Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Biker - Hyosung GV 125 Aquila.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hammerstrike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:43 - 03 Sep 2014    Post subject: New Biker - Hyosung GV 125 Aquila. Reply with quote

Hello,

I am a new member. Have just passed my CBT and have bought a Hyosung GV 125 Aquila.. The bike is good, very comfy and looks great, but the fuel consumption sucks. I have a 70 mile return trip for work, and it burned approx 10 litres of petrol Sad . Anyone have any ideas/suggestions. I bought it expecting a cheaper travelling cost than driving my car, but this is no good..

Regards

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:31 - 03 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: New Biker - Hyosung GV 125 Aquila. Reply with quote

Hammerstrike wrote:
have bought a Hyosung GV 125 Aquila.

I'm so sorry.

Hammerstrike wrote:
I have a 70 mile return trip for work, and it burned approx 10 litres of petrol

30mpg? That's seriously not right. You'd be hard pressed to get that consumption out of a litre bike being ridden on its back wheel (I'm sure Paddy could manage it though).

First, are your numbers right? Tank brimmed before and after?

Is there any smell of petrol from it while it's running? I.e. is it pissing fuel onto the road?

Have you whipped the plugs out to check the state of them? I'd expect them to be blacker than a priest's socks if its going through that much fuel.

Is it running right? Smooth, revving freely? Not slowing abruptly (i.e. brakes not binding). What sort of speed are you getting out of it?

Hammerstrike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:25 - 03 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the bike was on main when i filled £10of fuel which was a bit more than 8 ltrs. On my way back it went to reserve with another 15 odd miles to go. No smell while driving.
How do i check the plug? New rider so not much clue. Bike runs fine, smooth, not slowing. I can get 70 as the top spèed but that is max and with full revs. Normally around 60 but still the revs are close to the max.

Dan100tdi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:51 - 03 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi take the spark plugs out and check the colour of the tips this will give you a rough indication of how the bike is running

https://motogymkhana.pl/katana/how-to/spark-plug-condition-guide/

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

31mpg?
Jeez, I have a 3.5 tonne van does better than that !
Dont know the bike but would be disappointed if I didn't get
say 70 mpg upwards from a 4 stroke 125.

As said, check the plug first
(sounds like you need to RTFM and buy a plug spanner Laughing )
I'd stick a new one in as a matter of course on a new to me bike
If it is black and sooty I'd check the choke isnt stuck on.
and the air filter isnt gunged up,
After that it starts to get more technical as you'll need to
check the carb and other things which are more complex
than whipping a plug out, but easy enough after a while
if you do a bit of boning up and RTFM

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:37 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your choke isn't stuck on. Was common on the GT that shares the engine.

However, whip the air filter out too. Check the condition. You want to change the oil, filter, air filter and spark plugs before trying to dig deeper. Unsure if air box is the same on yours as the GT. But an SV650 k&n fits if you struggle to find a GV one...only if box is the same!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello H'strike

Welcome to biking. As teh other posters have mentioned your MPG is clearly not right. Nobody has said it yet but Chinese bikes have a pretty poor reputation and probably not well suited to a long, regular commute.

Really your best bet is to get shot of it (on the gound of looks alone - although I realise that's subjective) and use the money to buy a probably older Japanese bike - in fact any Japanese bike..

J

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:27 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Hello H'strike

Welcome to biking. As teh other posters have mentioned your MPG is clearly not right. Nobody has said it yet but Chinese bikes have a pretty poor reputation and probably not well suited to a long, regular commute.

Really your best bet is to get shot of it (on the gound of looks alone - although I realise that's subjective) and use the money to buy a probably older Japanese bike - in fact any Japanese bike..

J

It's not Chinese, it's Korean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

It's not Chinese, it's Korean.

Apologies - are they any better ? My Jincheng monkey (now sold) was
pretty hopeless - poor quality seals => oils leaks, rubber parts (tyres indicator stems) , poor chrome etc..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:25 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Hyosung aspire to the perception of Japanese quality. They're certainly chasing Japanese prices, or were before their sole importer gave up on them.

They may have got better recently, but the 2006 GTR125 I spannered was a seized up, busted-electrics dog that cost as much as its "bargain" purchase price again in replacement parts, from scrappies or direct from Korea.

Lovely looking bikes, interesting engineering. An 11kW DOHC 8 valve V-twin in a 125 in nice, but the bike is built to a budget same as everything else. On a 125, I'd go for simplicity every time.

Hammerstrike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:16 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the advice guys. I will be having a look at the plug and will update.

Cheers

Hammerstrike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:56 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

apologies for the delay. Problem sorted, apparently I was trying go max speed (70 Miles) which meant the rev were always max (in the red) hence the heave fuel consumption. Have tried driving at 50 mph on average and its now giving around 17 mpl, which is doable.

I do seem to have a loose chain, is it something I can fix myself or shall I take it in to a garage? Done have much clue on bike maintenance, can anyone suggest me something good to read?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:21 - 29 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube, over and over. Gets explained AND you see how to do it Thumbs Up

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 29 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my little 125 completely flat out yesterday, as I rode it up the hartside pass and around alston. It spent 90% of the time with the throttle wide open. It did 101 mpg.

On the way back, I rode it more normally, and got around 130mpg.

You shouldnt be getting anywhere near 30mpg on a 125 unless you ride it in 1st gear.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:03 - 29 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammerstrike wrote:
apparently I was trying go max speed (70 Miles) which meant the rev were always max (in the red) hence the heave fuel consumption.

I'd still be astonished if everything was all right. I never saw under 80mpg on my 125, and that was riding it with the throttle pinned all day long, and with the carb needle working loose and riding high.

Did you actually check the condition of the air filter and the plug?

Hammerstrike wrote:
I do seem to have a loose chain

It's easy enough to take up the slack in the chain (as Paddy says, there are approximately seventeen bajillion YouTube how-to videos on it) but first check how much each individual link has stretched.

That means see how far you can lift the chain away from the back of the rear sprocket. If you can get it clear of the teeth, or near enough, then the engine will soon start doing that for you while you're riding, and it's time to change it rather than just taking up the slack.

https://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/_img/chain/worn-02.jpg

Have a look at the condition of your sprockets too. Google "worn sprocket" for examples.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:58 - 29 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I believe that Hyosung aspire to the perception of Japanese quality. They're certainly chasing Japanese prices, or were before their sole importer gave up on them.

They may have got better recently, but the 2006 GTR125 I spannered was a seized up, busted-electrics dog that cost as much as its "bargain" purchase price again in replacement parts, from scrappies or direct from Korea.

I had a 2007 gt125r and it was absolutely shite! You've pretty much summed it up

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 29 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said. Something is seriously wrong with that sort of MPG.

Sell it while you can & get something cheap and cheerful (and jap) Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 59 days between these two posts...

asher_in_israland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:20 - 28 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 23 km per litre (over 70 mpg if we're talking imperial gallons)on the way to work which is mostly heavy traffic on main roads
couple of things - my front sprocket is oversized adds another 5 mph at the expense of less acceleration, and secondly I NEVER touch the fuel tap, no need to, it's always "on" (unless I'm on my holidays wnd not touching the bike for ten days...), I found it leaks if you move it.
I'm very satisfied and have my eyes set on the 650...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:43 - 28 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

asher_in_israland wrote:
my front sprocket is oversized adds another 5 mph

https://38.media.tumblr.com/a0da4408f8229e7d5fa8ac975464ace5/tumblr_mkhmbu4ttc1r3djp1o1_500.gif

Welcome to BCF.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 216 days between these two posts...

Thomastodd96
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:38 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Just bought a 2001 Hyosung Aquila gv 125, the previous owner has put straight pipes on it, and after riding it back from Scotland after pick up the bike bogs and lags at about 50mph in 4 th and 5 th gear, can anyone recommend the best exhaust to buy. Thanks.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomastodd96 wrote:
Hi,
Just bought a 2001 Hyosung Aquila gv 125, the previous owner has put straight pipes on it, and after riding it back from Scotland after pick up the bike bogs and lags at about 50mph in 4 th and 5 th gear, can anyone recommend the best exhaust to buy. Thanks.

If you can find one, put a stock exhaust back on.

Is it a dull exhaust or have they just replaced the silencers?

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:29 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT:

Sorry replied to an ancient post. Note to self: "Check dates before wasting everyone's time."

Last edited by BusterGonads on 19:33 - 01 Jul 2018; edited 2 times in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:30 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomastodd96 wrote:
can anyone recommend the best exhaust to buy. Thanks.

A YBR custom exhaust. Attached to a YBR Custom.

If you really must keep the Hyosung, I agree with stock if you can. But as above, dat parts supply.

Are the pipes baffled at least? If not, you can sling universal baffles in them.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 243 days between these two posts...

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 05:49 - 29 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine just put a deposit on a new GV125.

He's only got a CBT and wanted a V-Twin.

It's basically this or the more expensive Keeway.

I know there are some discontinued Japanese options to choose from but I think he plans on keeping it for a while (he's in his 50s and just wants something he can bimble around on with a CBT, I don't think he intends on ever doing DAS) and I don't think he wanted to get into the pain that comes with owning some ratty old 125 that dozens of 17yo kids have abused before him.

I tried to steer him towards a Japanese 125 (despite the general consensus these days being that Chinese 125s are just as good as Japanese, my nephew has had nothing but trouble with his brand new Lexmoto and ended up chopping it in for a 10yo WR125 which hasn't missed a beat since) but he's dead set on the GV125 for the V-Twin factor.

I get where he's coming from. It is kinda cool to have a 125 V-Twin. He can afford a brand new bike and let's face it I think the Chinese and Koreans are nearly up there with the Japanese now in terms of reliability, certainly on smaller displacement bikes anyway.

Anyway clearly it's going to be the new Euro 5 model with cat(s) but he wants to put a full exhaust on it, or at the very least decat it, to get a bit more noise out of it (and hopefully it won't sound as bad as most 17yo baked bean can single 125s, being a V-Twin albeit a 125 he's hoping it will be an improvement rather than just being obnoxious).

We've had a decent look around the net and nothing much is coming up for it but Leo Vince do one for the 2008 - 2015 model.

Anyone here got any experience with these?

Any idea if the 2008 - 2015 system from Leo Vince will fit on in its place, simply replacing the in-built cat(s) of the newer system?

Can the cats simply be knocked out or removed?

As it's only a 125, I assume it only has one cat, and as it's a twin cylinder machine that must surely mean if it does only have one cat it will be downstream from where the two pipes meet, as it's got a single exit can. That being the case may be easy to remove/bypass?

Are there places that would fabricate a bespoke exhaust for it?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 29 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
A mate of mine just put a deposit on a new GV125.

A mate, yeah, sure Wink

DUCAUDI wrote:

He's only got a CBT and wanted a V-Twin.

Has he bought his cut-off denim too?

DUCAUDI wrote:

I tried to steer him towards a Japanese 125

Very wise

DUCAUDI wrote:

(despite the general consensus these days being that Chinese 125s are just as good as Japanese, my nephew has had nothing but trouble with his brand new Lexmoto and ended up chopping it in for a 10yo WR125 which hasn't missed a beat since) but he's dead set on the GV125 for the V-Twin factor.

Not 'round these parts

DUCAUDI wrote:

I get where he's coming from. It is kinda cool to have a 125 V-Twin. He can afford a brand new bike and let's face it I think the Chinese and Koreans are nearly up there with the Japanese now in terms of reliability, certainly on smaller displacement bikes anyway.

Dubious.. No they're not - just about Ok for teen fodder IME

DUCAUDI wrote:

Anyway clearly it's going to be the new Euro 5 model with cat(s) but he wants to put a full exhaust on it, or at the very least decat it, to get a bit more noise out of it (and hopefully it won't sound as bad as most 17yo baked bean can single 125s, being a V-Twin albeit a 125 he's hoping it will be an improvement rather than just being obnoxious).

He's deluded

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2