Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lightweight (Airportable) Landrover rebuild.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 30 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Weekends anytime soon?

4 weeks, so you want to drive it then?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:49 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked a whole minute out of my way to have a look myself!

#landyselfie

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you didn't drop in for a cup of tea?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:48 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
And you didn't drop in for a cup of tea?

I half expected you to be outside elbow deep in tin worm. I should have but was in a little bit of a rush to get back to work. Next time you are at it during the day let me know, I'll pop over and supervise. Razz

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very kind of you to help sir, probably at it next Monday so will let you know.

No pics so far today but decided I will just rebuild the slave cylinders as per Teffers suggestion.

Now these slave cylinders have a very different set up to a motorcycle caliper in that instead of seals around the piston they are at the ends of the pistons and the pistons are opposed like a boxer engine, both push out from the same fluid supply in opposing directions.
As long as you can get one piston out you can remove the seals for both pistons and then knock the opposing one out with a punch.

This is how the slave cylinder looks while mounted to the backplate on the axle.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0654-1.jpg

As you can see the pistons are opposed with a single inlet around the back next to the bleed nipple.

Bru
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:26 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never found drum brakes that clean, on any of my cars, and my cars looked 'far' nicer (not that it would be difficult) than yours. Amazing.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru wrote:
I have never found drum brakes that clean, on any of my cars, and my cars looked 'far' nicer (not that it would be difficult) than yours. Amazing.

The looks of this Lightweight are very deceiving. Its actually in good mechanical condition for its 40 year age and was well looked after, just got bored using it.
Short of needing the rear chassis replaced I'm hoping it won't be an expensive job getting it going again.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurgh, drum brakes and slave cylinders still give me nightmares.

Gonna watch this thread with interest Thumbs Up

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 01 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
chris-red wrote:
No way that weighs 1/2 a tonne That's under half my fiesta!

I think you`ll find that figure refers to the pay load rather than the un-laden weight.

To chuck it out of a helli you'd not have the roof or doors on there, only the chassis and bulkhead is steel, the rest of the body is alu

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 02 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the cleaned up slave cylinder. The pistons are now so smooth that if you remove the dust seat the pistons shoot out due to the spring in the middle.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0658.jpg

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:56 - 02 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
...The pistons are now so smooth that if you remove the dust seat the pistons shoot out due to the spring in the middle...

Out of interest is that with the kit Tef suggested or just as a result of cleaning/tlc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 02 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Out of interest is that with the kit Tef suggested or just as a result of cleaning/tlc?

That was just cleaning. Keep in mind everything on these is big compared to motorcycles so easier to clean.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 02 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting for updates. Thumbs Up

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 04 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a real update, just had some bits arrive.

New under wing mudshields for both sides, steering box cover, a seal for between the vent panel and windscreen and some flap discs.

Hopefully I will get to do some more work this week as I have 6 days off, just have to make sure I don't eat too much at pork rib night.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0659.jpg

Need to decide what finish I want on the mudshields and steering box cover. I'm thinking hot metal spray, powder coat and then underseal just so they last another 40 years.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 04 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Project more interesting than many run of the mill 'I've just stuck a load of tat on my late 90's sportsbike' projects!

Question to Sickpup.
What engine is in your Wagon? I always assumed that the lightweight's had the Rover V8, for it's lightness and grunt, but out on the battle field wet prone electrics and petrol fuel/fire risk would not be the best option, so were they diesel lumps instead?

I know that I've seen several lightweight's with RV8's so if these were not std fit, I assume some have been converted once in civilian ownership?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 04 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a lightweight has a V8, it's a retrofit...

As far as I know (which isn't very far Wink ) they all had the 2.25 petrol.

As for the term 'lightweight', they weigh more than a standard civvy series 3.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8's were never to my knowledge a standard fit in the lightweight, it wouldn't surprise me if the factory tried it at some point but none that I know of were put into production. All of the ones you see in public are retro fits.
The standard engine was the 2286 petrol but the Dutch did have LHD 2286 Diesels that were a bit of a failure, have a read here for details of them.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 07 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pictures today just an update so I can see that I've done something.

Been off and seen the Blacksmith and after a visual inspection he has agreed to repair the vent panel. We discussed spray hot metal and he agrees its the way forward with an external class powdercoat over the top which will not only give good further protection but stop any Zinc-Aluminium contact so no powdery Aluminium after a year.

Refitted the Rear right slave cylinder so that corner is sorted brake wise, hopefully do more on the brakes tomorrow if I wake early enough.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 07 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
We discussed spray hot metal and he agrees its the way forward with an external class powdercoat over the top which will not only give good further protection but stop any Zinc-Aluminium contact so no powdery Aluminium after a year.

From what you said about it in chat t'other night it seems a good way to go.

Of course, if you only want it to last another 40 days before crumbling away you could always slather the whole thing with waxoyl rust inducing devil spunk......

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 08 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to find out costs but it looks like Hot metal spray, powder coat and then Dinitrol internally.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 08 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the rain has stopped for the moment and to work.

Front right brake time.

Bit muckier in here than the rear, looks like something has seeped in here over time as well but all the seals look intact.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0660.jpg

Had to undo the bleed nipple again to release the pressure on the pads but once that was done the drum came off easily.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0661.jpg

Stripped and cleaned the slave cylinder which seems to be fine, here is how the component parts look.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0662.jpg

These are the shoes, as you can see there's a small amount of what seems to be oil contamination. I'm not bothered by it, if that's all there is since I last took the brakes apart 23 years ago then no problem for now. Quick clean with brake cleaner as well as the drum and it all goes back together.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0665.jpg

So thats another corner done and hopefully by tomorrow I'll have the third corner completed. The Rear left is up against a fence so that ones going to be a bit on the hard side to get to. May have to use a high lift jack and sort of swing the rear over, last time I used one though I shattered my left thumb as Reuben can attest to.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 09 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to get the master cylinder and servo off today.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0666.jpg

It's a dual circuit master cylinder, one circuit for the front brakes and one for the rear so has two brake lines going into it as you can see here.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0667.jpg

The servo can't be rebuilt as the four studs that hold it on are badly corroded, luckily a new one is only £65.34 so not too bad. Problem is the master cylinder. The piston is siezed solid so I will be having a chat with a company that reconditions them to see what they can do for me, if they can't re-con it I will have to buy a new one. A cheap no name pattern one is only £60 but I would prefer a genuine Girling as they last well, I suspect the price may run into several hundred for one though.

An empty space where things used to be.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0668.jpg

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 09 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this lot

https://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk/wcylinder.html#cylinder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 09 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Just emailed them, thank you.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the vent panel back yesterday, good and bad news. The bottom part that had rusted away has been replaced and its been filled with rust proofer.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0675.jpg

but unfortunately more holes have appeared where the metal has been corroded away.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0676.jpg

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0677.jpg

The metal here is too thin to weld so will need large sections replaced, as a temporary fix I am going to skim the holes with chemical metal, respray and fill the inside with Dinitrol rust proofer. The metal is simply too thin to Hot zinc spray.
Although these sections are repairable it will be cheaper, and it isn't cheap to buy a new one and get that Hot zinc sprayed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7