Lathe rebuild/restoration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:44 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will try and get some pictures of it. Currently has a bike in the way and a sheet of bubble wrap over the top

All the best

Keith

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 20 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
You are guilt tripping me into thinking about sorting mine out.

Best get your arse in gear then Wink

Today, I did finish getting the cabinet cleaned and moved it into the shed (by myself, I'm such a man...)

https://i.imgur.com/fbDfmXh.jpg

Then, I put the first coat of the white inside.

https://i.imgur.com/xefqfKn.jpg

Definitely going to need at least a second coat inside, then probably 3 on the outside. I can't do another coat inside until tomorrow now so that's about it again...

Well, that was a surprisingly short post considering how long the actual work took Rolling Eyes

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another tiny update...

They say (not sure who 'they' are, but they profess to know what they're on about) that a picture speaks a thousand words, so hereafter follows a 1001 word essay on my 2nd coat of white paint and 1st coat of black.

https://i.imgur.com/iPrqVpW.jpg

Shiny.

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any of you lathe owners anywhere near Tamworth?

I have an 18 inch crash cymbal with a cracked edge that could do with being a 14 inch.

I have beer... Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thefatcontroller.co.uk/portfolio/albums/userpics/nice-jazz.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:59 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome resto! Very Happy

If you are local to Kent, or don't mind a drive down, I've got some de-ruster which you dilute with water. Fill a bucket up, stick a piece of ply/plastic/glass over it to smother it, and the rust will be eaten off of any steel/iron bits you want cleaning up without having to attack it with a wire brush/grinder.
It literally converts the rust into like a black dust/soot which washes off in warm water easily.

Ah-mezzzin stuff! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 03:00 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.p.phrealy wrote:

I have an 18 inch crash cymbal with a cracked edge that could do with being a 14 inch.

I have beer... Mr. Green

Need to be a fucking big arse lathe for that! Razz

I've struggled to find someone to true up a sprocket carrier I had welded onto a 13" scooter wheel.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.p.phrealy wrote:

I have beer... Mr. Green

Sounds like a job for a water jet cutter. Try Aquacut in knutsford.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
i.p.phrealy wrote:

I have beer... Mr. Green

Need to be a fucking big arse lathe for that! Razz

I've struggled to find someone to true up a sprocket carrier I had welded onto a 13" scooter wheel.

naah, bolt my hi hat clutch through the middle, stick that in the chuck and just lathe off the outer 2 inches.

job jobbed! Thumbs Up

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.p.phrealy wrote:

naah, bolt my hi hat clutch through the middle, stick that in the chuck and just lathe off the outer 2 inches.

job jobbed! Thumbs Up

Having a 9" clearance over the bed is what makes it a big arse lathe needed for that job - mine has 4.5" centre height.......

I recommend scissors Thumbs Up

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:47 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a big enough lathe to do it on, nowhere near where Tamworth though!

Edit: when I say 'I' I mean at work, I dont even have a garage at home Sad

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 14:35 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
i.p.phrealy wrote:

job jobbed! Thumbs Up

Having a 9" clearance over the bed is what makes it a big arse lathe needed for that job - mine has 4.5" centre height.......

^^ This.

You wouldn't hold the cymbal from the outside anyway, so a central holding device would need to be used.
It's the gap between centre and bed which will restrict you. My Grandad has a fairly big lathe, with a removable split bed, and even that doesn't take some of the gear I want turning. Razz

I was surprised how many workshops out there do have some amazing machines in them though! With the job I am currently doing, I'm in and out of some fantastic industrial factories/workshops all around Kent and East Sussex. I spend half of my time walking around with my jaw on the ground.

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:28 - 25 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress to report? Very Happy

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 25 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress!

Well, another little bit...

The intermediate shaft runs in ball races which are 'supposed' to be lubricated with oil. On this machine at some point in the past grease was injected through the oil ports (a standard grease gun does fit on them).

Not really a bad thing, as I mentioned - grease is better than no lubrication at all. When I come to clean it up it will be a fairly straightforward matter of mildy heating everything with a heatgun and letting the grease flow off, then degreasing fully before flushing with the correct oil for reassembly. I would be doing the same thing even if it was oiled anyway so no dig deal at all.

I took this picture mainly as a record of which way the link pins/levers are connected for reassembly, but you can just see the solidified grease that has worked it's way past the pulley (that I removed) lip and all around the back of the other pulley at the bottom of the image:

https://i.imgur.com/N8529Yk.jpg

Previous to this, I 'finished' painting the cabinet. When I had messed around with the shaft/link I had a bit of a tidy up (ikea basket drawer thingy used now to store all the lathe parts while it's disassembled, cleanest at the top, dirtiest at the bottom) and put the bed back on the cabinet.

Ok, so you could extrapolate this picture yourself from ones I've previously posted, but hey - here it is:

https://i.imgur.com/eTpC3WW.jpg

So, still to do - almost everything except paint the cabinet and bed...

Now, I've been thinking about some of the other parts and just how I'm going to prep them for paint. Quite a few of the castings have brass/bronze bushes, the headstock has an aluminium lid (which has so far resisted all my efforts to remove the hinge pins) and the doors and other fittings for the cabinet are (I think) cast aluminium as well. I have seen wildly varying 'reports' on the effect electrolysis has on non-ferrous materials and I'm not sure about trying to remove and then subsequently reuse pressed in bushes and the like, so I think that method may well be out of the picture.

What this leaves me with is:

Cleaning it all up by hand - soapy water, degreaser, wire wool, wire brush and all that, or

Blasting - which is much more fun.

Done carefully with appropriate masking blasting will be fine for just about everything left. I have a blast cabinet, a gun, media - and a poncy little compressor that only runs the gun for about 12 seconds.

I do have a much more enthusiastic compressor, but it's incomplete and what I have of it is all in bits and in need of some work...

Anyone want to see an "air compressor build/rebuild" thread as a bit of a lathe interlude? Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 26 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, there's no reason to have to run a jack shaft ball bearing on oil, it's well within the speed limits of grease lubrication. What makes you say that the zerks are for oil?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 26 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
What makes you say that the zerks are for oil?

There's a couple of little things. One is this:

https://i.imgur.com/Fb3fZeB.jpg

And the other is this:

Smart and Brown in the Instructions for the operation and maintenance of the precision centre lathe model ''L'' wrote:

The positions for the important oiling points are as follows:-
(other places)
Internal countershaft drive (when fitted) 2 oil nipples on top of countershaft bracket.
(other places)

We recommend that the complete lubrication of the machine should be carried out with DTE OIL LIGHT.

{illustrated}

So, while it wouldn't hurt to use a grease (as you say, the machine is hardly beyond the capabilities of grease) I would prefer to use oil.

For one thing, oil doesn't introduce the same drag as grease does (the balls in the races don't have to plough through a layer of grease) so the motor gets a slightly easier time of it and can transfer that little bit more power through the transmission and, as an aside, to get to the coutershaft oilers you have to open a door which means you have an extra excuse to glance at the belting every time you lube.

And, as we all know, every time you lube should be just before you use the machine. Or as someone else put it:

Smart and Brown in the Instructions for the operation and maintenance of the precision centre lathe model ''L'' wrote:

Lubrication is of paramount importance, and the oil gun supplied in the tool kit should be used daily before starting up the machine.

I have to find an oil gun sometime.....

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I said the motor pulley had a bit of damage on it... The centre boss looks like it was fitted to the motor with a little help from something hard-ish.

https://i.imgur.com/4apzao2.jpg

That's not a problem at all though, it'll file/machine flat and look a lot better (not that it really looks bad now, but, y'know).

A bit of a worse problem is one of the belt channels.

https://i.imgur.com/Akk6Fjs.jpg

I think it's either been used as a place to put a puller to remove it from a shaft in the past, or it got hit to do the same thing. Of course, it might just have been dropped or something fell against it etc.

It's possible that there might just be enough material left that I could turn it down a shade to give me enough of a surface to run a belt on - this channel is for the highest speed so it may or may not end up being an issue.

A possible plan is to leave the compressor pulley on the motor to run the lathe at first then I can work on this pulley.

I'll probably do some bits and pieces / updates in between stuff on the compressor, but the bulk of it is now waiting until I can clean it properly.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:39 - 29 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop over the homeandworkshop in Sidcup (open until 1pm on saturdays), they have a box full of pulleys you can rifle through, usually a fiver a pop. You'll get a cup of tea thrust in your hand as you walk through the door Smile

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 01 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Pop over the homeandworkshop in Sidcup (open until 1pm on saturdays), they have a box full of pulleys you can rifle through, usually a fiver a pop. You'll get a cup of tea thrust in your hand as you walk through the door Smile

I suppose I should update my location at some point - sidcup is a bit far from South Wiltshire to really classify as 'pop'...

Well worth knowing about though, sounds/looks like an interesting place to stop in for a rummage if I'm anywhere near .

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 13 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No updates yet.....

Soon though, I had a play with the blasting cabinet and the door still opens and everything.

paddlesat16
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:05 - 25 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project Very Happy

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 26 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now the paint has had a few days to go off nicely I suppose I'd better get on with some other bits Wink

Y'know that playing with my blaster I did? I did some (a little) more.

Before, quite scabby... It can be seen in the picture that I had a bit of a scrape at it but quite quickly gave up on that as a silly idea given all the crooks and nannies that are bloody awkward to get into.

https://i.imgur.com/J5zUoi6.jpg

So I wanged it in the cabinet with the switch panel bezel and blew some smashed up glass at them for a little while.

https://i.imgur.com/ALUz0hb.jpg

I think it came out quite nice myself.

Plan is to pretty much leave most of the alu (or whatever light/softish metal they decided to cast these bits from) bare post-blasting, maybe give them a wipe over with something wax based to keep them sort-of shiny.

As I've managed to rearrange some work things I may just have a little teeny bit more time here and there, so hopefully some more will get done - but as this is the busy season for me it won't be moving quite so quickly as before...

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 17 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, I had something to do that would have been a 10 minute easy job with a lathe, but some lazy bastard hasn't finished it yet so the 'little 10minute job' turned into aaaaaggggeeessss with a drill and some files...

More soon.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 01 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I thought I'd get the lid off the headstock.

The headstock body is iron and the lid is aluminium (or similar) so it means different treatment is required for them, plus it's hinged and painting over hinges isn't something I do.

I say hinged, it has pressed in pins for hinging duties...

One of the pins was in a through drilled hole, so a little heat applied and it drifted out quite easily really - the other one is in a blind hole and driven just under flush. I tried many things to get it out, I swore at it, I wobbled the lid around, I looked at it sternly and nothing worked.

So I drilled it out, which snapped the drill bit - it came out though, and the snapped bit gave me the opportunity for:

https://youtu.be/pXwPyZspAR0

But, got the lid off so another bit getting there.

https://i.imgur.com/bGX42qx.jpg

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 02 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job so far with all of the lathes shown.My little Myford ML7 has already been used for several bits of work even though I have not finished renovating it yet.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/Picture449.jpg

And I can second that place in Sidcup/Foots Cray.The stuff I have seen in there would keep a budding mechanical engineer happy for years Wink Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4