Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finally got me a bike!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:31 - 18 Oct 2014    Post subject: Finally got me a bike! Reply with quote

Been a long time coming. Took a few years to get my licence due to babies, redundancies and job changes, but finally got it sorted last month. Some superb timing from the bank seen us get the money sorted last week, and it only took me a day to get my first bike - a 2001 Y reg Honda VFR800fi. Done the buy last week but had to wait until today to pick it up as I was on holiday all week. Got my dad to take me over to Edinburgh to pick it up and we took a couple of pics on the way back

https://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag257/kamikazebob/20141018_152141_zps7c81b188.jpg
https://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag257/kamikazebob/20141018_152223_zpsb338d534.jpg

And of course, my missus took a few pics when we got home

https://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag257/kamikazebob/IMG-20141018-WA0006_zps9ad78fea.jpg
https://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag257/kamikazebob/IMG-20141018-WA0007_zps80e4b63f.jpg

Wee man likes the bike but he's not going on for a while yet - he's only 3 and the missus says the kids aren't allowed until they're 16 (we'll see about that one)
https://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag257/kamikazebob/IMG-20141018-WA0012_zpsc79618f0.jpg

Just a pity I'm fecked with the cold since I came back from holiday. Had planned to disappear for a few hours and get used to the bike this afternoon, but spent most of it hacking up and feeling like shit. Think I'll be taking some very long detours home from work this week!

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any restriction on age, but pillions' feet need to reach a footrest.

Child safety seat, 3-8 years:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/child+safety+seat+stamatakis+_14203000

(Personally I wouldn't like to take anyone under 10.)

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not safe to take too young children as pillion. Their heads are heavy and their necks thin/weak. That much of pressure on their spine can't be good, not even talking about potential accident. The lid is heavy on its own and you also do have to count in g-forces + wind.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
It's not safe to take too young children as pillion. Their heads are heavy and their necks thin/weak. That much of pressure on their spine can't be good, not even talking about potential accident. The lid is heavy on its own and you also do have to count in g-forces + wind.

So much bollocks in so few words...

I used to go on the back of my dad's bikes from about 8. Children are more flexible than adults, and the strength of their bones in relation to their body weight is greater.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice first big bike Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:34 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

So much bollocks in so few words...

I used to go on the back of my dad's bikes from about 8. Children are more flexible than adults, and the strength of their bones in relation to their body weight is greater.

+1, my nephew regularly went on the back of my brother in laws bike from about 9 onwards. Have you ever been pillion, you don't get the same hit of wind as the rider, unless its a stupid sports bike pillion seat then you are 10 feet taller than the rider. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

https://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/f2/4d/d5/f24dd55dc20cff1ec2e3a142dcc9ad68.jpg

the rider is 5......

Back on topic, good choice of first bike! They sound ace with a nice can on. Stinkwheel is our resident expert on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:56 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'm well chuffed with it, the guy I bought it off was almost crying when we left! He bought a 2006 VFR vtec last weekend and that's the only reason he was selling.

Wasn't completely serious about the wee man on the bike just yet btw. I know he has to reach the pegs but both he and my daughter (she's 5 in January) are autistic, so they'll have to be switched on enough to remember to hold on before I even attempt getting them on there. Planning on trying them out when they're about 10 or so, depending on their progress.

Funny thing was, my mate was at mines for a BBQ in the summer with his bike, and they couldn't stay off the thing, both of them! She was more interested in taking my dad's dog a walk yesterday tho.

https://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag257/kamikazebob/55ee5de144b5293905a11b53f8dc9696_zpscc0bb808.jpg

Oh, and the missus - who was against me getting my licence and a bike for "you'll get deaded" reasons - has been suddenly interested in riding, altho I think she's trying to just make sure I watch myself when I'm out there. Going to get her booked up on a GetOn session so she can see what she's missing out on.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 8 and 9 is not three, but alright, your decision. Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhoo, back to the OP`s original thread.

Looks like a nice bike you got yourself there, enjoy Thumbs Up

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my best memories of biking when I was a kid was on the back of my dad's gsxr1100, on the way back from the Donnington motogp iirc. There was an accident on the motorway on the way home so they shut all three lanes, I couldn't put a number on how many bikes had filtered to the front. Hazey childhood memory tells me hundreds.

Anyway the police basically opened a lane to let the bikes through, nothing but miles of empty motorway ahead, after all of the bikers had spent a day watching racing. Speeds were achieved that I am still not sure I've gone faster than (and I've topped both my zzr and cbr out since then).

Kids on the bike = biker for life.

Oh yeah, nice bike Thumbs Up

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike OP. Just needs a more audible pipe so peeps can hear you coming and bother to look for you!

On the kids: Personally I think any reasonably coordinated 5-7 year old is ok for a short "round the block" style trip. And 7+ are fine for a more leisurely excursion.
I've never been particularly comfortable taking a pillion, but kids are great IMO as their lack of substantial weight results in less adverse effects on the bike and your controlling of it, this makes for a more fun experience for you and child.

Of course, I'm talking about other peoples kids, and at the parents disgression. With the amount of traffic/hazards/idiots on UK roads now, I currently feel inclined to prevent MY daughter from even catching wind that I own a bike, let alone come for a spin on it*

*likely to change.

Last edited by 1cyl on 18:51 - 19 Oct 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike mate Thumbs Up

When did you get your licence or have you had it for years but couldn't get a bike?

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:20 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only got my licence last month. Wasn't planning on getting something until the spring, but the bank manager called the day after I passed my test, and I got hopeful. Took a bit of working on the missus beforehand (and in the bank) to get the funds required last week, now got myself on the road.

For a day, at least. Went out for a short spin earlier to put a line on the NFL games tonight (which is getting fucked btw) and fill up the bike for the working week ahead. When I came out of the bookies the beast wouldn't turn over!

Cue a couple of phone calls, attempted jump starts, culminated by a long trudge home pushing the big bastard back to the house. Asked the guy I bought it from if he knew anything about it (already replaced the reg-rec before someone suggests it) and he was very apologetic, offered to buy me a new battery. Tried the ignition again a wee while ago, after letting it sit for a bit, and nowt, so it's definitely fecked.

The joys!!!

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you try to start it?

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now - nothing. It was weakly trying to catch at first when it happened, and almost caught a couple of times when bumping it, but now the lights just dim and nothing happens.

jeddy11
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be battery or main fuse etc.. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:51 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, am fairly positive it'll be the battery. There's still a connection, and it was trying to catch earlier. Plus the clock keeps reseting itself to 1am each time I try the starter.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it in Neutral with the side stand up and the kill switch off? You wouldn't be the first to be caught out by one of the above playing up.

Some bikes will still crank over with the kill switch set to kill, which could wear the battery down to dead.

Just an idea anyway.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Nice bike. I think they have aged really well and manage not to look dated.

New battery, and while you are at it get an Optimate or similar wired up.

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:08 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through all the checks, just in case. I don't use the kill switch but checked anyways, and sidestand, neutral and anything else I could think of just in case I was being a twat!

CieL
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:47 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting the bike, mate. I remember how I felt when I finally got to ride my first bike home. Changed a few bikes since then but couldn't replicate the joy I felt that first time.

Sucks to have problems from the get go but you'll get used to them, they're part of the whole biking experience. Get a trickle charger first and see if you can make it work with that, as you're gonna need it in the future as well. If the battery still doesn't work, get a new one and hope for the best.

BravoCharlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bike, I really like VFR's.

I'm not a fan of the monster stickers but that's just me!

check through the fuse box, could be something trivial. I gained my GT550 for free thanks to a blown fuse (and a decent mate) Thumbs Up

if not, new battery and work from there.

good luck with it!

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:21 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wee update:

Guy I bought the bike from has been great. He popped by work yesterday with a battery charger and some spare fuses for me to replace if required. Charged the battery last night, replaced it in the bike and hey presto, it started no bother. Tried it a few times, all good. Even took it out a run for a bit and filled it up, multiple stops, starts and stalls (still getting used to the clutch) and all went well. Even started up this morning after sitting overnight.

The seller is going to pick up the bike from me tomorrow to have the electrics checked just in case (at his cost) and depending on the results he'll get it fixed or give me my money back, as he doesn't want to sell me a lemon.

Hoping it's something simple and I'll have the bike back in plenty of time for commuting later this week and getting used to it properly. Don't really want to start shopping again.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamikaze Bob wrote:
Wee update

Seller sounds like a top bloke Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2