Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DIY topbox rack

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:45 - 22 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I can't say that I was particularly wounded by it, but thanks for the clarification. Thumbs Up

:edit: In other news, my phone has lunched its SD card, so when the new one arrives tomorrow, I can show the conclusion to this little project. At the moment, the topbox is happily attached to my bike. Given that the rack came with it, the topbox was a freebie, and the plate is mare from materials I had lying around at work, this whole enterprise has just cost me the grand total of £4 for the coach bolts I used.

I am a happy camper indeed.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Being annoyingly decent
But, but but... need moar rage, dammit! Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:30 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to business.

last time you guys saw this, I was working on the premise of using two plates in a horseshoe shape. This had been subsequently disregarded as a result of the final material being heavy as hell. it was also massive overkill to my mind, so I elected to machine out some clamps, and use those instead.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/15329853565_6f99dc3c8e_b.jpg

This produced these:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3903/15143315597_7a7dde2269_b.jpg

Which in turn became these:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2942/15306813586_f9f16528a9_b.jpg

That eventually did this:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3839/15329853055_e84abf5ecc_b.jpg

With their powers combined*...
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3888/15143267808_27b6c8e7a7_b.jpg

From above, the plate looks like this:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2942/15143268188_e89e559e94_b.jpg

While I have no doubt that my critic will be deeply unimpressed by the lack of manufactured metalwork, it does the job admirably. I also included the holes around the edge because they make for a most useful set of bungee attachment points.

The topbox that I received was a) filthy on the inside, and b) required some minor tweaks to fit properly. Most of the filth is just old dust/lint, but there's also a lot of congealed/dried brake fluid, which I'll have to get round to cleaning out at some point. Can't say that I'm in a mad rush to do so, because meh.

I had to cut away the original plastic locking point, mainly because it was already a bit damaged, and I didn't know the exact shape of the original corresponding pin - while I could guesstimate it to a point, it wasn't accurate, and didn't quite work right.

That bit of threaded rod that was sticking up from the plate is the locking point for the base of the box; the 'knurled nut' that I'm using at the moment is a holdover from a different thing that I made some time back: I'll most likely 3D print a nicer one at some point (when I've cleaned up the box and such).

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3871/15306812746_e9f6fdd277_b.jpg

And so we come to a finished topbox rack:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5573/15329545652_59b72e7573_b.jpg

If you guys want, I can also put up the original CAD work that went with all this, and give a clearer explanation of the working process for the routing.

*No Captain Planets were harmed in the making of this topbox rack.
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Thumbs Up digestive bikkit hiding in there Shocked plastic looks like good stuff. How heavy is the final item?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:48 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weighs about a kilo and a half, all in. Not a massive amount, but it's about 50% heavier than a bought one. However, this cost me near enough sod all.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes my DIY top box mounting system seem massively under-engineered by comparison... Sad

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/IMG_2315_zpsd3466d66.jpg

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:04 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Makes my DIY top box mounting system seem massively under-engineered by comparison... Sad
I subscribe to the General Sherman approach in most things Laughing

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:12 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: top box Reply with quote

couldn't you just hold it on with bunjees save all that faffing about making stuff

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 23 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Does the job, for minimal cost and the added 'i made that' feeling.

I had a complete rack made up from drawings for my zrx. Paid for the ally, but the waterjet machine used to make it was more of a favour Laughing

Ill post pics of it once i take the top box back off it.

APT Motorcycles

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job.

Critiques corner: Wink
If it were mine I might well have used a larger radius on the corners which would shave off a little of the weight and make it slightly more aesthetically pleasing on the eye!
(Those clamps seem a little 'agricultural' in their finish, is that normal or did the cutter need sharpening?)
8/10 Wink

Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 06:43 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

(Those clamps seem a little 'agricultural' in their finish, is that normal or did the cutter need sharpening?)
I made a minor mistake on the toolpath setting: it was slightly offset along the outside of the image path, as opposed to along the image path. I could redo them, but they work OK as they are, and this was never designed in pursuit of perfection Laughing

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:34 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how on a forum mainly used by men, how making something rather than buying it is questioned? I might be biased though, I spent two shifts at work last week making a flywheel puller that can be bought for £15 Laughing

Rack looks good, I work with automated production machinery for a living and bodge bits of metal in my free time but its nice to see different materials and methods used.

Mozza
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:44 - 07 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any excuse to use 'toys' in the workshop is reason enough for me Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 112 days between these two posts...

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:17 - 28 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been pointed to this thread from another, it has given me a good amount of inspiration. Top work. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2