Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3200 kms in Europe on Chinese 125s for Charity

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MikeSinnis
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:33 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: 3200 kms in Europe on Chinese 125s for Charity Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My name is Mike Garrod and I want to become more involved with forums and answer those wuestions people ask on forums, but dont actually ask the people who know directly.

Ive just completed this on a Sinnis 125 with my colleague Lukas. Hope you dont mind me posting just a link on here - but it would take weeks for me to copy it all over.

I work for Sinnis Motorcycles here in Brighton and I test the bikes as well as being an account manager here. I love my job, mainly because I do believe in what I sell - so I thought I would prove it by doing a stupid adventure on a 125! And a chinese 125 at that.
You may think Im biased? Fair enough, but let me tell you I have tested some crap and Im not afraid to tell you I simply wont sell it - so we dont buy it. Others do - thats up to them.

I would be happy for any feedback on my trip.

https://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016460

3200 kms or 2000 miles on two Sinnis 125cc Machines through 7 countries. No breakdowns, the bikes cost £1500 for the Cafe and £1295 for the SP125 and the kit (which could have all been dumped bar the Lomo bag, Twisty ride Iphone holder, Chatterbox Bluetooth set and a decent coverall waterproof suit). Id say not bad at all
Didnt even swap the tyres out for stickier ones and the only maints was a spark plug and a couple of bulbs.
Raised a bit of money for charity too. How bad can it be?

I loved it all - even in the monsoon. I have loads of Go Pro video and Muvi Video that im now editing (we had four cameras)

I woke up the next day wanting to get back out there. Ok, maybe on a 250cc + machine, but thats only because of speed on the motorways. The 125s were perfectly capable on the A roads.

Great experience. And would gladly help anyone else in their quest to do the same

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:57 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: 3200 kms in Europe on Chinese 125s for Charity Reply with quote

MikeSinnis wrote:
...I work for Sinnis Motorcycles here in Brighton...
3200 kms or 2000 miles on two Sinnis 125cc Machines...£1500 for the Cafe and £1295 for the SP125...Lomo bag, Twisty ride Iphone holder, Chatterbox Bluetooth set and a decent coverall waterproof suit...only maints was a spark plug and a couple of bulbs.... loads of Go Pro video and Muvi Video...

With a bit more effort I'm sure you could have put a lot more product placement (sponsorship) in that post. I'm cynical like that.

However, glad you could product test your own merchandise (that's the cynic in me again) and you had a good time. Would you be so happy if the bikes had fallen apart?. Would you be telling anyone?

Again cynical but charity angle is a bit of a dodgy peg to pin it on. At least Ewan and Charley did long way round just to make tv footage (and merchandise - UNICEF came in with long way down).

MikeSinnis wrote:
...wanting to get back out there. Ok, maybe on a 250cc + machine...
Shame you only list one 250cc then. Hobson's choice for the next trip. Any problems with the Suzuki GN engine in with Chinese frame and electrics? More product placement/advertising?

Last edited by map on 11:06 - 15 Oct 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:02 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not spam cos he's not asking for donations and he's already done the trip.

I'm impressed that you were prepared to put your money where your mouth is so to speak. Mr. Green

MikeSinnis
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:05 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying but yes I would simply have decided not to import it - ive done it publically before on facebook

This is on our facebook page with pictures of another bike I tested.

https://www.facebook.com/SinnisMotorcycles/posts/10152386616077333

- for me honestly is best! Whether that pays the bills or not

Have a look if you want

MikeSinnis
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:09 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont spam haha
You can donate if you want - thats up to you.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:50 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSinnis wrote:
I dont spam haha
You can donate if you want - thats up to you.

We get plenty of people posting saying along the lines of "hi, we want to do this awesome touring ride, as its for charity can you donate money to pay for it and some will go to the charity". Laughing

This thread is awesome cos you're not spamming and cos you took what would probably be described on here as a PoS if someone asked if was a good bike to bike. Mr. Green

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jumped the gun there with my initial rating, and have Thumbs Up on your other posts as an apology.

Just expected boring spam, I was wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeSinnis
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:03 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that - I used to run a national forum ages ago, and spammers just ruin it for everyone.

HotdogMcDraw
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:07 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to read something like this, i will admit i'm not a fan of Chinese bikes but the link and what you say comes across as someone (or your company) who only gives the best for their customers. If only all Chinese bike retailers have the attitude as your companys, they would have a better reputation.

Two thousand miles and no breakdowns eh? Bet some popular named makes would break down within that mileage Very Happy

Thumbs Up

Honda Rebel 125 (L Plate Warrior) - Nov 2013 to Aug 2014, BMW G650 GS ABS - Aug 2014 to Current

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your companies involvement with Jinan Qinqi Motorcycle Co. ? Are you an independent company that imports their bikes or do Qinqi have or have had in the past some form of actual interest in Sinnis?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:37 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that 90% of the chinese bikes I've ridden have been fine, but thats over 2-3 months, not year round. However, big Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trip, some great photo's too.

Weird, I was just looking at pictures of you on the internet the other day..... Mostly looking for any reviews of the Apache 250 on your site.
Been eyeballing it for a year nearly, mainly because I wanted a cheap to run commuter but secondhand Japanese 250's seem pricey for what they are. £2700 for a 2008 CBF250 with 20,000 miles for example.

I had a Chinese 125 for 3 years, road every day, kept outside for first 2 years, did about 20k km.
Wish I hadn't sold it, but 9bhp on a good day is a bit limiting when you need to chase other road users and dish out some kerbside justice.

Have you sold many of the Apache 250? Struggling to find anyone shouting from the rooftops about it.

You do sell some good looking 125's though Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer ok I`m impressed! Thumbs Up

What the hell is that stuck to your chin???? Shocked Laughing

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up and fair play on the bike you used.proves you don't need a huge budget or top spec bike Togo of and do some touring on Very Happy

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
Nice write up and fair play on the bike you used.proves you don't need a huge budget or top spec bike Togo of and do some touring on Very Happy

You may have seen these guys already. The did 54,000 miles over 5.5 years on YBR-125's

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

cracking ride by the look of it

MikeSinnis
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:58 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was very enjoyable - has taken about a week to get over the neck ache though - and sleep. I have found a new love for sleep haha

Thanks guys.

As for the Apache 250, we are waiting at the moment for the new gen engine (EFI) unit to be created by our factory. Its been a pain as we have a lot of interest in them, but we want the next Gen to be better - and thats taking time. Its all down to the new EFI system we want to use.

Deffo looking 2015 though - best things are worth waiting for. I need to get one over and test it first

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your post. It is good to see you can take the bike and go round Europe and still have a bike when you got back.

Wouldn't see Victor Devine doing that would ya?

PS You would sell one of those 250s to me if it gets here and you can do some runs on them to prove them, so to speak. Also providing spares can be gotten.

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:35 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read Clapping We get the Cafe here in Malaysia under a local brand called KTN Rolling Eyes with USD forks, a cafe-style seat cowl instead of a humped seat and weird handlebars. Wasn't impressed when I saw one in the flesh earlier, but your trip has made me a bit more interested..

https://img.rnudah.com/images/99/9924380346.jpg

MikeSinnis
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:39 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours has the seat cowl, but we took it off for luggage sake

Im not too keen on that one I must admit - maybe its the rear seat. More pics needed haha

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:06 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusingly enough, a bit more research reveals that the KTN thingy bears more resemblance to the Sinnis Retrostar.

https://fasttrackmotorcycles.co.uk/sales/FZgHxz_zoom.jpg

https://keretamoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/KTN-GP-125-Classic-15.jpg

The USD forks have leading axles, which doesn't do any favours for the bike's overall look.

Interesting to note that there's actually more seat under the cowl, I had assumed you could unbolt the cowl and have a brat-style seat. Definitely prefer the flat bars and gaitered forks of the original Sinnis.

Frankly I wish the local importers would stop bastardizing the things they bring in Laughing

MikeSinnis
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:14 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough - the star logo they use my colleauge here designed for our trackstar, and the factory simply copied it and gave it "to everyone" haha - hes not happy

Genius

Thats our old retro star - the new one is even more similar (but better - obviously) haha

https://www.sinnismotorcycles.com/images/bike_area_images/15/8/right.jpg[/url]

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: 3200 kms in Europe on Chinese 125s for Charity Reply with quote

MikeSinnis wrote:
Hi guys,

answer those wuestions people ask on forums, but dont actually ask the people who know directly.

Kindly answer then

wr6133 wrote:
What's your companies involvement with Jinan Qinqi Motorcycle Co. ? Are you an independent company that imports their bikes or do Qinqi have or have had in the past some form of actual interest in Sinnis?

MikeSinnis
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:40 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are very closely tied in with Qinqi - we are independant yes, but we have excellent ties with them at the factory.
We import from a coupkle of different factorys but our cosest tie is with them
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3