Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rieju RS1 Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:40 - 09 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavcarter wrote:
The outcome will be alot more than 10mm , I would expect 40-50mm at the wheel.....

Easiest way to see is to leave the engine / frame supported in the middle as you have in the pictures, pop back wheel in and original shock on ONE BOLT, then lower the swingarm so the bolt holes in the swingarm are 10mm below the ones in the shock.

Tie it with a bit of string / wire etc so you can stand back and look.
Bit fiddly not very accurate - but you could make a guess...

I made my brother some dogbones for his fj1200, 15mm longer than original and it came out as over a 2" drop on the back end, we worked it out as below....

To come up with a measurement you will need:

A straight edge as long as the swingarm,

A large piece of paper / card
or some felt tips and a clean kitchen worktop ( and a need to do some serious grovelling later if they don't wash off)

Tape Measure

Draw a straight line the same length as the swingarm, pivot to axle
( measure from the centre of rear axle - to centre of swingarm pivot bolt )
(black line on paint diagram)

Now measure from the centre of swingarm pivot bolt to the centre of the lower bolt on the shock absorber ( where it joins the swingarm )

Go back to your card and transfer this measurement with a "X", dot, or perpendicular line etc. (X on paint piccy)

If you put a straight edge back over your original line and rotate it from the swingarm pivot end, you can measure the distance at point "X" ( blue line in paint diagram )to be the difference between shocks, in your case 10mm BELOW your original line. I went up over in paint piccy as I started near bottom of page Embarassed this would be a shorter shock

Then draw along the straight edge, or at least mark a point them same length as your first line ( the distance between the swingarm pivot and the rear axle) and you can measure between this point and the original point and see how much drop / raise you will get....
(yellow line on paint pic)

Hopefully you can understand this with the help of my ultra hi-tech 3d computer imagery (shite paint pic) Rolling Eyes

Okay, thanks for that! Cool Very useful information! Thumbs Up

Think I will have a basic mock up of it tomorrow and see roughly how it would look to start with.

Obviously it would end up jacked up at the back to some extent with that shock on and I don't really have a concern about that aesthetically (unless it was excessive) but would it create any other problems - with the chain for example?
Not done any kind of modification like that on a bike before so it's all rather unknown territory for me Embarassed

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:02 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be enough adjustment in the rear axle to take care of any chain issues.
Chains usually suffer more on lowered bikes as ( generally) they will get pulled tighter, sometimes need an extra link or two.

One thing with raised back ends and chains, is usually the side stand, it gets closer to the chain the more you jack it up. If you find it does touch the chain now and then, dont pull the chain tighter to clear it, usually the trick is to glue a couple of thin washers or put a small bead of weld on the side stand hinge so it can only travel so far up. You have to be careful though as, if it cant travel far enough up then the springs don't have enough tension to hold it up...

If the back is too high the bike will handle funny, rear will probably feel a bit skittish and seem to "fall over" into turns.
On a bike that's small to start with it probably wont be too bad, I'm guessing the swingarm is relatively short aswell so it might not be that big of a raise to start with.

I think you will get away with it all to be honest as you should only be raising it about 30-40mm with a 10mm shock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:46 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavcarter wrote:
There should be enough adjustment in the rear axle to take care of any chain issues.
Chains usually suffer more on lowered bikes as ( generally) they will get pulled tighter, sometimes need an extra link or two.

One thing with raised back ends and chains, is usually the side stand, it gets closer to the chain the more you jack it up. If you find it does touch the chain now and then, dont pull the chain tighter to clear it, usually the trick is to glue a couple of thin washers or put a small bead of weld on the side stand hinge so it can only travel so far up. You have to be careful though as, if it cant travel far enough up then the springs don't have enough tension to hold it up...

If the back is too high the bike will handle funny, rear will probably feel a bit skittish and seem to "fall over" into turns.
On a bike that's small to start with it probably wont be too bad, I'm guessing the swingarm is relatively short aswell so it might not be that big of a raise to start with.

I think you will get away with it all to be honest as you should only be raising it about 30-40mm with a 10mm shock

Thanks again for the advice Thumbs Up

I decided this morning to quickly make a couple of new shocks for comparison (out of some timber baton Laughing ) - one at 255mm and one at 265mm

So... here's how it is at 255mm

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4788_zpsbe450be2.jpg

And then at 265mm

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4786_zpsb40bed19.jpg

Probably more of a noticeable difference than I was expecting but think I'm going to take a punt at an RS2 shock and just see how I go with it - worse case scenario if I'm not happy with it is to clean it up and resell it so shouldn't really have much to lose

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:06 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to be a about a 2" rise, go with it see how it handles.

If you have chain and sprockets throw them on loosely, just to double check chain clearance on bottom side, could be just the picture angle but looks as though yours may be pretty tight.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:51 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this look?
I just realised I'd forgotten to fit the chain guard on the swinging arm so that's gonna have to come back off anyway Embarassed I used a plastic bag to improvise
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG_4790_zps8a74e35a.jpg

To be honest, now the chain is on I'm feeling pretty confident about it. I don't think there will be any issues with the chain at least and I'm warming to the idea of it being raised at the back... might fit me a bit better Laughing

Just snapped an RS2 Matrix shock for £35 posted so the build resumes Very Happy

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:54 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAAYY to slack lol Laughing Laughing

Is the chain resting on the frame at the bottom? - Just behind rear engine mount...

This is the part where clearance can be an issue, pull back wheel back a bit to get somewhere near normal running tension and see if it lifts off the frame....

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:01 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I know its slack, everything is precariously resting in place! I've not even got the spacers on the back wheel! Laughing Laughing

It doesn't rest on the frame, it did at first and in a big way... and I panicked a bit Embarassed Tried the 255mm and it was still resting on the frame... then I remembered there is a roller that sits behind the gear lever Embarassed I loosely put that in place and all looks fine, not an awful lot of difference between the two

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:07 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just_James wrote:
lol I know its slack, everything is precariously resting in place! I've not even got the spacers on the back wheel! Laughing Laughing

It doesn't rest on the frame, it did at first and in a big way... and I panicked a bit Embarassed Tried the 255mm and it was still resting on the frame... then I remembered there is a roller that sits behind the gear lever Embarassed I loosely put that in place and all looks fine, not an awful lot of difference between the two

Should be fine then, I can see it was sitting on something from the pic, wasn't sure if it was the frame or not, not familiar with bike so didn't know they had a roller fitted.

The roller will help the chain accept a dinner plate sized rear sprocket too - if it wheelies in 1st / 2nd add £300 to the price if buyer is under 17 Wink

Its all looking good waiting for more updates now haha

I spent ages painting my frame all glossy and nice only to scratch the f*** out of it putting the tank on! Drape tea towels over the frame when fitting tank and slide them out afterwards - I wish i did lol

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:20 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavcarter wrote:
Just_James wrote:

Should be fine then, I can see it was sitting on something from the pic, wasn't sure if it was the frame or not, not familiar with bike so didn't know they had a roller fitted.

The roller will help the chain accept a dinner plate sized rear sprocket too - if it wheelies in 1st / 2nd add £300 to the price if buyer is under 17 Wink

Its all looking good waiting for more updates now haha

I spent ages painting my frame all glossy and nice only to scratch the f*** out of it putting the tank on! Drape tea towels over the frame when fitting tank and slide them out afterwards - I wish i did lol

Will probably have a play around with gearing once it's on the road but the new sprockets are stock which I figured would be the best starting place. I only had a brief ride of it before I started pulling it in bits but I have to say... I was very surprised with it and it put a smile on my face! Very Happy

I must admit, even just seeing a few bits loosely back on it again, and with the sun shining, I'm itching to get out on it!

Shouldn't be a problem with scratching the frame with the tank, it just slots in at the front and then single bolt at the back - it's effectively fitted in the pic, I'd only have to put the bolt in.

I will be along with the next update soon but now I'm satisfied I've got a half decent chance with a replacement shock... I need to stop messing with the bike and get some work done! Laughing

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:31 - 13 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update on this as I've got a few jobs done today.

First up - the zorst!.....

Behold the beast!!!!

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0720_zpsfde22fbe.jpg

Laughing Laughing Laughing Embarassed

Okay it's not much to look at but I've put some hours in with this thing! This was obviously not in great shape and if I somehow managed to find another second hand one I couldn't expect it to be in any better condition so I wanted to make sure this was sound and going to last a good number of years.
It had flaking rust all over it so I first took the whole thing down to shiny metal with a knot wheel. This presented some pin prick holes (was expecting much worse) at the front end of the expansion chamber where the metal was wafer thin, I then opened up all the holes back to thick metal and dropped it with my welder mate..... he did some swearing Laughing
He welded up all the holes and completely reinforced the front section and all along the seam. This left me with a lot of tedious grinding and shaping but eventually got there then used a full tin of hammerite on it. Although I wanted the protection from the hammerite, I didn't want the glossy finish so left it a week to harden before flatting and today giving a couple of coats of matt black to finish. A lot of work for a little pea shooter but I'm confident it's good for at least 10 years Thumbs Up

Next on my list of jobs was to get the hugger in primer. From memory it didn't need much prep' but when I got it out the shed it was a little worse than I remembered.

It has a few chunks out of it and lots of scuffing etc.

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0712_zps83c112e2.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0713_zps00ef38a4.jpg

Wasn't particularly bothered about those, easy enough to sort but then noticed it had a bit broken of it.... I thought I was all done with the fibreglassing! Evil or Very Mad

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0715_zps424b7b3f.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0716_zps7e6cce8f.jpg

I was tempted to just neatly trim the area but I'd always know it was there and couldn't live with it so set to with some fibreglass to get the basic shape back

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0717_zpscb1d932e.jpg

I then skimmed with chemical metal and roughly sanded to shape

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0718_zps4e3c796b.jpg

I rubbed the rest of it down, filling any areas that needed it then degreased thoroughly. As this part has not been painted previously and I want to colour code it, the prep' is important if I don't want the paint to fall off a few months down the line so I then spray with an adhesion aid and finally a few coats of epoxy primer.

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0725_zps05914662.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0723_zps94610680.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0724_zpsdd07f278.jpg

While I'm dealing with this I wanted to also tidy up the rear splash guard. Wasn't too much wrong with this but it was scruffy around the indicator mount holes and had a couple of extra holes drilled for something at some point.

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0714_zps4a0e085a.jpg

So I sanded the area down and filled the holes

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0719_zps02a7b1fb.jpg

I then degrease, spray with adhesion aid then gave a mist of texture coating before giving the whole thing a coat of matt black

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0722_zps162e5795.jpg

While I was at it I gave the radiator cowl a freshen up

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0721_zps693127bb.jpg

I'm now pretty sure I'm now finally done with prepping plastics!

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just_James wrote:
How does this look?
I just realised I'd forgotten to fit the chain guard on the swinging arm

Amateur Whistle

You got some Fibreglassing skills though Init!

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:12 - 13 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knacker wrote:
Just_James wrote:
How does this look?
I just realised I'd forgotten to fit the chain guard on the swinging arm

Amateur Whistle

You got some Fibreglassing skills though Init!

LMAO... I'd actually forgotten about that.... and still not sorted it.... job for tomorrow is to get the swinging arm off Embarassed

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What method did you use the fabricate the broken parts such as this? https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0658_zpsfbef4836.jpg

I've a few damaged plastics from a smash. Damage is fairly minor, so I'd like to attempt repair rather than replacement!

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:57 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
What method did you use the fabricate the broken parts such as this? https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0658_zpsfbef4836.jpg

I've a few damaged plastics from a smash. Damage is fairly minor, so I'd like to attempt repair rather than replacement!

Hi, to repair the front mudguard I used much the same method as repairing the hugger. I first got the basic shape with fibreglass bridging compound then skimmed with chemical metal to shape and also reinforce the underside. I didn't try to salvage the holes, just filled the whole area then redrilled the holes once it was all hardened.

Pretty much any plastics can be repaired even when you've got fairly substantial bits missing. It's no dark art either, just takes a little patience more than anything.

A good tip when using fibreglass is to, once you've applied it, put some 2" masking tape over your repair and smooth to the shape you want, you can then just peel it off while the fibreglass is still tacky (but not straight away). Not only does this give you your basic shape but it saves a lot of sanding later, fibreglass is no fun to sand especially if you're doing it by hand!

It's not the best example but I did this when repairing the hugger

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0726_zps6b23f45a.jpg

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more progress?

This thread has made me really want a small bike to fiddle with! One day I'll have a garage, and it shall be filled with all manner of motorcycling glory. One day.

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:16 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress has been a little slow lately. I got the RS2 rear shock but wasn't too happy with it, it was rubbing on the air box which wasn't a major issue in itself but it turned out that although it has an adjuster ring, you can't take the spring out. Wanted to be able to powder coat the spring etc so wasn't happy with it and put to one side.

I found a good original RS1 shock so picked that up, just needs a little tidying then that can go on. Feel a bit better about it being the right one for the bike too.

Once the rear shock is on it's a bit of a milestone really as next job will be to paint the wheels and get it sat back on them. From there, there shouldn't be an awful lot left to do.

Wiring loom is now fitted but as yet, not tested.

Have been trying to sort out my decal dilemma as until that was sorted everything was on hold really as it determined what colour/s the bike was going to be.

As it stands, I'm sticking to my plan of the bike going back to factory colours (mostly) and decals. I have all the graphics for the decals as such...

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0710_zps58292abd.jpg

I also have the headlight surround decal which is not pictured there.
What I'm basically missing are the "RIEJU" decals for tank and lower fairing. I have the one which is pictured in the middle there but am going to have to get 4 new ones made up. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I could get these made without paying silly money?

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far. Why did you use chemical metal? You do realise that it doesn't bond with plastic?

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:10 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
Looking good so far. Why did you use chemical metal? You do realise that it doesn't bond with plastic?

I often use it over fibreglass repairs rather than filler as it is much stronger especially if using around bolt holes etc. I should correct myself though, it is the gel coat repair version of it so isn't actually 'chemical metal' but it's from the same range of the Loctite Plastic Padding stuff.

There are technically better products for the job but, as with the fibreglass, I have some in the garage and so it gets used Very Happy

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:22 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a little update but its more an update of the situation of the project.
Not had time to do any more with the bike over the past week as I've been away at annual meet for the L200 owners club. Got back late last night, work this morning then within an hour of being home I've had someone come and leave a deposit on the MR2 Very Happy .... Smile ..... Neutral .... Sad ..... Crying or Very sad ...... Laughing
Will be a shame to see it go but it means by Wednesday I will have my garage to move the project into Very Happy ... also means I have a little cash to play with to buy another bike. Happy days! Very Happy
Incidentally, the guy whos buying the MR2 collects and restores classic cars and bikes, he turned up on this....

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0735_zps25846f96.jpg

Shocked

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:39 - 02 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's looking like the RS1 build is going to be stalled a little.
The MR2 went on Wednesday so although I can now move the project into the comfort of the garage, I want to spend a little time kitting the garage out with a workbench, vice, pillar drill, welder etc etc . Also got an extraction unit to go in so I can spray in there. It's gonna be a proper man cave Very Happy Thumbs Up

Also... with having an empty space in the garage for a full day and with some cash burning a hole in my pocket.... I found myself picking this up today......

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/IMG00160-20141002-1804_zps1c8a648a.jpg

(the bike! not dog or child!)

.... gonna have to start another project thread Wink

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:27 - 02 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost like the dog is saying "Finish the Rieju first!"

Having said that, the project is coming on nicely, looks cracking and you are putting time, effort (and money) into doing it properly. The new bike looks very nice too. Good work, fella.

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:50 - 02 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
It's almost like the dog is saying "Finish the Rieju first!"

Having said that, the project is coming on nicely, looks cracking and you are putting time, effort (and money) into doing it properly. The new bike looks very nice too. Good work, fella.

Cheers mate Thumbs Up

Funnily enough, when the missus got home, she had a VERY similar expression on her face but saying.... "you bought another what?? Sad "

I'm always happy to displease her Twisted Evil

The RS1 will get finished before I start stripping the new bike down (if I can resist the temptation!) but just want to get the garage properly sorted before I start work on it again. Pretty much at a point where I need to start spraying wheels, fairing etc so makes sense to get my extraction system in before I do anymore Thumbs Up

The new one is an RS2 50cc, just couldn't resist another little bike project!
It's done less than 8000 miles and is MOTd, rode 17 miles back to my house without a problem, it's just been dropped down the road a couple of times so PLENTY of repairs to the fairing etc to be done. Picked it up for £430 on an 08 plate, will make a nice bike Thumbs Up

I just need an RS3 to complete my collection now Laughing Laughing

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:19 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's been a big stall with this build due to kitting out the man cave, accidentally buying 2 other project bikes etc... but I'm finally back on with it!!

Temptation was to get stuck in with the Mito but am resisting and plan to get the RS1 finished in the next few weeks. I need to be using this bike or moving it on.

So plan is to spray the wheels in the next couple of days, they are prepped and ready and I just picked up the basecoat yesterday.

As I'll want them going straight back on the bike I decided tonight to start cleaning up the spindles and a few other bits and pieces so they are ready.

Have recently invested in a blast cabinet and have been having a play with DIY zinc plating so put these to use.

Here's the front spindle and rear adjusters before I start cleaning them up

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1006_zps6f869307.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1007_zps822d1ce4.jpg

Then after blasting with crushed glass

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1009_zpsd616e149.jpg

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1008_zpsd8279318.jpg

Bits in the plating bath

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1010_zps67d17aae.jpg

And the bits zinc plated

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1011_zps4dcee03e.jpg

Not perfect but really happy with the results for very little effort Thumbs Up

Still got the rear spindle to do and may do the brake discs too then will get on with spraying the wheels.
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:12 - 01 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so got a few more bits done this weekend in preparation for getting the bike back on its wheels and mobile again.

Firstly, got the rear spindle and spacers etc cleaned up and zinc plated

Before

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1011b_zpsfd105635.jpg

After

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1012_zps4963c2a1.jpg

Could do with replacing the nuts as they are really chewed up but at least are tidied and rust free for now.

Also wanted to give the brake calipers and cylinders a tidy up so set to getting them stripped and cleaned.

They're not in too bad a shape but have been sprayed black at some point and I just want give them a general tidy up.

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1019_zpsc1219bde.jpg

I realise I've not bought new bolts for the calipers though so they will have to be cleaned and zinc plated (yes, everythings getting plated at the moment as it's still all very novel!).... and at that point my OCD kicked in! Embarassed

The banjo bolts and hose ends etc are also really grotty... and I can't put them back on like that

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1018_zps515d786e.jpg
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1020_zpsf1e3b978.jpg

So they get cleaned and plated along with the bolts

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1024_zps0495f20f.jpg

So then resprayed the cylinders and fitted new brake lever, had to give the lever a coat of clear as it was a matt finish which didn't match the clutch lever that I'd resprayed gloss Embarassed Laughing

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1027_zps0c03d766.jpg

Sprayed the calipers to match, I'm not clear coating these or the cylinders as I don't want a high gloss finish on them

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1026_zps4d471cea.jpg

Next thing was the brake pads....

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1022_zpsaecf0687.jpg

Now I haven't ordered new pads as yet as I still haven't located a new front disc (one I have is goosed) so these, as much as I hate a bodge, will have to go back in for the time being... but not like that!

So a quick tidy up with the blaster

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1023_zpsb39052db.jpg

Then as anyone who is anyone knows.... gold is to brake pads what red is to a power band so...

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1028_zps96ca33cd.jpg

Should have some serious stopping power now! Laughing

Finally, everything back together and ready for fitting to the bike

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP1029_zpsb6133f8e.jpg

Plan is to spray the wheels tomorrow and should really be making progress then. Hoping to put this through an MOT in the next few weeks. Thumbs Up
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:02 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very good Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12