Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB250RS. Because it looked so sorry for itself.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 25 Nov 2014    Post subject: CB250RS. Because it looked so sorry for itself. Reply with quote

So.

I've had this CB250RS sitting around the workshop for a few years now. I never got chance to do anything with it after buying it and no one wanted to buy it off me.

I have decided to give it a new lease of life and try take it racing in a 250 Singles class somewhere, some how. Laughing ( If not, ill take it on some trackdays, just for the hell of it ). It has a V5 and a plate so it could also be put back on the road.

https://s7.postimg.org/qkojalj97/10606344_10152649586627250_1589321661919365421_n.jpg

I had never heard it run or even tried. So I took the top end off to check. The cam looks like it has been starved slightly at some point in its life but looks salvageable. If not, ill get some shells put into the head instead. The big end is fine as is the bore and piston. Most of the rocker cover threads are stripped, which is nothing new on these engines.

After this the bike was torn down to the frame and sent away for blasting and powdercoating. No real nasties found other than the 2 rear engine mount bolts snapped upon removing the engine.

Back from the coaters and with the forks built up, new taper roller headstock bearings installed, new swingarm needle roller bearings also installed ( I have left the footpegs off for now as I am drawing up some rearsets to be waterjet cut for the bike). This is how it currently sits....

https://s11.postimg.org/9bc21yw4z/10675603_10152873860212250_8556450140586025503_n.jpg

APT Motorcycles

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 26 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love yer........... cos of CB250RS. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 26 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could get excited enough to pull out my old KMX200 from under the workbench and get a motor for it and fix it up into a green laner.

Theres too much old Rover in the garage though so I can't get to it, and that's the best excuse I've had in years!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little bike..........I've run one as a 'hack bike' for 12 years. As long as the cam/head interface isn't phukt and you change the oil every 1000 miles it'll run for years.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 27 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil DO NOT RACE THIS BIKE Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Make it all nice and roadworthy , then give it to me Thumbs Up Smile

So sad to think that this will be thrashed to within an inch of it`s life on a race track and then scrapped Sad

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 27 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil DO NOT RACE THIS BIKE Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Make it all nice and roadworthy , then give it to me Thumbs Up Smile

So sad to think that this will be thrashed to within an inch of it`s life on a race track and then scrapped Sad

There is still loads of these things around.

I dont really scrap bikes, they just end up in bits and get used to build other bikes. I have a TZR125R in bits that I've sold enough bits off of to double my money on, so the rest of it gets used to create other machines. The front brembo MC and the quick action throttle will be used on this 250 for example....

APT Motorcycles

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:56 - 27 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: CB250RS. Because it looked so sorry for itself. Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:
I have decided to give it a new lease of life and try take it racing in a 250 Singles class somewhere, some how.

Is this a thing? Have I missed it? I have a CBX250RS-E that would be good for this if I put it back together..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 28 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear teffers fapping from here.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 17 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/DbnGQbA.jpg

Engine meets frame.

One wheel built with new seals, bearings and a Sava race tyre. ( Seen in background ).

Only get the odd hour after work at the moment to do anything so it will be very slow going.

APT Motorcycles

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:39 - 17 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago there was an article in one of the monthly mags, it was either a reader feature or the mag had done it, they made some mods (cant remember what) anyway the result was they ended up with was it did 100mph and when ridden normally it would do 100mpg, that would be great for the daily ride to work.

A mate also had one he put an XR250 (honda enduro) engine in it, sounded great went so much better than standard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the '80's I did a track day at Mallory Park, there were Laverdas/Hondas,Yams/Kawas putting some good times, tyres 'feathered' to the edges front and rear and there was some hero on a CB250RS giving most of 'em a hard time on the corners especially round Gerrards. He obviously got eaten up on the straights but by 'eck was he a pesdt on the twiddly bits.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottT wrote:
Many years ago there was an article in one of the monthly mags, it was either a reader feature or the mag had done it, they made some mods (cant remember what) anyway the result was they ended up with was it did 100mph and when ridden normally it would do 100mpg, that would be great for the daily ride to work.

I will be chopping up the motad system to bolt a more 'crash friendly' can on. I would also like to find a flatslide carb to fit it, one off a 250 motocross bike or a DRZ400 for example. More as an experiment than anything else.

If I could get it to do 100mph with me aboard I would be impressed. Laughing

But I think the only real way to keep up with bigger bikes on this is to carry as much speed as possible, everywhere. Laughing

The wheels are back in it now, just so it is easier to work on. Pics to follow.

APT Motorcycles

expat200
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:07 - 19 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a guy who raced one in Earlystocks in 91-92, Ade Hawkins (maybe, not sure on his last name).

Not sure it what he had done to it but it went well. He lost out to the X7s and RD250s on the straights but not by as much as you would think and his cornering was scary fast.

The noise level on the bike was acceptable for practice but the exhaust baffle always mysteriously blew out on the start line giving loads more power, relatively speaking.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 19 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
In the '80's I did a track day at Mallory Park, there were Laverdas/Hondas,Yams/Kawas putting some good times, tyres 'feathered' to the edges front and rear and there was some hero on a CB250RS giving most of 'em a hard time on the corners especially round Gerrards. He obviously got eaten up on the straights but by 'eck was he a pesdt on the twiddly bits.

I suspect it had a Doohan paint job, the rider was pictured on a PB trackday at Mallory pissing on a lot of other riders fires.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s13.postimg.org/r1ic6q613/1507637_10152935719262250_8314286920834924697_n.jpg

Needs taller shocks.

APT Motorcycles

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/4hlagzU.jpg

Wink

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Hitler wrote:

Wink

I have a KX250 engine upstairs in bits....

But cant be arsed to fit it.

APT Motorcycles

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try TECBIKEPARTS for shocks cheap enough and seem pretty good have them on my gsx and seem to hold up well with the weight of it.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

kat250 wrote:
Try TECBIKEPARTS for shocks cheap enough and seem pretty good have them on my gsx and seem to hold up well with the weight of it.

Thanks for the link.

I already have a set of shocks from YSS lined up for the bike as I could do with them having a finer preload adjustment and some damping adjustment also.

The forks have been built with 25wt fork oil and '5p' of preload already. Makes them less like pogo-sticks. Laughing

The front caliper is now on and roughly plumbed in with a brembo MC from a TZR and braided line.

APT Motorcycles

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

you still can get XL250 big bore kits used on ebay.com from the states

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 25 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the XL500 engines drop straight in? Wink

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 25 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
Don't the XL500 engines drop straight in? Wink

It is a well known mod.

If i do end up racing it in a 250 singles class, it cannot be modified internally from stock. It can have an exhaust and a different carb. So I'll just leave it like this for now.

The exhaust will probably be made up of a set of motad downpipes ( which have a hole in them ), a one off link pipe to angle the exhaust can a bit higher ( more ground clearance ) with an after market can on. Id like to get it made as one piece in the end though.

Ordered a set of clip ons for it and a new clutch lever and perch so I dont have to use the stock one with all the switch gear attached.

Managed to get some Suzuki white paint from a GSXR for it, so the tank and panels will be done in this colour. The tank has been blasted and is filler and rot free!

APT Motorcycles

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 06 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clip ons and clutch perch have arrived and been fitted. The bracket for the master cylinder res was a bit rushed. Quick action throttle from a TZR125R along with the master cylinder and the reservoir is from a speed triple..... Laughing

https://s3.postimg.org/v7q92pltf/10891836_10153001035012250_6584411280320027789_n.jpg

Standard footpeg mounts have been fitted for now. The pillion peg mount is near enough to where I need the pegs to be for the time being so will just bolt the pegs directly to the bracket from the back.

https://s29.postimg.org/4a8w69jqv/10891833_10153000646097250_4068568971263188675_n.jpg
https://s30.postimg.org/n055foowh/10891808_10153001034332250_1385518407314428552_n.jpg

Here's how it sits now. I have a set of shocks on the way for it from YSS. The stock shock length is miles too short so the rear will be jacked up a good 30mm so it sits less like a chopper! Laughing

https://s28.postimg.org/t0p27czl9/10653860_10153000645277250_2953070900142792774_n.jpg

APT Motorcycles

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Right that`s it I`m angry now Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Shocked
If you continue to make this good and ready for the track , I swear to God I will take you off my Christmas card list! I mean it Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2