Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lightweight (Airportable) Landrover rebuild.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've been waiting for bits and repairs I've been researching more into it's history.

We know it was made in November 1974 but as the records show it disappeared until Feb 1983.
After a lot of input from various knowledgeable people it would appear the Chassis plate is the wrong type.
https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0674.jpg
This type of Chassis plate wasn't used until the late 70's early 80's and then rarely, in fact so rare that the companies that re-manufacture plates don't list it. There are no odd holes from previous plates being fitted so it seems the whole bulkhead was replaced sometime between the late 70's and early 80's before it re-appeared as an RN vehicle. To replace the bulkhead would require a complete strip down and with the new plate being the incorrect type there is a possibility it was returned to Solihull to do it which would be extremely rare as the REME had their own workshops for this type of thing.

I have been in discussion with the Royal Logistics Corp (RLC) who have no record of the vehicle from its chassis No. and no record of the Contract it was built for so it's pretty definite it wasn't an Army vehicle. With this in mind I have now put in a request to the MOD for the vehicles history if held from the old ADPCON computer management system or the Merlin management system and a request to the RAF Museum in Hendon to see if they have a record of the Chassis No. or the Contract No.
I suspect the RAF won't be able to find anything as they can only reference their records by Registration No. but you never know.
The MOD may well have destroyed all records by now but hopefully not, storage is after all cheap and I know of other vehicles who's dates in service were both before and after mine that were recorded and the records were retrievable.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a new rear cross member turn up.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF0688.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit to having a bit of Land rover want now, as I watched an episode of wheeler dealer's last night where they pimped out an old County 90 SWB that had a RV8, and they popped In a hairy cam for some more raw V8 sound! Laughing

There's a bloke around the corner from me with a Defender 90, presume it's got the TD5 engine? Anyways it's got a big exhaust and a snorkel on it, and the turbo whistle is excellent too, almost as good as a vintage diesel train!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some time to do a bit of work on the vent panel, first job clean back to bare metal.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF1018.jpg

Then first skim with chemical metal.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF1020.jpg

And the top.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF1021.jpg

And then sand it back to shape.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF1022.jpg

Its worked quite well but now I need paint stripper for the bigger area's so it gets a firm hold in place.
I'll be using red oxide primer which should fill in the pits pretty well so hopefully once resprayed it won't be obvious what has been done.
Fidge This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 24 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covered the area I need clean with paint stripper.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF1024.jpg

24 hours later and a quick go over with a wire wheel and we have

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF1025.jpg

A closer look shows just how bad it is

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF1026.jpg

After two skims with chemical metal but without final shaping

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF1027.jpg

So this has taught me that chemical metal has its place if used sparingly.

stu_m
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:39 - 24 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome

My dad had one until he passed away and left it to me and my 3 brothers! we couldn't bare to do anything with it so ended up selling it! wish I had kept it now though!!

I think we still have a few bits lying about!! I certainly know we have a set of diffs if your interested in them

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/stu_m_photos/Landrover/th_2012-12-18142620.jpg

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 25 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a lovely old 11a. Could be interested in bits, god knows how I could pick them up but thank you.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped into Halfords in Tottenham this afternoon just for a look about and found this reduced to £25.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/DSCF1032.jpg

As they normally sell for £80-£120 I'm happy to have got it for £25 as it will help the set up of the carb.

Last edited by sickpup on 23:07 - 01 Jan 2015; edited 1 time in total

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 07 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still been working on the vent panel. All the chemical metal skimming and reshaping has been completed and the undercoat of Zinc182 has been done. Parts need rubbing down to remove runs and redoing but overall it is completed.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/DSCF1043.jpg

The next step will be to spray it in deep bronze Green Synthetic Enamel which is a good hard wearing coach paint. Problem here is I need new spray guns and moisture traps so these have been ordered.

A mate is getting me these for work I did on his bike.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/LVLPsprayguns.jpg

And I've ordered a few of these from Ebay.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/Moisturetrap.jpg

I should have a set of 5 wheels turning up on Monday, thank you pdg so will eventually be able to fit the correct size tyres instead of the oversize ones I have.
I also found a litre of Deep Bronze Green paint hidden away that looks like it can still be used so that's saved me a bit of cash as well.

We have worked out a bit more on the history of the Land Rover. Sometime between its first date in service and 1983 it had a new chassis, new bulkhead and new rear bodywork. It also had an engine at a later date and although supplied with a soft top became a hardtop at some point and then was converted back to soft top on disposal. With this in mind there is very little left on it that is actually original.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg turned up earlier today and picked up my old lathe which I gave him. This was not fun to load. It's an old S&B lathe and was almost completely made of cast iron so weighs probably just short of 1/2 a ton. pdg Stripped off as much as he could which was surprisingly easy for something built 50+ years ago.

Loading it into the back of the Discovery was not fun, the cast iron body was I estimate over 200 kilo's by itself. We winched up using ratchet straps while wiggling it and then employed the high lift jacks.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Lathe/2014-11-10144809.jpg

All done in the end after 3 or so hours and many cups of tea and roll ups.

As a thank you for the lathe pdg brought me over some wheels he had which are 5" wide, Land Rover short wheelbase wheels which will be perfect for the new tyres I need in 6.50x16 size, the original very unusual size.
These wheels will obviously need cleaning up and then I will be getting them powder coated, I expect this won't be cheap so can wait a while.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/LandRover/2014-11-10171144.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That panel is looking good now! Thumbs Up
Are all the panels alloy or steel or a bit of both on these?
It will certainly be another epic off roader when it's all done.

Are you going for originality/std or are you building it like Binge's truck to be a mud monster?
And finally do you ever feel tempted to look for an old RV8 to transplant into her?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 10 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
That panel is looking good now! Thumbs Up
Are all the panels alloy or steel or a bit of both on these?

All the panels are Burma bright aluminium except the bulkhead and vent panel which rot like nothing you would believe.

stevo as b4 wrote:
It will certainly be another epic off roader when it's all done.

More of an all-roader than an off-roader. Primarily it will be for use on road but the place in Wales although in South Wales has some pretty horrendous weather at times so it will be used out there I suspect in the winter.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Are you going for originality/std or are you building it like Binge's truck to be a mud monster?

Pretty much original, its such a rare example it would be a pity to abuse it, its also had so many different configurations while in service that I can make it usable while still original. As its now going to be a hard top I am seriously thinking about fitting a headliner and side lining but this will cost around £750 so not cheap at all.

Got a link to Binge's truck?

stevo as b4 wrote:
And finally do you ever feel tempted to look for an old RV8 to transplant into her?

Much as I would like the power the running gear isn't really up to it so you have to be careful. With a little work I should be able to get a reasonable power hike to keep up with modern traffic.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 11 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Loading it into the back of the Discovery was not fun, the cast iron body was I estimate over 200 kilo's by itself. We winched up using ratchet straps while wiggling it and then employed the high lift jacks.

What do you mean 'not fun'? I can't think of anything better than manhandling nigh on 1/4ton of old iron, in the rain Laughing I might even do a project thread on the rebuild...

Those rims should clean up alright, they seem good structurally - getting them blasted and powdercoated shouldn't be a bank-breaking thing - although adding that to the cost of a set of (v. rare) 6.50's is going to cost more than a trip to the pub Wink

The lightweight - after casting my expert (yeah, right) eye over it is better condition than the pictures shown heretofore imply. If it were simply a 'get it on the road' proposition it would be quick and relatively easy. From what I gather though, pup is going for a decent restoration of service spec which is going to take longer and cost more, but the outcome will be worth the effort.

I'm pretty much in agreement about the rV8 idea, the 2.25p isn't a bad engine. In decent tune it's nice to drive. 'Keeping up with modern traffic' is also quite subjective. My series 3, which I've been using almost daily this year, might have a 'comfortable' top speed of about 50mph, but it's very usable. What I'm saying is modern traffic is actually pretty damn slow, especially anywhere near a town. Fitting an overdrive might help out on main roads, but contrary to popular belief they don't add a lot of speed, although the ~5mph they add is more comfortable to do. Even on the motorway, being able to travel at about 55 isn't going to hold people up.

The other thing to think about while wanting to increase power is that while you might want 2014 speed, you're controlling it with 1940's steering and brakes... Ok, the car was made in the 70's, but the design of the running gear didn't change.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing the progress, especially having seen it in the metal now.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 12 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
The other thing to think about while wanting to increase power is that while you might want 2014 speed, you're controlling it with 1940's steering and brakes... Ok, the car was made in the 70's, but the design of the running gear didn't change.

Lightweights were a bit different from the standard S3. The brake system is the dual circuit type with a servo which was optional on the civi 88. Also the axles are higher rated but yes the steering is just the same. Luckily mine has virtually no play in the steering so ok there as well.

Adding 5-20bhp should make for an easier drive and quite likely higher mpg. I am seriously thinking that when I fit a lead free head I use one with 9-1 compression rather than the 7-1 the one fitted has.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 12 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the 2.25 well fettled (I would say 'tuned' but then everyone will assume I mean 'race tuning yeh blud'....) is imo the most sensible option. Upping the CR a touch as you suggest certainly won't do any harm. There's a lot it's possible to do without going mental (possibly less on yours given it's FFR spec). i.e. I wouldn't recommend going the 'big bore free flow' exhaust route as it kills the low end driveability.

The unleaded head conversion is probably more worth doing for the CR rise. I have the original (non-unleaded converted) head on my s3 and have been running it on unleaded without any additives for maybe 8,000 miles - the other day I thought I'd check the valve clearances and they were still within spec (last time I did them was when I got it) so the stories of "epic valve seat regression and certain death using unleaded" might just be a little bit hyped up.

The following is for the sake of conversation....

iirc you've still got the 10" SLS drums all round though. The braking system is the same as on mine (dual circuit, servo, 10") and yes, if you keep it nicely in adjustment they're pretty good - but not to the standard of the system on the range rover / discovery (vehicles that had the V8 as standard).

Uprated axles - aren't they uprated cases for weight handling? Even so, the 'normal' series diffs are stronger than the RR ones anyway and the wheel bearings etc. are the same (and they still have UJs in the swivels instead of 'modern' CV joints). And the V8 is lighter than the 2.25..... Oh, and they're still clamped to set of multi leaf cart springs.

The steering, even when adjusted properly with no play is still a veritable forest of links and balljoints - plus it doesn't self-centre.

I'd not tell anyone to not do a V8 conversion, but I wouldn't put one in mine unless I was doing a fair bit else to go with it.

Major Doss
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:10 - 13 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember seeing that old girl years ago, glad you're doing it up. Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 14 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm agreeing with the views of Sickpup and PDG on the sense of retaining the solid old 2.25 petrol, but with some sensible modifications/improvements such as better carb/ignition and uprated cooling etc.

But I've just seen this link and thought of the lols!
https://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=81634

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 16 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spray guns are here now...

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/DSCF1119.jpg

The compressor I have has a pressure control integrated into the outlet so I can easily drop the working pressure down to the required 20psi. I don't need a separate moisture trap as these are integrated into the spray guns.

I've got the paint, found a new 1 litre can in the bottom of my toolbox which will be fine to spray once I've added 10% thinners so now I just need to wait for a day when it doesn't rain for hours.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 16 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Monday, this week is reported to be a dry week (in the south / east).

Missed this first time round. I do like watching build projects. In the olden days I used to do shot-blasting for my step-dad's business, to earn some pocket ££. It's the sort of thing I'd imagine would have been useful to you for this project. Especially on things like those rims.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 17 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I seem to remember the RAf used to race supercharged Lightweights

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 17 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there was a lot of fun to be had there!

I may know of where a 2litre Rover engine+ big snail is sat doing nothing useful! Laughing
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 17 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Out of interest, why three spray guns?

At a guess, the one to the left is physicly smaller for detail work/hard to get at areas. The other two I can't see a difference with besides the controls being different colours.

Mainly because someone else paid for them in exchange for work.

The little one is a mini HVLP, the Green one is a 1.3mm nozzle LVLP and the Gold one is a 1.8mm nozzle LVLP.
The 1.8 is suitable for primer and the 1.3 uses less air.

Not having a huge compressor at home I need spray guns that use as little air as possible.

LongJohn22
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:01 - 18 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

I seem to remember the RAf used to race supercharged Lightweights

Not just the RAF.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Fly-Army-Army-Rallying-by-Les-Dalton-BOOK-Paperback-softback-/181385790694
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7