Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First track day advice?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:50 - 11 Nov 2014    Post subject: First track day advice? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I've been really tempted to do a track day recently and was thinking about doing my first one on my Bandit 600.

If I enjoy it enough I would use the Ducati 900ss I've been working on for a few months and put some money into making it slightly more race spec

Questions are:
Do I need a one piece leather suit (I'm off to motorcycle live at the end of November so could pick one up then?)

Do I need special insurance?

Will going there invalidate my current insurance?

Is this a bad idea?

Laughing Thanks in advance

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 11 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a one piece leather suit or a two piece that zips together all around.

You don't need special insurance but can get track day insurance if you feel you want it.

If you crash you can not legally make a claim on your normal everyday insurance.

Just have fun It's not a race just ride at your own pace. Bring a pressure reader for your tyres as you will need to let some air out as they will get hot.

Might be handy to bring a few tools and spare clutch/brake levers.

Again just have fun.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:32 - 11 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for that.

And just don't ever mention it to my insurance company? What are the story's about people from the company coming to track days to check out peoples plates?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:21 - 11 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:

And just don't ever mention it to my insurance company? What are the story's about people from the company coming to track days to check out peoples plates?

It's only an issue if you were going to crash on track, then claim you crashed on the road, nothing to do with a trackday... please pay out mr insurer.

Seeing that's it's a bandit 600, you'll probably be financially better off calling a scrap yard to weigh it in than claiming on insurance if you did actually totally mangle it Razz.

If you don't have leathers, I'd look to ebay etc, then consider getting them altered to fit if need be.
Much cheaper.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 12 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: First track day advice? Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:

Do I need a one piece leather suit (I'm off to motorcycle live at the end of November so could pick one up then?)

Do I need special insurance?

Will going there invalidate my current insurance?

Is this a bad idea?

Laughing Thanks in advance

No, two piece is fine, but ti must zip together all of the way around usually.

No, if you crash and have fully comp insurance then you could (if you were crafty) push it into a nearby hedge and get your insurers to pay out. Some people also cover/remove their number plates at the track in case insurers come and take down numberplates (never seen anyone doing this in 7 years of doing trackdays).

Won't invalidate your insurance, you're just not covered if you crash on track.

And it's a wonderful idea, have fun.

I've crashed my road bike twice on track days this year. Embarassed

Last edited by Wafer_Thin_Ham on 11:16 - 12 Nov 2014; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:56 - 12 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: First track day advice? Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

Some people also cover/remove their number plates at the track in case insurers come and take down numberplates (never seen anyone doing this in 7 years og doing trackdays).

Could easily be someone walking around with a mobile surreptitiously filming.
Doubt they bother, however.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 12 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: First track day advice? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Could easily be someone walking around with a mobile surreptitiously filming.
Doubt they bother, however.

True. Then whenever they have someone on fully comp claim they crashed on the road, they just need to go through all of their footage for every track day for a past few weeks. Thumbs Up Wink

carl_easykart
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take your number plate off. Problem solved Smile

Just go at your own speed, look towards the end of the corners, if you come to fast into a corner don't look at the gravel trap of grass as you will end up in it just look around the corner.

Carl
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1