Another Wales Weekender - pic heavy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEllis wrote:
Breathtaking scenery Lone Wolf. Just convinced me to take my normal camera as well. It's only a snap happy Nikon but it's alright.

God. I'm counting down the days now.

All my photos are taken on a cheap Fuji that I bought for about £60 in Tescos a few years ago. It fits in my jacket pocket so it's always handy for quick snaps. I can't be bothered with the bulk of DSLRs and the like, and probably wouldn't have the wherewithal to get the best out of one anyway.

The only things I try to think about to get good pics are composition and light. With light, it's a bit hit and miss, but if you're in these places, try to get out early mornings/ late evenings for the best of it. By mid day, it has gone too flat/bright and a lot of shots end up looking very unspectacular. Changeable conditions however, can give some good light effects through the day.

I am the bane of the modern professional photographer though - I take dozens of shots, then sift through for the best ones after. Usually get something worthwhile this way.

Also, if you stop to take photos, don't just stand on the road; walk a little way into fields/meadows/up a hill. Look at what first caught your eye and move to a position where that feature is highlighted to best advantage. Simple methods like this can achieve good results from even the most basic camera.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 10 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: Another Wales Weekender - pic heavy Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Saturday afternoon, headed to Llandovery and Erwlon campsite. Tent pitched, and a meal at the West End Café, I headed up the Black Mountains

Stunning photo's!

A mate from work recommended Cadair Idris, but I didn't make it. Another great reason to go back Smile

Brilliant vid Lone Wolf. Tempted to look into getting a camera, for re-living those heady summer days during the depths of the winter despair.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested, this was my approximate route on the Sunday, starting at Llandovery:

WalesWeekender

(Thanks to mentalboy for helping me dispose of all the Google maps code in my post - another computery thing learned! Thumbs Up )
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool but you stopped just shy of even more epicness!

One of the highest road passes in wales Bwlch Y Groes is just round the corner from Tal y Llyn, then down into Bala via Lake Vyrnwy, up into Blaenau Ffestiniog to see the slate quarries then drop down into Betws Y Coed for the bikes at the carpark/café!

Very Happy

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 13 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dischord wrote:
Really cool but you stopped just shy of even more epicness!

One of the highest road passes in wales Bwlch Y Groes is just round the corner from Tal y Llyn, then down into Bala via Lake Vyrnwy, up into Blaenau Ffestiniog to see the slate quarries then drop down into Betws Y Coed for the bikes at the carpark/café!

Very Happy

I think I've probably done all those at one time or another, some more than once. Can you give road designations (B4391 etc)? I've done the little road that exits Vyrynwy from it's northern tip, and the eastern side of the lake itself, think I've now done all the roads that exit from Bala, been through all the slate quarry areas - in fact, I did some of that on my route back from the BCF Wales weekender; kind of just wandered about, gradually going south Laughing

I just didn't have time to do more last weekend; I actually went further than I had planned, but was certainly worth it.
I think I need a full holiday in Wales at some point. There's still plenty I haven't seen; Pembrokeshire, Rhondda Valley, Flint and Rhuddlan castles etc.

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 13 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://routebuilder.org/sbu

Not sure if that link will work but that would be my suggested route north from Dolgellau, really good biking roads.

I know what you mean about the exit from the northern tip of Lake Vyrnwy, that's a really nice ride into Bala, at one point you are riding down the valley and the view is epic!

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2