BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hornet <3

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:12 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Hornet <3 Reply with quote

Hey all, been a bit slow to post but here she is, my first bike which I bought last week.

2000 Honda Hornet 600
Yellow
10k miles

Ambrosia:

https://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/031_zpsbdade0b4.jpg

https://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/011_zps5f76b7be.jpg

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:20 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy.
At least it's the right colour (needs some black stripes) Wink

After you've used it a while like to hear what you think of the tank range.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:37 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Enjoy.
At least it's the right colour (needs some black stripes) Wink

After you've used it a while like to hear what you think of the tank range.

Thanks ^.^

I've read they do up to about 100 miles but I'll let you know what I can get out of her Smile

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks tidy. Enjoy Thumbs Up
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Rim tape Sick

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:25 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knacker wrote:
And Rim tape Sick

I'm not sure whether I'd like it more with or without it but that lot needs to come off anyway as it's got a few breaks in places.

_Iain_ wrote:
Right colour, definately potential there.

Thanks Smile I really wanted a yellow one so glad I waited it out to find one.

Quote:
The grips, levers & botched tail tidy would be the first things on my hitlist

I actually stuck a Standard Halfrauds jobby plate on it yesterday as the one in the picture is what it came with which is slightly small (lettering etc..) with honeycomb background. The new standard plate covers up the bracket which I think looks ok now.

The adjustable levers are nice to have but I'd prefer them in black.

I think the previous owner decided to go with a yellow/red theme as he chose red brake lines as well and it also has a screen with he'd painted Matte Red and it looked Awful! Sick
I've respayed the screen black and stuck it back on for now just to take some of the bug splats really. (Live in a rural farmy area)

I got a box of bits and bobs with the bike:
https://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/extras002_zpsd1bca9a2.jpg~original

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:02 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow and black grips will be far nicer for you than the current ones.
get that round headlight on and remove those twins, they are bad at night.

other than that, nice find with 10k Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:20 - 25 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
yellow and black grips will be far nicer for you than the current ones.
get that round headlight on and remove those twins, they are bad at night.

other than that, nice find with 10k Thumbs Up

Yeah I think it was a good find, I'm glad now that I waited it out to get what I wanted now Very Happy Another bonus was that the guy I bought it off was only around my height (5ft 2) so he'd had the seat cut down already which is handy for me. I'm not completely flatfoot but I've managed fine with it so far.
The re-cover job isn't brilliant (Some edges held down by gaffa tape unserneath but there's a local motorcycle seat upholstery company 10 mins up the road. They've told me they can cut it down further if needed and if there is enough foam left. They can re-cover the seat and can also add gel insert.

I was contemplating having the original headlight back on it before I bought the bike but now I have it I quite like the twin. I'm hopefully going to be avoiding riding in any real darkness but the previous owner said he'd put (xenon?) bulbs in them or something so they are brighter. They seemed nice and bright when my stepdad rode it home, following me in my car in the night.

Grips, they don't really bother me in looks too much and they feel alright but I might change them eventually. Undecided with that at the mo.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 06:38 - 25 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only reason I'd change grips is because they are plastic really. Personally I use renthal mediums, really nice grips and fairly cheap.

If you think the light look better, sure. Keep them if it's to your taste, I just felt they were lacking compared to a single round with a super bright bulb.

Enjoy it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:54 - 27 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the look of the Hornet! Thumbs Up it's one of those bike i prefer more than the newer model! I would take of the yellow radiator covers? (not sure on what the exact name is) I would also change the levers, the grips don't look too bad! replace painted side panels with stock ones. I would even be tempted to lose the belly pan too! Defo keep the rim tape, rear mudgaurd and exhaust Smile

And another thing, enjoy it! Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:01 - 27 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Right colour, definately potential there. Thumbs Up

However I'd be inclined to ditch a lot of the aftermarket tat.

The grips, levers & botched tail tidy would be the first things on my hitlist Sick

Knacker wrote:
And Rim tape Sick

These people speak the truth.

Rim tape is gayer than a lemon party!! Shocked

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 27 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow is the fastest colour.

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:11 - 27 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissBex wrote:
I've read they do up to about 100 miles but I'll let you know what I can get out of her Smile

Depends on how you ride her. Fun hooning around country roads with low gears in high revs for maximum torque/acceleration will burn through petrol like you wouldn't believe. The tank range on my XJ-6 varies between 140 and 225 so far, min/max, using Esso Supreme. 140 was me hooning it everywhere possible, 225 unbelievably was a long weekend with a pillion joining me for about a hundred of those miles - despite the extra weight of having a girl on the back because I was riding more sensibly it went further.

I love gold or yellow on Hornets, white looks nice on the pre-2007 redesign bikes too but I've only seen one in that colour (if I'd had the money I'd have had it - same style as yours, 4K on the clock, almost completely stock, clean as a whistle: £3,100. Sold within a week. Gutted.)

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridelikeasaint wrote:
MissBex wrote:

Depends on how you ride her. Fun hooning around country roads with low gears in high revs for maximum torque/acceleration will burn through petrol like you wouldn't believe. The tank range on my XJ-6 varies between 140 and 225 so far, min/max, using Esso Supreme. 140 was me hooning it everywhere possible, 225 unbelievably was a long weekend with a pillion joining me for about a hundred of those miles - despite the extra weight of having a girl on the back because I was riding more sensibly it went further.

Don't quite understand why you're comparing an early Hornet's fuel tank range to a newish XJ6, but there you are.

100-110 miles is generally speaking about right. The tank on the Hornet is a funny shape, so it can be a struggle to get the 16 litres the tank can apparently hold into the tank. The post 2003 models got a 17 litre tank that helped a bit.

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:21 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Don't quite understand why you're comparing an early Hornet's fuel tank range to a newish XJ6, but there you are.

Just giving a quick example from experience about how aggressive riding can knock many dozens of miles of range out of the tank. I prefer fewer miles and bigger smiles though *groans*

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridelikeasaint wrote:
I prefer fewer miles and bigger smiles though *groans*

Car is for MPG, bike is for MPH.

#cliché

Wink

Doomsnite
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:40 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 110 miles withh 2 up before i filled up yesterday without going to reserve and still only got 9litres in. Do find i rarely go over 6k rpm with the wife on the back tho so i imagine thats some pretty economical riding

Happy tinkering. Just got some new bolts and bits for mine... eying up some spraying next!

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:44 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
ridelikeasaint wrote:
I prefer fewer miles and bigger smiles though *groans*

Car is for MPG, bike is for MPH.

#cliché

Wink

It might be a cliché but it's the first I've seen of it, kinda like it.

I suppose the lower MPG of a bike is balanced out by costing less in petrol. Someone I work with has a brand new Golf GTI on lease and she estimates it's costing her £14 a day to do the work commute and hers is shorter than mine (40 mile round trip I think). £14 on regular unleaded would do me for about two trips to work and back.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like all the "tat". The red/yellow combo is pretty nice.

I have yellow rim tape to go on mine Very Happy

And i've fitted Yellow HEL brake lines with black banjo fitments.

And had my refurb calipers done in black.

And my bike is... yellow and black!

Meh... Haters gonna hate Mr. Green

EDIT: Oooh I forgot about the crack in my rear hugger (black) which I repaired with yellow cable ties. I was rather pleased with it:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1620620_10152766604725288_792805880_n.jpg?oh=dc89d9385f52f03eb2546ba265dcadee&oe=54B56A93&__gda__=1422203928_2f582b4cebc147edfeb87ff988385835

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Thumbs Up

I've always liked them hornets but think I would prefer with the normal round headlight, not too keen on these double things.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:25 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:

Drooling Drooling

That is of the highest quality, so much better than cheap anodised tat. Mr. Green

It could only be improved with some plastic welding with a soldering iron to make a lovely black and yellow melty mess. Thumbs Up

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:55 - 09 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
I quite like all the "tat"....

Meh... Haters gonna hate Mr. Green

EDIT: Oooh I forgot about the crack in my rear hugger (black) which I repaired with yellow cable ties. I was rather pleased with it:

Oh wow that repair is pretty awesome haha Looks like it's been stitched up Very Happy

At the minute I've got the original mirrors back on her as the aftermarket black one on the right side was really loose and as I was trying to adjust it, the thread was just knackered on it and it came right off and wouldn't go back on.
I can see much better with these but think I'll find some new aftermarket ones at some point, probs wont bother till in the new year now.

https://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/HornetOrigMirror_zpsc22b024c.jpg

Want to get a paddock stand for her but after some research, I've now got my eye on a ABBA stand, which looks brilliant and easier to use on my own.

I want to get a battery tender as well, was looking at the oxford Oximiser 900, but I'm not sure as it has split views being either really good or broken within months. What you think?

What's the best way to shineup the downpipes? Autosol? (Edit: I can just look this up - I'm just being lazy at the mo Wink )

Went down to Wheels Motorcycles the other weekend on their Open weekend promotion thing. Took a unique code they send you and got a free Oxford tyre pressure guage. Very handy so that's one thing off the shopping list! Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2