Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mito 443

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:06 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fucking about continues, done a drawing to get some bell mouths made up for the carbs, not much space so they aren't very long.. Took the dims off this pic Wink

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/FDA1D37A-BE4A-40B5-BDC1-69FD97E84FBF.png_zpsqyket6il.jpeg

Seems I need to have a good read up on mikuni needles and tapers before ordering some to try as seemingly no one has a fucking clue what the codes mean! Then I'll get back on the dyno at some point.

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:16 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update

Bellmouths made up from my drawing and in the post, will be a shame to put a filter over them!

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/DA78B8B7-CBC9-41D2-9D90-9610579996E3_zps1uzlatx8.jpg

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/13CD07C6-F2FC-483C-A02C-6EBBE804B2C7_zpsdgztjldp.jpg

Got some more needles on order, hopefully next time it's on the dyno we will have a fighting chance at getting it somewhere near right.

Decided I'm going to have this paint scheme, but Yamaha blue instead of red. Might have YAGIVA or something too instead of Yamaha lettering, don't really want it to be seen as a TZ copy. Or maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing? Not sure.

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/tz250_zpsgho7jszt.jpg

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice but what's with the cone point screw and locknut fixing? That's just asking for the engine to ingest a tiny locknut.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:11 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what the guy who made them put on.. I was just gonna use grub screws without any lock nuts but if a nut came loose it's just fall off... It's outside the filter

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shiny stuff! Very Happy

Have you got any tips on reading Mikuni idle and power jet sizes/fonts etc.

I've got a bag full of jets here and can't see the numbers properly on any of them. Working with tiny bits of glass has fucked my eyes. Laughing

Oh and just out of interest with your Bell mouths, was it a space issue or was you told not to put a full 180deg rolled radius on them? I've always thought/read that 180degree radius's is technically the best?

I see Pete's point about the tiny grub screws, but if your not drilling the carb bodies to fit them, I see no reason why they would come loose and go into the engine?

I suppose for neatness making them interference fit would have been good for looks wise, but I'm not sure how good an engineering practice it is to make parts interference fit, if there's another way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:20 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the dims they're made to they may need heating up a tad to slip on, grub screws for a bit of insurance. Trade off between functionality and form, it's not like anyone's gonna see them when they're on.

I thought that too when he sent me the pics, my drawing had more of a rolled edge although I'm not sure what real difference it's gonna make. At least the way these are the filter will be a much more snug fit. They may well make no difference at all other than that!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend to shrink them on, you might as well bond them to the carbs and remove any risk at all.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:30 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken, but... I don't think there's any risk to remove! They're outside the filter and nowhere near the opening. It makes sense they they're removable too in case I want to get another set of different dimensions to try etc.

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:47 - 07 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Stevo I'm not using power jets but my pilots and mains have all just been a simple number stamped on the body. It's the needles that are difficult to decipher.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 07 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just need a microscope I think to read my jet sizes?

I've not even got hold of any spare/alternative needles yet for my new carb, but I bet that will be fun too?

It's a Mikuni TMX30 I'll be using, though the internet says that Keihin PWK carbs are much easier and quicker to tune than Mikuni flat slide units?

I'll be taking my bike to the dyno place and throwing a box of jets at the bloke, as I don't trust or feel happy trying to set up carbs from scratch on the road, and reading plugs these days with unleaded fuel is close to a waste of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:46 - 08 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they're easier to setup because the info is more readily available but I'm sure the mikunis are just as capable.

I only ended up running these cos someone I know had a load so I bought 3 sets and sold two, these ended up owing me nothing so all I've spent money on is jets and needles so I can stomach it!!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 08 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can measure jets very easily. Take a long thin tapered something and paint it black with a magic marker. Now when you poke it gently into your jet it will scrape the marker off with a sharply defined line. Measure the diameter at that point with a digital caliper.

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:13 - 09 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellmouths on, have to see how they perform as there's not much space but the air filter is a much better fit with them on.

Need to relocate the carb overflow catch tank

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/A941E88D-A05F-41BF-8E58-7418B5942756_zpsbjk72ygn.jpg

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:41 - 08 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the fairings back from Alan at RR Racepaints, going away for a few days early tomorrow so no time to fit them Sad but happy with the finish Smile

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/3D461456-A55D-4067-B53E-BD0123DB3C54_zpsiaeo0lee.jpg

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/E9A9C8C3-8877-4A12-9EBF-BA5059D633E8_zpsjbs1m1au.jpg

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/69E10609-EBE1-4635-BACE-FB13FE093E00_zpsadodavfs.jpg

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/06793691-ECC7-45C0-8756-A5D14F132875_zps1xykyn5w.jpg

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 08 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairings look great. Thumbs Up

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:45 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clothes on, pleased with the outcome

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/2C2A42B5-1F92-47A6-A69D-86B938A2DF41_zpsmco9op41.jpg

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/5FD90FC8-458E-44A6-B798-7541F53467A8_zpsgxoii0ru.jpg

Got a few miles in and the flat spot found on the dyno is quite pronounced on the road, it feels like it needs a good tooth off the front or a few on the back as well, I'm cruising around in second at the moment which isn't ideal.

Plenty to improve but at least it can be ridden.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate that looks spectacular. You should be proper pleased with how it's come out.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done sir! Clapping

I am quite jealous of course, not many folks these days get to ride such a machine, and it also looks stunning in the new paint. Thanks for sharing this here. I haven't commented a great deal, as it is quite clear you knew more about what you were doing than I did Laughing But I have been following the thread with interest all the way, and looking forward to this day perhaps almost as much as you have yourself.

The two stroke is dead - long live the two stroke! Thumbs Up Karma
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:22 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate the paint job looks stunning, and really does the rest of the bike justice to make it effectively a trick brand new big cc 2stroke sports bike!

Get it featured in some magazines I would say, and also send pics to Mr Yamaha and tell him they need to start making bikes like this ASAP! Laughing

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:31 - 18 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never liked the exhaust support hanger, the bare ally just stood out too much and it looked a bit crap albeit very functional.. Bit of a cheat but it's great what you can do with a bit of 10 quid carbon wrap, no longer stands out Smile

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/16FD7D45-B8BB-4422-828F-6A460B2E5A2D_zps9jkoifoh.jpg

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/yazza54/3330FA5A-62CF-4D66-A8E6-C098A84515E4_zpsuebypsbo.jpg

Also changed the carb needles but the weathers been that piss poor I've not had a chance to try it.

Jazoli
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:35 - 18 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riiiiing ting ting ting ting

Bike:Speed Triple

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP ..... thank you for this thread Thumbs Up Karma

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question funnily enough for OP too.
Is your Zeeltronic ignition system an a.c. or a d.c. version?
It's my understanding that the RD's use a self generating a.c. ignition system as std, so just wondered which way you went with the programmable?

Yazza54
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:51 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ignitech not a zeel.

You have to put the output wires from the self generating coils to ground. Still have 3 wires to the reg/rec etc. So it charges but doesn't self generate. CDI is powered via a switched live on ignition. Uses the same YPVS pickup, wasted spark.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6