1994 GSXR750 Cafe Racer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

expat200
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:53 - 24 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
There's a race series in Japan where they update and modify these kinds of bikes, and some of the results are stunning. It'd be a shame if it was the last of it's kind, but I also think as long as there are a handful of pristine, bog-stock machines in a museum or collection that can be viewed by Joe Public somewhere, why not?

Like this .... https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/expat2000_2008/bikes/muckas_zpsc918cea1.jpg[/img]

Not just in Japan...www.earlystocks.co.uk

TH427
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:08 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t413/TH427/Mobile%20Uploads/63871C4C-D2EB-4A71-A642-B7DC35471F89_zpsdenj5kmg.png

How it sits at the moment. Seat has been covered, original mudguard and air box have been removed to unclutter the back end. Battery and electronics have been relocated to be hidden behind the frame. Pod filters have been added, lots of painting, polishing and detailing done, not much left to do to get it to how I want it now. Does anyone know how easy it would be, or if it is even possible to swap the clocks out for some from a bandit or similar? Something that suits the naked style more. Will hopefully get some better photos soon, working a lot at the moment so I don't see daylight often!
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TH427
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:45 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pod filters haven't made a massive different to delivery, the jetting etc isn't stock as the previous owner had some jetting changes made and had it ran on a dyno. Still, it'll be going for some more dyno runs and some jetting changes will be made, and if it's not performing how I want I'll fabricate an airbox that allows for the repositioning of the battery etc.

Not purely a styling exercise although obviously that's a large part of it! Lack of fairing and the clip on bars which put your body into a certain positioning, for me makes the ride completely different and lot more engaging.

Last edited by TH427 on 16:48 - 21 Nov 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably it has been up-jetted to suit?

Edit: ah, beat me to it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:27 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: airbox Reply with quote

You should go with the standard airbox on these bikes theres no advantage with pods https://www.ablett.jp/gsxr/gsxr_super_tune.htm
you need a stage 3 kit for pods which they don't do for this bike

TH427
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:16 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that link! Some useful information on there Thumbs Up

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pod filters on CV carbs can be made to work

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/My%20bikes/20100611_1.jpg

I had a Stage 1 DJ kit in the carbs which consisted of DJ needles and main jets.When I removed the standard airbox because the airbox to carb rubbers hardened considerably,the only option at the time was to fit the K&N pod filters and the Stage 3 main jets and blanking plugs.

If anything,get in contact with https://www.allensperformance.com/ for parts and advice Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'
WULFSTAN This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating. Unhide this post / all posts.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 24 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

WULFSTAN wrote:
I will give you all my money to have that bike. So i can destroy it what a fucking waste of a good bike.

pah. they were good bikes at the time.... dated as all buggery now
there is a million slingshot fighters out there, and to be fair i think they look better than the dated look that a faired bike has,

why not go on ebay a buy one if you are so worried about stripped down gsxr's

TH427
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:45 - 24 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

WULFSTAN wrote:
I will give you all my money to have that bike. So i can destroy it what a fucking waste of a good bike.

It wasn't a good bike. Mechanically it's good, condition wise it was poor. Wasn't economical to restore it and I'm all for nice modern classics like this GPZ600R I used to own...

https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t413/TH427/IMG_0451.jpg

The water cooled cradle framed GSXR's were dated compared to the competition even when they first came out.

Thanks for the information Fizzer, it's running fine as is at the moment, but will be fine tuned soon.

TH427
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:58 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the last picture update for this project as I don't think they'll be many significant changes from now. Lots of minor changes and things like bandit clocks have been fitted. It's now mostly complete, just a few fine tuning bits to do like have the carbs properly sorted.

https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t413/TH427/Mobile%20Uploads/20777E63-06D7-4DF6-A70A-27A8038DE69E_zpsi2fcmb85.jpg

https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t413/TH427/Mobile%20Uploads/266BF0D7-86BF-4D50-BC97-0F580F45690D_zps4eb3v2wm.jpg

https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t413/TH427/Mobile%20Uploads/AF9FD148-CDE1-4AF3-8E11-F227E9075A45_zpsltmcvkuw.jpg

https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t413/TH427/Mobile%20Uploads/3A4DEFB6-E1BF-44C9-B3B4-DBF8A77D35DF_zpsmrcgxzjj.jpg

https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t413/TH427/Mobile%20Uploads/9833E488-E9E8-4783-834D-9BF3B807248D_zps0undeqtx.jpg

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape round the pod filters?

Sorry but it doesn't work for me. Rear subframe looks terrible. Front light brackets etc look cheap.

I appreciate what you've tried to do, unfortunately I don't think it's worked.

TH427
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:43 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, temporary measure to richen the fuel mixture to cure the flat spot I craated at 12,000rpm until I get the jettinh corrected.

Fair enough, not to everyone's tastes, has been done on a budget.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the café seat unit is ok, and keeping a naked GSXR on clip-on bars instead of renthals is to be commended too. Even the exhaust looks decent too. But yes the headlamp bracket and having the rear subframe exposed instead of covered by the seat unit does ruin the lines a bit.

Still a good project though, and I also agree that there are enough old scabby late cradle frame GSXR's 7's and 11's that look shabby in their full fairings too, so if you've saved one from being broken for spares then good for you!

Would big 2carb filters be better or easier to tune than those little individual conical ones though? The filters on Fizzer thou's bike look like they'd flow a lot more air TBH.

TH427
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:48 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking is that more individual carbs means larger surface area so leaned fuel mixture, so 2 carb filters should richen the mixture (??) as it needs to be very slightly richened. To be honest the filters that are on it were very cheap an don't really filter very much as the mesh has large gaps between each weave. Some higher quality filters may richen out the fuel muxture by being more restrictive of the air flow.

Regarding the subframe, I'm planning on creating four identical "L" shaped adapters to fit on the existing subframe mounting points that will raise the subframe and hide the top subframe rail in the seat unit.

Thanks.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:14 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I like it.

It might not be the fastest beast out there, and it does look like a styling exercise, but I think in that respect that it has worked.

Each to their own though.

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 25 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like it like I said I did when you first posted but it would benefit from a bit more of a budget and fabrication.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 26 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are cheap pod filters, check that the ID is actually correct for the carb.

I had a set on the ZRX when I bought it and it would get to around 8k revs and stop. They seem to use just one pod filter with a push in adapter to get the right size to clamp to the carb neck.

Junked them for foam filters and it was like a new bike.

APT Motorcycles

TH427
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:17 - 21 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine owns a mig welder which he let me borrow to fabricate some new bits such as the subframe and exhaust hanger, some other little boys have been further tidied too. Purchased some better quality filters which are currently still taped up to richen the fuel mixture until it's taken taken to be jetted currently in the next couple weeks.

https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t413/TH427/Mobile%20Uploads/6A0CB04A-2715-44D3-8693-E6AAC0708740_zpsaed389ll.jpg

https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t413/TH427/Mobile%20Uploads/57C49C66-C9BD-4625-A5A0-6910EE6D9690_zpsewo2fmfp.jpg

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:45 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: 94 gsxr Reply with quote

you can now get a stage three kit for these bikes https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Factory-Pro-Tuning-Carb-Kit-Stage-3-Suzuki-GSXR750-93-95-/301566465398?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4636c31576 might be worth a try not a bad price either!

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:47 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaahh so relieved to see the new subframe, the original was an abomination and to be honest looked downright dangerous!

I think the bike is starting to look pretty good now, id ditch the k&n sticker unless it's a technically placed scratch hiding device? Laughing

Also the taped filters still let it down but I guess that's temporary anyhow?

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:18 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: gsxr Reply with quote

I'm sure I've just seen this for sale on ebay nice looking bike Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Slab-side GSXR is a 'iconic' motorcycle.. but I tend to find the cult of the gixxer, more ironic ' than iconic.

This one more so.. I can't say I particularly dis-like it, or there isn't merit in the build.... b-u-t....

The 'Cafe-Racer'.. in an era when the factories were building pretty staid push-rod twins, with ancestry over 30 years old, and trying to sell them as 'practical', 'comfortable' 'sturdy' and 'reliable', rather than 'fast' or 'exiting'... they were built by kids who wanted to go quick; who took BSA A65's and fitted high compression hepolite pistons, lumpy cam-shafts and twin Amal carbs... the got rid of all the heavy mudguards and 'stuff' bolted on some dural 'rear-sets' and 'ace-bars' and set out to see how fast they could go round the new ring-road!

Into the '70's.. they Japs started offering engines a bit more exiting than a push-rod twin, but tailored for a sigificantly America market, they came with high handlebars and crap suspension.. so, the cult continued, stripping off heavy equipment, adding dural rear-sets, ace-bars or clip-ons, big-bore kits and lumpy cams.... with GRP seats and fairings taking over fro aluminum 'sports-guards' and stays!

SO... after two decades.. Suzuki FINALLY comes up with THE ultimate, out of the show-room 'Cafe Racer' coming from the factory with clip-on bars, race tank, race fairing, rear-sets and lumpy-cams.....

And WHAT do owners do? Rip it ALL off and fit high wide bars like a BSA! Seems rather 'perverse' to me!

This one? A Cafe'd GSX-R then is a bit of an anathma; to my mind it WAS a Cafe Racer, to start with.. just one built in a factory, not a shed.... but its revealing, that 'modern' fashions, and perceptions are so dependant on the 'aesthetic' that a special has to conform to cliche, and to be acknowledged as a 'Cafe-Racer' it has to follow a form set by the function and available materials of the 1960's!

Nice to see something other than another pair of Renthals and over-polished alloy, or a wheel-barrow swig-arm and a turbo.. but I cant help thinking that so much value placed on the pure aesthetic, and those aesthetics being squeezed into cliche'd genre's, the genuine ingenuity of the special builder is being lost in the 'glitz'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Jewlio Iglesias This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3