gold instead of silver and generally gold will work just as well with most colours as silver will.

The colour choice for the fairing has been up in the air for a while and I've gone through various options looking at different pearl metallics etc and thinking of doing something a bit different. I then came across somewhere that (supposedly) had some original decal kits, got speaking to the guy in parts and he said the only one they had that was 'complete' was (and purely by coincidence) the original one that was on this bike! It was like fate and so I ordered it and in the mean time bought the basecoats to match (red and silver as in pic on page 1) so that was the plan - original colours for the fairing with factory decal kit.
And that's why I was somewhat miffed yesterday, to see when it finally arrived, the kit is incomplete and damaged Sad
There is no way I would have chosen silver and dogs knob red to do the fairing and tank in if it wasn't for the decal kit to break it all up so not sure what will happen now. Will have to wait and see what the reply to my email is but am basically expecting an offer of a refund on return of the incomplete decal kit which will take me back to square one with choice of colour/s and leave me with some basecoat that I don't want (and it's not cheap!) Crying or Very sad

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 08 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work on the headlight too. I would have binned that, most likely.

You're actually an artist and for me to impart that kind of praise astonishes even me as I'm usually so underwhelmed by everything but the improvement to that bike is jaw-dropping.

I just wish it was a bigger machine so I could offer to buy it from you! Very Happy

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 08 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

British racing green metallic goes very well with black and gold IMO! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:23 - 08 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Beautiful work on the headlight too. I would have binned that, most likely.

You're actually an artist and for me to impart that kind of praise astonishes even me as I'm usually so underwhelmed by everything but the improvement to that bike is jaw-dropping.

I just wish it was a bigger machine so I could offer to buy it from you! Very Happy

Wow, thanks for the comments! Shocked

Wouldn't consider myself anything like an artist... think it's more a case of OCD than anything really Laughing
I enjoy doing this kind of stuff and the challenge of any kind of restoration is a fun hobby for me but it is always a bonus to have someone else respect what you're doing Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:28 - 08 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when you'll be down to sort the NTV in the garden. Shocked

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:33 - 08 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
British racing green metallic goes very well with black and gold IMO! Wink

I would tend to agree but possibly not on this kind of bike Confused

Green, black and gold would look great on some bikes but I want this to have more of a sports / race look which is where I think decals make a huge difference.
I've not heard anything back about the decal kit today and until I do, I'm keeping hope I can stick with the plan of the factory look.

I've also hit a new stumbling block today, I was getting ready to paint the rear shock but after removing the spring and inspecting closely it was seeping some oil... I gave the damper a good working back and forth and managed to break it properly - seals are fooked Crying or Very sad
Better that than paint it all up and put back on bike to find out but still a problem I could have done without. Pretty much at my max budget with this bike now and have just had to do some spending on my truck for the MOT so the build is now pretty much on hold until I can find a 255mm rear shock thats free or cheaper Sad

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 08 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point mate!

You need the kind of colour scheme that a 16yr old would be jizzing over, as it's likely you will have a queue beating your door down when you decide to sell!

What were the original Rieju colour options like for this bike?

I seem to remember the RR50 trail bike had some very bright colour schemes. Maybe swap the BRG for RS Focus green with some purple stripes etc, would make it down with the Kids then!

I remember the Rare RR125 they made in 97-99 I think, and it had a 10bhp Gas Gas 2stroke trials engine. I wonder if they ever tried fitting one into the RS1? I still want to one day have something like a Mito as a project, but with a 300cc 2stroke trials engine just to see what it's be like?

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:58 - 08 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Let me know when you'll be down to sort the NTV in the garden. Shocked

Laughing

Think this will be my first and last 'garden' project!

I didn't mention it at the start of the thread but 2 weeks after picking up the Rieju and having the buzz of having a project bike..... I came home with this in the back of the van

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0628_zps1f16afcf.jpg

Missus hit the roof!! Laughing apparently it wasn't cool to have 2 bikes in the garden, a car that's taken up the garage for 5 years and money needed spending on bills... or something... I dunno, I wasn't really listening but she wasn't happy!

So after having 2 bikes rotting away in the garden for twelve months, I decided to part with one and pay some of those bill things. The GPZ had to go, real shame as I had great plans for it, it was low miles, ran great and had a full stainless system on it... but the Rieju was here first an I wanted a little bike project. Sold (or rather gave away) the GPZ to a really sound young lad who was local and wanted it as a first project, he got a great deal but I was happy for it to go to him, reminded me of a younger self Cool
Cheeky sod though, said "I'll be back next summer to buy that Rieju project off you too" .... which is partly what spurred me on to make a start with it Laughing

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:13 - 08 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Good point mate!

You need the kind of colour scheme that a 16yr old would be jizzing over, as it's likely you will have a queue beating your door down when you decide to sell!

What were the original Rieju colour options like for this bike?

I seem to remember the RR50 trail bike had some very bright colour schemes. Maybe swap the BRG for RS Focus green with some purple stripes etc, would make it down with the Kids then!

I remember the Rare RR125 they made in 97-99 I think, and it had a 10bhp Gas Gas 2stroke trials engine. I wonder if they ever tried fitting one into the RS1? I still want to one day have something like a Mito as a project, but with a 300cc 2stroke trials engine just to see what it's be like?

From what I'm aware of there were 7 colour options - the red and silver like mine, blue and yellow, blue and red (probably the best looking), black, red and graphite, yellow and graphite, blue and graphite - for each one though, it was the decals that made them and without those, the colour schemes are just arse Thumbs Down

I know the RR125s were quite rare, I've never seen one but didn't they have issues with overheating being a trials bike engine?

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:53 - 08 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there were more than 7 as there were the Castrol colours too (may have been others)

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/file.php/2/74397/IMG_0692.JPG

Looks nice but again, it's the decals that make it, without those it's pretty much a white bike with a red nose and front mudguard.

Looking at that image though, it highlights my point that the black and gold of the frame and forks are not really significant as the colours of the bike will be dominated by the tank, fairing and wheels

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:02 - 09 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been on the search for a replacement rear shock and have come up with a few possibilities...

There is one original one on the fleabay - doesn't look good to me though Confused looks to have some pitting and losing oil so probably no better than mine
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIEJU-RS1-50-EVOLUTION-1997-to-2004-REAR-SHOCK-SUSPENSION-/121359484119?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1c4196c4d7

Apparently one from a CBR125 is only 5mm longer, there are loads of them on the bay for £25ish. From what I can tell though they have no adjustment at all Confused
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201036531982?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There is this one from an RS2 125, approx' 10mm longer but more of a quality shock - is 10mm just going to alter the geometry too much? or is it not going to make a huge difference on a little bike?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191312320100?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Opinions and/or alternative (inexpensive) options welcomed and appreciated Cool

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 09 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it will alter the geometry but as plenty of people raise or lower bikes by far more than 10mm without crashing and killing a basket full of kittens I'd consider it a reasonable option.

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:20 - 09 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outcome will be alot more than 10mm , I would expect 40-50mm at the wheel.....

Easiest way to see is to leave the engine / frame supported in the middle as you have in the pictures, pop back wheel in and original shock on ONE BOLT, then lower the swingarm so the bolt holes in the swingarm are 10mm below the ones in the shock.

Tie it with a bit of string / wire etc so you can stand back and look.
Bit fiddly not very accurate - but you could make a guess...

I made my brother some dogbones for his fj1200, 15mm longer than original and it came out as over a 2" drop on the back end, we worked it out as below....

To come up with a measurement you will need:

A straight edge as long as the swingarm,

A large piece of paper / card
or some felt tips and a clean kitchen worktop ( and a need to do some serious grovelling later if they don't wash off)

Tape Measure

Draw a straight line the same length as the swingarm, pivot to axle
( measure from the centre of rear axle - to centre of swingarm pivot bolt )
(black line on paint diagram)

Now measure from the centre of swingarm pivot bolt to the centre of the lower bolt on the shock absorber ( where it joins the swingarm )

Go back to your card and transfer this measurement with a "X", dot, or perpendicular line etc. (X on paint piccy)

If you put a straight edge back over your original line and rotate it from the swingarm pivot end, you can measure the distance at point "X" ( blue line in paint diagram )to be the difference between shocks, in your case 10mm BELOW your original line. I went up over in paint piccy as I started near bottom of page Embarassed this would be a shorter shock

Then draw along the straight edge, or at least mark a point them same length as your first line ( the distance between the swingarm pivot and the rear axle) and you can measure between this point and the original point and see how much drop / raise you will get....
(yellow line on paint pic)

Hopefully you can understand this with the help of my ultra hi-tech 3d computer imagery (shite paint pic) Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12